Is Russell Wilson worth extending?

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1rcvnpbv said:
Spin Doctor":1rcvnpbv said:
How many times do I have to tell you, O-line rankings are meaningless when it comes to pass protection. The passer is just as important as the physical line when it comes to pass protection. Why is it that when Manning lost Clady, one of the better LT's in the league, he still was one of the least sacked QB's? It is because he has a quick release, and he gets rid of the ball quickly. Almost always mobile QB's have a much higher sack rate than guys such as Manning, Brady, etc, that isn't any coincidence.

Is our line bad? Hell yeah, I see lots of blown blocks and missed assignments, but things could be better, especially during certain games where our line was actually playing well. Wilson led the league in what is called "coverage sacks" by PFF. A coverage sack is as it sounds, a QB is sacked because he holds onto the ball too long, it isn't necessarily caused by receivers. Wilson also held onto the ball for a very long time, in fact no other QB held the ball for more time than him. I doubt that this will ever improve even with a better line, I think he'll always be one of the most sacked QB's in the NFL due to how he plays the game.

Manning also has a plethora of receivers who get open in under 2.5 seconds. Wilson is a young QB working with a young receiving corps. Baldwin is probably playing out of position at split end. Kearse and RIchardson have not done a great job at getting open. Norwood is barely playing. He has no TE who can get open and catch the ball reliably.

Wilson gets off just 48% of his throws in 2.5 seconds or less. However, when he does get the ball off in that time, he is one of the best QBs in the league, completing 73.8% of those throws with a QB rating of 112.2. On throws over 2.5 seconds, he completes just 48.2% with a 61.7 rating.

It's foolhardy to assume he won't get better at completing more of his throws in 2.5 seconds, when he has been elite. He's only in his 3rd season. Expect him to get better, especially as his receiving corps matures.

Great post, I foed the guy so I can only read what he writes when someone quotes him, but I see he is still using selective stats out of context to make his points, which when you really look at the stats in context actually disprove his points, OH and of course also comes up with excuses why some stats should be ignored specifically the ones that do not support him. Ie pass blocking rankings.

The fact of the matter is, Wilson has proven over and over again when given time, and there is someone open he is Elite. He has proven he can get rid of the ball quickly when someone is open to throw it to.

I have supplied a boat load of facts, stats and links supporting the fact that there are a lot of issue at play here. He has shown nothing.

Lets look at this link

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/ ... crambling/

Wilson was sacked 44 times. Here is how experts broke them down

20 for what it terms a “blown block.”

14 for good coverage in the secondary

8 for a rusher coming in untouched (so meaning the blame more on scheme or assignment than a physical error).

And one each for it describes as other pressure and “quarterback fault.”

28 out of the 44 sacked were on the oline that's 64%. 1
14 was coverage sacks that is on the WRs
1 was other pressure
1 was on the QB

So basically 2% of Wilsons sacks were on him, 2% on other, the other 96% were either oline or WRs. Enough said

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pehawk":1br1tptn said:
HoustonHawk82":1br1tptn said:
:thcoffee:

Let's take it down a notch here, and remember that everyone has an opinion, and not all of them are palatable.

To silence an outside-the-box thought is NOT going to happen, provided that opinion is presented within the board rules.

A reminder that anyone can select another topic to read and contribute to by just a few, simple, keystrokes, and a mouse click.

+1

I hate how this board behaves with these posts. You act like a bunch of pansies afraid to read opposing viewpoints. It's despicable.

Grow a pair and challenge his logic, creeps.
I've tried challenging his, ahem, logic, sorry, but you can't challenge what ain't there.
With him, it's anybody but RW

OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
scutterhawk":kpfcyowh said:
pehawk":kpfcyowh said:
HoustonHawk82":kpfcyowh said:
:thcoffee:

Let's take it down a notch here, and remember that everyone has an opinion, and not all of them are palatable.

To silence an outside-the-box thought is NOT going to happen, provided that opinion is presented within the board rules.

A reminder that anyone can select another topic to read and contribute to by just a few, simple, keystrokes, and a mouse click.

+1

I hate how this board behaves with these posts. You act like a bunch of pansies afraid to read opposing viewpoints. It's despicable.

Grow a pair and challenge his logic, creeps.
I've tried challenging his, ahem, logic, sorry, but you can't challenge what ain't there.
With him, it's anybody but RW
The history of QB's that have won the superbowl after getting a megadeal paints quite a grim picture. The reality is, even with salary cap increases QB's are being paid a higher percentage of the cap than ever before. There are 13 QB's being paid over 10 percent of the cap in todays NFL. Only 3 QB's since 1995 have ever won a superbowl when taking up over 10 percent of the cap, those three being Aikman, Eli Manning, and Peyton Manning. Needless to say going 2 and 12 is not a ringing endorsement for that particular business model.

