I'm gonna get skewered for this, but...

NorCalHawk12

Reaction score
...they were sandbaggin' it.
Not wanting to show their hand and not wanting a loss at home. That's it.
Even if (and it's a GIANT if) they lose at New York, it'll be the last loss of the season. Actually, I think this was the last loss of the season, so take solace, my friends.
Think about it. Have you ever seen them so lackluster before? I read in a thread that even their body language was different. They didn't seem to have a "spark." Whatever it was on Sunday, they're goin' on a tear from here on out.

Mark my words. It ain't over 'til it's over.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sort of with ya. They were very conservative from the start in all phases. I don't believe they lost on purpose or anything like that, but they clearly were ok with walking away having lost a close one.

OP
OP
NorCalHawk12

NorCalHawk12

Reaction score
Love the new avatar. That'll be Eli after the 1st quarter. I bet they're going into New Jersey just pissed. Kinda like the Saints did to Carolina...(Even though that went against the "Play-Seattle-and-lose-next-game" thing.)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I doubt they sandbagged it. But, it was clear they flat out told RW to not run the entire game. Probably worried about the headhunting.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2vma4432 said:
I doubt they sandbagged it. But, it was clear they flat out told RW to not run the entire game. Probably worried about the headhunting.

Exactly. No reason to get the franchise hurt in a meaningless game.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
It wasn't a peak performance by any comparison to any other games is the last 12 months

Jiggy

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":12illdx4 said:
SoulfishHawk":12illdx4 said:

Not trying to be combative here. But the game wasn't meaningless. If we won we would have wrapped up the NFC West. Now we risk the possibility of a wildcard spot. Granted, that is a VERY remote possibility, almost beyond belief, but that possibility is still there. We all know that in the NFL, any thing can happen any Sunday.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Jiggy":1p8i0uwr said:
Tech Worlds":1p8i0uwr said:
SoulfishHawk":1p8i0uwr said:

Not trying to be combative here. But the game wasn't meaningless. If we won we would have wrapped up the NFC West. Now we risk the possibility of a wildcard spot. Granted, that is a VERY remote possibility, almost beyond belief, but that possibility is still there. We all know that in the NFL, any thing can happen any Sunday.

Meaningless was a poor choice of words for me to use.

hawker84

Reaction score
i don"t believe it either, when you have a chance to seal the deal you seal it. I think we just fell a bit short against an elite defense. I'll buy the vanilla play calling to protect Wilson, but I don't for a minute think they sandbagged it.

A

Anonymous

Well, we saw what happened to Gronkowski.

Out of all the teams out there, I think it's plausible to assume that the coaching staff saw a cheap shot or two were a distinct possibility playing the Niners.

You know, those "legal" shots to the knees?

Jiggy

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2wojmx6d said:
Jiggy":2wojmx6d said:
Tech Worlds":2wojmx6d said:
SoulfishHawk":2wojmx6d said:

Meaningless was a poor choice of words for me to use.

:D
21GW5

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3rlbwdvm said:

I don't know about sandbagging either. After all, these are two teams that really DO flat out hate each other.

Regarding Russell Wilson and not running ... I'd say the tone for that was set very early -- in fact, on the very first possession I'd argue. Wilson DID try running away from the defense as he always does ... and the sheer speed that Novorro Bowman came flying in there to sack him there and cause the fumble was truly amazing. Up until this point, I think it's been in the back of his mind that he's thinking, "I'm faster than any lineman or linebacker out there, so if I get in trouble, I can just run away from them". Not so with San Francisco. To me, that play right there was the tone setter in terms of Wilson and scrambling with the ball. It kind of put the brakes on that idea for basically the rest of the game.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Sand bagging? Not a chance. It was a bigger game for us than it was the Niners, but nevertheless, we would have been in a better position than we are now had we won that game.

However, I do think it plausible that we didn't want to expose our entire playbook, especially to a team that we may end up seeing again in the playoffs.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Remember how silly it sounded when 9ers fans said that their OC only opened up half his play book after last December's game?

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I don't think they were sandbagging but Russell runs every game by design. They typically take at least 4 shots down field. There was something missing and they had time to do it frequently. Obviously it was for preservation of RW and I am glad they played it like that. Simply because Brooks lives in the neutral zone and doesn't use the brakes, ever.

I want the Niners in the playoffs. I wouldn't even care if they had to play in The Stick. They are not the threat they once were. At home, forget about it.

The Giants game will be much looser and won't carry the hype of the Niners game. That game was meant for the Niners to win, at least be put into a much better place to make plays and more opportunities to make them.

jdblack

Reaction score
RiverDog":1nbv9e60 said:
Sand bagging? Not a chance...However, I do think it plausible that we didn't want to expose our entire playbook, especially to a team that we may end up seeing again in the playoffs.

That last sentence is the definition of sandbagging. From Merriam-Webster.com; Sandbagging: to hide the truth about oneself so as to gain an advantage over another.

I personally think they sandbagged. The full playbook was definitely not open on either offense or defense. My buddies were talking about them possibly doing that even before the game. Good chance we'll be seeing the 49ers in the playoffs.

drdiags

Reaction score
Not going with the sandbag theory. Denotes fear to me and I don't think the team operates on fear. I could be wrong but I am going to pass on this excuse. 9ers said they were coached to keep Wilson in the pocket, Pete said they figured out early that the 9ers weren't having it and didn't press the issue. The 9ers weren't giving up the deep shots, so Wilson couldn't take them.

If you consider the logic in the OP, then I guess the Saints and the Seahawks held back stuff so in case they meet in the playoffs one wouldn't have a leg up on the other. Again, not buying it.