Is Russell Wilson worth extending?

byau

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1u0tcrch said:
Jacknut16":1u0tcrch said:
Well Ive been around since game 1, way back in the 70's.

I don't want to replace Wilson, I just want people to understand that he is not an Elite QB, I think in the 10-12 QB range right now.

Which is fine, but there are also other things to be concerned about, such as when his legs lose a step I believe he will be a 20-25 ranked QB.
Not to mention as to what happens when Lynch is gone. How wil lhe fare when he is the number one option on the team?
From what I have seen at times, its not going to be great numbers from Wilson.

All fair criticisms.

Definitely fair criticisms. Debating whether Russell is elite or not is a whole 'nother topic, especially in the Andrew Luck vs Russell Wilson debates. I'm on the side that Russell is a great quarterback, not an elite quarterback.

Sgt. Largent":1u0tcrch said:
But the question is do we extend Wilson.........and if your answer is no, then what's the alternative?

Exactly. Without looking I feel he is definitely top 10. Besides his skills and mindset, remember he also has had a Super Bowl winning season. Experience counts. A mind expanded can never be contracted.

That is rare, and you don't to let that go. He is a QB I would feel comfortable hitching a team to.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Russell is worth extending. Who out there would replace him if they don't....some like Orton or Fitzpatrick. That's called downgrading the position and a team should always look to upgrade not go the other way.

As for elite QBs, most agree that the top 4 are Manning, Brady, Rodgers, and Brees. After those it's debatable of who else may be considered elite - the names would be Roethlisberger, Luck, Stafford, etc. If you consider those QBs as elite, then Wilson would have to be in the argument as well. He has surpassed each of those guys. He's been in the league 2 1/2 years and already has a SB ring. It's faster than any one of those guys. His numbers aren't eye-popping. He just knows how to win. That's what makes him elite, IMO. He's not the best regular season QB but in the playoffs, he's shown to be the best by far with what he's done. In the end, it's the wins that count. He's won more than Luck, Stafford, Big Ben, etc in the past 2 1/2 years.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
byau":2p4itdcp said:
Sgt. Largent":2p4itdcp said:
Jacknut16":2p4itdcp said:
Well Ive been around since game 1, way back in the 70's.

I don't want to replace Wilson, I just want people to understand that he is not an Elite QB, I think in the 10-12 QB range right now.

Which is fine, but there are also other things to be concerned about, such as when his legs lose a step I believe he will be a 20-25 ranked QB.
Not to mention as to what happens when Lynch is gone. How wil lhe fare when he is the number one option on the team?
From what I have seen at times, its not going to be great numbers from Wilson.

All fair criticisms.

Definitely fair criticisms. Debating whether Russell is elite or not is a whole 'nother topic, especially in the Andrew Luck vs Russell Wilson debates. I'm on the side that Russell is a great quarterback, not an elite quarterback.

Sgt. Largent":2p4itdcp said:
But the question is do we extend Wilson.........and if your answer is no, then what's the alternative?

Exactly. Without looking I feel he is definitely top 10. Besides his skills and mindset, remember he also has had a Super Bowl winning season. Experience counts. A mind expanded can never be contracted.

That is rare, and you don't to let that go. He is a QB I would feel comfortable hitching a team to.

Agreed, we are definitely extending him as we should.

lobohawk

Reaction score
For comparison, here are the top 15 contracts out there. Wold list the guaranteed amount, as it varies a lot but I suck at forum lists. Timing of contracts is obviously important, as older ones generally don't compare to more recent ones. Thus Kap's is a useful comparison. He has the lowest guaranteed at 11.4%, which is 20-30% less than most of the others.

http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

Avg./Year
Aaron Rodgers $22,000,000
Matt Ryan $20,750,000
Joe Flacco $20,100,000
Drew Brees $20,000,000
Peyton Manning $19,200,000
Colin Kaepernick $19,000,000 (total: $114,000,000 )
Jay Cutler $18,100,000
Tony Romo $18,000,000
Alex Smith $17,000,000
Eli Manning $16,250,000
Andy Dalton $16,000,000
Philip Rivers $15,300,000
Ben Roethlisberger $14,664,417
Sam Bradford $13,000,000
Tom Brady $11,400,000

Anthony!

