Kam's tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":3vji91pr said:
People really don't bother to read on this forum anymore... they just start typing blah blah blah before actually considering what the post said.

Can I make this my signature or at least into a bumper sticker?

:p

hawknation2018

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":3m3n6gve said:
RCATES":3m3n6gve said:
If you're blaming the defense for this downfall you need to watch more football. Seahawks offense has been god awful doing little to nothing until the 4th quarter. Basically leaving the Defense on the field the whole game. Time of possession was lopsided as all hell.

People really don't bother to read on this forum anymore... they just start typing blah blah blah before actually considering what the post said.

What did I say?

Was it the PLAY of the defense I critiqued?

Nope.

It was leadership.

The defensive leaders on this team, that got the checks, that had the influence, and all the press attention, quite frankly didn't show good leadership. They FAILED at it, time and time again. They had temper tantrums on sidelines, they had fights with the offense and fights with each other, and all out brawls in practice that got our team penalized in the draft. Running to other teams locker-rooms on multiple occasions, and on and on.

Poor leadership, that was my criticism.

And before we get too awestruck about how "historically great" this defense was... it really wasn't the last few years.

Man, their 3rd down defense sucked.

How many times did we see them giving up 3rd and 10's, 3rd and 15's, even 3rd and 20's or 25's... I mean, what the hell was up with that? It wasn't JUST the offense that caused the TOP issue, it was that the defense just could not freaking stop other teams on third down....

Look at the stats. They were the 2nd worst 3rd down defense in the entire NFL last year, and pretty bad the year before that as well.

Can you imagine if our offense was 2nd worst at something in the entire NFL... the total hate and bitching on these forums would be relentless... but the defense completely sucks at something and suddenly memories get selective.

Yea, the only problem we ever had was "offensive playcalling"....

You act like the defense was just magnificent and giving the offense the ball on the opponents side of the field like it was in the early days, but the fact is this defense wasn't getting turnovers like it did in the early days and that was part of the problem. Our offense used to absolutely feed on those turnovers, and suddenly they weren't there.

From 2011 to 2013 this team was top #1, #2, and #4 in the NFL at taking the ball away... and they went from that to either middle of the pack or lower from 2014 to 2017... I think in 2016 the Seahawks were bottom freaking 5 in causing turnovers, and that's just blatantly unacceptable from a supposed "all time" defense like some people are here touting.

So no turnovers.

And just giving 3rd down conversations to other teams like they were candy canes at Christmas...

Worse, was that it worked in horrible concert with our offense, you had this nightmare, a complete horror show of the defense getting out there and giving up 3rd down after 3rd down and staying on the field forever, then the offense getting out there and going 3 and out...

Quite frankly, I really can't figure out how we won as many games as we did.... it should have been much worse, considering what was going on.

So yea, I watched the games, and saw enough to know that it wasn't just offense like some folks with selective memories are saying...

Very good post, by the way. :2thumbs:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1grysbs8 said:

Nope.

It was leadership.

The defensive leaders on this team, that got the checks, that had the influence, and all the press attention, quite frankly didn't show good leadership. They FAILED at it, time and time again. They had temper tantrums on sidelines, they had fights with the offense and fights with each other, and all out brawls in practice that got our team penalized in the draft. Running to other teams locker-rooms on multiple occasions, and on and on.

Leadership is what I was talking about when I responded to your original post about Ray Lewis. It came across as Ray Lewis being a great leader, but he never went through something as traumatizing as 'The Play'. If he did, who knows how he would have responded to it. It was such a horrible play call, that i'm almost certain Ray would have had some comments to spread around. Thats why I said it was terrible example when Lewis was brought up.

As for not criticizing the defense, everybody understands that last seasons defense had some issues with turnovers and getting off the field, but they still gave the offense opportunities to do something in games and the offense was miserable. Sure there was blame to spread around everywhere, but the defense holds the least amount.

