Marshawn Lynch to hold out of training camp

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
The Radish":3leorh19 said:
General Manager":3leorh19 said:
ivotuk":3leorh19 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Pete gave him the okay to hold out. He doesn't need the extra work after 3 seasons of 300+ carries and long seasons (Playoffs) to boot.

Give him the time off, it's not like he needs to learn anything new. In one of the SoundFX Pete Carroll was trying to tell him something and Lynch just said "I just read 'em" Carroll smiled as he walked off b/c he knew Marshawn was going to do what suited him.

It's a long season with a BRUTAL December, I see the hold out as beneficial all around. I think when it counts, 'Shawn will show up.

Then there's the added benefit of our other backs getting practice and playing time. How jacked are those guys right about now? (Funk Soul Brother).

The fines start Friday don't kid yourself if they don't give him more money it's possible he never takes another snap so this is a serious situation. We'll see where were at in a couple days.

Ok, ok, ok. Do teams do it? Yes. I've always said in that case don't sign a contract that allows them to do that or get more money up front. And is this the thanks we get for maybe working to extend his career a bit by having an extra back? No, none of us really can know this answer just talk about it.

I'm not screaming from the rooftops here, I just hate to see this precedent as soon every player on the team will want to do it. That's where I'm coming from. In a perfect world both sides would behave fairly. No this is not a perfect world

In this case let me ask you a couple of things. First,, just exactly where does anyone think he is going to go if he holds out? By then we will be used to working without him and it won't matter. That would be the saddest thing. And at his age not to many teams will be chasing.

The second is do you not think he owes us a little bit for taking him from Buffalo where they had finished his career and making him into the running back he always thought he could be?

Now all that said I'm sure the team is wondering about setting a precedent also. Will they break down and give him more money?

Maybe.

But if they are going to make him a cap casualty after this season anyway what would be the point? Give him a couple of million bucks and then cut him after the season? How sensible does that sound? not very. Now if our office really thinks they can extend his career by giving him fewer snaps this season then giving him money now might not seem like such a bad idea.

Lets hope it works out like that.

:les:

If the league went to fully guaranteed contracts then the product on the field would be terrible (lots of money tied into aging, injury prone players). The way it is set is fair for both sides. Teams can end the contracts of its players and players who exceed their contract can hold out for more.

As to Lynch owing the team? I get what you are saying, but my answer would be no, he doesn't. His rookie contract (non-negotiable) forced him to play for Buffalo. I can't really blame him for that situation. Since with Seattle, he helped build this team from the bottom up. If anything, this team owes him for coming to a team that needed a change in identity. Without Lynch there is no Year 4 Super Bowl under Pete. He earned every dollar we've giving him and then some, imo.

I don't want to break the bank paying for him, but I'd hope there's enough in their salary cap plans to give him a little more.

kidhawk

Reaction score
bigDhawk":1n9v8eoy said:
Seahawk Sailor":1n9v8eoy said:
Meh. Marshawn's gonna Marshawn. Holdouts never hurt Big Walt and Clem.

I don't think they were getting fined $30K per hold out day under their CBAs, though.

If memory serves me correctly, Walt was technically not under contract. He was being franchised year to year, so until he signed the dotted line, he was always just a restricted free agent who couldn't leave and chose to work out on his own and come in after training camp was over and sign his deal.

Also, I don't recall who it was, but there was a similar situation with a different player awhile back, and there was someway that they wrote the new contract where the team didn't have to fine the player once they came to an agreement. I don't know if it was that the fine money was worked in as an added bonus and just equaled out, or if they are able to retroactively suspend the fines after an agreement on a contract is met.

SeaChase

Reaction score
HawkFan72":23ys3osr said:
SeaChase":23ys3osr said:
Isn't there a nice stat about players who hold out? Where they usually have a lackluster year...

Yeah Chris Clemons was terrible here.

And Walter Jones was terrible as well.

I didn't know they were running backs. Ask Chris Johnson and MJD how that worked out for them.

Seafan

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3d5jm4jt said:
keatonisballin":3d5jm4jt said:
So no one else is annoyed by this? I love the Beast but cmon man.

I feel about this particular holdout the same way I feel about Walter Jones's yearly holdouts. When an elite veteran player that goes as hard as possible during the regular season and playoffs holds out, it's about the money, but it's also about not needing the beating of training camp to some degree.

