Jamal Adams Traded to Seattle!

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
The reason we don't draft well in the first round is because we draft outside the top-20 players, which is because we make the playoffs pretty much every year under Pete Carroll.

And we're not just out of the top 20 in the first round. Every round we draft is like we're drafting down a round.

I'm OK with that, because it's the cost of success.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":32w53zga said:
The reason we don't draft well in the first round is because we draft outside the top-20 players, which is because we make the playoffs pretty much every year under Pete Carroll.

And we're not just out of the top 20 in the first round. Every round we draft is like we're drafting down a round.

I'm OK with that, because it's the cost of success.

True, but more likely and I"ve heard JS mention numerous times.. like after or before the draft, that they have categorized players worthy of being true #1's and once that list is gone, it's a crap shoot so they take, regardless of other reports who they think can fit what they want.. and it usually means trading down since they usually feel they can get them later in the round.

Teahawks

Reaction score
The difference between a divisional round loss and a Superbowl opportunity is stuff like this, going all in. Draft picks are essential, yes, but at some point you have to make moves and live for the now. Accumulating draft picks and playing it conservative just makes you the Jaguars, Jets, Bengals, and Dolphins, always in rebuild mode.

KC traded for Clark as their missing piece. The 2018 Rams, while they failed in the SB, got there by going all in on FA with a QB on a rookie deal. I'd argue they went a bit overboard, but it at least let them shoot the shot.

I'm convinced the offense is top 5. When you know you have a good squad and awesome QB, you go out and find that missing piece to put you over the top.

Grade for me is a B+ and I'm feeling a solid 8 out of 10.

DHawk

Reaction score
This makes the Dunbar situation that much more depressing. Can you imagine what our secondary could be if Dunbar, Adams, and Griffin were all on the field? I feel like we still need some pass rush, but time will tell!

chris98251

Reaction score
With all the stuff going on I doubt we have any court proceedings for some time with Dunbar, he more then likely will be under a microscope but like Kendrick's have many legal things to sort out before any trial is set if it gets to that.

He will be able to play until there is an actual conviction, unless the NFL decides to get involved, but they have bigger issues at the moment as well also.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3g6ojolb said:
Maelstrom787":3g6ojolb said:
pittpnthrs":3g6ojolb said:
Its official, our front office is a disaster. Gave up the world for a player we didnt need while the glaring holes we have still remain. This move will handicap the team for years to come. As for the people defending this move by saying our first rounders never pan out anyways,,,,,,think about what your saying. If that doesnt define ineptitude, I dont know what does.

This is a crap take. The team needed a blue chip talent to remain competitive. Adams will be a leader for years to come and is as versatile of a defender as you can find.

You generally just don't find guys like that outside of the top of the draft. This trade haul is similar to a trade up to the top 10 in the draft... except Adams is a proven blue chip. This is absolutely not as bad as it looks when you consider where the picks would likely be in the draft order.

Its not a crap take. Seriously they havent had a good draft in like 7 years (2015 was mediocre). Our biggest weaknesses are offensive and defensive line and they have done nothing to fix it. Wilson staying healthy has been the luckiest thing in the world. One day our luck is going to run out. Adams will handicap our cap space for years to come. This is yet another luxury take when we cant afford it. This FO is so criminally overatted its sad.

Sorry, but it is totally a crap take. None of the things you have listed are good reasons to pass up on obtaining one of the leagues true blue chip players at 24 years old.

If you look at where the selections they traded away would be, you'd realize that it is a near certainty that those 2 players would not add up to 1 Jamal Adams worth of talent. Yes, Seattle will have to pay him... but not immediately, and you shouldn't be opposed to paying legitimate cornerstones anyway, which Adams is.

Also, saying the team has done nothing to address the lines is wrong. Starting with the obvious - improving pass coverage does a ton to help the defensive line. Adams provides flexibility and prowess in the defensive backfield, which will do wonders for pass coverage and therefore the defense as a whole. Also, the team drafted two guys for juice off the edge, signed Irvin, and will likely sign another guy - hard to say there has been no effort to improve the line.

The offensive line portion is wholly irrelevant to the conversation, but they made some good signings there as well.

