It's time to sit Jermaine Kearse

chris98251

Reaction score
austinslater25":3d7rnodi said:
CodeWarrior":3d7rnodi said:
Wilson likes throwing to Kearse. It's evident. As long as your franchise QB likes throwing to a certain player that player will remain on the team given he's not in line for huge contract, which Kearse obviously isn't.

4 million for your #3 WR at best is a huge contract imo. I seriously doubt they keep him around at that price next year. Even if you're his biggest fan you can't really defend that much money when we have holes for the production that comes with it.

4 million is cheap by NFL standards.

How much are we paying Graham 10 million? How many catches does he have compared to Kearse?

Ozzy

Reaction score
Not for that production and as possibly your 4th best option in the passing game.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
austinslater25":rdocqq9k said:
Not for that production and as possibly your 4th best option in the passing game.

I get what you're saying but I think Kearse's presence must be considered in excess of pure numbers. Russell goes to him in the big moments. I have no data to back this up yet but I believe the frequency with which Kearse is targeted goes up as Seattle gets closer to the end zone. Russell is comfortable with him and throws to him as such. Though his numbers may not warrant his salary I doubt he goes anywhere.

Fade

Reaction score
Kearse will be on the roster next year at $4M. The team will only save 367K if they cut him.

I would love to see the team play McEvoy & P Rich more. Both McEvoy & P Rich have played well in limited opportunities. I want to see what it would look like if they got more reps. For me it's not about Kearse, but the others.

chris98251

Reaction score
austinslater25":11tkm9kf said:

So you can't justify him against the performance of Graham and his numbers and what Kearse does to help the running game and passing game when he doesn't get the ball then.

razor150

Reaction score
It is hard to deny that Kearse has made some of the biggest, if not the biggest, plays in Seahawk's history. However, you also have to wonder if we had a more consistent receiver on the edge we would need those last minute heroics. Especially when you talk about games like the playoff game against Green Bay where his inconsistency created turnovers that created the hole we had to dig ourselves out of, and the big play he made to help win the game.

Plus we have much more consistent big play threat in a guy like Graham, and even with Baldwin and Locket. Richardson might even be that if he gets more snaps.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":26uj6f3j said:
austinslater25":26uj6f3j said:

So you can't justify him against the performance of Graham and his numbers and what Kearse does to help the running game and passing game when he doesn't get the ball then.

As we saw Sunday night, even Graham not catching balls opens up everyone else because he's so dangerous and teams bracket him constantly.

Kearse doesn't strike fear into the hearts of anyone, which is fine btw. But as many great catches as he's made here in Seattle, IMO we can do better at the position. Should be more of a big body flanker type out wide to block and go up and make plays downfield.

Kearse's problem is he's always been a tweener. Fast, but not really fast. Tall enough, but not really advantage tall. Good blocker, but not great.

cheese22

Reaction score
HawkerD":137p1jo7 said:
Opinions can't be wrong but they can certainly be stupid. All these couch coaches coming up with cockamamie lineups are the same people who praise PC. If he thought any of these ideas were good one he'd be acting on them without your help.

Richardsosn has made a handful of catches in between year long stints on IR but he should replace a guy that has made some of the biggest catches in franchise history. Vannett hasn't done crap yet. Just because something pops into your head doesn't mean you need to post it

Wow. Disagreeing is one thing, but you don't have to be an ass about it. I like edge blocking but I'd rather have a receiver who was a threat to receive the ball. I think there are plenty of fans who would agree with him. Kearse can disappear for long stretches. I'd rather see someone who catches the ball more often than not over a blocking wr who drops a lot of passes. Richardson and Lockett are pretty big threats to be sitting behind a guy who only makes a big catch a few times a year.

raisethe3

Reaction score
I'm all in for having a different #2 receiver. Paul Richardson would be my vote. I would love Tyler Lockett to start, but he's already handling the kickoff and punting duties already. That's asking too much, imo. Richardson should start if they want to throw it more. If they do plan on running it, then have Kearse in there.

thebanjodude

Reaction score
I guess I, like Cheese, am in the minority of people who think that it's more important that a receiver be able to get open and catch the ball than pancake a cornerback. I also think that a lineman's blocking ability is more important than their 40 time. Crazy, I know.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3b0xi1zp said:
chris98251":3b0xi1zp said:
austinslater25":3b0xi1zp said:

As we saw Sunday night, even Graham not catching balls opens up everyone else because he's so dangerous and teams bracket him constantly.

