Is Jesse WIlliams the guy that will replace Red Bryant?

lukerguy

Reaction score
He's the guy that replaces A.Branch.

McDaniel graded out in the bottom of the league against stopping the run. I would assume McDaniel will start unless Williams really pushes for his job in TC.

lukerguy

Reaction score
McGruff":1cr1q2o1 said:
Atradees":1cr1q2o1 said:
The Elephant end would be good for him my opinion. Size and mobility. Slide him to 3 tech DT and watch Hill play the 5 with his agility. Why? Hill would be very active and around the ball. Many parts will be mixed and matched. I am sure nothing is set in stone. We are loads deep on paper....I would imagine it would depend upon the match up and the rookie learning curve as well. Hill and Williams. So much potential.
This is a great team and .net great fans to learn from.

Elephant is LEO . . . Clemons, Avril, Irvin. Not sure Williams fits that role.

:cry: Uhh this is incorrect. Elephant is Red Bryant...LEO is Clemons when healthy. They are two separate positions.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
This is an awesome situation in which redundancy is a very very good thing. Our brain trust knows the kind of bodies, skills, and attitudes they want and they're doing a great job replicating personnel to fit the roles.

I don't follow the Giants closely, but when they last won the Super Bowl it seemed they had a never-ending rotation of strong, fast D linemen. I've always wanted to see the Hawks pull that off. We may just be on the verge of making it happen.

hawker84

Reaction score
From what i read pertaining to his draft grade, his strengths were run stopping and disrupting the pocket, his weaknesses were getting to the QB, and was pretty much a non factor on 3rd downs and obvious passing downs... I also read he was more effective on the inside as well....

jlwaters1

Reaction score
truehawksfan":30nu9f8d said:
Yes. This is the year where PC/JS selected players for the future. If it's this year, great, but me thinks it's next year when the Hawks need to sign ET, Shern, etc. Cutting players with big contracts with players on first contracts make sense.

Williams is projected to replace Red
JHill is projected to replace Mebane
Harper is projected to replace Rice
Simon is projected to replace Browner
Ware is projected to replace RealRob
The slew of OLinemen will replace whomever

I don't get where everyone assume Williams a Red Bryant Replacment. IMO he is what PC said he is a BRANCH replacement at 3 technique. IMO SCruggs/ Bennett are more likely to be Red's replacement. They aren't as big, but offer much more of an upgrade as pass rushers.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
lukerguy":rr6xbjqq said:
He's the guy that replaces A.Branch.

McDaniel graded out in the bottom of the league against stopping the run. I would assume McDaniel will start unless Williams really pushes for his job in TC.

I'm not sure I follow you, if McDaniel was so bad against the Run, than Williams should have a better chance at starting than not, if McDaniel is that weak in the most important task asked of the 3-technique in this system.

McGruff

Reaction score
Atradees":v5eoengr said:
McGruff":v5eoengr said:
Atradees":v5eoengr said:
The Elephant end would be good for him my opinion. Size and mobility. Slide him to 3 tech DT and watch Hill play the 5 with his agility. Why? Hill would be very active and around the ball. Many parts will be mixed and matched. I am sure nothing is set in stone. We are loads deep on paper....I would imagine it would depend upon the match up and the rookie learning curve as well. Hill and Williams. So much potential.

RDE. Reds 5 tech. My bad.

No problem. Easy mistake.

It never made sense to me that in the old Bill Walsh terminology "elephant" was the small DE.

McGruff

Reaction score
lukerguy":2xtnbg1n said:
McGruff":2xtnbg1n said:
Atradees":2xtnbg1n said:

:cry: Uhh this is incorrect. Elephant is Red Bryant...LEO is Clemons when healthy. They are two separate positions.

Wrong. Elephant was the old Niners/Cowboys terminology for the LB/DE hybrid position played famously by Charles Haley.

In Carroll's treminology the same position is called the LEO.

McGruff

Reaction score
http://patspropaganda.com/post/39003317 ... t-position

But let’s backpedal a bit. At 6-foot-5, 270 pounds, McGinest fit the physical prototype for the elephant, which basically is a linebacker/defensive end hybrid.

Better yet . . . http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... -call-him-‘Leo’/b7b6abb4-3cbd-4140-9806-a46c2c813322

"I like the position I’m playing now – which is the ‘Leo’ spot,” Clemons said Tuesday after the team’s first OTA practice of the offseason. “And I’m having fun doing it.”

Clemons can thank Carroll, for acquiring him and also the position he is playing.

Carroll learned the spot – then called “Elephant” – as the defensive coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers (1995-96) under coach George Seifert. He then used it when he was the head coach with the New England Patriots (1997-99) and at USC.

Tical21

Reaction score
No. Red is a beast and goes a long way to define the identity of our defense.

McGruff

Reaction score
Tical21":27npdfqy said:
No. Red is a beast and goes a long way to define the identity of our defense.

I love Red and totally agree with what you are saying here . . . But . . .

After this season Red will be 30 years old, and is due a $3million roster bonus which will bring his 2014 salary to $7.5million dollars. At a time when Sherman, Thomas and Okung will all be eligible for extensions.

It's not hard to do the math. 2013 is the make or break year for Red. the structure of the contract was such that it forces the team to make a decision in 2014.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
The coaching staff will have to see how he fits, but I imagine there's some hope from the front office that he will at least upgrade the 3-tech over Branch with the chance to replace Red if he doesn't play at the 7.5 million level he's owed in 2014.

Williams is a versatile guy and I know Pete has said they see him as a 3-tech, (and I fully agree. I've been saying it since January he's a better version of Branch and can play the same role), but I wouldn't take what Pete says as the full truth. I think they want some competition and insurance at the 5-tech, too.

If you remember the selection of KJ Wright, Pete said they wanted to to "provide depth at MLB" and "we like him at the Mike", but sure enough a couple weeks into training camp we saw KJ taking snaps at SAM, Aaron Curry's position at the time, which imo was the plan the whole time. I could see the same thing with Williams and Red where the idea is to play him at the 3-tech but hope he can grow into the 5-tech role, maybe saving 7 million in the process.

General Manager

Reaction score
He will see some time at 3tech for sure and at NT not sure if he will see time at the 5tech or not but it's way to early to lock these guys into spots because Pete isn't even sure where everyone will play yet he said as much.

kearly

Reaction score
I think Williams will probably see more time at the 3-tech than the 5-tech in ideal circumstances this year. That said, I think it's pretty obvious that Seattle drafted Williams for Red Bryant depth. We didn't have depth for Bryant after losing Branch. McDonald isn't that guy. McDaniels isn't that guy. Jordan Hill possibly could be, but Williams is a much more obvious fit for the Red Bryant role and Hill was primarily drafted as a prototypical 3-tech.

I think there is a pretty good chance that Bryant loses his job to Williams by next season. For all the grief Thurmond gets for being injury prone, Bryant has had even more injury issues. And he's one of Seattle's most expensive defenders. Red Bryant has almost no guaranteed money after this season and is due a roster bonus next spring, meaning that there is a lot of incentive for Seattle to move on from Bryant next year. Bryant will have to step up in a big way this year to stay on the team, especially since you know the Seahawks are going to be looking at trimming contracts next offseason.

Maybe Bryant stays no matter what, but I'd feel a heck of a lot better replacing Bryant with Williams than replacing Rice with Harper or Miller with McCoy if Seattle is looking to free up cap space.