Inside the Seahawks Draft Room

Germanhawk7

Reaction score
Really nice Article

- We had two Players for #5 Anderson and Witherspoon
- A total of 20 players worth 1. roundpick (JSN was one of them)
- Derick Hall was the last player on Seahawks Board worth a 1. roundpick so that was the reason why we picked him at #37

Last edited:

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Thank you for the link. Interesting read. They stuck to their guns about BPA. I hope they continue drafting this way. It seems like talent evaluation was never the problem but picking for need instead of BPA was the issue previoulsy. They also seem to be less enamored with measurable and decided to put more value in the intangibles (grit, aggressiveness, love of the game).

Ozzy

Reaction score
Cool article. A few teams had a first round grade on Hall so it seems like good value at 37 to grab him. Will be interesting to see how it plays out as there were a few interior guys available there but Hall is about as easy to root for as anyone with his back story. Super excited to see what he can do.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, they showed that story on NFL Network again yesterday. Just incredible, and a true definition of underdog.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Fantastic read!! seems like a well oiled machine, no chaos, just stick with the plan, deviate when it works better for the future and keep plugging away. If you did the research in the months prior it makes the execution on the day damn near seamless.

Jac

Reaction score
Awesome read! Kind of got sucked into reading the whole thing now instead of focusing on the job...

ivotuk

Reaction score
Cool article. A few teams had a first round grade on Hall so it seems like good value at 37 to grab him. Will be interesting to see how it plays out as there were a few interior guys available there but Hall is about as easy to root for as anyone with his back story. Super excited to see what he can do.
I forget who it was, Matt Miller maybe, but they said Derick Hall had a 1st round grade from several evaluators.

toffee

Reaction score
Really nice Article

- Derick Hall was the last player on Seahawks Board worth a 1. roundpick so that was the reason why we picked him at #37
Anderson and Witherspoon, that answered the question on Richardson

Last edited:

sc85sis

Reaction score
We also got clarification on what John meant when he commented about things being weird in round three. He was referring to players they’d eliminated due to medical issues or had ranked as UDFA getting selected by other teams—not the Hawks missing out on players.

sutz

Reaction score
We also got clarification on what John meant when he commented about things being weird in round three. He was referring to players they’d eliminated due to medical issues or had ranked as UDFA getting selected by other teams—not the Hawks missing out on players.
Well, if you plan to pick up a guy as a UDFA and someone drafts him it kind of means you "missed out" on him. ;)

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I like these behind the scenes write ups. Last year, this thread (link below in Similar threads) didn’t get as much traction as it deserved.

Reading in between the lines of the Seahawks own draft board I’d guess they came away with:

One of their top 3 graded players in Witherspoon at #5.

One of their top 12 players in JSN at #20

One of their top 15-20 players in Derick Hall at #37.

Despite needs they went best player available at #52 which was a low-key need as the Seahawks did need a big, physical workhorse type back to really complement Walker’s game. I like that Pete Carroll made the call, last year, there was more of collective discussion in taking Walker at #41. I liked a lot of RBs in this draft, they could have taken any one of them in the mid-rounds and I would probably would have been satisfied. However, the one thing that kept me wanting and pulling for Zach Charbonnet especially over the rest of the bigger, more physical backs is that he doesn’t fumble. ZC can do alot of dirty work but also has the awareness and were-with-all to protect the rock with his life. I’m sure that was a big reason Carroll had the conviction to call off due diligence, the RB class was deep enough to balk at BPA for a bigger need but Carroll was like…nope, we’re taking this dude, right here, right now.

I kind of want to know who the guy was they had pegged for #83.

YaYa Diaby and Zach Harrison had similar length and strength profiles similar to Mike Morris that you could beef up to play 3T end.

Not to forget Bama’s Byron Young who was probably one of the most plug and play 3-4 edges in the class. A Jarran Reed mentorship would have been outstanding for him.

Tyler Steen was an OT they visited with that possibly could have moved to OG like the McVay tree has a reputation of doing. They took OG with their next pick.

Pickens had a similar profile to Cam Young but with more pass rush upside.

Sydney Brown had a similar athletic profile and positional versatility to Jerrick Reed but is bigger and stronger and his body of work was in a more competitive conference and pairing him with a former teammate would have its positives.

Both Drew Sanders and Marte Mapu also seemed like guys that could play multiple positions and be big time situational chess pieces especially in a 3-4 hybrid.

And then there is Hendon Hooker, who was likely the easiest QB to redshirt behind Geno, the most comparable QB to what Geno brings to the table in skill set, and perhaps the biggest reason I liked Hooker was he looked like the most coachable and controllable out of the big 5. Meaning he is more apt to stay on schedule within the scheme and play call rather than try to take control of the offensive identity and do his own thing for better or for worst.

If I had to pick one that just made the most sense to perhaps filling both a need and possibly BPA it would have been Byron Young. He would have been ready to start immediately if needed and had outside/inside flexibility to be a 3-4 end or a 4-3 DT.

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
I like these behind the scenes write ups. Last year, this thread (link below in Similar threads) didn’t get as much traction as it deserved.

Reading in between the lines of the Seahawks own draft board I’d guess they came away with:

One of their top 3 graded players in Witherspoon.

One of their top 12 players in JSN.

One of their top 15-20 players in Derick Hall.

And despite needs they went best player available at 52 which was a low-key need as the Seahawks did need a big, physical workhorse type back to really complement Walker’s game. I like that Pete Carroll made the call, I liked a lot of RBs in this draft, they could have taken any one of them and I would probably wouldn’t have hated it but the one thing that kept me wanting Zach Charbonnet especially over the rest of the bigger, more physical backs is that he doesn’t fumble. ZC can do alot of dirty work but also has the awareness and were-with-all to protect the rock with his life. I’m sure that was a big reason Carroll had the conviction to call off due diligence, the RB class was deep enough to balk at BPA for need but Carroll was like “nope, you’re taking this dude, right here, right now”

I kind of want to know who the guy was they had pegged for #83.

YaYa Diaby and Zach Harrison had similar length and strength profiles similar to Mike Morris that you could beef up to play 3T end.

Tyler Steen was an OT they visited with that possibly could have moved to OG like the McVay tree has a reputation of doing. They took OG with their next pick.

Pickens had a similar profile to Cam Young but with more pass rush upside.

And then there is Henson Hooker, who was likely the easiest QB to redshirt behind Geno, the most comparable QB to what Geno brings to the table in skill set, and one of the biggest reasons I liked Hooker was he looked like the most coachable and controllable out of the big 5. Meaning he is more apt to stay on schedule within the scheme and play call rather than try to take control of the identity and do is own thing for better or for worst.
NICE write up!

Fade

Reaction score
Really nice Article

I knew it! I didn't get the vibe they really loved these QBs.

I thought their guy was Anderson all along, which is now confirmed.

Surprised they had 20 first round grades in this draft though. They need to tighten that up.