Lets be real here

semiahmoo

Reaction score
And that is why my participation is so vital and appreciated...

Mad Dog

Reaction score
mrt144":1i7l3zm9 said:
Mad Dog":1i7l3zm9 said:
Wow the bandwagon empties fast around here.

It's a good thing the playoffs are in January not in September. Then maybe even Tony Romo would have a SB ring.

Let's see what ATL, GB, DAL, and CAR are like in December before we heap doom and gloom on the season. Today we couldn't beat any of them. By the end of the year, who knows.

Bad starts, strong finishes have been our MO since Pete Carroll arrived. I'm not sure why people haven't realized it. I'm also not sure when just making the playoffs wasn't good enough anymore. This was a bottom feeder franchise for years with a decade long streak of futility in the 90's. We are now a top tier franchise with a great owner and FO. We should be enjoying these years because they won't last forever. Winning the SB is tough and making it the only way to determine success for a season is how you end up distraught and depressed year after year. Enjoy the wins, enjoy watching Russell run around making clutch plays, enjoy stifling defense. We won't have them forever as all things in this league are cyclical.

This degree of grumpiness is ludicrous after a win.

We do realize it. It's something a better coach would possibly grow over in their extensive 8 year tenure. A tenure where the defensive talent and QB have all been retained for a pretty penny. It's something that leaves the team incredibly brittle if one of our integral playmakers gets injured.

Was it foolish to have expected PC and crew to make the similar leaps they expect of their raw linemen? Sure. But the team is stagnant and doesn't seem willing to grow beyond what they know and what they care to do. And that makes for these woeful dysfunctional games.

A better coach like? Belichek is the only better coach that I know of that adapts his style to fit his team. Virtually all coaches continue to coach to their philosophy, for better or worse. Probably because that's the best they can do.

It's not like there aren't plenty of other teams struggling with OL play out there right now.

We are a great defense and a lacklustre offence because Pete believes you win with defense and he's always going to favor that side. We lost a superbowl under Holmgren with a great offense and suspect defense. We won a SB with Pete with a great defense and a mediocre offense. The next year the defense was ravaged in the SB and we lost again. There is no doubt in my mind that if Earl, Kam, Sherm, Lane and Avril were healthy for that game we win easily.

Count me a someone that would like to have a better OC and OL coach. But tell me who's available right now?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
johnnyfever":r0o23ksg said:
Siouxhawk":r0o23ksg said:
If you have a chip, chair and a chance in the playoffs, you are a contender. It's a new season and everyone is 0-0.

Hawks have made the playoffs the past 5 years and I fully expect it to happen again this season. I understand some of you have the entitled opinion that we should be in the Super Bowl every year, but I don't look at that as logical reasoning.

We have the synchronicity on our staff to direct us to again being one of the top teams in the league and as a fan, I feel you can't ask for anything more.

Maybe your right Siouxhawk, Just accepting the fact Pete is OK with the line and the offensive production and that making the playoffs is good enough would lower my stress level and frustration. Just relax and at least get a couple extra games out of the season. We got our 1 lombardi, and that's good enough for me.

Ahhh, big weight off my chest now that we took superbowls off the table. Just have some snacks and a beer or two on gameday, maybe mow the lawn in the first half (or 3 quarters) since we know we won't miss much. Heck, don't even really have to start watching them at all until game 7 as we accept the fact that we start slow and thus lower our chances of playoffs at all, that way if we make them it's great! It would be kinda like the old days, just happy we beat the three other teams in our division. Conference schmomference, league schmegue right!

Who's with us!

Go Hawks!

Clearly someone that doesn't love good defensive football. Can't enjoy the Hawks until the offence starts doing things. You've picked the wrong team to follow my friend. Which is funny, since for most of the franchise history this has been a defense oriented team, 80's, 90's and 2010's were all good defensive clubs with average to epically bad offences.

Must have started watching the team in the 00's.

