Marshawn Lynch to hold out of training camp

pocketprotector

Reaction score
kidhawk":2pikeyvn said:
pocketprotector":2pikeyvn said:
Scottemojo":2pikeyvn said:
I still think this is about 2015. If Lynch can move some of 2015's money to this year, he lessens the chance he gets cut next year as well.

And increases the chances that he holds out or retires next year.

So? Pete and John have said that they have a plan. I have a strong feeling (and Lynch likely does too) that the plan doesn't include Lynch for the long term. He'd be wise to get a little of that money moved to this year, because if Michael has progressed nearly as far as they say he has, then he'll likely be our back of the future starting next season. If Lynch holds out that may move up to this year if he can overtake Turbin (which is a strong possibility)

Why should the team give him more money this year?

kidhawk

Reaction score
pocketprotector":3l17pmy3 said:
kidhawk":3l17pmy3 said:
pocketprotector":3l17pmy3 said:
Scottemojo":3l17pmy3 said:
I still think this is about 2015. If Lynch can move some of 2015's money to this year, he lessens the chance he gets cut next year as well.

So? Pete and John have said that they have a plan. I have a strong feeling (and Lynch likely does too) that the plan doesn't include Lynch for the long term. He'd be wise to get a little of that money moved to this year, because if Michael has progressed nearly as far as they say he has, then he'll likely be our back of the future starting next season. If Lynch holds out that may move up to this year if he can overtake Turbin (which is a strong possibility)

Why should the team give him more money this year?

Where did I say they should? I said that I'd try to get more this year into this year if I were Lynch, because odds are high that the team doesn't plan to pay him next year.

pocketprotector

Reaction score
If I were Lynch I would hope I would be smart enough to realize that I have zero leverage, and that holding out will cost me money, serve as a distraction to the team, and hurt my efforts to prepare for the season.

kidhawk

Reaction score
pocketprotector":292aeqxq said:
If I were Lynch I would hope I would be smart enough to realize that I have zero leverage, and that holding out will cost me money, serve as a distraction to the team, and hurt my efforts to prepare for the season.

He knows it costs him money and that is his perogative

It's not a distraction to the team. They will move forward and do what they need to do. These guys are all business on the field. Anyone paying attention to the Seahawks knows this

It doesn't hurt his efforts to prepare. He knows the offense. He can and does workout on his own. He doesn't even practice most of the time during the season. If he ends his holdout and comes back, he'll be just fine.

To go another step further, the team will not only move on while he's out, they will be able to give extra number 1 reps to Turbin and Michael to see what they have to offer. This is a positive for the team.

If the holdout goes into the season, that changes things, but we haven't even gotten past day 1 of the pre season yet. It's way too early to be chicken little

hawk45

Reaction score
Lynch is such a high effort guy and key cog I don't mind him trying for more if it's just a little extra.

That said, JS is a high effort guy, even more of a cog than Lynch, and I trust the guy so I won't say word one whatever Schneid does.

If it turns ugly I won't sour on Lynch, I will think it's a shame and a bad decision by him though. He has a very solid contract and a ring, and not much leverage so I just hope he realizes this and doesn't get disgruntled. Hope he's thinking hey, why not take a flyer and see what happens, I can arrive for preseason or heck game one.

chris98251

Reaction score
Read a piece that stated they have been talking for 4 months, restructure without additional money happens all the time when a franchise wants to free up money, going the other direction isn't something that sounds out of the question, just moving the details forward like a club would move details back farther. I am sure that things are not as heated as the press wants us to believe since they have been talking for so long.

HansGruber

Reaction score
I love Beast Mode but ya know what? Screw him.

He's risking a lot more than just 30k/day. He's putting the entire team at risk by forcing a bad precedent the year before Wilson signs. There's no way the team budges and I pray they don't. Lynch got a blockbuster deal, nobody would pay him that much or more this season. He knows it too and that's why he's threatening to retire instead of asking for a trade. I'd trade him to the Dolphins for a conditional 4/5th and send a message. Your greed just cost you another ring and the HoF. Good luck and enjoy the results of your actions. Anyone else got a complaint? Didn't think so. And I'm making sure Sherman sees it.

