Lockett responds to criticism about third down slide...

strohmin

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to think on this one. This can definitely be discussed without lying to ourselves though. He did not slip. He went down to avoid a hit.

I also am not buying his story that he thought he had it. I hope that Tyler is enough of a pro at this point in his career to know where the line to gain is on a third down. And, he went down well before the line.

If he hadn't gone down, would he have picked up the yardage? I don't know. Tyler is a lightweight WR and he had 4 DBs in front of him. On the other hand, his momentum was in the direction of the line to gain, often multiple defenders converging will result in a seam for the ball carrier since they cannot occupy the same space, and the defenders were not squared up. I doubt he picks up the yardage for a first, but no way to know for sure.

Tyler is making business decisions this year. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just acknowledging the truth.
I watched the play and it looked like he thought he had the first down and yes he did go down to avoid a hit. However, I don't blame him and yeah I'd rather lose that first down then Tyler take a huge hit. Tyler has been great even with the "Business decisions" so I don't mind if he continues to play like this.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
T Lock has more than earned the right to make a business decision at this stage in his career. He has more than proven his toughness and warrior ways with this team. Carry on my friend.

Just don't make it a habit.

TIMD

Reaction score
I've never questioned Lockett's toughness. He's a little guy, who has taken his share of hits over the years. He's been a very good player since the beginning. The team needs him on the field, if he catches the ball & runs out of bounds or falls down to stay healthy instead of maybe trying for the extra yard or two, that shouldn't be a problem. People will really be crying when he separates a shoulder from taking hits that could've been avoided.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to think on this one. This can definitely be discussed without lying to ourselves though. He did not slip. He went down to avoid a hit.

I also am not buying his story that he thought he had it. I hope that Tyler is enough of a pro at this point in his career to know where the line to gain is on a third down. And, he went down well before the line.

If he hadn't gone down, would he have picked up the yardage? I don't know. Tyler is a lightweight WR and he had 4 DBs in front of him. On the other hand, his momentum was in the direction of the line to gain, often multiple defenders converging will result in a seam for the ball carrier since they cannot occupy the same space, and the defenders were not squared up. I doubt he picks up the yardage for a first, but no way to know for sure.

Tyler is making business decisions this year. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just acknowledging the truth.

This is the absolute best response to this issue

Lockett is not without fault for these reactions. He brought this on himself with his multiple flops this year

He also is an amazing player and we do want him to stay healthy

As long as he is strategic with it, I'll give him a pass, but football fans in general don't love seeing less than 100% effort, and if it costs the team a game at some point, that would be incredibly disappointing

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Man, I remember AngryDB going into no-man's land and getting popped big time, over and over.

I also remember him getting broke off and injured. I guess it's alright to lead NoE to an early retirement aswell for a few extra yards in a regular season game...

It's not like he (Tyler) didn't snag a pass later in the "slidegate" game in which Geno hit him in a tiny window over the middle to ultimately get railroaded and pop right back up.

I hope NoE feasts the rest of the season.

Latest posts