I'm Officially Worried about Richardson

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
General Manager":2a5k9qop said:
Attyla the Hawk":2a5k9qop said:
I don't see anything to be concerned with about in the least. Lots of players are held out of TC for minor things that wouldn't even merit a 'probable' on a mid season injury report.

This team doesn't ONLY develop in practice. They don't do a lot of things that other teams feel they need to do. Just last night, watching talking heads and ex coaches and players talk almost as if there is a virtue to a spirited TC fight. Pete doesn't go that way. Seattle doesn't need to go with that kind of dynamic to instill physicality. And they don't need to have players tough it out in TC in order to demonstrate their willingness to play with pain.

As for Richardson in particular. I've come to realize, both here and many of the other draft/NFL forums I frequent -- that there are simply a lot of people who harbored the original opinion that PR is a twig and can't stand up to the NFL punishment. And that they are quite simply never going to concede on that opinion ever. Even if he plays 3 straight years and subsequently has a 3-4 week injury. If he ever gets injured, we'll see all of the 'fragile twig' acolytes pour out of the woodwork to say they knew he wouldn't stand up to the rigors of the NFL season. I'd be willing to bet that just about everyone in this thread bemoaning his health today has a corresponding omen of doom post on his draft thread.

If he's like every other NFL player, he's going to miss some time. It is an occupational hazard of the NFL and most guys miss time. There is no expectation that Lee or Adams or Matthews or Latimer or any of the other WRs available when we picked at 32 would be any more durable.

Earl Thomas is among the smallest FS in the entire league. Yet nobody here is wringing their hands at his impending stint on IR because he's so slight and puts his puny little body in such dire peril. Size, or lack thereof, doesn't really have any relevance or predictive quality to whether a player is going to stand up to physical punishment.

This notion that he can't take the physical nature of the NFL comes from professional scouts. It's not something anyone here made up so lets be clear about that . Some of us might be more concerned with it than others yes that's true but no one has said he can't be a very good WR in the NFL. He hasn't even played a game yet and all indications are he will play on Thursday, so right now there's nothing to worry about . They didn't draft him to be that kind physical WR for us anyway .
These were the same scouts that said a 5 foot 11 QB would be lucky to win a backup job at QB, let alone win a Lombardi trophy in his second year. Conventional wisdom isn't always wise, especially when it comes to Seattle.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
General Manager":14h7durx said:
You guys aren't fooling anyone ,no one wanted Richardson with that pick every one is on record with who they wanted at WR and it wasn't PR. Maybe he will turn into a good WR maybe he won't but I'm tired of people getting attacked because they have the audacity to challenge the FO on a draft pick. That's just BS.

I did. Matt Waldman with footballguys did a great report on him pre draft. He was on my radar for sure.

General Manager

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":ymu7mev4 said:
General Manager":ymu7mev4 said:
You guys aren't fooling anyone ,no one wanted Richardson with that pick every one is on record with who they wanted at WR and it wasn't PR. Maybe he will turn into a good WR maybe he won't but I'm tired of people getting attacked because they have the audacity to challenge the FO on a draft pick. That's just BS.

I did. Matt Waldman with footballguys did a great report on him pre draft. He was on my radar for sure.

Sure , you had him in your top ten WR's at the time so good work.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
King Dog":1vhzpzw6 said:
Sgt. Largent":1vhzpzw6 said:
General Manager":1vhzpzw6 said:
I was OK with the selection, we've never had a a pick with Richardson's skill set.

Seahawks football didn't start in 2005 :D Remember Joey Galloway?

Galloway was 2 inches shorter and like 30 lbs heavier than Richardson, so I wouldn't compare their two skill sets.

Daryl Turner would be a closer comparison, but Richardson has far better hands and route running skills than Turner did. So that's not entirely fair either.

A

Anonymous

:thcoffee:

It's refreshing to see so many of you injecting your internet Xanax into these threads. Confidence is high; I like it.

A promising WR DP, like PR, getting nicked so early along, is worrisome. It IS worth discussing to gauge the thoughts of others, and this is THE place to do it, but let's remember we are on the same team. It is a great time of year to exercise good message board tact and not all of us are as informed as some.

Funny, but it looks like even the media need to take a few cleansing breaths.

Y'all play nice, or I'll call-up a pony and rainbow attack from the Stache.

:mrgreen:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
General Manager":3osnz53d said:

The fact they took someone that no one really identified as an option makes me that much happier.

This is the same board that said Brandon Coleman was Calvin Johnson 2.0

Richardson is going to be fantastic. No doubt in my mind.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":12c9wdxv said:
Pandion Haliaetus":12c9wdxv said:
I don't understand how Norwood nor Richardson really changes the equation or your hopes but its not like any of them were going to start or see significant snaps as the 4th, 5th, or 6th WRs.

Both these guys were ahead of all the other players you mentioned besides Kearse, Harvin and Baldwin as far as practice snaps. So not sure what you're saying.

We do need Richardson and Norwood to contribute this year, no way you can be comfortable going into the regular season with guys like Walters, Lockette and Clark being our 4-6 receivers.

Actually it wouldn't bother me at all.

Last year we entered the seasons with

Golden Tate
Sidney Rice at like 75% (bum knee)
Doug Baldwin
Stephen Williams (unkown)
Jermaine Kearse (unkown)
Percy Harvin (PUP)
Zach Miller
Luke Willson (rookie unkown)

We ended the season:

Golden Tate
Doug Baldwin
Percy Harvin
Jermaine Kearse
Bryan Walters
Ricardo Lockette

Rice on I.R. after week 8.
Williams cut before week 4.
Harvin contributing in only 3 games.

