Marshawn Lynch to hold out of training camp

Steve2222

Reaction score
Lithium":2zqlodq9 said:
This is great news, no wear and tear on Lynch plus the young guys get more practice.

lol that's the great way to look at the bright side of things.

And I completely agree with you.

bigDhawk

Reaction score
Lithium":1a3ub2x0 said:
This is great news, no wear and tear on Lynch plus the young guys get more practice.

But there will be wear and tear on his wallet, at the rate of $30K a day(!) during the holdout, per the new CBA rules. That will total over $1mil if he holds out till week 1 of the regular season.

Robinson's quote of Lynch on NFL network was confusing as well. Lynch supposedly said this wasn't about money and that if it was he could just do Skittles commercials. It was about his Family First foundation and it's long-term security after his career is done. Well, isn't that a money issue? That doesn't make much sense. Every day Lynch holds out will take $30K out of the FF coffers, which is not likely to be recovered no matter how his contract gets restructured. I don't see this ending well for Lynch or the Seahawks if he indeed holds out all through training camp.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
The Radish":1kg4ptp1 said:
I love Lynch but hate this kinds of crap from any player. Would he like to make more money? Yes. Wouldn't we all?

I'm one of those guys that think people that sign contracts should live by them. Because they would scream bloody murder if our side didn't live by them.

Besides we basically saved/made his career that he had about pissed away in Buffalo.

So love him? yes. Hate him? Yes also.

:roll:

p.s. besides I figure I'll get enough chances to see Turbin put the ball on the ground even with him.

Teams don't honor players contracts all the time :?

BKCW

Reaction score
I'm one of those guys that think people that sign contracts should live by them. Because they would scream bloody murder if our side didn't live by them.

The front office of any team does this all the time when they cut players, players need to strike when they can. Beast knows he will be a cap causality next year so the only thing guaranteed is this years pay. Last time I checked there isn't much of a market for late 29/30 something running backs. This is a move any person would make in his situation.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3n0bi6p2 said:
Working out a new deal for Lynch could be complicated. Does Lynch want a big signing bonus so he can retire after this year? If he did, that entire bonus would hit next year's cap, a year when they will have numerous free agents and plan to extend Russell Wilson.

Seahawks would go after part of his signing bonus if he did that and probably win, too.

King Dog

Reaction score
Cause I'm in Beast mode, feast mode
Give me those beats I eat those
All day I don't sleep no
I don't even know what I got sheets for
Them pillow cases and bed frames oh nah take that, don't need those
So high I don't get high, I don't even know what I got weed for
People I'm in beast mode, what'd you think I got these teeth for

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":15j1krcw said:
hawknation2014":15j1krcw said:
Working out a new deal for Lynch could be complicated. Does Lynch want a big signing bonus so he can retire after this year? If he did, that entire bonus would hit next year's cap, a year when they will have numerous free agents and plan to extend Russell Wilson.

Seahawks would go after part of his signing bonus if he did that and probably win, too.

That's true. However, it would not be credited to the cap until the following year (2016) after an arbitration hearing. Also, if Lynch said he was let's say retiring due to injury (i.e. back pain) the Seahawks might not be entitled to get back the remainder of their signing bonus.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
I like the lower risk of him getting injured in training camp. However there is the possibility of not learning any possible new plays. I am on the fence on this one for sure. :snack:

rigelian

Reaction score
The Radish":1hp56fzz said:
I love Lynch but hate this kinds of crap from any player. Would he like to make more money? Yes. Wouldn't we all?

Besides we basically saved/made his career that he had about pissed away in Buffalo.

So love him? yes. Hate him? Yes also.

:roll:

p.s. besides I figure I'll get enough chances to see Turbin put the ball on the ground even with him.

He's not in breach of his contract. There is a fine, but that is part of the contract. I have no problem with this whatsoever.

The Radish

Reaction score
General Manager":2ewxri4f said:
ivotuk":2ewxri4f said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Pete gave him the okay to hold out. He doesn't need the extra work after 3 seasons of 300+ carries and long seasons (Playoffs) to boot.

Give him the time off, it's not like he needs to learn anything new. In one of the SoundFX Pete Carroll was trying to tell him something and Lynch just said "I just read 'em" Carroll smiled as he walked off b/c he knew Marshawn was going to do what suited him.

It's a long season with a BRUTAL December, I see the hold out as beneficial all around. I think when it counts, 'Shawn will show up.

Then there's the added benefit of our other backs getting practice and playing time. How jacked are those guys right about now? (Funk Soul Brother).

The fines start Friday don't kid yourself if they don't give him more money it's possible he never takes another snap so this is a serious situation. We'll see where were at in a couple days.

Ok, ok, ok. Do teams do it? Yes. I've always said in that case don't sign a contract that allows them to do that or get more money up front. And is this the thanks we get for maybe working to extend his career a bit by having an extra back? No, none of us really can know this answer just talk about it.

