Looking at this game as a pats fan

OP
OP
S

Strongarm2399

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1uzv36xu said:
Largent80":1uzv36xu said:
I laugh pretty good when I hear GB choked the game away when it was Seattle that did that for 55 minutes. And then an incredible series of plays / events all aligned and the Hawks took it.

If that isn't a great "warm up" game I don't know what is...a blowout?......sorry but that does nothing. Considering GB started almost every drive on the Hawks side of the field the defense really played well, and if I were a N.E. fan I would have to be concerned, because there is no way the Hawks are going to turn the ball over like that anytime soon.

5 turnovers gifted that game to GB. when they didnt take it, the Seahawks scored TDs on 3 straight possessions, the final two possessions moving the ball with ease.

I think the story line most want to latch onto is the Seahawks offense being somehow a reflection of the first 55 minutes of the GB game without acknowledging just how strong it was the last 3 drives.

people cant seem to defend one without ignoring the other, and its lazy.

I based everything I said in my post of the 6 games I mentioned not just that one

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Rex":irbzv39i said:
seadawg":irbzv39i said:
Rex - The SF reference was in response to the "much like last year" wording of the post he was responding to. As we all know, Seattle did play SF in the NFCCG prior to the last one.
While SF's play this season wasn't up to the level of the previous year, one could definitely argue they were the 2nd best team in the league when Seattle faced them in the 2013 NFCCG.

OK "seadawg" of all 3 posts…..you're wrong. This goes back to "bitter"s first post in which it was clearly meant for this season, as in this last NFCCG which had Green Bay and Seattle playing and which are the two best teams in the NFL.

its not a stretch to suggest that San Fransisco was better than Denver last year and Green Bay is better than New England this year.

I dont necessarily agree, but its easily debatable.

seedhawk

Reaction score
This may sound counter-intuitive but, the best way to play RW is to NOT play RW. While he will give up a sack or several, he lives for another down, and eventually he escapes, and creates randomness, which is really difficult to defend.

Rex

Reaction score
Strongarm2399":owzw33ru said:
Lol read how ridiculous your post sounds. You can't honestly believe the packers didn't choke that game away from Burnett sliding to their horrendous and soft play calls to a goofy third string tight end trying to be superman to playing covering 0 with Tramon williams. And you realize the patriots are the team that started the whole buying in thing right. They have been the team of the century tom Brady has more superbowl wins than the Hawks franchise. They have won these superbowls and gotten to 3 more with little to zero hof caliber players.

Only by CHEATING! Setting new horizons for cheating. Cheating how no team has cheated before. Compromsing investigations that DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE then say TRUST US because Cheatriots owner Kraft is good friends with NFL commissioner Goodell! :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface:

Rex

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3ei9d6ng said:
Rex":3ei9d6ng said:
seadawg":3ei9d6ng said:
Rex - The SF reference was in response to the "much like last year" wording of the post he was responding to. As we all know, Seattle did play SF in the NFCCG prior to the last one.
While SF's play this season wasn't up to the level of the previous year, one could definitely argue they were the 2nd best team in the league when Seattle faced them in the 2013 NFCCG.

OK "seadawg" of all 3 posts…..you're wrong. This goes back to "bitter"s first post in which it was clearly meant for this season, as in this last NFCCG which had Green Bay and Seattle playing and which are the two best teams in the NFL.

its not a stretch to suggest that San Fransisco was better than Denver last year and Green Bay is better than New England this year.

Thats cool it can always be debated but the NFC West is better than the AFC East, agreed? I suspect the Seahawks will prove such logic correct again this year too. :th2thumbs:

Rex

Reaction score
seedhawk":1xzuwphr said:
This may sound counter-intuitive but, the best way to play RW is to NOT play RW. While he will give up a sack or several, he lives for another down, and eventually he escapes, and creates randomness, which is really difficult to defend.