So for some unfortunate reason our WRs ended up being:

Percy Harvin (I believe in without a doubt)
Doug Baldwin (should be better)
Jermaine Kearse (should be better)
Bryan Walters.(should be better)
Ricardo Lockette (should be better)
Phil Bates

It wouldn't bother one bit. Obviously, you would like to see players stay healthy and contribute especially as rookies but some players need to get acclimated into the brutality of the NFL. They'll get their bumps and bruises and either get stronger or break.

I'm not going to worry about what could happen... I'm not saying you shouldn't ... but more or less if the Seahawks have to deal with it, they'll deal with it... not going to bother with the negatives because I've seen the season last year bring out the worst in people about this team, about its players, and how the team should be run.

The end results through all that turmoil was a Superbowl win. Besides when you have a QB like Wilson, who makes any WR better and running game like Seattles...I'm just honestly not concerned if the rookies contribute or not.

Doesn't bother me one bit... the best of the healthiest players will make the roster and more. Often than not. Those players will tend step up.

Besides this really is a Superbowl or bust year for me... I just want them. To be competetive, get into the Playoffs, and build their players to the future.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1qcpb1mw said:

Phil Bates.

I ABSOLUTELY would not be OK with us going into the regular season with our 1st half schedule with these receivers. Walters, Lockette and Bates have a combined 8 NFL catches.

Russell got murdered last year running for his life on pass plays trying desperately to find open receivers, so don't fool yourself we need Richardson and/or Norwood to contribute and compete.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2rtxrs7y said:
Pandion Haliaetus":2rtxrs7y said:

Phil Bates.

I ABSOLUTELY would not be OK with us going into the regular season with our 1st half schedule with these receivers. Walters, Lockette and Bates have a combined 8 NFL catches.

Russell got murdered last year running for his life on pass plays trying desperately to find open receivers, so don't fool yourself we need Richardson and/or Norwood to contribute and compete.
Isn't that just a little over the top? Remember these guys are rookies and rookie---wide receiver usually is not a mix you want to count on unless they are Megatron or Green from the Bengals (who are position elevating players probably like Percy Harvin).

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":adb5ylbf said:
Pandion Haliaetus":adb5ylbf said:

Phil Bates.

Richardson and Norwood have a combined 0 NFL catches. You don't want to rely on the experience angle here.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":xsfwhgly said:
As for Richardson in particular. I've come to realize, both here and many of the other draft/NFL forums I frequent -- that there are simply a lot of people who harbored the original opinion that PR is a twig and can't stand up to the NFL punishment. And that they are quite simply never going to concede on that opinion ever. Even if he plays 3 straight years and subsequently has a 3-4 week injury. If he ever gets injured, we'll see all of the 'fragile twig' acolytes pour out of the woodwork to say they knew he wouldn't stand up to the rigors of the NFL season. I'd be willing to bet that just about everyone in this thread bemoaning his health today has a corresponding omen of doom post on his draft thread.

If he's like every other NFL player, he's going to miss some time. It is an occupational hazard of the NFL and most guys miss time. There is no expectation that Lee or Adams or Matthews or Latimer or any of the other WRs available when we picked at 32 would be any more durable.

The same conventional wisdom (CW) is used to describe Percy Harvin as "injury prone". Talking heads and fans regularly refer to him in this manner, in spite of his complete history in the league. In his first three seasons in the league, he missed a total of 3 games. He played 9 games straight in 2012 leading up the Hawks' game where he sustained the ankle injury. His hip issue (not injury), was genetic and eventually became so problematic it needed correcting, similar to other issues like Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. Coming back too early (Viking's game), then suffering the concussion(s) (Saints' game), has officially placed him in the 'injury prone' doghouse. Unless he plays in 100% of possible games for the rest of his career, folks will inevitably point to his injury proneness as the culprit, in the same way they will point to PRich's fragility should he miss any time. CW often falls far short of actual wisdom. :les:

Basis4day

Reaction score
Richardson practiced today with no restrictions and made a bunch of catches. Full disclosure It was a no pad practice.

They're being cautious with him. No football player is ever truly "healthy".

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":2ff3zt60 said:
Richardson practiced today with no restrictions and made a bunch of catches. Full disclosure It was a no pad practice.

When the ball hit his hands, did they fall off?

Because of his build, you see. It's a concern.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
General Manager":2ktamyfi said:
Hawknballs":2ktamyfi said:
No porblem. Hey I'm sure there are several NFL teams who would love to have an expert like yourself on staff if only they knew about your expansive resume.

I'm going to be the bigger man and let this drop even though you decided to make it personal have a nice day.

congrats on being the bigger man after making it personal after putting me 'at the top of the list'. Great job, mission accomplished big guy!

General Manager

Reaction score
Hawknballs":30woo12g said:
General Manager":30woo12g said:
Hawknballs":30woo12g said:
No porblem. Hey I'm sure there are several NFL teams who would love to have an expert like yourself on staff if only they knew about your expansive resume.

I'm going to be the bigger man and let this drop even though you decided to make it personal have a nice day.

congrats on being the bigger man after making it personal after putting me 'at the top of the list'. Great job, mission accomplished big guy!

You started it my man.

Have nice couple of days off and read the stickied post in announcements.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
volsunghawk":243kc4dq said:
Basis4day":243kc4dq said:

Because of his build, you see. It's a concern.

He withstood a gentle 5 MPH breeze too. Equally impressive. Was worried he'd fly into the lake.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3hb87cjn said:
Basis4day":3hb87cjn said:

Thanks for the laff... I needed it. :D