KJ Wright: I wouldn't pay Geno more than $20M

QWERTY

Reaction score
I would even go up to 23m and incentives to 30 m. That leaves the room to get some more Dline.
You guys are crazy LMAO. 23mill up to 30?

He will ask for a contract more than Carson Wentz or a little discount from there.

"4 year, $128,000,000 contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, including a $16,367,683 signing bonus, $107,970,683 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $32,000,000. In 2023, Wentz will earn a base salary of $20,000,000 and a roster bonus of $6,176,471, while carrying a cap hit of $26,176,470."

So let's say He's willing to take a discount 4 year contract 120mill That's around 30mill average salary.

morgulon1

Reaction score
You're nuts if you think that he's going to take a deal like that.

You're going to have to get comfortable with 30+ million per year because there is no way in hell he's taking a 2 year deal at 20 per year.
Brother , I'm not saying he should or will take that deal. We're just discussing.
I don't think that would be that far off , especially if it is an incentive laden deal for example 20M base , 3M all pro, 3M division champions, 4M NFC champs and SB champions 5M . I don't know anything about cap , salary structure etc.

I have a gut feeling he's going to want serious starter money and he will get it ........ Somewhere.

A lot of players act like they want to bend a little for the team that had faith in them but in reality it's just posturing.

QWERTY

Reaction score
Brother , I'm not saying he should or will take that deal. We're just discussing.
I don't think that would be that far off , especially if it is an incentive laden deal for example 20M base , 3M all pro, 3M division champions, 4M NFC champs and SB champions 5M . I don't know anything about cap , salary structure etc.

I have a gut feeling he's going to want serious starter money and he will get it ........ Somewhere.

A lot of players act like they want to bend a little for the team that had faith in them but in reality it's just posturing.
You realize that QBs won’t take deals or incentives that are division champs or Super Bowl right ? As a QB the incentives are all pro or pro bowl etc it’s a individual effort not a team effort

Seahawker

Reaction score
Some of you are confident Geno will get a 30M+ payday, possible, only takes one team/GM. But I think it will be interesting to see Geno under the TT or on the open market to see his true value in the league. I love GS but only up to a $ limit. We just got rid of an aging, eroding skill set, vastly over paid QB, Go with Lock and a rookie if the price goes too high.

morgulon1

Reaction score
You realize that QBs won’t take deals or incentives that are division champs or Super Bowl right ? As a QB the incentives are all pro or pro bowl etc it’s a individual effort not a team effort
Again , I don't know. I was just discussing. These qbs want all the money , the team wants results , why not tie the money to the results that said QB can deliver.
For example, Jerry Jones decided to pay Dak Prescott serious money yet when there's 2 minutes left and you need a touchdown there's a darn good chance you're going to be disappointed if you're a cowboy fan. He's a B tier QB at best .

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Again , I don't know. I was just discussing. These qbs want all the money , the team wants results , why not tie the money to the results that said QB can deliver.
For example, Jerry Jones decided to pay Dak Prescott serious money yet when there's 2 minutes left and you need a touchdown there's a darn good chance you're going to be disappointed if you're a cowboy fan. He's a B tier QB at best .
There are already incentives in just about every contract on the market, QB or otherwise.

The base pay is likely going to be 30 mil/year plus incentives tacked onto that.

morgulon1

Reaction score
There are already incentives in just about every contract on the market, QB or otherwise.

The base pay is likely going to be 30 mil/year plus incentives tacked onto that.
I wouldn't doubt that. He's getting paid whether it's Seattle or elsewhere.

QWERTY

Reaction score
I agree but it’s either pay a QB that knows the system or start from scratch by developing one. Jerry can’t wait and wants a championship now. As for Geno I don’t think he’s the answer as well but I know he won’t take a big discount. I’m on board to sign a qb cheap deal and re-work on the D

olyfan63

Reaction score
Yup, watching the Cowboys-49ers Division Round playoff game, I was thinking, and announcers also saying, "This is Dak's moment, his opportunity to define his legacy with a game-winning drive here", and each opportunity, Dak failed. Dak's two picks cost the Cowboys 13 points (lost 7 not scored plus 3 on resulting 49ers FG, plus another 3 on 49ers FG) in a game they lost by 7. Blame it on Dak losing Tony Pollard? Sure, but that's just acknowledging Dak's not a carry-the-team-with-his-passing kind of player, against good defenses.

