Lucas didn't miss the block on Crosby?

renofox

Reaction score
What we "see" as an obvious bad play by one player isn't always what it appears to be.

Assuming we "know" what happened, and which player was responsible, on a bad play is giving ourselves too much credit for knowledge we don't possess.

if we don't know the intricacies of the playbook, judgments we make may sometimes be inaccurate.

Something to think about for those blaming specific players for specific plays, Barton being the best example.

Tight end Noah Fant was supposed to “chip” block Crosby, hit him and slow him before releasing on a short pass route. Lucas was checking pass rushers inside expecting Fant to be blocking Crosby, then was going to release outside to pick up the slowed Crosby.

That was the plan. Not the exection.

Fant barely put his hands on Crosby before released to his pass route. He didn’t slow him at all, let along block Crosby. The only chip that block was was a cow chip.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I don't think anybody here was blaming Lucas and it was apparent he needed help with a chip block. This explains why it never happened.

Since you brought up Barton, I will never excuse his poor play. He is consistently filling the wrong gap assignment (or so I think.)

evergreen

Reaction score
His replacement is coming next year. We’re stuck for now.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Just thought of this re. Lucas, and maybe others have already. Wasn't he a late add to the injury report with "illness"? Could that have been a factor in his struggles, to go along with playing against a stud like Crosby?

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Just thought of this re. Lucas, and maybe others have already. Wasn't he a late add to the injury report with "illness"? Could that have been a factor in his struggles, to go along with playing against a stud like Crosby?
I was wondering this as well.

Mase

Reaction score
-- I haven't re-watched the play, but I remember saying to my wife that I thought Lucas was expecting some help, because I think he glanced inside before engaging Crosby. Now knowing Fant was supposed to chip that makes a lot of sense.

-- Barton's issues, and obviously just my opinion, are not physical. They are mental, in the sense that he seems to have zero instincts. They say about great players, impactful players, that they have a nose for the ball. That is instincts. They know their job, their role, their gap, but also can feel the game well enough to be in the right place at the right time. It feels like Barton is 50/50 on knowing his role, but has no "feel" for what is going on around him. I think he is very easily manipulated by pre-snap motions and disguises. I hope he comes around, but I don't think you can just develop instincts.

Mase

Latest posts