Looks like REAL Pete ball is back on the menu, boys!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

Real Pete ball is back again!

Pete Carroll with Seattle has never been outside the top 5 of most pass heavy coaches in neutral situations (so not with a big lead or a big deficit etc etc) when Russell Wilson isn't on the team.

Pass heavy with Hass. Pass heavy with TJ. Pass heavy with Geno. Explosive rushing game feeding off that.

We're talking high neutral down passing, because we now have a quarterback that can consistently execute early-down pass concepts without throwing the offense off-schedule!

I've heard some say that Pete ball hasn't returned this year.

Buncha hooey. I think we just forgot what real Pete ball actually looks like. A decade of reprogramming will do that, but all signs point to it being the signal caller...

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
Boom. The clues have always been there. Pete has been telling us the actual definition of "Pete Ball" about once a press conference since he was hired. Pete Ball = complimentary football. All 3 phases of the game, perfectly in balance. No more back-breaking and predictable streaks of 3-and-out series'. No more lopsided TOP.

I think Pete loved Russ like a son. Pete capitulated because of his need to nurture. He wanted Russ to succeed, so he did everything in his power to protect Russ from his own shortcomings and to highlight the standout portion of his skillset. I hope Russ at least sends Pete an edible arrangement and a thank you card with his quarter of a billion dollars.

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
PeteBall was BACK the second Geno Smith entered Rams game in relief of an injured Wilson. We all notice something like, umm, a breath of fresh air; just that at the time, we didn't know it was the rebirth of REAL PETEBALL.

toffee

Reaction score
Boom. The clues have always been there. Pete has been telling us the actual definition of "Pete Ball" about once a press conference since he was hired. Pete Ball = complimentary football. All 3 phases of the game, perfectly in balance. No more back-breaking and predictable streaks of 3-and-out series'. No more lopsided TOP.

I think Pete love Russ like a son. Pete capitulated because of his need to nurture. He wanted Russ to succeed, so he did everything in his power to protect Russ from his own shortcomings and to highlight the standout portion of his skillset. I hope Russ at least sends Pete an edible arrangement and a thank you card with his quarter of a billion dollars.
Last time I check, Wilson was LIVID for what Pete has done to him.

toffee

Reaction score

Pete Carroll with Seattle has never been outside the top 5 of most pass heavy coaches in neutral situations (so not with a big lead or a big deficit etc etc) when Russell Wilson isn't on the team.

Pass heavy with Hass. Pass heavy with TJ. Pass heavy with Geno. Explosive rushing game feeding off that.

We're talking high neutral down passing, because we now have a quarterback that can consistently execute early-down pass concepts without throwing the offense off-schedule!

Buncha hooey. I think we just forgot what real Pete ball actually looks like. A decade of reprogramming will do that, but all signs point to it being the signal caller...

Good work @Maelstrom787 , much appreciated.

GemCity

Reaction score
Pete really got a decade of slander because he was forced into pounding the rock to try to open up his deep shot quarterback without putting the offense hopelessly behind schedule, and never made a peep about it. Dudes a saint.
Exactly. As a former believer in RW, I’d lose my shit with the playcalling at times. The whole run into a stacked box 13x in the 2018 WildCard vs Dallas kind of losing one’s shit.

Rest assured….I absolutely know now why that was.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Good post, those are interesting stats that I wouldn't have guessed. My working theory is that Pete wants what most defensive NFL coaches want out of their offense.

First and foremost, manageable third downs. Those lead to converting on third downs which keeps the offense on the field. I don't think Pete cares that much how you to get to a manageable third down whether that's running well early or an efficient short passing game with high completion likelihoods. Our short passing game with Russ was iffy and so we had to run the ball a lot. However, Russ was also a huge asset in that rushing attack.

Second, explosive downfield potential. That forces the defense to play conservatively and that is what creates opportunities for the offense to keep the short game humming along efficiently. I think Pete loved the pre-"Let Russ Cook" Russ where his terrific running ability kept the chains moving and his deep ball kept defenses from stacking the box. It's just a different way of solving the same problem that Geno is doing now with accurate pocket passing that targets TEs and shorter stuff.

Finally, no turnovers. It hurts the morale of a defense to have a great stop, but then to have to go right back on the field in bad field position because the offense coughed it up.

Nunya

Reaction score

Wow...Chad Brown. There is a blast from the past. At one time Chad Brown was one of my most favorite player on the team....so of course he was also the favorite player of my 10 year old daughter. We got to the Kingdom around 9 am for a 1pm game and CB was walking around doing a few stretches and talking to people on the field. My daughter yelled at him to try to get him to sign her hat. CB's responded by yelling "Hey, I'm working here" at her. Don't think she was much of a fan of his after that.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score

It's beautiful when the truth is found and shared here. Old narratives may never die for some, but the truth will certainly help others to see things more clearly. Thank you!(y)