PFF Player Grades Through Week 11

knownone

Reaction score
Rankings are more confusing than grades. Geno and Burrow are an excellent example of this. Both guys are ranked in the middle; however, both grade out significantly above average. Similarly, Adams is at 27th yet he grades slightly above average.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
I figured the numbers would be different for each position
There's only one quarterback and one center, so there will be fewer ranked players. There's also just one running back, but most teams practice an RB by committee, bringing in a different back for passing situations, etc.

The positions aren't all the same for all teams, like some teams might run a 3-4 defense with a nose tackle while others might run a 4-3 with a MLB. But it's as close as one can get in an objective ranking based strictly on individual performance.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
Rankings are more confusing than grades. Geno and Burrow are an excellent example of this. Both guys are ranked in the middle; however, both grade out significantly above average. Similarly, Adams is at 27th yet he grades slightly above average.
That's true. There's also the fact that the ratings don't always line up position by position. Some positions are easier to play. A wide receiver, for example, might not be involved in half the offensive snaps except as a decoy while a center is involved in every single one. So you really have to be careful not to put too much weight in ratings as well as rankings.

I'm also not clear as to if they factor in penalties or not. Walter Jones, for example, had more Pro Bowl appearances than he had holding penalties.

Reactions: Xxx

knownone

Reaction score
That's true. There's also the fact that the ratings don't always line up position by position. Some positions are easier to play. A wide receiver, for example, might not be involved in half the offensive snaps except as a decoy while a center is involved in every single one. So you really have to be careful not to put too much weight in ratings as well as rankings.

I'm also not clear as to if they factor in penalties or not. Walter Jones, for example, had more Pro Bowl appearances than he had holding penalties.
The ratings are normalized across positions, so while comparing players at different positions doesn't make much sense, a center graded at 70 and a receiver graded at 70 would still indicate that both players performed at a similar level relative to their peers in their respective positions.

It's a play-by-play analysis, so I'd imagine they take penalties into account.

rcaido

Reaction score
How is Stafford ranked 10th. He has played poorly, I would have Geno ahead of him.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Safety: Jamal Adams #27, Julian Love #42, Quandre Diggs #64. Javon Holland of the Dolphins was ranked #1.
30 MM wrapped up in that safety trio LMAO 🤣

Other than Witherspoon, these players are average at best. Or at least their rankings .

Xxx

Reaction score

Other than Witherspoon, these players are average at best. Or at least their rankings .
What’s Jamal’s rank?

27 got it… so out of 32 #1 starters he’s near the bottom… man if he is on the field he’s better than that but not when he’s on the sideline

knownone

Reaction score
The safety rankings contain both SS and FS. So, Jamal grades out slightly above average, Love is dead-on average, and Diggs is one of the worst starting caliber safeties in the league (according to PFF).

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score

Bobby's #10 ranking is very good. You have to keep in mind that there are 81 linebackers being graded and that they've lumped inside and outside linebackers together. Lockett's #12 ranking is also excellent as there are 124 WR's being graded. Will Dissly's #12 is also very good as is Kenneth Walker's #12.

But as we've discussed, the interior OL really sucks, and the eye test bears that out. Evan Brown is ranked 29th, meaning that there's only a couple of starting centers who graded out worse. And take a look at Darrell Taylor's #99. Ugh.

Agreed about the safety position. A lot of us have lamented the amount of money that we're pouring into that position. Not much bang for the buck, at least according to these rankings. And I agree that the bulk of the rankings are average at best. Geno's ranking in the middle of the pack of starting QB's is right about where I'd put him with the eye test.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
The ratings are normalized across positions, so while comparing players at different positions doesn't make much sense, a center graded at 70 and a receiver graded at 70 would still indicate that both players performed at a similar level relative to their peers in their respective positions.

That's true only to a certain degree. It's very difficult to normalize a Bobby Wagner, who is essentially a MLB, with Jordy Brooks, who plays on the outside. A linebacker is not the same position across the board.

It's also hard to quantify a player's performance when it's enhanced or encumbered by his teammates. Fred Warner playing behind Nick Bosa, who constantly gets double teamed, has a much better chance of success than Bobby Wagner, who plays behind a weaker DL. Same with the relationship between the two cornerbacks. If you have a great cornerback, teams will throw away from them, making whoever is playing on the opposite side subject to a lower rating. I'll never forget how Aaron Rodgers avoided Richard Sherman like the plague.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Here's all the quarterbacks PFF has rated. I transposed the names vs. copy and paste, so I'm not swearing to my accuracy.

1. Dak
2. Allen
3. Lamar Jackson
4. Mahomes
5. Goff
6. Tua
7. Cousins
8. Trevor Lawrence
9. CJ Stroud
10. Stafford
11. Herbert
12. Hurts
13. Purdy
14. R. Wilson
15. Burrow
16. Geno
17. Justin Fields
18. Tannehill
19. Mayfield
20. Jordan Love
21. Carr
22. Dobbs
23. Watson
24. Tyrod Taylor
25. Sam Howell
26. Jimmy G.
27. Kenny Picket
28. Daniel Jones
29. Mac Jones
30. Tyson Bagent
31. The Stache
32. Zach Wilson
33. Danny DeVito
34. Will Levis
35. Adian O'Connell
36. Desmond Ridder
37. Bryce Young
38. Pajamas Walker
And pulling up the rear in last place: Pajamas Walker. LOL
Total scrubs from 17 and lower..

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone would catch that. I decided to personalize the list a little bit, put my signature on it.

It seems to me that the lower half of the QB rankings meet the eye test better than the top half. Jimmy G., Daniel Jones, Mac Jones, and Zach Wilson have all been horrible, and their teams have struggled because of it.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
But do they take into account dead ball personal fouls or taunting ala DK Metcalf? Or how about a delay of game penalty? Does that always go on the quarterback? Is there any difference between a false start on first and 10 from the 40 vs. 3rd and goal from the one? Or how about an ineligible man downfield? Did 'Spoon get docked for what was obviously a blown call on a DPI?

It seems to me that penalties would be one of those things that's difficult to quantify and apply evenly across the board.