I've been through seasons where a playoff berth was merely a pipedream and yet watched every game, cheering the big plays and hanging my head at the bad ones. If winning the SB is your only measure of success, I don't know what to say. It's sad the giddiness of our first Lombardi hasn't even lasted 5 years. Took almost 40 years to get it and now its somehow an expectation. It's like winning the lottery then expecting to win again the next time you buy a ticket. Be thankful we've got one and 3 visits to the big show. So many teams looking for their first and few that haven't even been there.

mrt144

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2mz7wz1l said:
johnnyfever":2mz7wz1l said:
Siouxhawk":2mz7wz1l said:
If you have a chip, chair and a chance in the playoffs, you are a contender. It's a new season and everyone is 0-0.

Hawks have made the playoffs the past 5 years and I fully expect it to happen again this season. I understand some of you have the entitled opinion that we should be in the Super Bowl every year, but I don't look at that as logical reasoning.

We have the synchronicity on our staff to direct us to again being one of the top teams in the league and as a fan, I feel you can't ask for anything more.

Maybe your right Siouxhawk, Just accepting the fact Pete is OK with the line and the offensive production and that making the playoffs is good enough would lower my stress level and frustration. Just relax and at least get a couple extra games out of the season. We got our 1 lombardi, and that's good enough for me.

Ahhh, big weight off my chest now that we took superbowls off the table. Just have some snacks and a beer or two on gameday, maybe mow the lawn in the first half (or 3 quarters) since we know we won't miss much. Heck, don't even really have to start watching them at all until game 7 as we accept the fact that we start slow and thus lower our chances of playoffs at all, that way if we make them it's great! It would be kinda like the old days, just happy we beat the three other teams in our division. Conference schmomference, league schmegue right!

Who's with us!

Go Hawks!

Clearly someone that doesn't love good defensive football. Can't enjoy the Hawks until the offence starts doing things. You've picked the wrong team to follow my friend. Which is funny, since for most of the franchise history this has been a defense oriented team, 80's, 90's and 2010's were all good defensive clubs with average to epically bad offences.

I've been through seasons where a playoff berth was merely a pipedream and yet watched every game, cheering the big plays and hanging my head at the bad ones. If winning the SB is your only measure of success, I don't know what to say. It's sad the giddiness of our first Lombardi hasn't even lasted 5 years. Took almost 40 years to get it and now its somehow an expectation. It's like winning the lottery then expecting to win again the next time you buy a ticket. Be thankful we've got one and 3 visits to the big show. So many teams looking for their first and few that haven't even been there.

This isn't about being thankful for the small morsels of sports glory in an otherwise drought stricken city. You can't conflate a desire for average at best offense with being unappreciative about everything that lead up to this point.

I've followed Ohio State since I was in diapers and the stunning multi decade and coach success doesn't make 0-31 easier, it doesn't make John Cooper's consistent conservative flubs on offense any better, it doesn't make the back to back National Title game blowouts fine, they are black marks on an otherwise entertaining team who has all the tools and recruiting apparatus around them to be in the hunt every single season.

Blame Pete for raising the bar and keeping so much of his coaching and player personnel intact and then lobbing out some of the most pitiful offense you've ever seen from an NFL team with that much institutional knowledge.

andyh64000

Reaction score
I think it is too early to make any proclamations. We have not gotten a lot of breaks and are 1-1. The defense is probably the best in the league and better than any Seahawks D since at least 2013. The offense will improve and if they can get to even middling level this will be a 10-12 win team and then having the best defense will always give us a chance in the playoffs.
And how many of you who looked at the schedule objectively thought we would be anything but 1-1 at this point.

mrt144

Reaction score
andyh64000":ovrct9ed said:
I think it is too early to make any proclamations. We have not gotten a lot of breaks and are 1-1. The defense is probably the best in the league and better than any Seahawks D since at least 2013. The offense will improve and if they can get to even middling level this will be a 10-12 win team and then having the best defense will always give us a chance in the playoffs.
And how many of you who looked at the schedule objectively thought we would be anything but 1-1 at this point.