Walter Jones never held out. When you aren't under contract you don't have to attend practice. Lynch is under contract and therefore the fines.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
SeaChase":1ow9cnuv said:
HawkFan72":1ow9cnuv said:
SeaChase":1ow9cnuv said:
Isn't there a nice stat about players who hold out? Where they usually have a lackluster year...

I didn't know they were running backs. Ask Chris Johnson and MJD how that worked out for them.

Playing at a high level for a long time is rare in football. It's even more rare for running backs.

History says Lynch will not play at the same level he has the previous few seasons. But Lynch is not your average player.

ivotuk

Reaction score
There's some interesting stuff at Over the Cap about running back contracts.

Of the top 8 contracts, Marshawn got the biggest guaranteed percentage at 56.7% ($17,000,000) guaranteed. Free Agency 2016

AP has 20.25 million guaranteed Free Agency 2018
LeSean has 20.765 million guaranteed Free Agency 2018
Arian Foster has 20.75 million guaranteed Free Agency 2017

Marshawn's guaranteed money per year is MORE than any other RB. They are different lengths of contract so that has to be considered.

Marshawn: 4.25 million per year guaranteed
Adrian Peterson 3.375 million per year guaranteed

People are talking about the Chiefs giving Jamaal Charles new money BUT, he was only guaranteed LESS than a million per year!

Jamaal's base salary in 2013 was 1.75 million. He rushed for 1287 yards, a 5.0 ypc average and caught 70 passes for 693 yards. Talk about underpaid.

Having said that, Marshawn is a tone setter for this offense. I hope that they are able to get him some more money. Maybe a million more this year? Not sure if we can afford that, but it would be nice.

http://overthecap.com/top-player-salari ... osition=RB

Johnny

Reaction score
Some of the stuff I've read in this thread makes me laugh... I mean the whole "It's OK that he is holding out" and the "This is great news because it will allow him to rest" stuff is total B/S.....

The man signed a contract that is only halfway through, and now the Seahawks won the super bowl he wants a pay raise... What?..... This guy is on cloud-9 and dreaming.... There are many other guys on this team that deserve new deals, Russell Wilson, Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright, Etc.

Lynch got his money and now he wants more,,,, That spells GREED in my book and selfishness on his part.... He doesn't care about the other players on the team nor the fans at this point, he just wants 'HIS money Boss!'....

oh, and the crap that MikeRob said on the nfl network about how Lynch wants this extra money for his 'charities' is total and complete crap.... If Lynch wanted to give to 'charities', Why not just give the $100,000 plus thousand he spent on that lamborghini that was posted on twitter to the poor and needy?..... That's what I thought..

P.S.

I don't want to hear about how he deserves it either..... There was wording in his contract about 1,500 yd seasons and extra money and he couldn't do it, and no one can say that didn't give him a chance to get those 1,500 yd seasons....

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Seafan":2mk6c192 said:
Smelly McUgly":2mk6c192 said:
keatonisballin":2mk6c192 said:
So no one else is annoyed by this? I love the Beast but cmon man.

I feel about this particular holdout the same way I feel about Walter Jones's yearly holdouts. When an elite veteran player that goes as hard as possible during the regular season and playoffs holds out, it's about the money, but it's also about not needing the beating of training camp to some degree.

Walter Jones never held out. When you aren't under contract you don't have to attend practice. Lynch is under contract and therefore the fines.

I'm pretty sure he did hold out because he was merely franchise tagged and wanted a longer deal.

Yep. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingc ... id=2116504

He held out in order to try and force a long-term deal.

But we are quibbling over detail here. The sum is that the team has the player's rights and the player chooses not to show up. We used to say that rookies were holding out when they wanted a certain contract from their teams after being drafted, and they technically were not signed.

The point is that neither Jones nor Lynch were coming to camp because of their contract situations.

Re: Radish, with all due respect, no, Lynch owes Seattle nothing. They traded for him because they saw in him an elite RB, not out of the goodness of their hearts to save him from Buffalo. He repaid them by playing really well and helping them keep their jobs.

Johnny

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2o0b2yln said:
Re: Radish, with all due respect, no, Lynch owes Seattle nothing. They traded for him because they saw in him an elite RB, not out of the goodness of their hearts to save him from Buffalo. He repaid them by playing really well and helping them keep their jobs.

