Jamal Adams would welcome a trade

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The highest paid safety right now is making just under 15M, so I assume Adams wants at least that much, if not 15M+.

Which is probably why the Jets are now shopping one of the best safeties in the league in his prime, they don't want to pay him.

We only have 13M of cap space, and we haven't even signed all our rookies yet..............so someone would have to be cut or restructured to fit this size of a contract under our cap.

Unless you guys wanna do another Clowney one year type deal and give up major picks. Jets want at least a 1st, and more.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2yanrr91 said:
The highest paid safety right now is making just under 15M, so I assume Adams wants at least that much, if not 15M+.

Which is probably why the Jets are now shopping one of the best safeties in the league in his prime, they don't want to pay him.

We only have 13M of cap space, and we haven't even signed all our rookies yet..............so someone would have to be cut or restructured to fit this size of a contract under our cap.

Unless you guys wanna do another Clowney one year type deal and give up major picks. Jets want at least a 1st, and more.

It's more of a Quandre Diggs situation, he has 2 years left on his contract.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Safeties typically are undervalued by the NFL vs many other positions. Strong safety even more so.

But our defense almost hinges on great safety play. More than most teams, great safeties are incredibly important to our defense and success.

You only have to look at when Kam held out to see what a difference losing a safety for us makes.

While paying a strong safety well may not be worth it for the spend on many defenses - it absolutely is for us.

It is tremendously worthwhile to get Adams if this team can do so. Yes, he is expensive. But we would be better because of him.

We don't need him. We have the offensive resources to be very good without him. But we have a coach that likes to put the game on the defense, and without a great safety - that decision ends up get us decent records but failing in the playoffs.

With Adams, we might be much more effective in the playoffs than we have been in years.

Largent80

Reaction score
This team has addresed the DL with 2 situational players and 2 rookies so far. We saw the weakness last year and until proven otherwise it's not improved.

At the same time you expended a 2 ND rounder on a safety last year who is expected to become very good. At the same time you have a very decent complimentary safety in McD.

Makes very little sense to add to that pile.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkStrong":30vhx06z said:
Sgt. Largent":30vhx06z said:

It's more of a Quandre Diggs situation, he has 2 years left on his contract.

Correct, but he'd hold out next year if you don't give him a new monster deal. So in essence, you're getting him for a year.

I think the dude's the best safety in football, so I'd have no problem clearing the necessary cap space to sign him to a long term deal. Diggs and Adams would be the best safety tandem in the league.

I just don't want to keep having to give up picks for one year rental players that we don't resign. So if we want him? Then pay the man and let's have the best safety in the game for 4-5 years.

acer1240

Reaction score
Agree Sgt. If it were to get done then get the extension worked out immediately. May as well go all in at that point

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Who was the strong safety that was supposed to be very good?

(Not Blair I hope?)

McDougal is good but also getting older. Not sure I want everything hinging on an older slower player, since safety is pretty close to a linchpin position for our defense.

Largent80

Reaction score
It IS Blair. He's getting playing time this year and the weak hitting secondary the Hawks currently employ need his fire. Remember, Kam redshirted his first year.

What makes you think Blair can't be good and why in the hell would you sink money into a position that's already been addressed over a position that hasn't?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Blair is still not a certainty.

He is an undersized but tremendously hard-hitting safety. Honestly, he reminds me a bit of Bob Sanders in that respect.

The Colts got some good years out of Sanders, so even if Blair gets injured we might get a few years of decent to very good production from him. However, the worry is still that he is a bit of an injury risk. And while he flashed a bit, we didn't see the consistency from him.

Adams would almost be a guy you could pencil in as not only a starter but one of the better players on the team.

With Adams you KNOW you have that hole filled. With Blair you are hoping, but you cannot be sure.

Given the importance of safety play to the success of our defense, it would be ideal not to have to trust to hope.

My greatest concern with Blair is still durability, but even so, he hasn't shown enough for me to be completely confident he can be a difference-maker. Adams has.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":bpakprdh said:
It IS Blair. He's getting playing time this year and the weak hitting secondary the Hawks currently employ need his fire. Remember, Kam redshirted his first year.