This team obviously needed something more to get them back to the big dance. Jamal Adams has a much higher chance of pushing them closer to that goal than 2 late first rounders do.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, getting one of the best players in football.....oh the horror. Proven top tier players > draft picks that likely don't pan out anyway (see recent 1st rd. picks for Seattle)

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":23typ9yp said:
pittpnthrs":23typ9yp said:
Maelstrom787":23typ9yp said:
pittpnthrs":23typ9yp said:
Its official, our front office is a disaster. Gave up the world for a player we didnt need while the glaring holes we have still remain. This move will handicap the team for years to come. As for the people defending this move by saying our first rounders never pan out anyways,,,,,,think about what your saying. If that doesnt define ineptitude, I dont know what does.

This is a crap take. The team needed a blue chip talent to remain competitive. Adams will be a leader for years to come and is as versatile of a defender as you can find.

You generally just don't find guys like that outside of the top of the draft. This trade haul is similar to a trade up to the top 10 in the draft... except Adams is a proven blue chip. This is absolutely not as bad as it looks when you consider where the picks would likely be in the draft order.

Its not a crap take. Seriously they havent had a good draft in like 7 years (2015 was mediocre). Our biggest weaknesses are offensive and defensive line and they have done nothing to fix it. Wilson staying healthy has been the luckiest thing in the world. One day our luck is going to run out. Adams will handicap our cap space for years to come. This is yet another luxury take when we cant afford it. This FO is so criminally overatted its sad.

Sorry, but it is totally a crap take. None of the things you have listed are good reasons to pass up on obtaining one of the leagues true blue chip players at 24 years old.

If you look at where the selections they traded away would be, you'd realize that it is a near certainty that those 2 players would not add up to 1 Jamal Adams worth of talent. Yes, Seattle will have to pay him... but not immediately, and you shouldn't be opposed to paying legitimate cornerstones anyway, which Adams is.

Also, saying the team has done nothing to address the lines is wrong. Starting with the obvious - improving pass coverage does a ton to help the defensive line. Adams provides flexibility and prowess in the defensive backfield, which will do wonders for pass coverage and therefore the defense as a whole. Also, the team drafted two guys for juice off the edge, signed Irvin, and will likely sign another guy - hard to say there has been no effort to improve the line.

The offensive line portion is wholly irrelevant to the conversation, but they made some good signings there as well.

This team obviously needed something more to get them back to the big dance. Jamal Adams has a much higher chance of pushing them closer to that goal than 2 late first rounders do.

The draft picks arent the issue here, its the position of the player taken. Lord knows the FO cant draft anyways as everybody on this board admits when trying to defend this trade. I like your optimism, but I just dont agree with it. I dont believe our secondary was as bad as people perceive. I feel they got screwed due to opposing QB's having practically all day to pass due to,,,,,,wait for it,,,,an awful pass rush. You feel Irvin is going to be a difference maker, I dont. If anything, the Adams trade looks like desperation due to realizing the pass rush is going to suck. Instead of fixing the actual problem, they try to mask the issue with a very expensive band-aid. People keep bringing up Adams sack numbers. Do you honestly believe Nortons going to implement a scheme to take advantage of that? I dont.

The offensive line irrelevant? Its the biggest weakness on the team and has been for years. There is one person on the team that is the sole difference between the team making the playoffs and winning maybe 4 games and nobody seems to care about him. Its baffling. Resources spent on that shiny new safety should have been spent on protecting the one guy that truly matters, but no, lets roll the dice for another season. Why not, they've been lucky so far. Good signings to improve the line? If anything, it looks worse with those signings. Again, I like your optimism.

To get back to the big dance, the team needs to fix the actual problems at hand (offensive and defensive lines) and not improving on areas that were already competent to start with. At the end of the day, Jamal Adams is a safety. A safety. The Jets fleeced us.

TwilightError

Reaction score
It is reasonable to expect that the two ones would have been Late rounders. There are no sure shots there, so its also reasonable to expect we would have gotten two good level squad players. Would you trade that to an absolute superstar who has proven his skills and has two years left in his rookie deal? I know I would.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
One of the best in the league over crap shoot draft picks, every single time.
Did they give up too much? Sure. But oh well. All we hear is people complain that they never add to a crap defense. Well, this team just got a lot better because of this addition. And he's all of 24.

mikeak

Reaction score
So here it is.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status ... 31489?s=09

Adams will play the season that is about to get cancelled ( see MLB who is cancelling two games today after less than a week). Then he has promised nothing. Clearly plans to holdout and complain in the media unless a deal is made.

Seahawks will be forced to overpay as they gave up all the picks.

Love the deal - hate that an extension was not in place, understand why you don't do a blockbuster extension in a pandemic year....

kf3339

Reaction score
Well, this has been an interesting thread since the trade. A lot of opinions on both sides of the fence.