Biggest load of crap of the day right there....... Pete and John gave this man (Lynch) the offense that suited him and made him the focus of a 'run first' team in a league of 'Pass first' and MADE Lynch into who he is......... In a time when everyone in the league is looking for speed at the runningback position ala. AP, LeSean McCoy, Jamaal Charles, Chris Johnson, Etc.... The Seahawks gave this 'Slow Power Back' a chance and kept feeding him the ball to succeed.....

I don't think Lynch saved their jobs, I think Pete and John saved Lynch from a 'Bust label' and gave him a future.

Tical21

Reaction score
If I was a RB that took the pounding that Lynch takes, I wouldn't want to go into the last year of my deal either. And I don't think he'll have to. They'll front-load a short deal for him and make him happy and he'll go back to knocking helmets off of loudmouth d-linemen in no time.

General Manager

Reaction score
Johnny":pfxxl4iq said:
Some of the stuff I've read in this thread makes me laugh... I mean the whole "It's OK that he is holding out" and the "This is great news because it will allow him to rest" stuff is total B/S.....

The man signed a contract that is only halfway through, and now the Seahawks won the super bowl he wants a pay raise... What?..... This guy is on cloud-9 and dreaming.... There are many other guys on this team that deserve new deals, Russell Wilson, Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright, Etc.

Lynch got his money and now he wants more,,,, That spells GREED in my book and selfishness on his part.... He doesn't care about the other players on the team nor the fans at this point, he just wants 'HIS money Boss!'....

oh, and the crap that MikeRob said on the nfl network about how Lynch wants this extra money for his 'charities' is total and complete crap.... If Lynch wanted to give to 'charities', Why not just give the $100,000 plus thousand he spent on that lamborghini that was posted on twitter to the poor and needy?..... That's what I thought..

P.S.

I don't want to hear about how he deserves it either..... There was wording in his contract about 1,500 yd seasons and extra money and he couldn't do it, and no one can say that didn't give him a chance to get those 1,500 yd seasons....

Fail.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
Johnny":2mb5gtjp said:
Smelly McUgly":2mb5gtjp said:

Biggest load of crap of the day right there....... Pete and John gave this man (Lynch) the offense that suited him and made him the focus of a 'run first' team in a league of 'Pass first' and MADE Lynch into who he is......... In a time when everyone in the league is looking for speed at the runningback position ala. AP, LeSean McCoy, Jamaal Charles, Chris Johnson, Etc.... The Seahawks gave this 'Slow Power Back' a chance and kept feeding him the ball to succeed.....

I don't think Lynch saved their jobs, I think Pete and John saved Lynch from a 'Bust label' and gave him a future.

Everything you typed was terrible. So, yeah.

Symbiosis. Lynch plays well, makes Carroll and JS look like the geniuses that they are, they negotiate better contracts or extensions, Lynch gets paid too.

Johnny

Reaction score
General Manager":114ddvje said:
Johnny":114ddvje said:

P.S.

Fail.

Great..... Fail!!!!!

If that's all you got bud.... Then I won this round!

Johnny

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3ng99tv0 said:
Johnny":3ng99tv0 said:
Smelly McUgly":3ng99tv0 said:

Symbiosis. Lynch plays well, makes Carroll and JS look like the geniuses that they are, they negotiate better contracts or extensions, Lynch gets paid too.

This is why this board is so great to come too.... So many people here like you are so full of themselves that never seem to get the point at all.... just like you!

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
Johnny":3g9eywso said:
Smelly McUgly":3g9eywso said:
Johnny":3g9eywso said:
Smelly McUgly":3g9eywso said:

This is why this board is so great to come too.... So many people here like you are so full of themselves that never seem to get the point at all.... just like you!

My response to you is in the Shack, champ. Go there or don't.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Johnny":gd1m655l said:

If you don't like it you're welcome to leave. Nobody will miss you.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Just going to point out that Marshawn Lynch is not on any of the tickets this year. I think that says something even if you don't.

@ Johnny if you are so upset about Lynch holding out after he signed a contract, will you be as upset when the Seahawks cut him with a year left on his contract?

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
kearly":1eceh2yn said:
HawkFan72":1eceh2yn said:
SeaChase":1eceh2yn said:

pwned.

This is true but I think it is relevant for RB's. They need a certain amount of contact before the season starts. Even the best probably need a bit of contact before they get pushed into game speed.