Reaction score
Rw will get between 18-20 a year, it will not be like Kaps at all. That is presuming he wants to stay here, which might not be as much of a lock as you think.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":3h5txc9t said:
Rw will get between 18-20 a year, it will not be like Kaps at all. That is presuming he wants to stay here, which might not be as much of a lock as you think.

Are you hinting that RW is going to leave? LOL!

Of course the 'Hawks will re-sign him...if not, they'll franchise him.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":w7itq2kf said:
If he doesn't want to stay theres 2-3 high draft picks right there...They won't be stupid and let him just walk or franchise him..I don't want him here if he plays the walk card..I say you extend him with a Kap like contract but a little more since he did win a super bowl ..He is not worth a hard hitting cap contract..Don't want to watch a weak team with a good qb that won't get back to the Super Bowl because we can't pay for enough talent..

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Anthony!":2h4gcc5i said:

It's the lock of the century.

I know our judgement gets clouded because we all spend time here reading utter lunacy...........but Pete, John and Paul Allen love Russell probably more than their own children. No way in hell they let him go anywhere.

He's going to be locked up for at least 6 years, maybe longer.

kearly

Reaction score
Like the Mannings, RW wants to own his own NFL team. Doing so will require A LOT of money. He won't be looking for discounts come contract time, and I wouldn't be shocked at all if he insisted on a shorter deal to hit his next payday sooner (so as to take full advantage of NFL salary inflation).

And I won't hold it against him one bit.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
kearly":3cy9878i said:
Like the Mannings, RW wants to own his own NFL team. Doing so will require A LOT of money. He won't be looking for discounts come contract time, and I wouldn't be shocked at all if he insisted on a shorter deal to hit his next payday sooner (so as to take full advantage of NFL salary inflation).

You do all realize that the Russell Wilson brand depends on being on a successful team. They estimate that his 2014 earnings off the field already is at $7 million, which is top 5 in the NFL and growing.

Russell is probably smart enough to realize that taking $18 million vs. $25 million, sure he's making $7 million more on one contract but that also completely hampers the team's ability to improve in other areas. He takes a bit less, and if he's on a competitive team, he's in the public eye, and it boosts his endorsement deals too which have always generated higher cash flow for professional athletes.

Russell is a fan favorite among non-Seahawk fans. In fact behind Manning he's really the most popular player in the NFL among non-Seahawk fans I would argue, which is MASSIVE for endorsements.

Wilson is the caliber of athlete who can generate his own brand and thus makes him less dependent on a massive NFL QB deal. Of course he'll get his pay day, but he's not going to max out the Seahawks. Guys like Flacco or Alex Smith or Carson Palmer are just not of the potential brand value that Russell Wilson is, plain and simple.

byau

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":3kbvfi3h said:
kearly":3kbvfi3h said:

You do all realize that the Russell Wilson brand depends on being on a successful team. They estimate that his 2014 earnings off the field already is at $7 million, which is top 5 in the NFL and growing.

Russell is probably smart enough to realize that taking $18 million vs. $25 million, sure he's making $7 million more on one contract but that also completely hampers the team's ability to improve in other areas. He takes a bit less, and if he's on a competitive team, he's in the public eye, and it boosts his endorsement deals too which have always generated higher cash flow for professional athletes.

Russell is a fan favorite among non-Seahawk fans. In fact behind Manning he's really the most popular player in the NFL among non-Seahawk fans I would argue, which is MASSIVE for endorsements.

Wilson is the caliber of athlete who can generate his own brand and thus makes him less dependent on a massive NFL QB deal. Of course he'll get his pay day, but he's not going to max out the Seahawks. Guys like Flacco or Alex Smith or Carson Palmer are just not of the potential brand value that Russell Wilson is, plain and simple.

He is also in a very comfortable position to build his brand. Good team. He's definitely well respected by non-Seahawks fans and even non-Seahawks players. You watch a game, quite a few times after getting hit/sacked the opposing player will help him up. He has a great relationship with coach and FO.

Brand will definitely be a criteria, and something to be said about a Jeter-like career with one team that he is in a very good position with.