I for one have already stated that it was a very important add. Face it our FO has no clue how to draft well. There misses in the first and even high second round for 6 years has put us in this type of position. We have no real All-Pro caliber players drafted in this six years. In addition, almost no real pro bowl players as well. When you swing that many times a the draft board and come up missing it's clear you suck at draft player evaluation.

Our lines are a mess. I don't think there is anyone who disagrees with that statement. No one player that this team could trade for will change that dynamic on either side of the line. Other teams aren't giving away their high quality line players to us. Most aren't even willing to trade them. So thinking we could make a major move to fix either line with All Pro or even Pro Bowl caliber players is just not realistic.

So what is our next best option. Find a player that is a young, All Pro talent that can transform a competent area into a dominant group. That is what Adams does for this team. The difference between McDougald and Adams is stunning. The ability to put Adams in different positions on our defense is something we haven't had in a long time. Opposing offenses will have to revamp their strategy with him on the field. Our other D players will feed off him. That is what our defense needs. And we have the financial resources to still help find Line talent before the start of the season. We can also still make trades.

It's clear this is an all in strategy for PC to get this team back to a Super Bowl before he retires. If we get another SB win then it is more than worth it to me. Just saying. :2thumbs:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kf3339":12sa75v7 said:
Well, this has been an interesting thread since the trade. A lot of opinions on both sides of the fence.

I for one have already stated that it was a very important add. Face it our FO has no clue how to draft well. There misses in the first and even high second round for 6 years has put us in this type of position. We have no real All-Pro caliber players drafted in this six years. In addition, almost no real pro bowl players as well. When you swing that many times a the draft board and come up missing it's clear you suck at draft player evaluation.

Our lines are a mess. I don't think there is anyone who disagrees with that statement. No one player that this team could trade for will change that dynamic on either side of the line. Other teams aren't giving away their high quality line players to us. Most aren't even willing to trade them. So thinking we could make a major move to fix either line with All Pro or even Pro Bowl caliber players is just not realistic.

So what is our next best option. Find a player that is a young, All Pro talent that can transform a competent area into a dominant group. That is what Adams does for this team. The difference between McDougald and Adams is stunning. The ability to put Adams in different positions on our defense is something we haven't had in a long time. Opposing offenses will have to revamp their strategy with him on the field. Our other D players will feed off him. That is what our defense needs. And we have the financial resources to still help find Line talent before the start of the season. We can also still make trades.

It's clear this is an all in strategy for PC to get this team back to a Super Bowl before he retires. If we get another SB win then it is more than worth it to me. Just saying. :2thumbs:

You've nailed why we continue to keep giving up draft capital to go out and get All Pro free agents.

- Adams
- Clowney
- Brown

Three in the past three years with what, 7-8 draft picks given up?

While I love getting elite free agents, it's not a sustainable way to build a SB contender. It's a short term fix for a long term problem. In this case the long term problem is just what you said, the inability to draft elite game changing talent.

For every DK Metcalf, there's been too many Lano Hills, Ifedi's, Colliers, McDowells and Tedrick Thompsons.

I've always loved Pete and John's go for broke style of wheeling and dealing, so I'm fine with the trade. But make no mistake, these are becoming more and more signs of desperation due to poor drafts then the wheeling and dealing to find that one final missing piece like they used to do.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It is no surprise we have not been able to make our #1s into star players. You get better at the things you strive for. As an organization, you move people and resources toward the goals set. This team has not made making #1s into great players a priority for some time.

Generally, we would prefer 3 players with a 30% chance of being a star - to one player with an 80% chance of being a starter. That has been our philosophy for some time. Draft for upside. To do this, you give yourselves as many spins of the wheel as possible. But it is very different from drafting players to reliably be starters.

It was costly, but not as costly to us as other teams - because we do not depend on our #1s working out. We just need good players from the aggregate pool of draft picks. And we generally manage to do this.

(BTW, how much of missed opportunity was it not to get Minkah Fitzpatrick? We came one goal line opportunity away from getting home field advantage from the 49ers, who eventually went to the SB. While Minkah isn't Adams, he can play strong and free safety. We now have Adams, but we could have filled this hole for much cheaper last year.)

On the these these 'big player moves', they rarely work for us. Whether Harvin, Graham, Sheldon Richardson, or the like - we tend to rarely get the results we coveted. And we lose people we needed. Duane Brown stands out as a possible exception.

Also we overpay on trades and tend not to keep people we overpay for. Clowney is a potential example. We trade for people we hope to resign but then don't. I am worried we might face a Clowneyish situation w/ Adams in a year or two.