Now, where does this leave Russell Wilson? Lets face it, not extending Russell Wilson would be a gamble, but extending him doesn't necessarily guarantee that the Hawks' will be successful in future endeavours. Its a catch 22 scenario. My personal opinion is that signing Wilson will ultimately end up setting this franchise back, especially considering that the Seahawks have been one of the least QB relient teams in the NFL under Pete Carroll, and the fact that Carroll has had a difficult time building and keeping a coherent supporting cast on offense. Signing Wilson to a mega contract undoubtedly means that the Seahawks will have to sacrifice in another area or two to compensate for his salary.

It is my personal opinion that while Wilson is good, his production is replaceable. I do not ever think he will reach his potential as a passer due to our FO's ability to put together a coherent line, and draft and keep suitable receivers. I acknowledge that life would be difficult without him at first, but I would rather that than suffer through a mediocrity. If Wilson never gets better as a passer we're going to suffer through some hard times when the Seahawks are not able to maintain the same talent level. I just don't think as he is now that he can lead a high scoring offense, especially with the Seahawks inability to keep good wideouts, and put together a good O-Line.

Ozzy

Reaction score
My personal opinion is that Spin Doctor is trolling or you have painted yourself into a corner and now have to defend it to save face. It has been said repeatedly but Wilson's struggles have not been all on him and I'm not really sure why you can't get your head around this. How did Brady look when Gronk is out? Does Wilson have anyone even remotely close to Gronk? Or Nelson/Cobb in GB? Or the Thomas twins/Sanders/Welker in Denver? What kind of numbers would WIlson put up in Philly?

So Wilson has a rough month and you say he is a mediocre passer? What about the 2+ years leading up to now? What about the highest career passer rating to start a career EVER. What about the TD record as a rookie? What about his ability to not make mistakes? What about his ability to take a game over? He has more game winning drives than Rodgers does for his WHOLE CAREER. So that is easily replaceable?

You're last point about leading a high powered offense....He was actually less than a point per game behind the Saints and their high powered offense last year(beating them in the playoffs to boot although you can't win with Russell) and top 5 in scoring with NO elite options in the passing game and a below average offensive line. But he is the problem?

Again I think everyone has a right to an opinion and Wilson does need to play better than he has the past month or so. The fact that you refuse to listen to any counterpoints or admit you might be wrong or off base is baffling. I don't mean to be insulting but I think you are either getting a kick out of trolling on a message board or just that stubborn and it wouldn't matter what Wilson did you won't leave your island.

Anthony!

Reaction score
austinslater25":3haoy1yl said:
My personal opinion is that Spin Doctor is trolling or you have painted yourself into a corner and now have to defend it to save face. It has been said repeatedly but Wilson's struggles have not been all on him and I'm not really sure why you can't get your head around this. How did Brady look when Gronk is out? Does Wilson have anyone even remotely close to Gronk? Or Nelson/Cobb in GB? Or the Thomas twins/Sanders/Welker in Denver? What kind of numbers would WIlson put up in Philly?

So Wilson has a rough month and you say he is a mediocre passer? What about the 2+ years leading up to now? What about the highest career passer rating to start a career EVER. What about the TD record as a rookie? What about his ability to not make mistakes? What about his ability to take a game over? He has more game winning drives than Rodgers does for his WHOLE CAREER. So that is easily replaceable?

You're last point about leading a high powered offense....He was actually less than a point per game behind the Saints and their high powered offense last year(beating them in the playoffs to boot although you can't win with Russell) and top 5 in scoring with NO elite options in the passing game and a below average offensive line. But he is the problem?

Again I think everyone has a right to an opinion and Wilson does need to play better than he has the past month or so. The fact that you refuse to listen to any counterpoints or admit you might be wrong or off base is baffling. I don't mean to be insulting but I think you are either getting a kick out of trolling on a message board or just that stubborn and it wouldn't matter what Wilson did you won't leave your island.

