KJ Wright: I wouldn't pay Geno more than $20M

Jegpeg

Reaction score
That can be said about any top 5 pick. Why is a qb any different?
Sure it is a risk but success rate is higher in other positions, presumably because it is easier to assess talent.. All-pro is a high bar for "success" but I think the same is true for a lower standard of "good". 26% of linebackers picked in the first round become an all-pro but only 5% of QBs.

BASF

Reaction score
That can be said about any top 5 pick. Why is a qb any different?
Because if a defensive player "busts" he is still getting snaps as part of the rotation especially on the defensive line. If a QB busts, if you are lucky you never see them play because your starter stays healthy. If he doesn't stay healthy, you might get a win or two out of him.

Also, only Aaron Donald makes $30M a year on the defensive line. To get to $30M a season for QB you have to go all the way to thirteenth and the ghost of Matt Ryan.

As far as generational opportunity, we Seahawks fans have been very lucky to consider top ten picks to be generational. There are a lot of franchises that have top ten picks at least two or three times a decade. I hope that we can continue the trend.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
So what are your thoughts if you're wrong? What if he gets 35+ million a year? Your 3 year, 60 million guaranteed is quite frankly an absurdly low number. That's is not happening. Go look at the most recent QB contracts and how they've been ramping up. Tannehill had a similar season after disappointing in Miami and he got 29.5, really 30 million per year with incentives.

That was just 2 years ago, since then the salary cap and contracts have ramped up pushing the floor for QB contracts ever higher. There are now 13 QB's making around or higher than 30 million per year at the moment. Close to half the league.

Geno is going to get paid.

Of course I could be wrong.

Like I said, this is an unprecedented scenario that has no comp to figure out salary range.

But listening to Schneider on yesterday with Wyman and Bob, he sure seemed adamant that they have their hard ceiling on Geno and they're not going to overpay.

What that means? I have no idea, and neither does anyone else.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Because Lock and/or a rookie might not be a "good one."

Geno is.

You guys talk in uncertainties, instead of certainties. Geno is a certainty. We can certainly debate what he costs, that's a real discussion. But these "hey lets just roll with some dudes who no one in the locker room respects nor has proven they can do the job" isn't really a viable conversation.
He’s a certainty? How? He has one good year. Lots and lots of one hit wonders and once they get paid they disappear.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
He’s a certainty? How? He has one good year. Lots and lots of one hit wonders and once they get paid they disappear.

As opposed to all of Drew Lock's Pro Bowl years? Or the most uncertain commodity in all of pro football, a rookie QB?

What about Geno's personality, work ethic and performance this year tells you "one hit wonder?"

Cause I certainly don't see any red flags. He played 80% of the season as a top 10 QB, and nothing on film or his work ethic doesn't say he'll continue to play at that level.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Probably a little of each, and like this year that all equals Pro Bowl and franchise records for things like yards, cmp% and completions.

Listen, there are only 3-4 elite QB's in the league. After that we're just discussing whether Geno belongs in the next tier of QB's 4-12.

And as of now, his statistics show he does. Now what does that equal for paying him? I have no idea, his situation is really unprecedented.

As we all know, it's not really what WE'RE willing to pay him, it's does he have the leverage to maximize that number because of what other teams are willing to pay him.......and we just don't know that variable right now.
I sort of agree BUT while his season long stats show he belongs the last 6-8 weeks don't imo.
Of course I could be wrong.

Like I said, this is an unprecedented scenario that has no comp to figure out salary range.

But listening to Schneider on yesterday with Wyman and Bob, he sure seemed adamant that they have their hard ceiling on Geno and they're not going to overpay.

What that means? I have no idea, and neither does anyone else.
I think that’s why this situation is so fascinating, no outcome would surprise me really. I have my preference for how it plays out but we have zero clue what Seattle is thinking. My gut says Brady Henderson is closer to the truth being close to the team and he’s been pretty good about this stuff than Ian R. is but who knows

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
If the prevailing wisdom by so many is that we don't need an elite qb, just a good one, along with an elite defense, then why would we want to pay Geno big bucks, which will make fielding that elite D that much more difficult, instead of just rolling with Lock and a rookie?
Because they haven't even been able to field a mediocre defense much less elite for 5 years

Donn2390

Reaction score
So you're saying going with a proven Geno or an unknown, unproven rookie is the same thing? Most good/great QB's start with one good year before going on to many more good years, that's how life works.
There are no guarantees in life, ask Mr. Hackett.. or Russ for that matter... Life's a gamble, then ya die..

