Lockett responds to criticism about third down slide...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I hate how many former Dawgs are on that team. What a waste.

Speaking of the yellow line, when we went the game out in Indy, way back (manning was QB) some lady a couple rows behind us says "where's the yellow line?"
That was classic.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
In certain players' case including Lockett's, I fully support self-preservation occasionally at the cost of having to punt in order to be able to play all 17 games. Would rather lose a game than lose the season or, if we make the playoffs, find ourselves weaker with said player on IR.

Occasionally being the key word

Its becoming a repetitive pattern this year, thus the concern

TraderGary

Reaction score
Tyler's a stud, but it seems his focus hasn't quite been to his usual laser focused level the past two games.

I understand his need for self preservation, but there are times during a game you have to know you need to take risks in order to get the 1st down, TD, whatever.

That play yesterday was one of those times. No excuses, he has to not only know where the 1st down is, but he has to know that's one of the times he can't slide early to not take a hit. If we lost, we'd be crucifying him today for not trying to get that 1st.
My thoughts exactly.

I love TL, he's one of my all-time favorite Seahawks. But in that situation in a crucial and very tight and hard-fought game on both sides, he's got to sacrifice his body for the good of the team and get that first down.

We all know TL is not a big man and I'm fine in most instances where he wants to preserve his body to play another day vs picking up an extra couple meaningless yards. But in that particular instance, you've got to ball out. It's the NFL. It's what you're paid to do.

As Sgt. Largent said, if we had lost yesterday, he'd be getting crucified by fans and press alike.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You couldn't be more right. Enjoying telling someone how a player sucks, blew it, is a diva, is soft, blah blah blah.
Kicking a person while they are down, so very 2022.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
It sometimes seems there are fans that like to see their team lose so they can denigrate the players.

I'm not sure that's the case here though.

Seems like a lot of guys in this thread that LOVE Lockett but are concerned that he is more and more frequently choosing safety over going all out for the best on field result

Its quite noticeable this year

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It sometimes seems there are fans that like to see their team lose so they can denigrate the players.

All we said is this would be a much bigger thing if we lost yesterday.

No need to turn it into some fansplaining sermon.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I'm not sure that's the case here though.

Seems like a lot of guys in this thread that LOVE Lockett but are concerned that he is more and more frequently choosing safety over going all out for the best on field result

Its quite noticeable this year
Lockett has been choosing to “give himself up” and or get out of bounds a lot.

And then he got blasted a few plays later.

Then I understood why.

Lockett, Tyler Lockett, must have been talking trash to the Cardinals and they wanted to level Lockett.

Lockett has become the biggest trash talker in the league and for that, the opposing team is out there head hunting Lockett, which is why he has been sliding and giving himself up.

Just kidding.

All kidding aside, Lockett, choosing to go down and just get tagged down is a bit worrisome. There are going to be drives that matter and let’s hope Lockett stops with this giving up thing. It may catch up to him and Seattle ends up losing for his unwillingness to go the distance.

I still support Lockett but it is a bit concerning.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Me too. I don't know how a player takes a hit like that and they just let him keep playing without any sort of check or evaluation. That was an absolutely savage hit.
It didn't look like there was actually much head contact. Look like a solid shoulder to shoulder blast with some incidental head contact. I'm sure when they looked at it they realized theres no head trauma to be worried about.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's a good point Largent, of course it would have been an issue if it actually impacted the game.
If you choose to be concerned about Lockett, have at it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
As if Hopkins didn't push on that TD that was called back (not for the push off)
As if the refs didn't hand them their drive by claiming it wasn't a fumble recovery.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I suggest this.

If there were a way to prove it, I’d bet a weeks salary that the dude wouldn’t slide like that if a SB was on the line. Hopefully we get a chance to see if I’m correct.

Fact is, this is a split decision on us fan’s part.

He’d be taking as much (or more) heat if he had tried for the couple extra yards and took a season ending injury.

He can’t please us all, he did what he felt best. I can’t hate on him for it even if I was a bit miffed at the moment.

Wartooth

Reaction score
I'm guessing he wouldn't have slid two yards short of the goal line! I'd rather have him healthy catching Gino's pretty rainbows, why get sent to IR for the stink'in Card's?!

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'm supporting Tyler on this one. It's a long season, and going the next 8 or 9 games without Tyler is NOT worth a 1st down.

He has taken some pretty brutal hits lately, and I'm surprised he's still playing all of the time. You guys passing judgement on him have no idea what kind of injuries he's dealing with right now.

Memories are short, just a couple of weeks ago Pete wasn't sure if Tyler was going to play because of his injury. But Lockett sucked it up and played. Still people jumped on him because he dropped 1 ball, and got stripped by Adoree Jackson, a defensive back that plays like a safety. Adoree was all over all of our receivers in that game.

Tyler has been in the league a long time, and we need him to be available. Sacrificing the rest of the season for a 1st down would have been plain ignorant.

From that article:

Seahawks wide receiver Tyler Lockett is one of the best in the game at what he does. Few wideouts runs routes sharper, nobody has a better catch rate on deep passes and nobody makes more clutch plays.

That said, nobody’s game is perfect and yards after catch is the one area where Lockett’s is weakest. Some receivers like Deebo Samuel or DK Metcalf excel at adding extra yards with their power and speed. Lockett is plenty quick, but he doesn’t have the frame to take big hits looking for a few extra yards.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Taylor has never struck me as a guy who makes excuses. He admitted he pushed Budda to get the TD. He admitted he should have caught the pass last week that bounced off his facemask and through his hands. When he comments that the yellow line isn't visible on the field, I'm inclined to take him at his word in the implication that he just goofed and wasn't sure where the marker was.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Again, this play in isolation is no big deal

But we've been talking about it all season. This isnt something new

Nobody faults a player avoiding a big shot here and there to stay healthy

But this is turning into a few times per game which is concerning

pmedic920

Reaction score
Again, this play in isolation is no big deal

But we've been talking about it all season. This isnt something new

Nobody faults a player avoiding a big shot here and there to stay healthy

But this is turning into a few times per game which is concerning
And yet we are winning more games than most predicted.
We’ve got a lead in our division, AND TYLER LOCKETT will be available for the next game.

Exactly what are your “concerns”?
Asking for a friend.