BING BING BING we have a winner, great post

Donn2390

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":4wpt9l0c said:
MeanBlueGreen":4wpt9l0c said:
Spin Doctor":4wpt9l0c said:
This may sound like sacrilege to many to the 9th degree, but it has been a question that has been nagging at the back of my mind for awhile. Wilson is going to due a huge pay day soon somewhere in the range of 120 million dollars. He is going to be one of the best, if not the best paid Quarterback in the NFL. This means the roster is going to have to undergo a serious makeover. No longer can we have big free agent acquisitions, this contract will certainly mean letting go of a few contributors on our team at this moment. We won the superbowl last year largely to a team that was good in all phases of the game. We can no longer count on that to be the case in the future, as we're already starting to see this season.

In lieu of the looming future the question I'm asking myself is: Can Wilson carry the team, can he be that elite QB that can carry the team on his back. If we re-sign him Wilson is going to have to shoulder a much larger burden, as it is going to cost the team in a few extra areas.

Russell Wilson is a good Quarterback, certainly better than the washed up Hasselbeck, the Flynns, TJs, and Whitehursts of this world. I have my doubts though as to whether he can transcend his point guard Quarterback status.

No, we should dump that loser and resign Hasselbeck for pennies on the dollar.

Matt is Maaaannn!

:sarcasm_on:
I would take Hasselbeck in his prime over Russell Wilson, no joke. Hasselbeck was truly elite in 2007. He had no running game, a terrible O-Line, and mediocre receivers yet he was virtually unstoppable.
You have now lost any semblance of credibility and need go no further. A completely ridiculous statement proving you need to take up a different sport.
Hasselbeck was never truly elite, just an adequate hard worker and a decent guy, whereas RW has hardly scratched the surface on his abilities. He has already proven to be far better than Hass was in his best years... JMHO..

edogg23

Reaction score
I think buried in this crap pile of a thread is a legitimate salary cap question of if the Seahawks can compete for a Superbowl without having the advantage of all the extra money they are afforded by having a probowl qb on a rookie contract. Problem is, there isn't much they can do about it, other than try their hardest to get Russell to sign for a contract similar to Kaep.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Donn2390":2w6edirl said:
Spin Doctor":2w6edirl said:
MeanBlueGreen":2w6edirl said:
Spin Doctor":2w6edirl said:
This may sound like sacrilege to many to the 9th degree, but it has been a question that has been nagging at the back of my mind for awhile. Wilson is going to due a huge pay day soon somewhere in the range of 120 million dollars. He is going to be one of the best, if not the best paid Quarterback in the NFL. This means the roster is going to have to undergo a serious makeover. No longer can we have big free agent acquisitions, this contract will certainly mean letting go of a few contributors on our team at this moment. We won the superbowl last year largely to a team that was good in all phases of the game. We can no longer count on that to be the case in the future, as we're already starting to see this season.

In lieu of the looming future the question I'm asking myself is: Can Wilson carry the team, can he be that elite QB that can carry the team on his back. If we re-sign him Wilson is going to have to shoulder a much larger burden, as it is going to cost the team in a few extra areas.

Russell Wilson is a good Quarterback, certainly better than the washed up Hasselbeck, the Flynns, TJs, and Whitehursts of this world. I have my doubts though as to whether he can transcend his point guard Quarterback status.

Matt is Maaaannn!

I would take Hasselbeck in his prime over Russell Wilson, no joke. Hasselbeck was truly elite in 2007. He had no running game, a terrible O-Line, and mediocre receivers yet he was virtually unstoppable.
You have now lost any semblance of credibility and need go no further. A completely ridiculous statement proving you need to take up a different sport.
Hasselbeck was never truly elite, just an adequate hard worker and a decent guy, whereas RW has hardly scratched the surface on his abilities. He has already proven to be far better than Hass was in his best years... JMHO..

Yeah its funny considering Hass oline was ranked higher than our today was in pass blocking, He copleted 62% of his passes, threw over 100 times more than Wilson does, had a Wr ranked in the top 10 with over 1000 yards while Wilsons top wr is not even ranked in the top 50, and as a team without the QB they ran for over 1500 yards which is only 300 yards less than what this team is on pace for but we run the ball more.

Lets look at this

Hass
562 attempts, 62.6% complt%, 3966 yards, 28 tds, 12 ints, 91 QB rating, 89 rushing yards, 0 tds. Total yards 4055, total tds 28

Wilson projected out for the year

460 attempts, 62.5% Complt%, 3273 yards, 7.1 ypa, 20 tds, 7 ints, 90 qb rating 889 rushing yards, 7 tds. Total yards 4162 yards, 27 tds

Variables Hass had a better WRs, passed more, easier schedule, better oline and his best stats year. RW had better RB, worse oline, worse WR, tougher schedule, and Wilsons worst stat year.

