KJ Wright: I wouldn't pay Geno more than $20M

massari

Reaction score
Basically too many holes on the roster to spend that much on a guy like Geno

Would you be happy with Drew Lock and a rookie going forward, or Geno at $30M?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't think the market is going to give Geno 30M+, if that's the starting point for he and his agent (which we can assume it is).

I think the contract Geno's going to sign is a 3 year deal with around 60M guaranteed with annual average of around 25M+ incentives for him to get paid over the 30M if he replicates what he did this year, stays healthy, etc.

To answer your question, depends on the rookie. If it's Young or Stroud I'm good with a cheap deal for Lock and have them battle it out in camp.

If it's Levis or Richardson, or a rookie that's going to require more time to develop? No, I'm not happy with the locker room imploding cause the guy the love is being replaced with his backup who hasn't proven anything, or won over anyone.

BASF

Reaction score
Geno at 25-30 mil.

OR

a rookie QB at #5 + Lock, and a FA DT like Da'Ron Payne?
If Stroud is there at five, sure. I watched too many Levis' games to think he should be drafted that high. Bryce Young will not last five years in the NFL with his frame, so how much time do you want to take getting him up to speed only to lose him in a few years to injury?

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
To answer your question, depends on the rookie. If it's Young or Stroud I'm good with a cheap deal for Lock and have them battle it out in camp.

If it's Levis or Richardson, or a rookie that's going to require more time to develop? No, I'm not happy with the locker room imploding cause the guy the love is being replaced with his backup who hasn't proven anything, or won over anyone.
They have to make a decision on Geno before the draft, so whoever would be competing with Lock won't matter in their choice.

KJ's point is basically they aren't winning paying Geno $30M with so many other holes, so why bring him back at that amount? Gamble on Lock+rookie.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
They have to make a decision on Geno before the draft, so whoever would be competing with Lock won't matter in their choice.

KJ's point is basically they aren't winning paying Geno $30M with so many other holes, so why bring him back at that amount? Gamble on Lock+rookie.

And if they resign Geno before the draft, then there's your answer, scenario 2 isn't happening.

I get the question, but I can't answer it without knowing who the rookie is, and I'm certainly not comfortable with rolling into the season with Lock and an unnamed rookie who might need an entire year or more to develop.

So if I gotta pay Geno 30M in 2023 to stabilize the QB position while we build the defense and round out the rest of the roster? Then I'm OK with that.

Now do I want to pay him 30M+ for 2-3 seasons? Nope.

WarHawks

Reaction score
If the prevailing wisdom by so many is that we don't need an elite qb, just a good one, along with an elite defense, then why would we want to pay Geno big bucks, which will make fielding that elite D that much more difficult, instead of just rolling with Lock and a rookie?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
If the prevailing wisdom by so many is that we don't need an elite qb, just a good one, along with an elite defense, then why would we want to pay Geno big bucks, which will make fielding that elite D that much more difficult, instead of just rolling with Lock and a rookie?

Exactly. Paying Geno doesnt make any sense to me.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

Because Lock and/or a rookie might not be a "good one."

Geno is.

You guys talk in uncertainties, instead of certainties. Geno is a certainty. We can certainly debate what he costs, that's a real discussion. But these "hey lets just roll with some dudes who no one in the locker room respects nor has proven they can do the job" isn't really a viable conversation.

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
And if they resign Geno before the draft, then there's your answer, scenario 2 isn't happening.

I get the question, but I can't answer it without knowing who the rookie is, and I'm certainly not comfortable with rolling into the season with Lock and an unnamed rookie who might need an entire year or more to develop.

So if I gotta pay Geno 30M in 2023 to stabilize the QB position while we build the defense and round out the rest of the roster? Then I'm OK with that.

Now do I want to pay him 30M+ for 2-3 seasons? Nope.
Brady Henderson came out with this recently:

The Seahawks, meanwhile, no doubt want to re-sign their Pro Bowl quarterback, but they have an offensive system they believe to be QB-friendly. They also believe there are potentially viable alternatives on more affordable contracts should Smith's asking price get too high for their liking.

The Seahawks already believe they have cheaper alternatives who can "stabilize" the QB position.

Last edited:

hawkfan68

Reaction score

Lock is a unrestricted FA once this season ends. He's not guaranteed to be back.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Brady Henderson came out with this recently:

The Seahawks already believe they have cheaper alternatives who can "stabilize" the QB position.

Pete also said "we found our guy" when asked about Geno.

So Henderson's comments don't really prove that Pete and John aren't willing to give Geno a decent contract.

Now if Geno and his agent think they're getting stupid money? Yeah I'm sure Pete and John are confident that they're system is QB friendly enough to hopefully find Geno's replacement.

But Henderson's comment doesn't = we're not paying Geno. Just means they're already spinning the PR machine to make sure Geno and his agent know they're not giving him stupid money and are perfectly fine letting him walk if another team does.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Drew Lock will not be on this roster next year. What are you guys thinking? He suddenly isn't shit? There's not a scenario where he is back, not for minimum, not as a beer vendor.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
He's got a year experience learning this offense, and who's going to overpay for Drew Lock to pry him away? He'll be back for next to nothing if the Hawks want him.
Sign Lock to the same deal that Geno signed this year ($3.5M + $3.5M in incentives).

Draft a QB but go with Drew in 2023.

I support KJ's viewpoint.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
He's got a year experience learning this offense, and who's going to overpay for Drew Lock to pry him away? He'll be back for next to nothing if the Hawks want him.
Seahawks don't necessary need to sign Lock either. There could be other viable QBs that could suffice as backups or competition.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score

If it's Levis or Richardson, or a rookie that's going to require more time to develop?
Think you need to flip Stroud and Levis.

Still undecided on whose the better overall prospect, but…

Kentucky played a version of the Ram’s offense (with former Ram’s coach) while Stroud played in the flash card T-OSU system not exactly known for producing pro ready QB prospects.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Think you need to flip Stroud and Levis.

Still undecided on whose the better overall prospect, but…

Kentucky played a version of the Ram’s offense (with former Ram’s coach) while Stroud played in the flash card T-OSU system not exactly known for producing pro ready QB prospects.

Very few draft boards have Levis projected over Stroud.

And I'm certainly not savvy enough or have watched enough tape to have any sort of certainty about either, other than what I'm reading.

But in general, Stroud and Young are the two most NFL ready QB's in the draft, thus why they're both projected to go top 5.

Latest posts