Kearse doesn't strike fear into the hearts of anyone, which is fine btw. But as many great catches as he's made here in Seattle, IMO we can do better at the position. Should be more of a big body flanker type out wide to block and go up and make plays downfield.

Kearse's problem is he's always been a tweener. Fast, but not really fast. Tall enough, but not really advantage tall. Good blocker, but not great.

Good stuff Sarge.

chris98251

Reaction score
austinslater25":2kgf6wc8 said:
Sgt. Largent":2kgf6wc8 said:
chris98251":2kgf6wc8 said:
austinslater25":2kgf6wc8 said:

Good stuff Sarge.

Well I guess we can have our Small WR's lay out those 220 plus pound SS and FS and LB's and spend most the season on IR as long as they can put up a catch or two for over 30 yds once every other game or so the fantasy stats look good for them.

Largent80

Reaction score
I just rewatched the game and focused on Kearse. 3 of the passes thrown to him were high, one was underthrown, the one at the goal line was overthrown to the wrong shoulder. People are ragging on him for this, if you don't believe it, then re-watch it like I did.

Ozzy

Reaction score
.[/quote]

Well I guess we can have our Small WR's lay out those 220 plus pound SS and FS and LB's and spend most the season on IR as long as they can put up a catch or two for over 30 yds once every other game or so the fantasy stats look good for them.[/quote]

Like Tanner M? He's bigger than Kearse and WR's are rarely asked to take on 220 lb SS let alone FS's. If you want to pay 4 million for a guy who struggles with drops and takes on a SS maybe once a game then you're entitled to your opinion. I think a combination of Richardson and Tanner M have more upside for much less money and we can utilize that money elsewhere. I'm entitled to that opinion as well.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Largent80":oommxywt said:
I just rewatched the game and focused on Kearse. 3 of the passes thrown to him were high, one was underthrown, the one at the goal line was overthrown to the wrong shoulder. People are ragging on him for this, if you don't believe it, then re-watch it like I did.

I re-watched those plays as well and not every throw was perfect but most were catchable by NFL standards. Agree to disagree! :p

Uncle Si

Reaction score
austinslater25":135f9tcm said:
Largent80":135f9tcm said:

I re-watched those plays as well and not every throw was perfect but most were catchable by NFL standards. Agree to disagree! :p

I don't know about the others... but the goalline throw should have been caught.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":3k4yfayf said:

Ask any WR or coach, if it hits you in the hands, you gotta catch it.

He had the one on the goal line, he tried to stretch out to score a TD with it, and couldn't hold on.

Sorry, but 26 catches in 9 games with no TD's for 13.5M contract is not good enough for me. We can do better.

edogg23

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":to016jgo said:
Largent80":to016jgo said:

Ask any WR or coach, if it hits you in the hands, you gotta catch it.

He had the one on the goal line, he tried to stretch out to score a TD with it, and couldn't hold on.

Sorry, but 26 catches in 9 games with no TD's for 13.5M contract is not good enough for me. We can do better.
Honestly, I can't even recall him coming down with a single deep ball this year. It seems like it always gets defended or through his hands and he immediately looks to the refs for a flag.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I rewatched the game last night, and you all are crazy. Russell was off several times throwing to Kearse. The one bad play on Jermaine's part was at the goal line when he tried to extend for a TD instead of taking the first down.

The deep throw down the right sideline, Russell underthrew it and Jermaine reached back to make sure the DB didn't intercept it. He's done this several times before.

Another short pass about 10 yards on the left side, Russell threw it too far out in front of Kearse, he barely got his hands on it while stretching out.

Russell also missed several throws to the left, throwing it out of the reach of "No E" and IIRC, Paul Richardson.

Jermaine is also a good blocker and a big body out there that has made some clutch catches for this team.

This board this week is so weird, we beat the Patriots, in their house, with New England coming off a bye, on a short week, traveling across the country, and all anybody can do is complain about Jermaine Kearse and Alex Collins.

That's just crazy.