And despite that the stats are very similar, and if Wilson and the offense gets out of the funk they are in these stats are likely to tilt heavy in Wilson favor.

so much for the Hass argument

Anthony!

Reaction score
edogg23":1oqgwbpc said:
I think buried in this crap pile of a thread is a legitimate salary cap question of if the Seahawks can compete for a Superbowl without having the advantage of all the extra money they are afforded by having a probowl qb on a rookie contract. Problem is, there isn't much they can do about it, other than try their hardest to get Russell to sign for a contract similar to Kaep.

yeah one Wilson will not sign a Kap contract. 2 Denver is doing it, NE is doing it, GB is doing it, Detroit is doing it, I can go on, It can be done, the capo is going up huge more than what Wilson will need

OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Donn2390":1z14e1cs said:
Spin Doctor":1z14e1cs said:
MeanBlueGreen":1z14e1cs said:
Spin Doctor":1z14e1cs said:

Matt is Maaaannn!

Did you even watch Hasselbecks 2007 season? He was working with a patchwork line much like Wilson is. Our running game faltered, our top receivers were D.J Hackett, and Bobby Engram and our TE sucked badly. Because his center was not getting it, Hasselbeck also was in charge of making all of the protection calls. He was running the offense virtually by himself. Despite all of the odds being against him he threw for 28 TDs, and nearly 4000 yards with only 12 interceptions. He could have easily had 4300+ yards is the Seahawks didn't try force feeding Alexander for the first 6 games.

I don't think people appreciate how good of a passer Hasselbeck was at his best. He had his "spazzelbeck" moments for sure, but from 2005-2007 he was like a mini Peyton Manning on the field.

OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Anthony!":6z7snq7t said:
edogg23":6z7snq7t said:

yeah one Wilson will not sign a Kap contract. 2 Denver is doing it, NE is doing it, GB is doing it, Detroit is doing it, I can go on, It can be done, the capo is going up huge more than what Wilson will need
Have any of those teams won a superbowl lately? Like I said in the last 14 years there of only been three QB's to ever win a superbowl that have taken up over 10 percent of the cap. Those guys being Manning, Aikman and Eli. Not only that, but QB's are taking up a much larger PERCENTAGE of the cap than ever before.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Donn2390":2qzopddk said:
Spin Doctor":2qzopddk said:
MeanBlueGreen":2qzopddk said:
Spin Doctor":2qzopddk said:

Matt is Maaaannn!

LOL yup good response. I am sure he will now find a way to excuse away the facts though, but good reply.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
Anthony!":1wl5uz9b said:
Yeah its funny considering Hass oline was ranked higher than our today was in pass blocking, He copleted 62% of his passes, threw over 100 times more than Wilson does, had a Wr ranked in the top 10 with over 1000 yards while Wilsons top wr is not even ranked in the top 50, and as a team without the QB they ran for over 1500 yards which is only 300 yards less than what this team is on pace for but we run the ball more.

Lets look at this

Hass
562 attempts, 62.6% complt%, 3966 yards, 28 tds, 12 ints, 91 QB rating, 89 rushing yards, 0 tds. Total yards 4055, total tds 28

460 attempts, 62.5% Complt%, 3273 yards, 7.1 ypa, 20 tds, 7 ints, 90 qb rating 889 rushing yards, 7 tds. Total yards 4162 yards, 27 tds

Variables Hass had a better WRs, passed more, easier schedule, better oline and his best stats year. RW had better RB, worse oline, worse WR, tougher schedule, and Wilsons worst stat year.

And despite that the stats are very similar, and if Wilson and the offense gets out of the funk they are in these stats are likely to tilt heavy in Wilson favor.

How does he project to have 7 Int's this season?
He already has 5, that projects to 9 Int's

And I LOLd at your claim that the Hawks WRs are so much better in 2007.

Deion Branch, Burleson, and Engram, the leading WR.

Hass MADE Engram what he was. Branch was a below avg WR in my opinion. Burleson was flashy but no susbstance.

Hass threw many more advanced routes and far more diffcult passes from the pocket than Wilson ever has.

Wilson dropps back, if someone is wide open right away he will take it, other then that he will run around until someone comes open for low difficulty passes, running when nothing is there.

Im not saying one is better than the other, but its no suprise that you claim that Hass had everything better and Wilson everything worse.
Plus the fact that you skewed his INT projection numbers. What a shock!

OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Jacknut16":1udhbu0b said:
Anthony!":1udhbu0b said:

Lets look at this

Hass

How does he project to have 7 Int's this season?
He already has 5, that projects to 9 Int's

And I LOLd at your claim that the Hawks WRs are so much better in 2007.