But...

Carroll is likely only here for 3 more years, less perhaps, most optimistic projection I've seen is 5 years. We have to win now. There is little chance we will get a better coach when he steps down. Likely much worse. We have to win more now.

Our defense depends on safety play. And Adams can play FS, SS, and LB. We should be much better on defense vs both run & pass.

We almost had to make this move.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
mikeak":wdp2o00w said:
So here it is.

Adams will play the season that is about to get cancelled ( see MLB who is cancelling two games today after less than a week). Then he has promised nothing. Clearly plans to holdout and complain in the media unless a deal is made.

Love the deal - hate that an extension was not in place, understand why you don't do a blockbuster extension in a pandemic year....

Pretty much this. Adams is going to demand somewhere in the $18 million per year range and what choice will the organization have? Giving up that much for a player, they'll have to pay him. In a few years, be ready to welcome in a decade or so of mediocrity because its coming due to moves like this.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2v2q6ph6 said:
mikeak":2v2q6ph6 said:
So here it is.

Pretty much this. Adams is going to demand somewhere in the $18 million per year range and what choice will the organization have? Giving up that much for a player, they'll have to pay him. In a few years, be ready to welcome in a decade or so of mediocrity because its coming due to moves like this.

I highly doubt John and Pete gave up the draft capital they gave up without knowing what Adam's and his agent want for an extension.

This has been going on for months, so we don't make this trade if we're unsure Adam's will sign a long term deal. Might take a while because it's a monster extension. But it'll happen.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":d9m5p658 said:
Maelstrom787":d9m5p658 said:
pittpnthrs":d9m5p658 said:
Maelstrom787":d9m5p658 said:

The draft picks arent the issue here, its the position of the player taken. Lord knows the FO cant draft anyways as everybody on this board admits when trying to defend this trade. I like your optimism, but I just dont agree with it. I dont believe our secondary was as bad as people perceive. I feel they got screwed due to opposing QB's having practically all day to pass due to,,,,,,wait for it,,,,an awful pass rush. You feel Irvin is going to be a difference maker, I dont. If anything, the Adams trade looks like desperation due to realizing the pass rush is going to suck. Instead of fixing the actual problem, they try to mask the issue with a very expensive band-aid. People keep bringing up Adams sack numbers. Do you honestly believe Nortons going to implement a scheme to take advantage of that? I dont.

The offensive line irrelevant? Its the biggest weakness on the team and has been for years. There is one person on the team that is the sole difference between the team making the playoffs and winning maybe 4 games and nobody seems to care about him. Its baffling. Resources spent on that shiny new safety should have been spent on protecting the one guy that truly matters, but no, lets roll the dice for another season. Why not, they've been lucky so far. Good signings to improve the line? If anything, it looks worse with those signings. Again, I like your optimism.

To get back to the big dance, the team needs to fix the actual problems at hand (offensive and defensive lines) and not improving on areas that were already competent to start with. At the end of the day, Jamal Adams is a safety. A safety. The Jets fleeced us.

The offensive line is irrelevant to discussion about Adams is what I was saying. Also, I am not bringing up Adams sack numbers, so I'm not sure if that's a rebuttal to anything I've said.

Theoretically, there is more than 1 way to improve your pass rush - one of which is giving them more time to get to the quarterback. I'd like to think that an Adams acquisition allows Seattle to have their corners press more and back off less, which may very well increase their performance pressure-wise. Also, again, they've added rotational guys and drafted two promising edge rushers... hard to say that nothing is being done about the defensive line. We'll see how the rotational guys who are familiar with the scheme perform, and we'll see how the new guys develop.

It's obvious that the identity of a Carroll team flows through the secondary. Having an elite secondary is worth two late firsts. It just is. Jamal Adams could very easily be a future Hall of Famer, and we got him at 24 years old for less draft capital than his original draft slot. I am flabbergasted that people are finding a way to be upset about this. A team is always going to have holes here and there, and folks get angry over any acquisition or trade because it doesn't fix every hole at once. Here's a theory - filling holes like you would with a roster breakdown sheet on Madden doesn't work, what does work is getting blue chip cornerstones on your roster that you can build around for years to come. Jamal Adams is bold, has swag, is versatile, makes plays, and has the rare it factor. You'd be hard pressed to find that at pick 27 any year.

Sorry, but rare talent is rare talent. Adams fits the identity of the team, and that counts for something. What counts for even more is that he is a bona fide superstar, and he's worth more than Seattle gave up.