Kearse...perhaps laser eye surgery helped w/ the drops

volsunghawk

Reaction score
The concern with LASIK (which I was informed of when I had my vision correction surgery) is that the flap of cornea that they cut through doesn't heal 100%. It is always a weak point and anyone who participates in contact sports (like boxing or football) is at a higher risk of the flap becoming dislodged upon significant impact - which, of course, will totally ruin the person's vision until corrective surgery can take place. I had PRK instead, which was reportedly more painful than LASIK and had a longer healing time (months, rather than days). My vision was blurred significantly for a week or so after the procedure, but it improved greatly over the course of the next couple of months. I went from 20/1000 vision to pretty much 20/20, though I'm a touch farsighted now (the result of a very slight overcorrection that is built into the procedure, as the eyes are expected to adjust over time).

So, I'm glad that Kearse had the surgery and that they were able to handle his astigmatism... but I wonder if he was informed of the same "impact" caveat that I was.

hawker84

Reaction score
I'm all for giving the dude a second chance, being a contact user myself, i know how they move around at any given time, i have problems golfing with them sometimes, can't imagine playing a contact sport..

Hope he shines this year, i'm rootin for you chop....

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3etohbdt said:
The concern with LASIK (which I was informed of when I had my vision correction surgery) is that the flap of cornea that they cut through doesn't heal 100%. It is always a weak point and anyone who participates in contact sports (like boxing or football) is at a higher risk of the flap becoming dislodged upon significant impact - which, of course, will totally ruin the person's vision until corrective surgery can take place. I had PRK instead, which was reportedly more painful than LASIK and had a longer healing time (months, rather than days). My vision was blurred significantly for a week or so after the procedure, but it improved greatly over the course of the next couple of months. I went from 20/1000 vision to pretty much 20/20, though I'm a touch farsighted now (the result of a very slight overcorrection that is built into the procedure, as the eyes are expected to adjust over time).

So, I'm glad that Kearse had the surgery and that they were able to handle his astigmatism... but I wonder if he was informed of the same "impact" caveat that I was.

This is purely anecdotal, but my coworker got hit in the eye with a rock thrown by his weedwacker (he was stupidly not wearing goggles), and it didn't displace the cornea. So I don't think Kearse (or anyone else) will have as much trouble with corrective surgery as might be expected. Of course, that only holds up until someone does have their cornea dislodged after a hit...

falcongoggles

Reaction score
The Air Force debated for a long time over allowing fighter pilots to get LASIK because of these same reasons and the high/repetitive G-load experienced in the cockpit . The USAF now approves LASIK for all fighter pilots and hasn't had any problems with corneal displacement.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1a8y77a8 said:
It'd be pretty funny if we gained a legit starting receiver because of Lasik, haha.

Well supposedly some kind of eye correction is what turned Edgar Martinez into a legit MLB hitter so who knows!

Fudwamper

Reaction score
falcongoggles":19xrkrqj said:
The Air Force debated for a long time over allowing fighter pilots to get LASIK because of these same reasons and the high/repetitive G-load experienced in the cockpit . The USAF now approves LASIK for all fighter pilots and hasn't had any problems with corneal displacement.

It has also been approved for the army for combat soldiers. Where as before they could only get PRK.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Fudwamper":2qd7klyn said:
falcongoggles":2qd7klyn said:

It has also been approved for the army for combat soldiers. Where as before they could only get PRK.

That's all good to know. Maybe my clinic's surgeons were a little bit out of the loop.

I'm gonna go ask them for a refund. :mrgreen:

kearly

Reaction score
I just noticed your location description Vol. That's hilarious.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Wenhawk":16y9m2ic said:
I like Kearse but I'm rooting for Stephan Williams an Chris Harper to out produce him because I think both have better size and a higher ceiling. I don't think Kearse will ever be more than a good #4 WR whereas Harper could be very similar to a David Boston or Anquan Boldin, and S. Williams could be our future Sidney Rice replacement.

agree completely.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Kearse was a heartbreaker at the Dub and it's hard to forget his numerous, critical drops.

I understand vision can change, and can do so dramatically, but if he had this problem in college (blurred vision in one eye), wouldn't he report this to Sark? I am not challenging his comments about his vision as a Hawk, but I would be surprised if that was his problem at UW. After a great start, I'd say he did have a hard time focusing , but unsure if it was his eyes or his head. I think tape will show he had a tendency of looking for running room and taking his eye off the ball as he did. I think he became a victim of his own success at UW and either forgot the fundamentals of the position or felt he was above mere fundamentals. Regardless, I wish him well. His was a mighty, mighty fall.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
falcongoggles":37cmg65y said:

I remember the military using Schiotz tonometers long after they were shown to be an inaccurate way to measure the intraocular pressure. Which is a way to explain that the military is very slow to accept new medical technology in some areas.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":14617jfe said:
Coug_Hawk08":14617jfe said:
Kearse is the new obomanu.
I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with that

All the signs are there. Nothing stands out about kearse, but he will be a solid utility guy, and a staple on ST. He will always have a chance at the bottom half of the wr rotation. Those players are important, but a few years down the line I think we will all be saying "gosh I wish a younger guy with more potential would grab that spot".

How is that not like obo?

Throwdown

Reaction score
Johnny":9o4rctoh said:
Chop-Chop with no more Drop-Drops, Is a good thing.

Too bad we're talking about practice for "chop chop", he'll be back to dropping the ball by Thursday.

Seaswab

Reaction score
There's a gigantic all out slobberfest from Softy and other Husky fans hoping this complete boob makes the team. Guaranteed, first chance he has in the regular season, he drops the ball. Guaranteed.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Seaswab":wic9mbse said:
There's a gigantic all out slobberfest from Softy and other Husky fans hoping this complete boob makes the team. Guaranteed, first chance he has in the regular season, he drops the ball. Guaranteed.

What do we get if you lose?

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Seaswab":uylszzve said:

You seam to be rooting against his success.

You have issues dude.