I think the bigger question is how many had us at 1 TD through 8 quarters?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
mrt144":2so6ymvz said:
Mad Dog":2so6ymvz said:
johnnyfever":2so6ymvz said:
Siouxhawk":2so6ymvz said:

Who's with us!

Go Hawks!

This isn't about being thankful for the small morsels of sports glory in an otherwise drought stricken city. You can't conflate a desire for average at best offense with being unappreciative about everything that lead up to this point.

I've followed Ohio State since I was in diapers and the stunning multi decade and coach success doesn't make 0-31 easier, it doesn't make John Cooper's consistent conservative flubs on offense any better, it doesn't make the back to back National Title game blowouts fine, they are black marks on an otherwise entertaining team who has all the tools and recruiting apparatus around them to be in the hunt every single season.

Blame Pete for raising the bar and keeping so much of his coaching and player personnel intact and then lobbing out some of the most pitiful offense you've ever seen from an NFL team with that much institutional knowledge.

I think 0-31 is far different from being 1-1, playing stellar defensive football and going through growing pains with another new OL. We all complained through the 90's and rightly so. But this is as good as it gets in the NFL with the parity situation. Playoffs is where the bar should be set since its a hard bar to reach every year. Want to set it higher at Division champion, I'm right there with you. Want to set it at HFA and SB trips every year and you've lost me. History teaches us that its not going to happen.

We denigrate Pete for his horrible offences just like we blew up at Holmgren for his terrible defenses. It is really hard to be awesome at both sides of the ball. Most teams aren't. Many teams are merely mediocre on both sides. I'll take excellent on defense and mediocre to poor on offense over perpetual mediocrity any day.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
mrt144":2va60t6f said:
I think the bigger question is how many had us at 1 TD through 8 quarters?

Probably not Pete or Darrell Bevel.......nor Russell Wilson. This dysfunction is totally unexpected. One would think that the "Offensive minds" of this team would be better at predicting our quality of play.

keasley45

Reaction score
I get all the frustration and doom and gloom, but at the same time, I don't. D Bev and o-line have handicapped this team since the 2012. Our front office has made the decision to live with those liabilities (consciously or otherwise) in favor of a formula that has been successful. Do I like it all of the time? Hell no. Would I prefer we have an adaptive, attacking mentality like new England? You bet. But at the same time, I'm tired of getting upset about something that obviously isn't going to change. But its not like the team sucks or is hopeless. They are what they are. They'll settle for a 'dumb' offense that relies on high probability plays over superior tactics so that they can field one of the best defenses to ever play the game. It's how they are built. And as unimpressive as they can look at times, they are in games at the end of regulation more often than not. In other words, we almost always have a chance to win the game, even when we stink up the joint. How many other teams can claim that? Will the o-line get better? I sure as hell hope so. But If it doesn't from an execution perspective, I thijnk it will result in Russ running and keeping defenses off balance a bit more, which defacto will help the o-line, running game... the entire offense. We couldn't rely on RW to do that last year which I think has maybe seared into our collective conscious images of our qb getting clobbered and our offense totally embarrassed. I sincerely think this year is different. Russ is healthy. They look to be running the read option again, they found their rb1, and the d is argueably better than it's ever been. I think the offensive scheme is adapting to the conditions on the field, ie. A line that clearly needs more time to gel and as a result, the gsmeplans that assumed decent protection are needing to be adjusted on the fly (sometbing bevel struggles with).and it looks sloppy. But they have historically shown the ability to improve game to game, and half to half. They will get better when they scheme to the reality of the situation, rather than what they hoped reality might be.