As far as I'm concerned, you put Turbin and Michael out there with Wilson and Harvin and we don't lose much.

And like I said, good luck getting more than 7.5/yr in this league. You're already overpaid.

kidhawk

Reaction score
HansGruber":12b0c633 said:
I love Beast Mode but ya know what? Screw him.

He's risking a lot more than just 30k/day. He's putting the entire team at risk by forcing a bad precedent the year before Wilson signs. There's no way the team budges and I pray they don't. Lynch got a blockbuster deal, nobody would pay him that much or more this season. He knows it too and that's why he's threatening to retire instead of asking for a trade. I'd trade him to the Dolphins for a conditional 4/5th and send a message. Your greed just cost you another ring and the HoF. Good luck and enjoy the results of your actions. Anyone else got a complaint? Didn't think so. And I'm making sure Sherman sees it.

As far as I'm concerned, you put Turbin and Michael out there with Wilson and Harvin and we don't lose much.

And like I said, good luck getting more than 7.5/yr in this league. You're already overpaid.

2 things I see that I must disagree with. Lynch isn't forcing a bad precedent....at least not that we know of. We don't know exactly what he is asking for. The only way there's a bad precedent is if the front office allows it, and I think most of us can agree that Schneider won't set a bad precedent here.

The second bit is this $7.5 million figure. Lynch is not making that much money this year. Lynch is set to make $5 million with a roster bonus of $500,000. Our dead money figure is $3 million if we cut him. Next year he is due $5 million with a roster bonus of $2 million, which most expect he'll never see, at least not if Michael pans out how we hope.

getnasty

Reaction score
I love Lynch but i am comfortable with calling his bluff. We have a ton of options at RB and if Lynch being gone means a increased roll for Russell and the WR's then so be it.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
I dont think Lynch is creating a bad precedent. Players hold out all the time. Its really their only "so called' leverage. I would say it s a worse precedent for the head coach to call the player out in the media. Now you have Baldwin spouting off on his views in the media. Players vs Coach is never a good thing.

kearly

Reaction score
warden":2rgnylju said:
Walter Jones is the exception not the norm

Regardless, dude held out.

All things considered, it worked out very well for him. And us.

kearly

Reaction score
pocketprotector":opom2y53 said:

Nah.

Well, maybe retirement.

Then again, money matters to Marshawn. I don't think he would walk away if he had five or six million still left on the table in 2015.

kearly

Reaction score
Bob loblaw":1l71kh58 said:
Now you have Baldwin spouting off on his views in the media. Players vs Coach is never a good thing.

I 100% agree with Baldwin. That said, the ink has barely dried on his new contract and you can already tell that he is being less careful than before with his public statements, no doubt a direct result of his current job security. He should probably start reigning it in, otherwise it's just a matter of time before he steps in something and creates distractions for his football team.

pocketprotector

Reaction score
kidhawk":124tfxt1 said:
The second bit is this $7.5 million figure. Lynch is not making that much money this year. Lynch is set to make $5 million with a roster bonus of $500,000. Our dead money figure is $3 million if we cut him. Next year he is due $5 million with a roster bonus of $2 million, which most expect he'll never see, at least not if Michael pans out how we hope.
4 years/30+ mil, simple math brother.

drdiags

Reaction score
Bladwin already admitted in his Fresh Files stream that he was seriously considering leaving the Seahawks based on the disrepect he felt the team showed him during negotiations. He lost a little of that rookie idealism where he was happy the team gave him a chance and he saw himself being here forever.

Reality of the cold business side of the NFL flies in the face of the All In concept, yet it worked. But maybe Mora and others had a point about young players not knowing better. Another reason to keep a very young club and having less jail-house lawyers.

Lynch may deserve a little more but I don't see how the team can make him happy with the upcoming contract most expect for Wilson and some of the young LBs and Avril coming due.

It has been awhile since you had one of those Galloway-type holdouts. We will see if the experts are correct about this coming to a head within 6-days.

Tical21

Reaction score
Doug Baldwin is damn annoying. There, I said it.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
pocketprotector":1p63wb5k said:
kidhawk":1p63wb5k said:
4 years/30+ mil, simple math brother.

You do understand all 4 years are not equally split. Right?