Pete Factor?

SPOHAWK

Reaction score
Much love to Pete...truly the Golden Age of Hawk football...Will Pete's Legacy be instant pressure on the new HC...can he take said pressure?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The team is in a shambles. I think the new coach will have some leeway to fix the mess. With the cap hell and how many holes there are on the team, it's going to take a few years.

renofox

Reaction score
My (maybe flawed) memory of the Seahawks last HC change.

Year 1 - New HC. Some hate.the pick. A few love the pick. Most say "Show Me". Massive churn. The team shows sparks and flashes. 7-9 gives us BEASTQUAKE! Fans see a vision and start buying in.

Year 2 - Keep churning. Starting to see some good pieces and have hope. This team is different! 7-9 again, but things are moving in the right direction.

Year 3 - Coming together. Most pieces in place. 11-5 and lost a Divisional we should have won. Maybe next year.

Year 4 - Perfect off-season. This team is ready. SB WIN, BABY!!!

PC had Beastquake to give confidence, but it wasn't needed. Many fans are educated enough to see the moves and product and decide if a team is on the right track.

As long as we see progress over the next 3 years, I think the majority of fans will be both excited and patient at the same time. At least those who think with their brain instead of their spoiled inner child.

Just remember, PC started with extra picks and a good cap situation. The next HC will be starting with missing picks and a shitty cap situation. Expect a bad year or two to get on track.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I’m okay with a bad 1st year as long as we are
building for playoff success. Developing talent. Solving any cap issues. Sure I’ll question some in-game decisions but first year is a pass ASSUMING we draft a QBOTF. If we don’t then we are delaying AGAIN the best road to success. That’ll be my indicator.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The cap is a mess due to bad contracts and we have players who don't seem
motivated to play hard or stay healthy.
it's clear the Pete culture was not working anymore and it was time for change.
A different set of eyes and a different culture is necessary to get past the hold
of being mid at best because that just isn't good enough.
Pete had plenty of chances to turn it around and fix the issues.
He will always be a legend and is a HOF coach but his time was done for some time.
I didn't want to believe it or see it but it finally hit me after the smoke cleared.
The new coach will be fine and really should not have a Pete thing hanging over his
neck unless it's Quinn and I think that will be the dumbest move but I'm not the GM
for a reason.

cymatica

Reaction score
My (maybe flawed) memory of the Seahawks last HC change.

Year 1 - New HC. Some hate.the pick. A few love the pick. Most say "Show Me". Massive churn. The team shows sparks and flashes. 7-9 gives us BEASTQUAKE! Fans see a vision and start buying in.

Year 2 - Keep churning. Starting to see some good pieces and have hope. This team is different! 7-9 again, but things are moving in the right direction.

Year 3 - Coming together. Most pieces in place. 11-5 and lost a Divisional we should have won. Maybe next year.

Year 4 - Perfect off-season. This team is ready. SB WIN, BABY!!!
That's a bummer. In 4 years tackling will be banned

Jerhawk

Reaction score
If the new Coach doesn't come in and clean house from day 1, choosing instead to stick with the "core" of this roster, that will only set this new coach up to fail. Staying at .500 gets the franchise NOWHERE and I will repeat that until my thumbs fall off.

The new coach needs to come in and set the tone early. Tell some of these entitled punks on the team to hit the road. Build HIS culture and HIS team, not what John wants.

I want this team to go 4-13 next season. Stink it up badly because they need to wipe the slate clean folks. Start from ground zero.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The next guy will have big shoes to fill.

This says it all right here.
WHOEVER the next Head Coach is, he will be under scrutiny, right from the Get-Go.
I'm not saying that it's fair, but Pete has a HUGE LOYALTY LOVE & RESPECT FOLLOWING...Them's some big shoes to fill.
Whoever comes in to take his place, he'll need to hit the ground running; Loyalty is really hard to shag.
I'm not speaking for myself, the fact that over 500 of his avid 'Thank You' Pete Fans (likely a hell of a lot more) have made it abundantly clear, that they are sad to see him get his walking papers.
Some in here say that Pete's Culture building is/was overrated, I'm saying that the incumbent had better not DROP THE BALL on their first few games, or the natives will get restless.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
In other words, to answer the OP, people need to lower their expectations. Just drop them down to this being a bad team, like we're back in 2010.