Hawk4life

Reaction score
So it sounds like JS has drawn the line in the sand with Geno $, it's going to be up to Geno now. Pretty sure we all know how this is going to play out. AKA Matt Hasselbeck.

“There’s a balance when you’re building a team, always, and Geno knows that,” Schneider said. “He’s been to a number of different teams and he’s seen it firsthand so he understands the process. We’ve had clear communication with his agency and Geno himself, so he knows where we stand. But I’m really proud of him, I’m really happy for him.”

Natethegreat

Reaction score
As opposed to all of Drew Lock's Pro Bowl years? Or the most uncertain commodity in all of pro football, a rookie QB?

What about Geno's personality, work ethic and performance this year tells you "one hit wonder?"

Cause I certainly don't see any red flags. He played 80% of the season as a top 10 QB, and nothing on film or his work ethic doesn't say he'll continue to play at that level.
I'd like to see Geno back but I did find his temperament as concerning. He lost his cool a lot this year. However he didn't seem to let it affect his play I don't think. That isn't what I want to see from our starting QB though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'd like to see Geno back but I did find his temperament as concerning. He lost his cool a lot this year. However he didn't seem to let it affect his play I don't think. That isn't what I want to see from our starting QB though.

He lost his cool?

He seemed pretty calm to me most of the time. Some frustration with DK's poor route running on some picks and incompletions, but that was about it.

I'm only defending the fact that I don't see any red flags with Geno's personality, work ethic and commitment to getting better that would say his play this year was some sort of aberration, or as someone said a "one hit wonder."

That's pure conjecture......and if we're comparing it to the "hey let's just roll with a cheap Drew Lock or rookie QB?" That's an even bigger uncertainty than a full year of Pro Bowl Geno.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
We know, Geno walks on water
Bent out of shape crowd telling me "nobody said that" in 3.....2......1........

Half joking, but it's still funny. Just MY opinion. But look where we are. We are talking about GENO SMITH getting 30 plus mil a year. They'll regret it if it's more than a year or two.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
You sure do know your football alright. No QB who has ever been a back up is worth a darn. None in the history of the NFL have ever succeeded before. It's OK, we understand your short comings

Wish you could understand Geno's. Dude was a backup for 7 or 8 seasons for a reason.

Last edited:

chrispy

Reaction score
The only real question here is if JS tags Geno with the non-exclusive franchise tag or the transition tag. Everything else is pure conjecture until that happens in a few weeks.

CPHawk

Reaction score

I’m not saying to not sign him. But he can’t win games himself. If we spent a ton on him, then 8-9 wins is our ceiling. He needs to accept a fair deal 15-20mill, or having him won’t matter. Because we will have no supporting team.

And he isn’t a top 10 qb. Top 10 QBs don’t lose to ATL, Tampa, Carolina and NO.

BASF

Reaction score
I’m not saying to not sign him. But he can’t win games himself. If we spent a ton on him, then 8-9 wins is our ceiling. He needs to accept a fair deal 15-20mill, or having him won’t matter. Because we will have no supporting team.

And he isn’t a top 10 qb. Top 10 QBs don’t lose to ATL, Tampa, Carolina and NO.
I am curious as to who you think can win games by themselves.

Donn2390

Reaction score
Wish you could understand Geno's. Dude was a backup for 7 or 8 seasons for a reason.
What your saying is, 31 other teams blew it big time for 7 or 8 seasons. Geno was never really given a chance until this year. He had a decent rookie year and would very possibly be a star with the Jets today if not for a broken jaw.
Absolutely no way of ever knowing what could have been. He could be a complete bust next year of perhaps win the SB, but by looking at the year he had this year, there is no reason to believe he won't equal or most likely surpass this years accomplishments.
The ONLY reason people refuse to believe in Geno is because he has carried the clip board for years. Judging people on their past is a very poor way of judging, just prejudicial, backwards way of thinking.