And the one big thing I was worried about, team turmoil, and resentment between d and o, was quelled a bit yesterday when I was listening to the post game interviews. Inthink a reporter asked sherman whether the poor performance on offense was making the defensive players feel as though their efforts were wasted. He said , and I'm paraphrasing, no because the d knows that the front office has made the decision to invest it's money in its defensive players and that as a result, it means the other side of the ball isn't going to be as gifted. He said they get that and are basically willing to shoulder the burden. He basically said that they understand that they are paid to carry the team, and if the offense struggles... well t hats to be expected because it's built on a budget. If it's good for him and the d, it's good enough for me to at least trust the plan and see where we go. I mean, it's worked before...

keasley45

Reaction score
And yeah, I get pissed that we spent for Graham and dont use him like we should. But i also get pissed when he drops gimme balls in critical situations and when he's open in the end zone and Russ refuses to take advantage of his height and throw him a proper jump ball. So at the end of the day, it's pretty close to a wash in my eyes. I'm good with them getting back to what they do, which I think they can. Run Russ to setup the rest of the o. Then pound Carson, string together some first downs, hit some explosive plays, and demoralize the opposition with a punishing defense.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Josea16":2plqitsa said:
RussB":2plqitsa said:
Im taking the homer glasses off, this team is not a serious contender. They are a borderline playoff team, but wont get past the divisional round again unless the offensive problems are fixed asap. And judging by the last 2 years, its not looking good. They look worse than the past 2 years already on offense. The defense is great, but they cannot just win games by themselves.

GB manhandled them, look what ATL did to GB. Both those teams crush us to be honest. With this historically bad offense, we dont stand a chance against any serious NFC contender its just too much of a weakness. ATL would stomp this team as it is right now just like they did the last time we played them. This team is not a serious superbowl contender unless the offense can atleast become mediocre, and that honestly seems like a huge task right now.

Just venting, hope they turn it around. Oh and fire cable/bevell.
Currently? With no improvement of the OL this is a 7-9 or 6-10 team. I almost hope I'm right so the trash is removed via the coaches but that won't happen until Pete is gone.

Without a doubt, I agree. Pete has lost this team. IDK why Bevell and the O line coach are still with this team. The very first year PC "churned" through how many O lineman candidates? In the majority of seasons he has been here, a good player develops, he is gone. Seahawks got lucky with the formula one year and won the SB. With all the money now being spent on QB and elsewhere, skimping on the very basis of a winning team...the O line, will leave the Hawks in a perpetual spiral, and it will not be up.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
People say "Don't peak too early..." Usually teams go on hot streaks later on in the season. I'm not saying Seattle will but it's possible for some teams, again, probably not our offense with our C-team offensive line built on cast-offs and nobodies. Like, seriously, come on, don't know why Pete Carroll accepts horrendous coaching???

George Fant was our best offensive lineman, second to Britt. But Fant is done and so are our dreams of going back to the Super Bowl! You can take that to the bank!

But yeah, Seahawks will lose to the Titans this week (Titans are really good, don't kid yourself).

Falcons are the class of the NFC and won't be relinquishing that top spot from what I can see!

Damn, the Seahawks offense suck!

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I realize it's early but losses early means a Super Bowl trip if the ship gets righted will be doing something this team has not done....get there while winning on the road. The only thing saving them in that situation is hoping for the saying that "defense travels" holds true

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Pete knows precisely what he's doing. He's surrounded himself with the right people on his staff, pretty much the same set of coaches who delivered a crown just 4 years ago. The Hawks have a system in place that Pete believes in and won't deviate from. It works and produces wins. And that's all that matters.

irocdave

Reaction score
RussB":75slwq44 said:
gowazzu02":75slwq44 said:
Guys we always start slow. Remember last years home opener vs Miami? Almost a carbon copy of this game....

Also, lets not pretend that Atlanta wasn't a dropped TD with 10 seconds to go from losing to the Bears last week.

NFL is crazy, always has been. Things will work themselves out.
yes i agree, the past 2 years have been terrible starts and strong finishes, but what happened in the divisional both years?

We got destroyed by the panthers 31-0 then they playted prevent defense and let us get back in the game. I remember in the beggining of the game the o line got absolutely dismantled by kawaan short it was ugly. Then last year the falcons ran us out of their stadium. That will happen again unless serious changes are made, if this team stays as it stands on offense. They will probably make the playoffs, but get dismantled again in the divisional.

