Marshawn Lynch to hold out of training camp

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":3k7w9awp said:
HawkFan72":3k7w9awp said:
SeaChase":3k7w9awp said:
Isn't there a nice stat about players who hold out? Where they usually have a lackluster year...

Yeah Chris Clemons was terrible here.

And Walter Jones was terrible as well.

Yea, but it's about RB's that hold out. And it's a true stat, just couldn't find it. Chris Johnson, Matt Forte, etc. etc.

I honestly think this is a lose/lose. I can see it causing hard feelings and having issues. The Hawks have publicy said that they won't pay him more money.

Lynch told Robinson that he wanted his money from next year front loaded to this year because he thinks they'll cut him next year with his huge cap hit. It makes sense on his end as we still have some cap room (which they obviously want to roll over) and he probably figures if he can get his money now, he'll get more of his money next year, and also stay with the team.

I wanted Lynch to stay here the duration of his contract, even if it means the younger guys sit out longer. Ride that horse until it's tired, as there really isn't a replacement for Lynch, just substitutions.

Faulk had a career year after he held out, but don't let that fact get in the way of a perfectly sound argument

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawks46":3tunmjj8 said:
Lynch told Robinson that he wanted his money from next year front loaded to this year because he thinks they'll cut him next year with his huge cap hit. It makes sense on his end as we still have some cap room (which they obviously want to roll over) and he probably figures if he can get his money now, he'll get more of his money next year, and also stay with the team.

Lynch shouldn't have signed a new contract two years ago if he wanted it frontloaded. He knew he might not see his 2M roster bonus in 2015, so why ask for it now?

IMO it was fair contract two years ago, and it's still a fair contract. I get that he wants more money, but saying you want more money just because all your teammates got fat contracts isn't going to cut it. As a player, you have to have leverage, and right now we have two other capable backs that can carry the rock, and one of them might be one of the best Hawk RB's ever.

So leverage is not in his corner, nor is his age, and nor is the Hawks cap situation with Wilson and other's coming up next year.

General Manager

Reaction score
Clayton says 6 days or the fines really start to hurt . So my guess is he's probably right and if he doesn't show he will retire and we move on. So if it goes longer than 6 days it will get ugly.

kidhawk

Reaction score
General Manager":3g1usrty said:
Clayton says 6 days or the fines really start to hurt . So my guess is he's probably right and if he doesn't he will retire and we move on. So if it goes longer than 6 days it will get ugly.

I believe that after a certain point (I believe after 5 days), the team can push to get a portion of his signing bonus back on top of fines if the holdout continues.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2qqjwyqw said:
Is it bad that I would actually be fine with Marshawn holding out the first two regular season games so that Christine Michael is an every-down back for those games and we can see what he brings? :oops:

(I feel like a traitor even saying that, because I love Marshawn and want him to remain a Seahawk for years to come yet, but I'm also very anxious to see what Michael can do.)

(dont feel bad, I was watching some of training camp today and CM looks a lot like Tiki in the way he carried the ball. I am just a little curious myself.) :mrgreen:

General Manager

Reaction score
kidhawk":2kbcsnmr said:
General Manager":2kbcsnmr said:
Clayton says 6 days or the fines really start to hurt . So my guess is he's probably right and if he doesn't he will retire and we move on. So if it goes longer than 6 days it will get ugly.

I believe that after a certain point (I believe after 5 days), the team can push to get a portion of his signing bonus back on top of fines if the holdout continues.

He also said if he gets a restructure they can waive that and he could get back the money from the fines to so we'll see.

kearly

Reaction score
Barthawk":5ll3kqjk said:
Walter never once staged a hold-out. He was never under contract those years when he was tagged. You cannot "hold-out" if you are not under contract.

Yup, he was franchised. Three times!

And he held out three times. Three straight years without participating until the regular season from 2002-2004. I agree with DavidSeven, the difference between a typical holdout and a franchise tag holdout is semantics and not much else. Whether you are tagged and unsigned or under contract, you aren't going anywhere.

FWIW, I have nothing against any player who believes he is underpaid and does not have another big payday in his future. Also, I think Lynch's supposed demands are both minor and well reasoned. I think PC/JS should come to terms with him rather than let this turn into a pissing match over something minor.

kearly

Reaction score
That's great news SacHawk. I think that's most of what Lynch wanted anyway.

General Manager

Reaction score
kearly":1k3c0mj3 said:
That's great news SacHawk. I think that's most of what Lynch wanted anyway.

It's the smart move Lynch is a huge part of the offense . A restructure was all he was going to get anyway.

warden

Reaction score
kearly":3ur76ezd said:
Barthawk":3ur76ezd said:
Walter never once staged a hold-out. He was never under contract those years when he was tagged. You cannot "hold-out" if you are not under contract.

Yup, he was franchised. Three times!

And he held out three times. Three straight years without participating until the regular season from 2002-2004. I agree with DavidSeven, the difference between a typical holdout and a franchise tag holdout is semantics and not much else. Whether you are tagged and unsigned or under contract, you aren't going anywhere.

Walter Jones is the exception not the norm

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I still think this is about 2015. If Lynch can move some of 2015's money to this year, he lessens the chance he gets cut next year as well.

Largent80

Reaction score
Totally agree. Give him all the money from his last year, because this wad is shot after the coming season.

Offer an incentive that if he gets 1400 yards and the Hawks make the bowl, an extension is possible.

But I think most of us know what will happen.....maybe, kinda-sorta.

pocketprotector

Reaction score
Scottemojo":idpo5q7s said:
I still think this is about 2015. If Lynch can move some of 2015's money to this year, he lessens the chance he gets cut next year as well.

And increases the chances that he holds out or retires next year.

kidhawk

Reaction score
pocketprotector":2vd98d9b said:
Scottemojo":2vd98d9b said:

And increases the chances that he holds out or retires next year.

So? Pete and John have said that they have a plan. I have a strong feeling (and Lynch likely does too) that the plan doesn't include Lynch for the long term. He'd be wise to get a little of that money moved to this year, because if Michael has progressed nearly as far as they say he has, then he'll likely be our back of the future starting next season. If Lynch holds out that may move up to this year if he can overtake Turbin (which is a strong possibility)