Absolutely correct. :th2thumbs:

HawkMeat

Reaction score
I agree with Somerset Hawk. If the Hawks can't get pressure with a four-man rush it's going to be a long day.I hope this game is much like last year Super Bowl when the four man rush played to perfection

OP
OP
S

Strongarm2399

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1p1fr86k said:
Rex":1p1fr86k said:
seadawg":1p1fr86k said:

I mean technically you're right because football is all about match ups. But these two teams in general are the two hardest teams to matchup against and I really don't think gb is that close. Their defense is strapped because their best pass rusher is also their best ilb and aside from him they are horrendous at the position in a scheme that relies on their ilb to make plays

OP
OP
S

Strongarm2399

Reaction score
HawkMeat":3uhtixq0 said:
I agree with Somerset Hawk. If the Hawks can't get pressure with a four-man rush it's going to be a long day.I hope this game is much like last year Super Bowl when the four man rush played to perfection

Historically a 4 man rush is really the only way the patriots lose. Unless it's just a bad game which are rare

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Strongarm2399":281jfwzo said:
Uncle Si":281jfwzo said:
Largent80":281jfwzo said:
I laugh pretty good when I hear GB choked the game away when it was Seattle that did that for 55 minutes. And then an incredible series of plays / events all aligned and the Hawks took it.

If that isn't a great "warm up" game I don't know what is...a blowout?......sorry but that does nothing. Considering GB started almost every drive on the Hawks side of the field the defense really played well, and if I were a N.E. fan I would have to be concerned, because there is no way the Hawks are going to turn the ball over like that anytime soon.

5 turnovers gifted that game to GB. when they didnt take it, the Seahawks scored TDs on 3 straight possessions, the final two possessions moving the ball with ease.

I think the story line most want to latch onto is the Seahawks offense being somehow a reflection of the first 55 minutes of the GB game without acknowledging just how strong it was the last 3 drives.

people cant seem to defend one without ignoring the other, and its lazy.

I based everything I said in my post of the 6 games I mentioned not just that one

im not sure what you mean, but my post was more for the general assumptions being made about the matchups nationally than anything i read on here.

surely you can see the point... Seahawks offense is not nearly as weak as some want it to be. and the Patriots D isnt as weak as some others want it to be.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RobBaker7714409":315um4h2 said:
Good run down. Although if I was NE, I'd look to attack K.J. before Kam.

I would also attack KJ, because when healthy Kam is hard to beat..........but KJ has had a couple big lapses this year in coverage, especially on deep sideline routes.

But that's only possible if the Pat's O-line can give Brady a pocket, which brings me to my #1 key..........can the Hawks get enough pressure on Brady with their front 4. Against both the Panthers and Packers their pressure was very sporadic, at times great, but also at times poor which allowed both Newton and Rodgers time to operate.

Guys like Bennett and Williams are going to have to have monumental games for the Hawks D Line to be successful enough for us to win. If not? Then Russell better be able to put up 30 pts cause the Pats will score.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
btw, thank you Strongarm for coming here and actually formulating an intelligent football related thread with respect, and not be like 80% of your fellow Pat's fans on here acting like arrogant A-holes.

Football is a blast to discuss, but these last two weeks of dealing with Pat's fans thumping their chests and acting the fools has grown about as wearisome as a football forum can get.

OP
OP
S

Strongarm2399

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3oad65ov said:
RobBaker7714409":3oad65ov said:
Good run down. Although if I was NE, I'd look to attack K.J. before Kam.

I would also attack KJ, because when healthy Kam is hard to beat..........but KJ has had a couple big lapses this year in coverage, especially on deep sideline routes.

But that's only possible if the Pat's O-line can give Brady a pocket, which brings me to my #1 key..........can the Hawks get enough pressure on Brady with their front 4. Against both the Panthers and Packers their pressure was very sporadic, at times great, but also at times poor which allowed both Newton and Rodgers time to operate.

Guys like Bennett and Williams are going to have to have monumental games for the Hawks D Line to be successful enough for us to win. If not? Then Russell better be able to put up 30 pts cause the Pats will score.