Deion Branch, Burleson, and Engram, the leading WR.

Hass MADE Engram what he was. Branch was a below avg WR in my opinion. Burleson was flashy but no susbstance.

Hass threw many more advanced routes and far more diffcult passes from the pocket than Wilson ever has.

Wilson dropps back, if someone is wide open right away he will take it, other then that he will run around until someone comes open for low difficulty passes, running when nothing is there.

Im not saying one is better than the other, but its no suprise that you claim that Hass had everything better and Wilson everything worse.
Plus the fact that you skewed his INT projection numbers. What a shock!
I think it is a shame that people do not remember Matt Hasselbeck at his prime. He played some beautiful football, especially during his 2007 season. Even I completely forgot about Nate Burleson lol!

But yeah, Hasselbeck was by far running the more advanced offense. Much of his throws were timing routes where Hasselbeck puts it on the spot where the receiver is supposed to be. Not something that I have seen from Wilson very much in his career. He really elevated the play of his receivers.

Anthony!

Reaction score
SonicHawk":lxufy8t4 said:
The fact is that RW led your team to a Superbowl and he's currently 6-3 in the following year. No, he's not Peyton or Brees or Brady, he's not even Luck this year (but who is).

What he is is the perfect QB for your system and he's a safe bet. He doesn't take chances like some QBs, he doesn't get hit, like most mobile QBs, and when he's on? He's really really on.

RW has been inconsistent this year. He hasn't been as good as he was last year, but you're not going to replace him with anyone better. His floor is still higher than a Tannehill or a Palmer, his ceiling is higher than anyone like them.

Unless your bringing in Manning, you don't replace a proven commodity with an unknown.

all good points and add in the lack of talent around him with regards to the passing game and there you go. You resign him and get him some play makers.

KatarHol

Reaction score
Some people get their kicks tearing apart those who are accomplished. It makes them feel bigger. It makes them feel smarter to go against the grain and take a contrarian position on a player like Wilson. You will find their posts littered with references to how taboo the subject is. They fancy themselves to be out of the box thinkers.

Frankly, I am not impressed. They seem like sad and petty creatures.

canfan

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3l807eav said:
MeanBlueGreen":3l807eav said:
Spin Doctor":3l807eav said:

Matt is Maaaannn!

I loved Hasselbeck, and I miss the tempo that those Holmgren teams played with, but you missed one person that could always defeat Matt......himself. He was always good for a critical turnover at the absolute worst time in the game. Sorry, man. I'll take Wilson in a heartbeat. He is still learning the game and is likely a couple of years away yet from his prime. Try comparing Wilson to a circa 2002 Hasselbeck and let me know what your answer would be then.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
KatarHol":2xj8rwj2 said:
Some people get their kicks tearing apart those who are accomplished. It makes them feel bigger. It makes them feel smarter to go against the grain and take a contrarian position on a player like Wilson. You will find their posts littered with references to how taboo the subject is. They fancy themselves to be out of the box thinkers.

I don't know about sad and petty, but definitely naive and ill informed.

I think there are a lot of fairly new Hawk fans, who are maybe young, or new to the sport over the past 5 years or so..........and don't have a broad knowledge of the game.

They don't have the experience of watching horrible QB play over the past 10-40 years of the NFL being around, because if they did they'd realize Russell is a special player that can't be replaced easily. It took our franchise 38 years to find a true franchise QB, I sure as heck don't want to wait another 38 years for another.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":32mgcyrr said:
KatarHol":32mgcyrr said:

I don't know about sad and petty, but definitely naive and ill informed.

I think there are a lot of fairly new Hawk fans, who are maybe young, or new to the sport over the past 5 years or so..........and don't have a broad knowledge of the game.

They don't have the experience of watching horrible QB play over the past 10-40 years of the NFL being around, because if they did they'd realize Russell is a special player that can't be replaced easily. It took our franchise 38 years to find a true franchise QB, I sure as heck don't want to wait another 38 years for another.

Well Ive been around since game 1, way back in the 70's.

I don't want to replace Wilson, I just want people to understand that he is not an Elite QB, I think in the 10-12 QB range right now.

Which is fine, but there are also other things to be concerned about, such as when his legs lose a step I believe he will be a 20-25 ranked QB.
Not to mention as to what happens when Lynch is gone. How wil lhe fare when he is the number one option on the team?
From what I have seen at times, its not going to be great numbers from Wilson.

Its just my opinion.