Tical21

Reaction score
lobohawk":kd130gha said:
For comparison, here are the top 15 contracts out there. Wold list the guaranteed amount, as it varies a lot but I suck at forum lists. Timing of contracts is obviously important, as older ones generally don't compare to more recent ones. Thus Kap's is a useful comparison. He has the lowest guaranteed at 11.4%, which is 20-30% less than most of the others.

Avg./Year
Matt Ryan $20,750,000
Joe Flacco $20,100,000
Drew Brees $20,000,000
Jay Cutler $18,100,000
Tony Romo $18,000,000
Alex Smith $17,000,000
Eli Manning $16,250,000
Andy Dalton $16,000,000
Sam Bradford $13,000,000
Tom Brady $11,400,000
And all but two or three of those are complete franchise killers and the team would take them back in a second if given the chance. Just because everybody else is paying their QB big money does not mean it is a good idea to do so. I'd rather roll the dice that Schneider can find another half-mil running QB in the next couple of years.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Interesting a top 3 QB in the NFL according to that salary chart-Tom Brady $11,400,000..Wow and look at how strong his team looks every year..He has more rings than anyone so by some peoples thinking -shouldn't he be making $30 million?

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Tical21":17t6x34d said:
lobohawk":17t6x34d said:

Avg./Year
Matt Ryan $20,750,000
Joe Flacco $20,100,000
Drew Brees $20,000,000
Jay Cutler $18,100,000
Tony Romo $18,000,000
Alex Smith $17,000,000
Eli Manning $16,250,000
Andy Dalton $16,000,000
Sam Bradford $13,000,000
Tom Brady $11,400,000
And all but two or three of those are complete franchise killers and the team would take them back in a second if given the chance. Just because everybody else is paying their QB big money does not mean it is a good idea to do so. I'd rather roll the dice that Schneider can find another half-mil running QB in the next couple of years.
Complete BS. How is the Romo, Rodgers, Flacco, P. Manning, Kap, Smith, Dalton, Rivers, Rapistberger, or Brady contracts been "franchise" killers.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Tical21":3jcz48lg said:
lobohawk":3jcz48lg said:

Avg./Year
Matt Ryan $20,750,000
Joe Flacco $20,100,000
Drew Brees $20,000,000
Jay Cutler $18,100,000
Tony Romo $18,000,000
Alex Smith $17,000,000
Eli Manning $16,250,000
Andy Dalton $16,000,000
Sam Bradford $13,000,000
Tom Brady $11,400,000
Thank God we fired the GM that holds your silly opinion. Hey, everyone knows multi-dimensonal quarterbacks come out yearly just ask Carolina, Buffalo, NYJ, Minnesota to name a few.

Anthony!

Reaction score
LymonHawk":g3bjb5se said:
Anthony!":g3bjb5se said:

Are you hinting that RW is going to leave? LOL!

Of course the 'Hawks will re-sign him...if not, they'll franchise him.

Russell wants to be the best QB there is, and you can not do that in an offense with an oline that does not pass block well, no real #1 wr, and in a run first offense. So there is a chance we really do not know what he is thinking.

Anthony!

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3s1jyjrq said:
Anthony!":3s1jyjrq said:
If he doesn't want to stay theres 2-3 high draft picks right there...They won't be stupid and let him just walk or franchise him..I don't want him here if he plays the walk card..I say you extend him with a Kap like contract but a little more since he did win a super bowl ..He is not worth a hard hitting cap contract..Don't want to watch a weak team with a good qb that won't get back to the Super Bowl because we can't pay for enough talent..

You go to him with that contact and he will walk. It will cost 18-2o mil a year and not a Kap style contract.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":kxlq7tdr said:
Anthony!":kxlq7tdr said:

It's the lock of the century.

I know our judgement gets clouded because we all spend time here reading utter lunacy...........but Pete, John and Paul Allen love Russell probably more than their own children. No way in hell they let him go anywhere.

He's going to be locked up for at least 6 years, maybe longer.

Again they may love him but he wants to be known as a great , Elite QB and he will struggle to do that has this team is currently constructed. The oline is bad a pass blocking, he has no #1 wr or a WR that will make a play, and it is a run first team. I want Wilson to be resigned but everyone keeps forgetting it is about what Wilson wants and he wants to be the best and as our team is constructed he is not set up to be the best