I saw him get beat on wheel routes but he was there and the Guys just made plays. I remember one against Arizona specifically.

I'm shocked I haven't got more slack over the kam comment. But from what I saw he takes some bad angles and leaves his hook zones to quickly

OP
OP
S

Strongarm2399

Reaction score
Also I'm not sure why Malcolm smith doesn't get more burn. I get bruce is more explosive but all Malcolm seems to do is make plays and is very rarely out of position where bruce is but able to make up for it due to his freakness. I still expect the pats to attack him

Barthawk

Reaction score
Strongarm2399":157w3ysp said:
Let me start by saying these are by far the best two teams in the league and I expect a hell of a game.

Patriots o vs Hawks d- I think the patriots need to establish the run. If they don't it will get ugly quick. They will not win this game with brady throwing 35 times. After watching lots of seattles all 22 I expect t them to use very little cover 1 and stay with their bread and butter cover 3/inverted cover2. The patriots love using rub routes and picks which vs seattles big dbs could be s recipe for disaster in man. I expect the patriots to attack (don't hate what I'm going to say) kam and Irvin. From what I've seen these two are really the only ones in that defense that make mistakes and take bad angles. Tho seattle doesn't blitz much I excoect them to blitz even less. Brady is deadly vs the blitz. If the Hawks can get pressure with the front 4 they will win. If brady has as much time as rodgers had they will have a tough time. On paper the packers have far superior receivers (and they are in talent as well) but the patriots offense is all option routes that will find holes given time. Aside from running the ball the pats will need to at least attempt to stretch the field. Not that I think they will find much success with it but sending lafell down the sideline vs maxwell is a necessity. If they fail to do this seattle will creep into their inverted cover 2 where earl doesn't respect the deep middle. When they get in this zone its RIP. I also believe that they highlight their backers drops around gronk and don't see him having big number but still having a big impact on the game. Also their trickery offense will not work against Seattle. They are as disciplined in coverage as it gets and will identify a lot faster than the idiots in Baltimore so I don't see this being a factor.

Hawks o vs pats d- this is a much simpler matchup but very intriguing. It will all come down to winning individual match ups. Sea will have to run the ball with Russ and beast. Ne knows it and I expect them to play primarily man with mccourty single high shaded opposite of wherever revis is with Chung in the box. There will be a spy on every play and ideally the patriots would like it to be collins. The issue I see here is he is their best coverage linebacker. And quite frankly better in coverage than Chung. Bellichick will disguise the spy and the robber a lot. The patriots d is discipline and don't expect them to crash on the option but they must let it know it's there. The seahawks must test browner due to the fact that he's guaranteed atleast one pi call. If the Hawks are able to get their zone run going they win. If vince and co get penetration and this game comes down to the Hawks receivers making plays I give them no shot.

I do not see special teams having any type of influence unless there is a muff punt.

In conclusion I feel like this game will come down to whoever has the ball last

Good Post, but don't games that come down the whoever has it last tend to be high scoring? I highly doubt that is the case.. Peter King predicted 31-28 Pats, which is fine, but we have only given up 30 or more points once twice in the last three years.. @SD this season and @Indy last season. Indy scored on a blocked FG return too.

Highly unlikely either team gets in to the 30s IMO. Seattle 26 Pats 17.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Strongarm2399":314jqfmc said:
Also I'm not sure why Malcolm smith doesn't get more burn. I get bruce is more explosive but all Malcolm seems to do is make plays and is very rarely out of position where bruce is but able to make up for it due to his freakness. I still expect the pats to attack him

I think Pete has been playing Irvin more in the 2nd half of the season because he's had to move Bennett inside more with the injuries to Mebane and Hill, so he needs Irvin to not only rush, but to set the outside edge in the run game and chip TE's.

Smith is more of a cover LB, which we saw him do extremely well in last year's SB.