SeaChat

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1kqvxzhp said:
RCATES":1kqvxzhp said:
If you're blaming the defense for this downfall you need to watch more football. Seahawks offense has been god awful doing little to nothing until the 4th quarter. Basically leaving the Defense on the field the whole game. Time of possession was lopsided as all hell.

Well said, and I’ll be one of the first to own that I’ve been guilty of this in the past as well. During my younger workaholic years I wanted to stay connected to the forum, but time was tight, so on occasions I’d jump in on a topic and just say whatever came to mind in response without reading what others had posted, or researching matters a little to make sure I was at least in part not just flying by the seat of my pants in all my substantiating “facts” for my positions.

Like most of us around here, over time I got called on it, on more than one occasion, and was left standing with my pants around my ankles, feeling pretty embarrassed, and more defensive than I had a right to be.

I learned to be humble, take criticisms when I had it coming, and started doing my homework, so that if it came down to it, I could defend my positions, and with that, I gained more credibility with my peers, and I believe, became a more valuable contributor to the forum in general.

I’ve maintained for years that the higher ups follow this forum closely and hold value in our thoughts and opinions. It’s been evidenced repeatedly. Start a thread in here, like for instance the recent one about JS scouting Josh Allen, “ yes I am the culprit who started that one”, and before you know it, it’s all over the NFL talk shows, and RW and his posse are riding into the Emerald City to see if he needs to start cleaning out his locker, LOL.

I never asserted that JS was looking to replace RW, I was only expressing how important our backup QB choice could be if RW went down injured, and argued that Josh Allen would make one really great backup choice, and that “in my opinion would be a good fit for the Seahawks if we were able to land him on our roster.

I return my focus now to this thread. What I was saying in a nutshell, is that our offense, for as much as it has struggled, the past two seasons specifically, that it has steadily improved, and has consistently put up final scores, that historically would have been enough for us to win, had our defense, also been able to deliver the same goods to the game scores, that they had been delivering up and until the last 2 seasons, when the Legion of Boom was still healthy and firing on all 8.

The Legion of Boom suffered a string of injuries, coupled with the loss of key defensive coaching components, that had moved on to better opportunities elsewhere. Leaving us with a head defensive coach, that you couldn’t help but love, and respect, but who also clearly failed to overcome or effectively meet all the challenges that he was faced with.

As a result the Legion of Boom became the Legion of Poof, and they were simply unable to hold the line, deny our opponents their 3rd down converions, field goals, and touchdown scores, or provide us with all the turnovers and extra points on our scoreboard that we had come to expect from them, and have always been the determining factors in our wins.

Russell was still fighting for all he was worth right down to the final second of every game the past two seasons, injured or not, and was consistently putting up points that historically, coupled with the added points we had consistently received from our defense, and that would easily have been more than enough for us to win against everyone of our opponents.

If the Legion of Boom is resurrected this year by the return of Ken Norton and company, and we are finally able to present an effective offense, complete, with a running game at long last, I feel very confident that we will reestablish ourselves as the force to be reconned with in the NFC West, and could find ourselves buying tickets to watch our Seahawks represent in the 2019 Super Bowl.

Nuff Said..., Go Seahawks !

chris98251

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3j9ts2vt said:
The_Z_Man":3j9ts2vt said:

Nope.

It was leadership.

Leadership is what I was talking about when I responded to your original post about Ray Lewis. It came across as Ray Lewis being a great leader, but he never went through something as traumatizing as 'The Play'. If he did, who knows how he would have responded to it. It was such a horrible play call, that i'm almost certain Ray would have had some comments to spread around. Thats why I said it was terrible example when Lewis was brought up.

As for not criticizing the defense, everybody understands that last seasons defense had some issues with turnovers and getting off the field, but they still gave the offense opportunities to do something in games and the offense was miserable. Sure there was blame to spread around everywhere, but the defense holds the least amount.

You saying Ray being Charged with Murder was less traumatizing?

Status
Not open for further replies.