Last Night's Celebration of Pete (Pictures)

KinesProf

Reaction score
The cynic in me says a large reason of why Russ showed up was to do some PR damage control for the monumental hit his image took last year.
Welp haha consider me a sucker, cause I am back on board with wanting the very best for Russ going forward.

Week 1 2022 vs the Broncos and them sucking that season was all the pound of flesh I needed as a Hawks fan.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Calling somebody out because they joined a forum sometime after you is pathetic.

Guess what?
I'm considerably older than you & didn't know that a fan forum even existed before I showed up here.
I meant no harm. It wasn't a "call out". As long as he accepts my apology I don't have much more to say about it. You're 100% free to feel however you please about the exchange, tho.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
You know with Russ coming back how his former players feel about him, even if there was bad blood at one time. Now if we could just get Earl back in the building!
Yeah. That may be a bit more difficult. I’m suspecting he’s in an undisclosed psychiatric facility in Texas.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I meant no harm. It wasn't a "call out". As long as he accepts my apology I don't have much more to say about it. You're 100% free to feel however you please about the exchange, tho.
I'll now apologize since I didn't see your apology to him & you probably realize it was a silly thing to bring up.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
And of course Bill just had to go get himself canned the day after Pete so Good Morning Football is spending 98.9% of the time sucking the teet of Bill.

I can’t even enjoy a nice long segment about Pete on the show.

Thoughtless pr*ck.

😝

rjdriver

Reaction score
Wrong. He was clearly not just their coach, but a mentor, a father figure and a friend. Yeah, they all sure look like they hate Pete :ROFLMAO:

I agree brother...

I think the problem is he became a little too much friend and not enough coach (if that makes sense).

There's the old saying that as a parent, it's more important to be respected than liked. After the amazing run at SC, he came over and everyone paid attention. After that second SB, I think some of that dissipated a bit and he started to become a little too loose with his team.

It's a fine balance, but I'm not sure the new guys (with so many years separated from Pete's SC and early Hawk success) completely bought into Pete's philosophy. They just saw a 72 year old whose trust and loyalty they could take advantage of.

It's time for a new message. Not because the old one was wrong, it's just for whatever reason, people stopped listening.

Last edited:

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Annoyed at Skip for trying to steer the conversation so much about 49. Sherm didn't really take the bait though. Good of Russ to show up. As for the other guys it would have been a **** move to not welcome him there, so I don't read much more into that than the night being about Pete and anyone who wanted to honor him being welcome.

It is sad to think that Pete was if not the only reason, a big part of why these ex-players come back and show up at games etc. I hope that doesn't change now.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
The cynic in me says a large reason of why Russ showed up was to do some PR damage control for the monumental hit his image took last year.

I'm sure part of him is being genuine, but IMO he also saw last night as a good opportunity to get some warm and fuzzy pics of him and Pete on social media.

I think there is something to that. RW has always wanted to look good and therefore tries to do the right thing at all times..or at least what publicly would look like that. Now whether or not it is genuine to his true feelings, hard to say. That being said it is an existential question of does that make you a good person or not?

Choosing to do what is the right thing, even if you don't want to or feel that way. You kind of still do the right thing vs someone who would choose not to because they don't feel that way. So on one hand you are a good person. On the other hand if you're doing it to be good, but you don't genuinely feel that way...you're not being genuine. So maybe you're not a good person either.

I personally need to remember that (The players) are all still young men. They will continue to heal, grow, learn... was I the same person I was 5 years ago? 10 years ago? NOPE. So maybe the same applies to them too, especially with major life events.

When I step back, I have a feeling when they are ALL out of their NFL careers...they will be gracious fully with each other for what was accomplished vs what was missed. Including the fanbase (and that includes me)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I agree brother...

I think the problem is he became a little too much friend and not enough coach (if that makes sense).

There's the old saying that as a parent, it's more important to be respected than liked. After the amazing run at SC, he came over and everyone paid attention. After that second SB, I think some of that dissipated a bit and he started to become a little too loose with his team.

It's a fine balance, but I'm not sure the new guys (with so many years separated from Pete's SC and early Hawk success) completely bought into Pete's philosophy. They just saw a 72 year old whose trust they could take advantage of.

It's time for a new message. Not because the old one was wrong, it's just for whatever reason, people stopped listening.
Makes total sense. His teams lacked a LOT of discipline, his entire time here. The difference was that the LOB won on the regular, so they could overcome the stupid stuff. Doesn't make it right, but they usually did make up for it.

ccla

Reaction score

I'm sure part of him is being genuine, but IMO he also saw last night as a good opportunity to get some warm and fuzzy pics of him and Pete on social media.
That was were my mind went to at first! How can i trust him after what he did. However, this one time, i will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Latest posts