It's time to sit Jermaine Kearse

thebanjodude

Reaction score
HawkerD":2hqodwkr said:
Opinions can't be wrong but they can certainly be stupid. All these couch coaches coming up with cockamamie lineups are the same people who praise PC. If he thought any of these ideas were good one he'd be acting on them without your help.

Richardsosn has made a handful of catches in between year long stints on IR but he should replace a guy that has made some of the biggest catches in franchise history. Vannett hasn't done crap yet. Just because something pops into your head doesn't mean you need to post it

Bad take. Remember when Trufant was the slot corner in 2012? He was HORRIBLE, everyone knew it but Pete kept playing him anyways despite time clearly having passed him by. Pete was pretty on board with the Harvin trade - does that make the ones who opposed it stupid?

Pete is a genius and the best head coach Seattle has ever had. That doesn't mean he can't make mistakes. Opinions that Pete is doing something wrong aren't automatically stupid.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
King Dog":f1vtkihg said:
HawkerD":f1vtkihg said:
Opinions can't be wrong but they can certainly be stupid. All these couch coaches coming up with cockamamie lineups are the same people who praise PC. If he thought any of these ideas were good one he'd be acting on them without your help.

Richardsosn has made a handful of catches in between year long stints on IR but he should replace a guy that has made some of the biggest catches in franchise history. Vannett hasn't done crap yet. Just because something pops into your head doesn't mean you need to post it
RAWR

How long you been keeping that acronym in your pocket

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
seahawkfreak":hmn3vydw said:
How long you been keeping that acronym in your pocket

I am thinking you are a troll bro. Every time I see a post from you it seems to be attacking a fellow member - aka Seahawks fan - on this board and I wonder why that is. Maybe I have it all wrong and you are simply misunderstood.

Care to expand on that perception?

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Kearse sets the pick. He's a master of it and very rarely gets flagged for it. They guy who sets the pick doesn't catch the ball, but he makes the completion and YAC possible.

It's to his credit that he's happy with that sort of role, because it doesn't show up in his stat sheets. Him on the field makes Baldwin and Lockett more effective. Just ask Baldwin - a man not afraid to tell the truth in any situation.

Rob12

Reaction score
HawkerD":3j8uip3v said:

And /thread.

Look, I like Paul Richardson, too. I've even called for him getting more snaps at Kearse's expense. But wrong or right, RW loves throwing the ball to Kearse. He's had some inexcusable drops but he's also made some of the biggest plays in this organization's history. He's not going anywhere. He's a huge part of this offense whether we like it or not. Looking throughout the league, I'm guessing there are a lot of teams that would love a receiver like Kearse. He's not perfect and never will be. But he's a hometown kid who has made good. I think he has more big catches in his future and I can't wait to see them.

Rob12

Reaction score
Aros":c4e6tlnn said:
Kearse just doesn't do it for me. Yes, yes, he has been a HUGE part of our success in terms of his big play ability over the past few years and we cannot take that from him or deny that fact. The problem is, he's simply not reliable. He's not Baldwin who is clutch, clutch, clutch.

I am still scratching my head over why the Seahawks insisted on going to Kearse THAT often last night. Made no sense to me. I am quite sure Russ could have found other options. It seemed contrived and forced to me.

Kearse is a bit better than a JAG due to his big play capabilities, but frankly I am tired of his sub-par performances that heavily outweigh his super star performances.

You take Kearse away from this team and the Hawks don't have the success they have enjoyed over the past four seasons. I am by no means a big Kearse fan but let's at least be real here. He has come up huge more times than not.

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":20scdkj8 said:
Kearse has a huge role in this offense. Not everything has to be about catches. His downfield blocking is off the hook. Much needed part of the game..

Agreed! He had a frustrating case of droppies at New England, but heck - he has made some big plays in other games. I also believe blocking by WRs is often undervalued - I recall Jerry Rice was extremely rigorous in achieving consistent excellence in his blocking assignments.