Is that the goal here? Why does everyone seem to be ok with getting stomped in the divisional the past 2 years, they are supposed to get past that and go to the NFC championship. You know what bill belichick did when pats lost to the broncos 2 seasons ago? He saw that brady got hit a record high in that game and immediately fired the o line coach the next day. What happened next year? They won the superbowl, because belichick doesnt hesitate to fix the issue even if that means being disloyal, pete cant seem to do that and its dragging the team down.

I wish we had a "like" button. You nailed it. Tom Cable and Bevelle should have been shit canned years ago. Funny how players get cut for much less, but so called coaches can keep the job and keep making the same mistakes year in and out.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":nubg5kcd said:
Pete knows precisely what he's doing. He's surrounded himself with the right people on his staff, pretty much the same set of coaches who delivered a crown just 4 years ago. The Hawks have a system in place that Pete believes in and won't deviate from. It works and produces wins. And that's all that matters.

CgFtGkxUIAEYZ S

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
irocdave":1y0cxd6f said:
RussB":1y0cxd6f said:
gowazzu02":1y0cxd6f said:
Guys we always start slow. Remember last years home opener vs Miami? Almost a carbon copy of this game....

Also, lets not pretend that Atlanta wasn't a dropped TD with 10 seconds to go from losing to the Bears last week.

NFL is crazy, always has been. Things will work themselves out.
yes i agree, the past 2 years have been terrible starts and strong finishes, but what happened in the divisional both years?

We got destroyed by the panthers 31-0 then they playted prevent defense and let us get back in the game. I remember in the beggining of the game the o line got absolutely dismantled by kawaan short it was ugly. Then last year the falcons ran us out of their stadium. That will happen again unless serious changes are made, if this team stays as it stands on offense. They will probably make the playoffs, but get dismantled again in the divisional.

Is that the goal here? Why does everyone seem to be ok with getting stomped in the divisional the past 2 years, they are supposed to get past that and go to the NFC championship. You know what bill belichick did when pats lost to the broncos 2 seasons ago? He saw that brady got hit a record high in that game and immediately fired the o line coach the next day. What happened next year? They won the superbowl, because belichick doesnt hesitate to fix the issue even if that means being disloyal, pete cant seem to do that and its dragging the team down.

I wish we had a "like" button. You nailed it. Tom Cable and Bevelle should have been shit canned years ago. Funny how players get cut for much less, but so called coaches can keep the job and keep making the same mistakes year in and out.
And they keep on winning.

irocdave

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":553i2j2j said:

Same old story. When you have watched the NFL home team since day one, you see the hypocrisy in this trusting all is good, even when the eye says it isn't. Was last year "good"? No, it wasnt, it was actually bad. How about the year before? Nope, not good enough, especially the way that game ended. Bevell should have been let go before he stepped foot on the plane.

When it isnt good enough to win a SB, you find out why and make the change. Pete and John have not done that. The OC needs to go as does the guy responsible for the O line. Tell me why they should hold their jobs today?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
irocdave":3ruixroz said:
Siouxhawk":3ruixroz said:

Same old story. When you have watched the NFL home team since day one, you see the hypocrisy in this trusting all is good, even when the eye says it isn't. Was last year "good"? No, it wasnt, it was actually bad. How about the year before? Nope, not good enough, especially the way that game ended. Bevell should have been let go before he stepped foot on the plane.

When it isnt good enough to win a SB, you find out why and make the change. Pete and John have not done that. The OC needs to go as does the guy responsible for the O line. Tell me why they should hold their jobs today?
You just choked on your own words as that staff has gotten them to the Super Bowl twice in the last 4 years. That's the point of playing the game.

Last year, Bevell may have done his best job ever, keeping Russ on his feet with play design out of max protect.

Pete dictates the style of the offense. It's about field position, time of possession and winning the turnover battle. The defense, which draws 2/3rds of the salary cap, carries the team in many ways. That's how Pete's built it.