Then, we'll all be happier once this coach, or the next one, gets the team back into the playoffs with a new style. A new pedigree

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The roster is much better than what is happening on the field. Let's see what a new scheme brings.

Oh I agree with you, but there's still a lot of missing pieces and there are going to be players let go due to the cap. Still need LB's, pass rush, Dline, Oline, and QBOTF. That's not getting fixed immediately.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
You bet your ass there'll be instant pressure. This is a fanbase that hasn't had to deal with abject misery in like 20 years.

I disagree. The fanbase was already restless and in dire want for change. They'll be accepting of a few sub par seasons as long as a path is visible to see for the future.

renofox

Reaction score
2023 starters and key rotation/depth players no longer on roster:

Free Agents
QB Lock
RB Dallas
TE Fant
TE Parkinson
LG Lewis
OC Brown
RG Haynes
OT Curhan*
IDL Williams
IDL Edwards
IDL Adams*
EDGE Taylor*
ILB Wagner
ILB Brooks
ILB Bush
CB Jackson*
CB Burns
* - RFA or ERFA.

Potential Cap Casualties
S Adams
S Diggs
WR Lockett
TE Dissley

That's a lot more than a few holes. And the available cap is a negative $4M. The situation is much worse than many are thinking.

NJlargent

Reaction score
I disagree. The fanbase was already restless and in dire want for change. They'll be accepting of a few sub par seasons as long as a path is visible to see for the future.
I have wanted change for several years. I am happy as a clam that Carroll is gone. I also anticipate being 5-12 and 6-11 in the next couple years and I am fine with that and recognize that it is a side produce of the much overdue change. Quite frankly, if we go 4-13 next year I am fine with that as we are wiping away mediocrity. And in my book, 4-13 is not much worse (if at all) as to what we have seen the past couple years. I gladly will take a few years of 5 wins to have a shot at getting 12 wins in 4 years. That's a lot better than Carroll's guaranteed week 17 needing help to get in and then bounced in the first round for the next 4 years.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
That's a lot better than Carroll's guaranteed week 17 needing help to get in and then bounced in the first round for the next 4 years.
Yep, we've arrived at "4-13 is better than 9-8". Didn't take long at all.

Simple reality is, if Pete could take what you all call a crappy roster and go 9-8 with it, the next coach should be expected to do the same or better. And if Pete was the problem, then the roster wasn't crappy - a roster built by Pete.

There's only so much you can argue with success. I'm well aware of the whole "stuck in mediocrity team" argument, but frankly, the Rams and Eagles would well qualify as that, and you envy those teams.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Yep, we've arrived at "4-13 is better than 9-8". Didn't take long at all.

Simple reality is, if Pete could take what you all call a crappy roster and go 9-8 with it, the next coach should be expected to do the same or better. And if Pete was the problem, then the roster wasn't crappy - a roster built by Pete.

There's only so much you can argue with success. I'm well aware of the whole "stuck in mediocrity team" argument, but frankly, the Rams and Eagles would well qualify as that, and you envy those teams.
I did not say that 4-13 was better than 9-8. My position is that the sky is not falling if we don't win 9 games. If you are going to go 9-8 and miss the playoffs, then 4-13 is not a death warrant. Who knows maybe the new coach will surpass our old 9 win coach, but he also has to deal with some problems, such as cap space hell and roster holes all over the place. Either way, the product was stale and thankfully change happened. It is refreshing to think we might actually be a legit contender soon and not scoreboard watching in week 17 in perpetuity.

I do not envy the Rams because we might now have a coach who can compete with McVay. I do envy Philly. They won a SB in 18, then fired the coach after being irrelevant for a couple of seasons and then made it back to another SB in 2023. During that stretch, we did squat other than win one playoff game against Josh McCown in 2019. This year Philly lost in the wildcard, but a wildcard loss on this Board has historically equated to a successful season because we made the playoffs.

Philly does have a problem with coaching, whereas we just took the right step towards correcting our problem. Good times may finally be ahead of us.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score

The Eagles were in the Super Bowl just last year and the Rams the year before. They are not stuck in mediocrity.

A new coach is not expected to take the same roster and duplicate or better last seasons record. He's expected to churn the roster and set a new course. A course i'll gladly accept whether its worse or better. It'll be something different that the usual fighting to make the post season and the inevitable loss if they did make it.

Latest posts