Max Crosby votes for... Abraham Lucas, Waldron leaves him on the island

olyfan63

Reaction score
Lucas couldn't hold up against Max Crosby and that was the difference in two of the most key plays of the game. Should Waldron have recognized that, and tried to give Lucas some help with a TE or RB chip? I honestly don't know, looking for what others think, because adjusting a play to do that could have other negative effects, and leave a given play "understaffed" elsewhere. Is that just too much MMQB or was there something Waldron (or Geno) could or should have done to recognize the mismatch and adjust?

In the grand scheme of things, it's probably part of Waldron and Lucas' and Geno's education. What will Waldron and Lucas and Geno and the Hawks O-Line coach be talking about adjusting when they watch film on those couple key plays where Crosby overpowered Lucas?

* We had a poll earlier on best O-Lineman this season, and I think Lucas was the overall "winner" of the poll, IIRC. Some correctly pointed out that Cross draws the tougher assignments week in and week out. If I understand correctly, Crosby usually plays DE on the left side, thus would be going up against Lucas, so the Hawks knew this matchup was coming.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Waldron thought Lucas could block Crosby all by himself…

Sometimes success (early success) for Waldron with Lucas becomes wishful hope and very foolish, wishful hope, against an All-Pro pass rusher in Crosby.

The entire coaching staff failed to account for just how good and clutch Crosby is.

Jacobs and Crosby destroyed Seattle….

kidhawk

Reaction score
Let’s not forget that Lucas came down with some type of illness yesterday. It’s highly likely that he wasn’t anywhere near 100% today. With that said and known by the coaches we should have helped him out a bit more today.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
He got blown up a few times already, including as you said in a very similar key moment in the 4th. He's also tied (pregame) with the most sacks this season. Absolutely should have given him at least a chip by a TE or RB. Having a bunch of weapons out in patterns doesn't matter when the QB is smothered right off the bat.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
Let’s not forget that Lucas came down with some type of illness yesterday. It’s highly likely that he wasn’t anywhere near 100% today. With that said and known by the coaches we should have helped him out a bit more today.
Thank you, did not know that info. Maybe same stuff my GF has, she's been on the couch with a blanket, alternating fevers and sweats, and with no energy the last 3 days. If that's what Lucas is dealing with, the timing sure was bad, to have to face Maxx Crosby that way. (See, I did belatedly realize he spells it with two X's.)