Marshawn Lynch to hold out of training camp

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I never like it when someone holds out, so I don't like that he is holding out. Hope it can resolved soon.

pinksheets

Reaction score
I have no issue with what Marshawn is doing. That's the business model of the NFL and their contracts, lots of money not guaranteed, etc. The teams have flexibility to cut a player loose at the end, and the player's only recourse is to hold out when they still have leverage. He's not a dumb guy, he knows he's nearing the end, or else he wouldn't have talked about retirement in the past, so getting one last payday for potentially your last season of having any leverage is nothing but pragmatic, in my opinion. I hope he gets a little something, he deserves it.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I've got mixed feelings. I can understand his reasoning, as Marshawn has no guarantee he'll be around to get paid next year--especially if Turbo and C-Mike get more playing time this season and show they're ready to be a one-two punch in the future.

On the other hand, he got a nice deal that he wasn't really expecting just a couple of years ago, and he's getting paid top money in terms of that deal's guaranteed money. It seems as if he and his agent should have asked for a little more up front back then.

I also generally disagree with holdouts. We know he wasn't going to get a ton of reps in regular practice or preseason games anyway (Pete has said as much, and we know 'Shawn didn't do much last year), so it's not as if holding out means he'll be that much fresher for the regular season. What he will miss is important team meetings, workouts and walk-throughs. It seems a bit selfish to me. He can negotiate with the team and still attend training camp.

<shrug> Hopefully they get it worked out sooner rather than later, and this entire discussion will be moot.

Subzero717

Reaction score
If I was Marshawn and knowing what he means to the team, it would be hard not too feel maybe a bump was due. I know I would.

m0ng0

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":1hoh40h8 said:
If I was Marshawn and knowing what he means to the team, it would be hard not too feel maybe a bump was due. I know I would.
which is fine, tell the team what this bump is that you feel you deserve, stop playing bullshi*t games.....2 million 5 million 10 million, tell the team what you want and let the team tell you if they think he is worth it

firebee

Reaction score
keatonisballin":hq74a006 said:
So no one else is annoyed by this? I love the Beast but cmon man.

Not really... Jamaal Charles got inked to a new deal and now old man Roddy White just got inked to an extension. Rice just retired, which frees up cap money. If I was Lynch, I'd probably be thinking "Hey!!! These chumps are getting extended. I should be getting extended too."

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
keatonisballin":3ul4eplu said:

I am.....let him never play again....we have cmike. I think cmike this year would be an improvement over lynch at this point in his career with the miles he has on the tires.

pocketprotector

Reaction score
If Marshawn weren't so talented, he would be viewed as the world's biggest prick. As it is, people just say 'Marshawns being Marshawn'. This holdout is an unfortunate distraction.

Throwdown

Reaction score
pocketprotector":c9jffyfd said:
If Marshawn weren't so talented, he would be viewed as the world's biggest prick. As it is, people just say 'Marshawns being Marshawn'. This holdout is an unfortunate distraction.

If Marshawn weren't so talented this hold out wouldn't happen.

Just give the man some more dough, and let's keep it pushing for a 2nd title!

edogg23

Reaction score
Didn't Wilson grab a Lynch fumble on 4th and goal in the NFC championship game and save what looked like was going to be a potential 99 yard td? This thread would probably be a lot different if Wilson did t save his bacon that game.

kobebryant

Reaction score
He brings it on Sundays, deserves a raise, and I hope he gets one.

In fact, I want everyone to get more money; including each and every one of you. :thirishdrinkers:

chris98251

Reaction score
I think a good way to do it would be to pad some incentives into it, not sure which ones since he already probably does, but there should be a way to do something that ties to his and the teams performance.

HawkWow

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2owmwgej said:
keatonisballin":2owmwgej said:

I am.....let him never play again....we have cmike. I think cmike this year would be an improvement over lynch at this point in his career with the miles he has on the tires.

It's far more likely this "hold out' serves notice Michael is currently no threat to Lynch. Do you actually "think" Lynch would hold out and jeopardize the balance of his career (while saving the team millions) if Michael was breathing down his neck / wowing Pete?

Startling.

"Let him never play again".

Revealing.

Lynch will carry the ball in the 1 spot for the defending champs this year. Tell your friends. They'll think you're smart.

Anthony!

Reaction score
HawkWow":ih7qz8cx said:
ImTheScientist":ih7qz8cx said:
keatonisballin":ih7qz8cx said:

It's far more likely this "hold out' serves notice Michael is currently no threat to Lynch. Do you actually "think" Lynch would hold out and jeopardize the balance of his career (while saving the team millions) if Michael was breathing down his neck / wowing Pete?

Startling.

"Let him never play again".

Revealing.

Lynch will carry the ball in the 1 spot for the defending champs this year. Tell your friends. They'll think you're smart.

Lynchs holdout doe snot tell us Michaels is not ready at all, in fact is says the opposite. no matter how well Michaels does in practice or preseason it is not real games, so we will not know for sure until a real game. So lynch holding out now is all he has, because if we reach the real games and Michaels plays well, Lynch will have nothing. Lynch just got his contract 2 years ago and has a few more years left on it. It pays him top 5 RB money.

While some of you are saying pay him, keep in mind if we pay him more, and keep him it takes money away from others we will need to sign next year, like Wagner, and most importantly RW.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1fkzau5y said:
keatonisballin":1fkzau5y said:

OMG you are such a trolling little liar. Please stop making posts just to get a reaction.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I get the feeling this "holdout" isn't even so much about dollar signs as it is about a) not having to go to training camp and b) not wanting to get cut next year.

I for one hope they let the kid play.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":28t4kzv9 said:
Yeah, at the risk of being all sunshine and lollipops about whatever bad news comes our way, I feel like this news isn't that bad. He'll be back in time for the regular season, he doesn't have to go out there and get beaten up...as long as he's not missing any actual games and as long as the FO doesn't overpay him or make it hard to cut him loose cap-wise in an extension (two things which I doubt), I'm okay with it.

Also, it was nice of Marshawn to help his buddy M-Rob get a scoop. He's even a hell of a guy while holding out!

What makes you think the FO will give him more money, I think they need to stand there ground on this one and say play our sit out and get fined. If they give him more the gravy train is going to start and say good bye to the team we have.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
chris98251":3oi361e7 said:
I think a good way to do it would be to pad some incentives into it, not sure which ones since he already probably does, but there should be a way to do something that ties to his and the teams performance.
This is about the only way I can see the team being able to "restructure" without capitulating to his demands and thus setting precedent with someone else in the future which I'm sure they don't want to do. In the end, I see this as the likely scenario about a week and a half before the regular season begins.