Geno had some very good late-game play in several key games, but failed to move the needle in several others when he had the opportunity to carry the team. An O-Line talent failure more than a Geno failure? Possibly. We really won't know how PC/JS see it until they either sign Geno or let him walk.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
I’m not saying to not sign him. But he can’t win games himself. If we spent a ton on him, then 8-9 wins is our ceiling. He needs to accept a fair deal 15-20mill, or having him won’t matter. Because we will have no supporting team.

And he isn’t a top 10 qb. Top 10 QBs don’t lose to ATL, Tampa, Carolina and NO.
Good God Man

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
You need to quite while you're behind, the more you open your mouth, the more foolish you appear.. You make ridiculous arguments just for the sake of arguing..
He passed that mile marker 10,000 miles ago

hoxrox

Reaction score
Yeah Dak wasn't good, nor clutch.

Geno > Dak

flv2

Reaction score
Smith isn't going to sign a contract before the new NFL year. The Seahawks will either tag him or let him become a FA. Negotiations really only begin after that point...unless the Seahawks make him an offer that exceeds what Smith's agent believes is the market value.

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
Tampa has some good pieces in place for Geno to succeed if Brady leaves. Top 5 OL, top 10 defense, Evans/Godwin. Another RB and TE, they can win with Geno.

Outside of the Seahawks, the Bucs, Commanders, Raiders, Saints, Jets and Giants are the only teams that might make a big offer for Geno

olyfan63

Reaction score
After watching Dak and Geno back 2 back weeks against the same defense...

Geno is the superior QB by every metric. Dak makes $40M APY. Food for thought.
You're saying the Cowboys overpaid for Dak? I'm on the fence on this one, maybe because Dak DID light up bad defenses, and he did beat the Eagles and score against their D when Jalen Hurts was injured. He sure FAILed against the 49ers defense. Glad it's Jerruh's problem.

I don't think we can pay Geno $40M or even $30M and field a competitive team on both sides of the ball.

We do have some pieces in place, cheap-and-good O-Line, that could help us have a window. Geno was fantastic overall this year, but I'd just as soon see the Hawks create the overall team foundation, and go heavy on the D front 7 and the OL in the draft and free agency. We picked up 5 starters in the '22 draft, and have similar draft capital this year. If John & Co. (not Pete) can nail another draft and get 5 more quality starters in '23, we'd have roughly 12 out of 22 starters on rookie contracts. Add a couple Nwosu/Avril/Bennett quality signings, and we'd have a good and cheap team. Then, do we spend $30M on Geno at the cost of being about 2-3 quality players down, for cap reasons? Do we take a QB in the draft and hope we get lucky?

I agree 100% with KJ that if another Lombardi is our target, we need to keep Geno at max $20M of cap, or we'll be a Divisional-and-Done team just like with Russell after he got paid. Rather than pay Geno $30M, I'd rather try to sign Lock for a 2-3 year backup deal if $5M with incentives to $15M if he becomes our starter, and/or take a QB in the draft if there's one that Pete and John like. SF took a developmental QB 7th round flyer on Brock Purdy and it's saved their season; PC/JS never, IIRC, *drafted* a developmental QB since Russell in the 3rd, apparently to avoid triggering Mr. Limited's feelings. (Please correct me if I'm wrong and Hawks have *drafted* developmental QB(s))

Stroud, Levis, or Young would appear to be potential targets at #5. I'd be OK with Young, after realizing that 5'9" 180 lb Warrick Dunn played 11 years in the NFL--at RUNNING BACK. QB is a much more protected position than it ever used to be. So a similarly sized Young *could* hold up.

Loved what Geno did for us this year, but he's not a tilt-the-field player. Wilson, on his rookie deal, was, because of his running threat, and his cheap rookie deal allowed the Hawks to buy additional talent and make it to two Super Bowls. I have to come down on the side of NO on betting on Geno at $30M per, if Lombardi is our goal.

Latest posts