Lockett responds to criticism about third down slide...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good points ^
How many times has he come up with a massive 3rd down conversion? More than ANY player on this team, and at the level that Baldwin did.
Messed up Ribs, and coming off a hammy injury. 17 game season plus hopefully playoffs.

keasley45

Reaction score
Page three already ..

Here is the bottom line. Tyler thought he had the first and went down. Yeah, he goes down a lot. I would rather have him healthy for 17 weeks than have him have a slightly higher YPC for the 8 weeks he's healthy to play. Like him or not, he's not a liar, everyone knows his reputation for integrity.

Kinda on topic....

Every fan should try to go to training camp once in their life to get an actual perspective and close up view of the size of these men. On TV, the perspective is skewed because they all look big. The current league is full of athletic freaks. Men who are 6'3, 260 pounds, bench press 400 pounds, AND run sub 4.5 forties. These same men are fighting for a livelihood that has a very finite window to maximize their income and they go Effing hard.
I don't know how ANYONE makes through a season, especially someone built like TL.

Yup. And all he has to do is look at his benchmate, D Eskridge to see what happens when a 190 pound wr tries to go beastmode for an extra yard that in the grand scheme of things, won't tilt the table in his team's favor.

Concussions can end a career. Going headlong into 3 would-be defenders when you think you've already made the play??

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And it's not like he hasn't been absolutely BLASTED catching a 3rd down over the middle, and held on the ball. It's extremely rare that he DOESN'T come down with it. And yes, he SHOULD HAVE caught that long pass from Geno vs. the Giants. But what did he do? He made up for it, as usual.
And just watch his reaction after he had that miss. He was big time distraught, it's not like the guy doesn't care. He's the ultimate team leader. He doesn't have that C on his chest for no reason. Just sayin.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The only thing I am concerned about is the fact
is you play football and it's not a painless job.
Once you start playing scared it's time to dig in
deep and decide if maybe it's over.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Didn't he say he thought he was beyond the marker?

If that's the case, all the talk about self preservation over a potential game winning play is just talk.

If he thought he already had the first and went down to avoid contact, what's the problem?
Yes, he did say that and actually if folks are willing, it should nullified any of this debate.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I feel like some are expanding the argument here to try and make the counterpoint more valid

I don't think anyone has a problem with Lockett or anyone else choosing their spots to get down. Its smart football and we all love Tyler

The issue is the sudden frequency this year. Worried that it may cost us at some point and being a bit concerned about his frame of mind is valid. No need to pretend people are attacking Tyler or ignoring the value of staying healthy in order to discuss the other side of that :) Pretending people are advocating that is a bit of a strawman. Nobody is saying that.

Lockett is amazing and a legend for us. I just hope he's ok!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Right, because Tyler fricken Lockett cost the Hawks games all the time. Or even EVER.......:confused: :ROFLMAO:
So by that definition, every time a player goes out of bounds instead of blasting his shoulder in to someone.......they are playing scared?

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
He wasn't doing this before this year (correct?)
Self preservation is playing scared to me.
Once your doing that the end is near.
I like the guy but it's only my opinion.

He did avoid contact last year. I feel like he's been doing it to one degree or another since he came back from that gruesome injury.

I dont ever remember thinking he was a dynamic yac guy if he didn't already have a step on a defender. Maybe he was shiftier before he got hurt? Could be completely wrong.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I feel like some are expanding the argument here to try and make the counterpoint more valid

I don't think anyone has a problem with Lockett or anyone else choosing their spots to get down. Its smart football and we all love Tyler

The issue is the sudden frequency this year. Worried that it may cost us at some point and being a bit concerned about his frame of mind is valid. No need to pretend people are attacking Tyler or ignoring the value of staying healthy in order to discuss the other side of that :) Pretending people are advocating that is a bit of a strawman. Nobody is saying that.

Lockett is amazing and a legend for us. I just hope he's ok!
WTF? You're one of the posters "expanding the argument here".

This is a thread about how he made a mistake on a specific play, a mistake he fully acknowledged, thinking he had the 1st down yardage & you keep bringing up "the issue of the sudden frequency" of giving himself up to avoid contact.

You're the one trying "to make a counterpoint more valid".

I'd be concerned if he didn't man up & acknowledge the mistake but he did.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. If he blamed everyone but himself? That sounds like Kyler Murray, Erin Rodgers or Arians Nation.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Me three. When you are focusing on the ball it's very easy not to know which yard line is which or even where the sticks are. His route should have taken him to first down yardage. Maybe that's what screwed him up making him think he had what he needed.
As for YAC, Tyler was always a tremendous yac guy. But he wasn't as old then as he is now.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
WTF? You're one of the posters "expanding the argument here".

This is a thread about how he made a mistake on a specific play, a mistake he fully acknowledged, thinking he had the 1st down yardage & you keep bringing up "the issue of the sudden frequency" of giving himself up to avoid contact.

You're the one trying "to make a counterpoint more valid".

I'd be concerned if he didn't man up & acknowledge the mistake but he did.

Again, nobody is trashing Tyler
By pretending people are doing that, some posters are muddying the argument which isnt necessary
Everyone loves Lockett and respects what he has done for this franchise.
And if you think the incident Sunday was isolated and not part of a bigger trend, that's certainly your right.
Agree to disagree

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Again, nobody is trashing Tyler
By pretending people are doing that, some posters are muddying the argument which isnt necessary
Everyone loves Lockett and respects what he has done for this franchise.
And if you think the incident Sunday was isolated and not part of a bigger trend, that's certainly your right.
Agree to disagree
Have you read this thread?

Some posters are implying he's become mentally weak, including you, while others are straight up calling him "scared" because he made a mistake thinking he had made the first down.

Those are 2 of the worst things you can say about any professional athlete so to say nobody is trashing him is just, at best disingenuous & at worst, a straight up lie.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Have you read this thread?

Some posters are implying he's become mentally weak, including you, while others are straight up calling him "scared" because he made a mistake thinking he had made the first down.

Those are 2 of the worst things you can say about any professional athlete so to say nobody is trashing him is just, at best disingenuous & at worst, a straight up lie.

I've been chill in all my responses including those to you, so ease up a bit
The concerns I've seen have in my opinion been more out of genuine concern for his mental state rather than an attack, but maybe I'm misreading them. It's possible I'm off base of course but I'm not yelling about it, just throwing it out there for conversation. Hope he's well and healthy, hes an all time great

Take Care Hockey Guy

Latest posts