What makes you think Blair can't be good and why in the hell would you sink money into a position that's already been addressed over a position that hasn't?

Blair flashed some in the pre-season, but when he finally got on the field during the regular season, not a whole lot jumped out........other than him jumping out of position.

So while he still obviously is raw and has upside, if we have a chance to get a top 10 NFL player in Adams to play a VERY key role in Pete's defense? I'm all in, give up the 1st and pay the man.

Especially this year when there's no time for guys like Blair to develop in camp and pre-season. More than ever if you've got a chance to add this impressive of a player, you do it.

chris98251

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":udm0n0o7 said:
Blair is still not a certainty.

He is an undersized but tremendously hard-hitting safety. Honestly, he reminds me a bit of Bob Sanders in that respect.

The Colts got some good years out of Sanders, so even if Blair gets injured we might get a few years of decent to very good production from him. However, the worry is still that he is a bit of an injury risk. And while he flashed a bit, we didn't see the consistency from him.

Adams would almost be a guy you could pencil in as not only a starter but one of the better players on the team.

With Adams you KNOW you have that hole filled. With Blair you are hoping, but you cannot be sure.

Given the importance of safety play to the success of our defense, it would be ideal not to have to trust to hope.

My greatest concern with Blair is still durability, but even so, he hasn't shown enough for me to be completely confident he can be a difference-maker. Adams has.

I have to agree, it's not ability really though, it's his size at least coming into the league and how he wants to deliver hits that guys 30 pounds heavier do, Sanders in Indy had that issue and after a few seasons the injuries started to happen and more frequently.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
If we don't get a couple monster pass rushers like we had with Avril and Bennett it isn't going to matter who is in the secondary.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":2q8buxbo said:
If we don't get a couple monster pass rushers like we had with Avril and Bennett it isn't going to matter who is in the secondary.

You're right, but a bad pass rush AND mediocre DB play makes for a very bad defense.....as we saw far too often last year.

At least with Adams and hopefully Dunbar we've immediately got one of the top secondaries in the entire league, which can help cover up a bad pass rush until Pete and John fix it. Just as they did when the LOB was formed. Got all those guys drafted and locked up, then you can focus on the D-line exclusively.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Every team wants 'monster pass rushers'.

(Aldon Smith has a job, as a for instance)

The chance of suddenly finding them is low.

It does not change the fact that we have a system that demands great safety play to be effective.

Nor is it likely that any decision on Adams will be relevant to fixing the DL challenges. Anyone that looks good on paper as a pass rusher, is going to come at a premium.

If we get a great safety, we radically improve our chances in the playoffs...even without massive changes to the DL beyond the ones already in place.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":uyf4e8x7 said:
Every team wants 'monster pass rushers'.

(Aldon Smith has a job, as a for instance)

The chance of suddenly finding them is low.

It does not change the fact that we have a system that demands great safety play to be effective.

Nor is it likely that any decision on Adams will be relevant to fixing the DL challenges. Anyone that looks good on paper as a pass rusher, is going to come at a premium.

If we get a great safety, we radically improve our chances in the playoffs...even without massive changes to the DL beyond the ones already in place.

I agree. While Bennett and Avril were great, they also benefited by having the best secondary in the NFL (aka the LOB). Right now, the secondary is nowhere close to that. It has some pieces to build from. Having Adams makes it very much closer to that group - LOB v3.0. That would help the pass rush tremendously. If they can get Clowney, then the defense is upgraded instantaneously.

Teahawks

Reaction score
Great safeties hide a lot of mistakes, for sure. The guy is a beast no question.

I just think we have 2 good ones, and 1 unknown one. The D line has basically all unknowns or average players. I'd spend there.

Safety is just not where I'd spend the limited money they have left. They would have had to think this out when there was 60mil in cap space, not 13.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Doubt ever the Hawks part with what it would take to get him..

Largent80

Reaction score
Once again Kam Chancellor was redshirted his first year. Even Earl Thomas wasn't lighting the world on fire his first year.

With zero to very little pressure up front you could have a "dream team" in the secondary and even a crap QB like Dalton will pick you apart.