IMO it'll depend on what Belichick's trying to do on Sunday. If he goes run heavy with Blount, then you'll see Irvin. If he tries to go spread with 2 TE's out in routes? Then more Smith.

OP
OP
S

Strongarm2399

Reaction score
Barthawk":2113ec5p said:
Strongarm2399":2113ec5p said:
Let me start by saying these are by far the best two teams in the league and I expect a hell of a game.

Patriots o vs Hawks d- I think the patriots need to establish the run. If they don't it will get ugly quick. They will not win this game with brady throwing 35 times. After watching lots of seattles all 22 I expect t them to use very little cover 1 and stay with their bread and butter cover 3/inverted cover2. The patriots love using rub routes and picks which vs seattles big dbs could be s recipe for disaster in man. I expect the patriots to attack (don't hate what I'm going to say) kam and Irvin. From what I've seen these two are really the only ones in that defense that make mistakes and take bad angles. Tho seattle doesn't blitz much I excoect them to blitz even less. Brady is deadly vs the blitz. If the Hawks can get pressure with the front 4 they will win. If brady has as much time as rodgers had they will have a tough time. On paper the packers have far superior receivers (and they are in talent as well) but the patriots offense is all option routes that will find holes given time. Aside from running the ball the pats will need to at least attempt to stretch the field. Not that I think they will find much success with it but sending lafell down the sideline vs maxwell is a necessity. If they fail to do this seattle will creep into their inverted cover 2 where earl doesn't respect the deep middle. When they get in this zone its RIP. I also believe that they highlight their backers drops around gronk and don't see him having big number but still having a big impact on the game. Also their trickery offense will not work against Seattle. They are as disciplined in coverage as it gets and will identify a lot faster than the idiots in Baltimore so I don't see this being a factor.

Hawks o vs pats d- this is a much simpler matchup but very intriguing. It will all come down to winning individual match ups. Sea will have to run the ball with Russ and beast. Ne knows it and I expect them to play primarily man with mccourty single high shaded opposite of wherever revis is with Chung in the box. There will be a spy on every play and ideally the patriots would like it to be collins. The issue I see here is he is their best coverage linebacker. And quite frankly better in coverage than Chung. Bellichick will disguise the spy and the robber a lot. The patriots d is discipline and don't expect them to crash on the option but they must let it know it's there. The seahawks must test browner due to the fact that he's guaranteed atleast one pi call. If the Hawks are able to get their zone run going they win. If vince and co get penetration and this game comes down to the Hawks receivers making plays I give them no shot.

I do not see special teams having any type of influence unless there is a muff punt.

In conclusion I feel like this game will come down to whoever has the ball last

Good Post, but don't games that come down the whoever has it last tend to be high scoring? I highly doubt that is the case.. Peter King predicted 31-28 Pats, which is fine, but we have only given up 30 or more points once twice in the last three years.. @SD this season and @Indy last season. Indy scored on a blocked FG return too.

Usually but these two qbs just seem to always get it done given the chance. I don't see it being any different here

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Barthawk":t0bmbgpd said:

I also predict a game in the high teens or 20's. But I could also see a game as King predicted if the Hawk's D can't get to Brady and the Pat's D has a hard time stopping our run game and explosive plays.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
If I were the Patriots, with both Thomas and Sherman injured, I would test them early and often. Maybe not Sherman as much because it sounds like his injury will pretty much be a non factor, but with Thomas' shoulder as bad as it sounds, and how the national media are focused on the Pats "not having a deep ball game/throwing everything short in crossing routes", I fully expect them to break out the deep ball early and often. I also don't think Belicheck(no idea if thats how you spell his name) would be stupid enough to run the exact same offensive gameplan that got Denver blown out. I could also see Blount being important because our pass rush has been suspect as it is, if they are able to wear them down with the run, seeing the quality of depth we have at DL, that could be a big problem come second half.

OP
OP
S

Strongarm2399

Reaction score
I really hate the Denver comparison because that game was the second kam rocked dt. Denver is a really soft team