Marshawn Lynch to hold out of training camp

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I read where Pete said that Michael's injury is not too serious but I wonder if it helps Lynch here a bit?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
HansGruber":3im2t2k9 said:
And if he really wants a Superbowl bonus like I heard, someone needs to point him to the box score. Broncos shut him down and it was Russell putting up those 27 pts.
Most times you get a bit crazy but on this you're spot on and the reason I'm not worried no matter how it shakes out.

samwize77

Reaction score
I was just thinking. I'm sure when Marshawn inked his deal with the Hawks he was represented by an agent right? And I'm pretty sure that agent and Beast signed a contract dictating what the agents percentage would be. Now, what if that agent, now 2 years into that contract with Beast says to Beast..."I want a bigger percentage from our contract, because you aren't going to be playing much longer" ...after Beast kicks his ass what do you think Beast will say to him?

I'm all for that agent asking Beast for more $. Doesn't hurt to ask right? But what do you honesty think Marshawn would say? I'm pretty sure it would be no..."we have a contract"..am I probably right?

Basis4day

Reaction score
samwize77":1tfwbric said:
I was just thinking. I'm sure when Marshawn inked his deal with the Hawks he was represented by an agent right? And I'm pretty sure that agent and Beast signed a contract dictating what the agents percentage would be. Now, what if that agent, now 2 years into that contract with Beast says to Beast..."I want a bigger percentage from our contract, because you aren't going to be playing much longer" ...after Beast kicks his ass what do you think Beast will say to him?

I'm all for that agent asking Beast for more $. Doesn't hurt to ask right? But what do you honesty think Marshawn would say? I'm pretty sure it would be no..."we have a contract"..am I probably right?

The agent works for Lynch, not the other way around. This is not the reason Lynch is holding out.

TAB420

Reaction score
Basis4day":2jpe0ikf said:
samwize77":2jpe0ikf said:

The agent works for Lynch, not the other way around. This is not the reason Lynch is holding out.

I think you missed the point on this one.

AgentDib

Reaction score
It's very silly to talk about "honoring the contract" because both parties are doing just that. The entire point of a contract is that if one party does not fulfill the terms then the other party can sue to force them to do so.

Teams honor their contracts even when they cut players. When you rent an apartment you will most likely sign a contract that stipulates an early termination fee if you break the lease early. If you then break the lease early but pay the fee you still fulfill the contract you agreed to. Breaking the contract would involve failing to pay the termination fee and like any broken contract may end up with both parties in court. Similarly, if a team cuts a player they still honor the specifics of the contract which may include penalties in the form of guaranteed dollars.

Players also honor their contracts even when they are holding out. There are protections built in for the clubs just like there are protections built in for the players, and the contract spells out how much the team may fine the player for missing each type of activity. Unless Marshawn is refusing to pay the fines then he is still honoring the contract.

Finally, there is no fault to be found as long as both sides are fulfilling the contract. It isn't a moral issue and the only reason both sides are trying to make it one is because they think it gives them a small advantage in negotiations.

Whether this is in Marshawn's best interest or not is a different matter. A short holdout does not hurt him very much and may be worth it if his agent is convinced that there could be more guaranteed dollars on the table this summer. A lengthy holdout would seem very ill-advised given that we have good (inexpensive) depth at the RB position and if the running game looks capable without him then the FO would start thinking about how much his salary could help to extend players next off-season.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
HansGruber":2ao2656d said:
And if he really wants a Superbowl bonus like I heard, someone needs to point him to the box score. Broncos shut him down and it was Russell putting up those 27 pts.
Yeah it was totally awful how the offensive line blocked perfectly every play but Lynch lazily did nothing.

Get outta here with box score analysis.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Well, it's going to get real... real fast. Thus far he has lost $120k.

If the club views today's day off as part of training camp, then Marshawn will forfeit $900k (of his signing bonus) if he doesn't report tomorrow morning.

Or alternatively, if they don't view today as a day of TC, then Marshawn stands to lose the $900k if he doesn't report on Wednesday.

And assuming he loses the $900k, he racks up another $60k/day for the following 10 days.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":c650bvrj said:

If the club views today's day off as part of training camp, then Marshawn will forfeit $900k (of his signing bonus) if he doesn't report tomorrow morning.

Or alternatively, if they don't view today as a day of TC, then Marshawn stands to lose the $900k if he doesn't report on Wednesday.

And assuming he loses the $900k, he racks up another $60k/day for the following 10 days.

Everyone always talks about the fines piling up, but it seems like after a new agreement is reached the team/league always waives the accumulated fines.

We all understand the intent of the holdout fines, but from a player's perspective it doesn't seem like a big deterrent because they know once a new agreement is reached it's common policy for the fines to be waived.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2notactl said:
onanygivensunday":2notactl said:

Everyone always talks about the fines piling up, but it seems like after a new agreement is reached the team/league always waives the accumulated fines.

We all understand the intent of the holdout fines, but from a player's perspective it doesn't seem like a big deterrent because they know once a new agreement is reached it's common policy for the fines to be waived.
Certainly... no disagreement with what you stated if the player prevails... but my sense is, he won't.

Giedi

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":374tvk82 said:
Marshawn may not be the brightest bulb on the tree, but I think that he can figure out that loosing $30,000 a day is definitely going to cut into his earnings. I agree with John Clayton that this hold out ends by day 7. $200,000 ain't nothing to sneeze at!
I agree. I think the CBA, which is another contract that is even more powerful than the individual player contracts severely punishes holdouts.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":21dhzidr said:
Sgt. Largent":21dhzidr said:
onanygivensunday":21dhzidr said:

Certainly... no disagreement with what you stated if the player prevails... but my sense is, he won't.