I'm not screaming from the rooftops here, I just hate to see this precedent as soon every player on the team will want to do it. That's where I'm coming from. In a perfect world both sides would behave fairly. No this is not a perfect world

In this case let me ask you a couple of things. First,, just exactly where does anyone think he is going to go if he holds out? By then we will be used to working without him and it won't matter. That would be the saddest thing. And at his age not to many teams will be chasing.

The second is do you not think he owes us a little bit for taking him from Buffalo where they had finished his career and making him into the running back he always thought he could be?

Now all that said I'm sure the team is wondering about setting a precedent also. Will they break down and give him more money?

Maybe.

But if they are going to make him a cap casualty after this season anyway what would be the point? Give him a couple of million bucks and then cut him after the season? How sensible does that sound? not very. Now if our office really thinks they can extend his career by giving him fewer snaps this season then giving him money now might not seem like such a bad idea.

Lets hope it works out like that.

:les:

kearly

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3365nah3 said:
SeaChase":3365nah3 said:
Isn't there a nice stat about players who hold out? Where they usually have a lackluster year...

Yeah Chris Clemons was terrible here.

And Walter Jones was terrible as well.

pwned.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":qs0f0rl3 said:
Recon_Hawk":qs0f0rl3 said:
hawknation2014":qs0f0rl3 said:

That's true. However, it would not be credited to the cap until the following year (2016) after an arbitration hearing. Also, if Lynch said he was let's say retiring due to injury (i.e. back pain) the Seahawks might not be entitled to get back the remainder of their signing bonus.

If they feel confident they will win in arbitration (no injury) they could work the contracts to fit their cap space, i.e. larger base salaries year 2 when Lynch's signing bonus is credited back..

As to Lynch retiring for injury (but I'm assuming you mean not actually injured), I'm trying to think back - Has this happen recently at all? I suppose it's possible.

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-training-camps/0ap2000000368592/Michael-Robinson-Lynch-holding-out-of-Seahawks-camp[/urltargetblank]

Video of Robinson reporting the news

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The Radish":htr324gb said:
The second is do you not think he owes us a little bit for taking him from Buffalo where they had finished his career and making him into the running back he always thought he could be?

Has he not repaid us ten-fold for that by putting his body on the line every time he touches the ball and delivering us a world championship on his shoulders?

General Manager

Reaction score
The Radish":1ol68s0k said:
General Manager":1ol68s0k said:
ivotuk":1ol68s0k said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Pete gave him the okay to hold out. He doesn't need the extra work after 3 seasons of 300+ carries and long seasons (Playoffs) to boot.

Give him the time off, it's not like he needs to learn anything new. In one of the SoundFX Pete Carroll was trying to tell him something and Lynch just said "I just read 'em" Carroll smiled as he walked off b/c he knew Marshawn was going to do what suited him.

It's a long season with a BRUTAL December, I see the hold out as beneficial all around. I think when it counts, 'Shawn will show up.

Then there's the added benefit of our other backs getting practice and playing time. How jacked are those guys right about now? (Funk Soul Brother).

The fines start Friday don't kid yourself if they don't give him more money it's possible he never takes another snap so this is a serious situation. We'll see where were at in a couple days.

Ok, ok, ok. Do teams do it? Yes. I've always said in that case don't sign a contract that allows them to do that or get more money up front. And is this the thanks we get for maybe working to extend his career a bit by having an extra back? No, none of us really can know this answer just talk about it.

I'm not screaming from the rooftops here, I just hate to see this precedent as soon every player on the team will want to do it. That's where I'm coming from. In a perfect world both sides would behave fairly. No this is not a perfect world

In this case let me ask you a couple of things. First,, just exactly where does anyone think he is going to go if he holds out? By then we will be used to working without him and it won't matter. That would be the saddest thing. And at his age not to many teams will be chasing.

Now all that said I'm sure the team is wondering about setting a precedent also. Will they break down and give him more money?

Maybe.

But if they are going to make him a cap casualty after this season anyway what would be the point? Give him a couple of million bucks and then cut him after the season? How sensible does that sound? not very. Now if our office really thinks they can extend his career by giving him fewer snaps this season then giving him money now might not seem like such a bad idea.

Lets hope it works out like that.

:les:

It's all about winning another SB if you think we can do it without him fine but I'm not sure we can and CM hasn't done jack . Now if CM plays well in preseason that changes the equation. This is a developing fluid situation . Turbin is a step down from Lynch pure and simple.

bigDhawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2xalwde9 said:
Meh. Marshawn's gonna Marshawn. Holdouts never hurt Big Walt and Clem.

I don't think they were getting fined $30K per hold out day under their CBAs, though.

Latest posts