AusSeahawk

Reaction score
I like Kearse, he's made some huge plays in years gone by but part of me wants to see more McEvoy, Rich and Lockett.

any chance he could be cut due to salary at the end of the season?

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Many of Jermaine's "drops" are actually mis-timings between him and Russ. For whatever reason, those two aren't locked in the way Doug and Russ are. But as far as official "drops" here are the stats:

2016: 1 drop, 45 targets, 57.8% caught
2015: 1 drop, 68 targets, 72.1% caught
2014: 2 drops, 69 targets, 55.1% caught
2013: 2 drops, 38 targets, 57.9% caught
2012: 3 drops, 7 targets, 42.9% caught

Career Totals:
9 drops
227 targets
3.96% drop rate
60.8% caught

Ozzy

Reaction score
Everyone says Kearse is an amazing edge blocker but I'm not sure I agree. I've seen numerous plays were he looks like he's putting in half effort and doesn't hold the block long enough. I'm sure he's more capable but at times he seems to be asleep out there. I know he can and does do very well at times but he also looks like he takes some plays off. Lockett and even Richardson seem to be high effort players and do decently despite their size. Regardless the running game doesn't get to that level enough that it matters as much as people think.

I'm all for Richardson, McCevoy etc getting way more snaps going forward. Not really sure how they don't if its all about competition. Kearse has made some amazing catches over the years but he's also made more drops in crucial moments then the rest combined. His 4 million dollar salary is ridiculous for next year. I would be shocked if they bring him back.

I don't hate Kearse and as a Husky fan I always root for him, I just think the other guys warrant more time. That doesn't make me or anyone else who holds that view lesser of a fan.

edogg23

Reaction score
I see A lot of responses saying PRich is not as good of a blocker, which is probably true, but it seems like on 80% of run plays the coner is more than happy to just stand there with the receiver off to the side pretending to want to battle free.
Also what about getting McEvoy on the field more. All he does is make big plays every time I see him make it out there.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
No reason to sit him.

I expected Graham and Lockett to eat into his targets. He's Carroll's kind of player. He is basically signed through 2017 with his current contract. So no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I can't point to Kearse as being the player holding this offense back. So no I'm not in favor of sitting him.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I like both Laloosh and Codewarrior's posts.

I'd love to see more 2 TE sets. Graham is actually blocking really well lately, and it would help in the run game, plus you have the run/pass option. It's so tough to stop.

Conversely, Kearse blocks really well on the outside, for both screens and outside runs. Notice how our screens have been having a lot higher success rate lately ? Now imagine Richardson blocking for Lockett, or Lockett blocking for Baldwin. Not as effective.

The person that is going to take Kearse's job is going to be McEvoy. Once he gets better chemistry with Wilson, he's going to be a monster. He's a great blocker, weighs 230 lbs, and will win jump balls that Wilson loves to throw to Kearse that Jermaine could never win.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sit Kearse?

No, but definitely start installing some more series and plays for Richardson and McEvoy. Problem is Kearse knows the blocking schemes better than either of these two.......even though he whiffs too often for my taste.

IMO this is the ONLY reason Kearse has lasted this long being on the Hawks, Pete likes his WR's to block, and we haven't found a replacement that can handle the run blocking schemes.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Wilson likes throwing to Kearse. It's evident. As long as your franchise QB likes throwing to a certain player that player will remain on the team given he's not in line for huge contract, which Kearse obviously isn't.

Mojambo

Reaction score
I'm fine with the current rotation, but I suspect that if Richardson continues to stay healthy he'll slowly eat into Kearse's reps.

Kearse isn't going anywhere though. He's very well loved in that locker room for good reason.

Ozzy

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":1t63tb9d said:
Wilson likes throwing to Kearse. It's evident. As long as your franchise QB likes throwing to a certain player that player will remain on the team given he's not in line for huge contract, which Kearse obviously isn't.

4 million for your #3 WR at best is a huge contract imo. I seriously doubt they keep him around at that price next year. Even if you're his biggest fan you can't really defend that much money when we have holes for the production that comes with it.