If I was the owners, I'd fight for the fines to NOT be able to be waived in the next CBA. That way this deterrent actually has teeth, and players would think twice about holding out for new deals.

Seems like even if players show up a month later without a new deal the fines are waived.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Sgt. Largent":2lezv01l said:
onanygivensunday":2lezv01l said:
Sgt. Largent":2lezv01l said:
onanygivensunday":2lezv01l said:

If I was the owners, I'd fight for the fines to NOT be able to be waived in the next CBA. That way this deterrent actually has teeth, and players would think twice about holding out for new deals.

If I was the players, I would gladly do that in exchange for an early termination penalty wherein seventy-five cents of every dollar left on the contract is guaranteed to the player in case of early contract termination. That way, organizations don't simply structure deals with a final year or final two years that they never intend to pay. We could make that early termination penalty cap-exempt, if it helps.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Scottemojo":hfmu5kw6 said:
HansGruber":hfmu5kw6 said:
Yeah it was totally awful how the offensive line blocked perfectly every play but Lynch lazily did nothing.

Get outta here with box score analysis.

When did I ever argue anything remotely similar to that strawman nonsense? My argument is that the Broncos said they were going to focus on stopping Marshawn, which they did. They did an excellent job of shutting down Lynch, while allowing a ton of rushing yards to Wilson and Harvin.

Are you arguing that isn't true?

Marshawn had 39 yards on 15 carries, 2.7ypc average. That is worse than he did when our two starting tackles and starting center were out injured. Denver was obviously focused on stopping Lynch and they were successful in doing so. Or perhaps you'd like to argue otherwise. I'm all ears. Go ahead.

My point was that the rest of the team stepped up and performed when they had to. Marshawn put 7 points on the board. Russell Wilson and the rest of the offense put up 20 points. Is that inaccurate? How am I mistaken? Are you arguing that the rest of our offense is not capable of scoring and running efficient drives without Marshawn, or that we were incapable of doing so in the Superbowl (which WAS my argument)? No? So.... what is your point? Do you have one?

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Lynch is making a mistake if he thinks he has any power, he doesn't. If he has any sense, he will report on Turesday. The Hawks have openly stated his touches will go down (commanding less, not more dollars) and his contract was more than fair when he signed it. The Hawks owe him nothing.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":3cfkbxaw said:
Lynch is making a mistake if he thinks he has any power, he doesn't. If he has any sense, he will report on Turesday. The Hawks have openly stated his touches will go down (commanding less, not more dollars) and his contract was more than fair when he signed it. The Hawks owe him nothing.

He does has 1 power...he can flat out retire, if he does, he'll lose his paycheck for this year, but at the same time we all will kiss any chance of a repeat good bye. I can see this team getting to the playoffs (perhaps even deep) without Lynch, but I just can't see us winning another championship without him. Maybe in a few years when CM can prove he is a worthy/better replacement, and the FO can retain/grow talent. But this year's success still relies on Marshawn Lynch being #1 RB.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ZagHawk":vv1sqsvx said:
seahawk12thman":vv1sqsvx said:

He does has 1 power...he can flat out retire, if he does, he'll lose his paycheck for this year, but at the same time we all will kiss any chance of a repeat good bye. I can see this team getting to the playoffs (perhaps even deep) without Lynch, but I just can't see us winning another championship without him. Maybe in a few years when CM can prove he is a worthy/better replacement, and the FO can retain/grow talent. But this year's success still relies on Marshawn Lynch being #1 RB.

If Lynch retires, then he was obviously lying about what M-Rob said as to why he wanted more money.........for his foundation.

7M goes a lot more towards a foundation than 0M.

HansGruber

Reaction score
ZagHawk":b9tsf7cs said:
seahawk12thman":b9tsf7cs said:

He won't retire. He'd lose more money than continuing to hold out. According to Clayton, he'd owe $3m of his signing bonus that the Seahawks could go after. Dude just bought a $400k Lamborghini.

He'll be in camp by Wednesday.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":vq5zqxpr said:
ZagHawk":vq5zqxpr said:
seahawk12thman":vq5zqxpr said:

If Lynch retires, then he was obviously lying about what M-Rob said as to why he wanted more money.........for his foundation.

7M goes a lot more towards a foundation than 0M.
The seahawks can also go after his signing bonus. Lynch is dead to rights. He has no power in this situation and I strongly disagree this team can't win without Lynch. I think we are going to see a vastly improved oline, we will be just fine in the running game.

Hawk fans remember how dominant the LOB was against our receivers last year? Yes they were interviewing our "pedestrian" receivers about what it was like to go against them(in other words what it was like to get dominated by them). This year I am hearing about Balwin, and Harvin DOMINATING and Richardson, Lockette and Norwood more than holding their own. I want Lynch but the choice is clear; the hawks cannot cave unless we want future hold outs especially with two years remaining.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":34zcw0ck said:
If I was the players, I would gladly do that in exchange for an early termination penalty wherein seventy-five cents of every dollar left on the contract is guaranteed to the player in case of early contract termination. That way, organizations don't simply structure deals with a final year or final two years that they never intend to pay. We could make that early termination penalty cap-exempt, if it helps.
The players get a big signing bonus and guaranteed portions and that is the reason the players have said it is ok to get cut. The owners would gladly take fully guaranteed contracts if the players wanted that. The contracts would just not be as large, not have signing bonuses and there would be less contracts being signed overall (which the players don't like).