Looks like Pete Ball is back on the Menu Boys

getnasty

Reaction score
Imagine complaing about winning a division game by 10. Fade you have plenty of good points but you water them all down with the consistent complaining and nothing but negativity. Try saying something positive buddy.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Wasn't exactly an inspiring game from Geno. One TD in five red zone trips isn't going to cut it most weeks.
5 trips to the red zone…followed by downer comments. Just don’t get it. O-blocking appeared to be our biggest challenge today, but I don’t see it suddenly becoming a consistent weakness. D played an impressive game and feel good about where the team is vs expectations…still tempered at this point, but ahead of where I thought we’d be.

Last edited:

White Devil

Reaction score
In Shane Waldron's system they call 2 Plays in the huddle, a run, and a pass. Light box you run, stacked box, you throw.

They had been doing this and people were freaking out because the Seahawks were throwing it more than they were running it to start the season, but it's smart. Leading to the #1 DVOA Offense in the league.

In the Cardinals game they went away from that. Repeatedly running into loaded boxes on 1st down, and having Geno hold the ball looking for the big play down the field. Sound familiar?

Pete Ball is back!
Tenor

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
switching gears to the offense now? since you can't blame ol' man petey this week for the defense?

6 sacks, terrific on 4th down, and 3 whole points allowed by the defense will do that i guess.

View attachment 55151
Now use your eyes instead of looking at the boxscore. You see bad tackling, horrible pursuit angles, all while going against a dysfunctional offense that repeatedly shot itself in the foot.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
My takeaways

Defense is starting to gel, and the rookies are starting to see the game. Still a work in progress, but there are signs of life. It's still too early to read much into the defense. History says that a Carroll defense tends to look worse in the first quarter of the season, but also suggests he doesn't manage vets well. Maybe a fresh batch of rookies is what the doctor ordered.

Run defense looked significantly improved as did the oass rush.

Offense was off kilter. Combination of bad play calling, and failure to adjust. Geno did what he needed to do, and led a nice scoring drive, but he took a small step back today. Credit to divisional game. He actually seemed to struggle less against the Cards than Wilson has. KW3 hasn't figured out what a hole looks like at the NFL level. He will get there.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I'm slightly more hopeful this year that game plan errors will be recognized and adjusted for, at least on the offensive side of the ball.

I get the feeling that they wanted to keep things simple for KW3, like they did for Geno in the first couple of games, and that made the play calling look like we were reverting to Pete Ball.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
In Shane Waldron's system they call 2 Plays in the huddle, a run, and a pass. Light box you run, stacked box, you throw.

They had been doing this and people were freaking out because the Seahawks were throwing it more than they were running it to start the season, but it's smart. Leading to the #1 DVOA Offense in the league.

In the Cardinals game they went away from that. Repeatedly running into loaded boxes on 1st down, and having Geno hold the ball looking for the big play down the field. Sound familiar?

Pete Ball is back!
Geno Cooking as a Master-chef ->What's 'The Special of The Day'? WINNING!!!!!, and >NO<>>, don't kid yourself Faded<< it's NOT Russell-ball, it's GENO-BALL!!!!!
FACT: Wilson-ball hasn't been seen since LAST SEASON'S FAILURES, Get over it kid!

Mike D in 332

Reaction score

Pete Ball is back!
I’m all for being sure we establish the run. I love the part where you explain that SW’s offense comes to the line with flexibility. I think Pete is being smart, not always going with what the box tells you to go with, if you do that, then you become predictable. Sometimes you need to run into the stacked box because you haven’t in a long time.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
This game was sad for me to see. I was hopeful for our offense and I've liked all of the things I've seen from the previous games. What I'm wondering is where did it go? It's like we had Schottenheimer back there calling the plays against the Cowboys in the playoffs. We ran just for the sake of running. We tried forcing the run when it clearly was not there.

We consistently put Geno Smith in bad 3rd and long situations which allowed the defense to pin their ears back. We also ran the same sort of route concepts we ran under Russell Wilson. A lot of long developing pass plays predicated on the deep pass. I feel like this sort of offense negates Geno Smith's strengths as a passer.

Geno Smith from what I've seen is a QB that really thrives off of establishing a rhythm. He lives and dies with the short and intermediate timing passes, and while he can throw deep -- his best asset is how he is able to methodically march the football down the field.

In our previous game we've used Geno Smith to set up the running game in typical west coast offense fashion. We still could run the ball, but we were smarter about it. Penny hardly ever ran into loaded boxes, and that was the case in the second half of last year as well. I don't like to see that the offense is falling back into some old habits/tendencies.

We won this game but this sort of offense will cost the Seahawks if we keep using it. The "I'm going to do regardless of what you're showing me" mentality needs to die. Our biggest runs came when we varied what we were doing. The runs up the middle into stacked boxes did nothing but put our offense into bad third down situations.

Our offense today put Geno Smith into a bad situations consistently and he was never able to get into a rhythm due to our playcalling.

nwHawk

Reaction score
As long as we don't see this type of play calling continue I'll be happy.

If it means a win, and especially a win in the division that keeps us in 1st place - I’ll watch every time. No complaints from me. All about the W.

BASF

Reaction score
This game was sad for me to see. I was hopeful for our offense and I've liked all of the things I've seen from the previous games. What I'm wondering is where did it go? It's like we had Schottenheimer back there calling the plays against the Cowboys in the playoffs. We ran just for the sake of running. We tried forcing the run when it clearly was not there.

We consistently put Geno Smith in bad 3rd and long situations which allowed the defense to pin their ears back. We also ran the same sort of route concepts we ran under Russell Wilson. A lot of long developing pass plays predicated on the deep pass. I feel like this sort of offense negates Geno Smith's strengths as a passer.

Geno Smith from what I've seen is a QB that really thrives off of establishing a rhythm. He lives and dies with the short and intermediate timing passes, and while he can throw deep -- his best asset is how he is able to methodically march the football down the field.

In our previous game we've used Geno Smith to set up the running game in typical west coast offense fashion. We still could run the ball, but we were smarter about it. Penny hardly ever ran into loaded boxes, and that was the case in the second half of last year as well. I don't like to see that the offense is falling back into some old habits/tendencies.

We won this game but this sort of offense will cost the Seahawks if we keep using it. The "I'm going to do regardless of what you're showing me" mentality needs to die. Our biggest runs came when we varied what we were doing. The runs up the middle into stacked boxes did nothing but put our offense into bad third down situations.

Our offense today put Geno Smith into a bad situations consistently and he was never able to get into a rhythm due to our playcalling.
Haynes can't handle the same plays that Jackson can.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score

The number of first down runs right up into a stacked box was very frustrating today. It was extremely uninspired. I can see a couple of reasons they might have done it, though I wouldn't be happy with either.

1) They saw their defense was playing well and went conservative. This is the worse of the two reasons. Geno has been very safe with the ball, his drives have been extremely efficient and take time off the clock. There is no reason to go ultra-conservative run happy to try and control clock or protect the ball. We do that just fine with the ball in Geno's hands.

2) They saw the Cards were dialing up the extra rusher or two on basically every play and thought the run game was a way to counteract that. This isn't as bad as the other reason, but it's still concerning because it failed so consistently throughout the game that we should have been able to stop with that plan by halftime at the latest.

Overall, though, we won the game so it's hard to get too worked up about it. Just hope to see us go back to what had been working next week.