I'd like to respond to a post...

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
netskier":33cskbro said:
Kidhawk, the idea is to create a new, experimental forum, with new rules.

Have one forum for emotional ranting, and a corresponding forum for NO RANTING, and with the new rules.

You have read the large number of posters who state that they have gone inactive because of the pandemic negativity.

This is essentially what the Game Day Forum is for. We open it on game days and keep it open for a few days after until it cools off and the discussion naturally migrates to this forum. There is a reason the rating on the Game Day forum is much more relaxed than on this one: people are wound up and emotional on game day, regardless if we win or lose. That is the forum for ranting, and this is the forum for no ranting.

We have essentially exactly what you're suggesting--good suggestion, by the way. It's just that we need to utilize both forums as intended.

netskier

Reaction score
You need to do more than that. Suggesting that people save their nastiness for the game day forum, might move some of it there, but will not stop it from continuing here.

If you want a civil forum, then you must stop incivility in it.

Else you will have a shack. And, right now, the main forum is functionally a shack, because it gets mean as hell. One can be very mean without the eff word.

seedhawk

Reaction score
My analogy is, .net is a highway, paved with observations, opinions, and personalities. Traffic on our highway has increased dramatically the past few years. Where most of us used to know and give a friendly wave as we passed or met most of the posters, now, there are too many to keep up with.

With increased traffic, we have also accumulated more litterers. Some throw out flammable stuff, and for some it is just a candy bar wrapper. Glad I am not a Mod, cuz their job is about like the litter patrol peeps you see along roads with their warning signs. Way too much trash to pick up, and the job never ends. Clean up the first mess, and instantly there are 3 or 4 more.

Time for all of us to be accountable, and stop littering. Thanks Mods!

netskier

Reaction score
Nice analogy.

I propose a second road parallel to the main forum, differing in that incivility is punished with read only status.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would say this, unless your head is in the sand the world is not a nice place and people will push boundries and limits, you don't want to be part of the world thats ok, people have isolated themselves and set up walls around themselves to keep the world out, does anyone miss them if they are not actively involved with the general population, not really.

You can choose how you want to be, we have to choose for almost 10,000 members the best guidelines we can for that almost 10,000. It has worked so far, we hate losing anyone in the growth but it happens, we ask as stated many times that selective involvement and picking your topics and who you associate with may be more an option. If your going to disagree with a member who has a high level of combativeness then you can expect that response, if you know the poster likes to discuss X - O'S thats probably what you will get, the stuff in bewteen is the optional part. You can ignore or choose to battle or agree to disagree, it's really that simple.

netskier

Reaction score
That sounds like an argument for continuing our tragedy of the commons.

I propose to try to build a better new world. Why not? I volunteer some of my time for it, just to satisfy my curiosity to see if it works.

grizbob

Reaction score
netskier":3d26bxo0 said:
That sounds like an argument for continuing our tragedy of the commons.

I propose to try to build a better new world. Why not? I volunteer some of my time for it, just to satisfy my curiosity to see if it works.

As a tragic commoner I say no, if it aint broke don't fix it. :thfight7:

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
You could always try creating your own page? I'm not trying to sound like I'm running you off, but if you truly feel this is a hostile place, it might be worth trying to pioneer your own website.

Being in, and now working with, the military, nothing said on these forums (in my opinion) is a life-altering event (or should be taken as such) compared to what I hear everyday at work. Ok, maybe the PWR forum is the exception...but no one has to tread there for Seahawks material.

I personally don't feel the forums need to change and that the mods are doing one hell of a bang-up job trying to herd us cats. Some posters seem to think they know more than others when they present their arguments (and some of them do know more) or have little to no tact, but at the end of the day is it worth getting into a 'verbal' confrontation over or having it ruin your day?

Rob12

Reaction score
netskier":3or8t2wf said:
Why not create a new sub forum to implement Kearly's concept of an Anti-Shack for Elevated Discussion as he suggested in his post 29 in the current Kearly thread? I would strongly support this.

Yeah, quite honestly, I'm a bit surprised that this has not already been implemented.

Membership applications to that sub forum should be gone through with a fine tooth comb. I'd even volunteer to weed out the applicants based on post history. Some might see that as alienating certain posters, but there needs to be a place where intelligent discussion can take place and the leash on membership to that forum is short.

Maybe this isn't a real popular idea, but it's worth exploring.

Rob12

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":997lbglt said:
netskier":997lbglt said:

Have one forum for emotional ranting, and a corresponding forum for NO RANTING, and with the new rules.

You have read the large number of posters who state that they have gone inactive because of the pandemic negativity.

This is essentially what the Game Day Forum is for. We open it on game days and keep it open for a few days after until it cools off and the discussion naturally migrates to this forum. There is a reason the rating on the Game Day forum is much more relaxed than on this one: people are wound up and emotional on game day, regardless if we win or lose. That is the forum for ranting, and this is the forum for no ranting.

We have essentially exactly what you're suggesting--good suggestion, by the way. It's just that we need to utilize both forums as intended.

Perhaps netskier and I are talking about two different things, but I was thinking more along the lines of having a forum that exclusively fosters positive, intelligent discussion about the Seahawks. A place where we wouldn't have to worry that Kip would get disrespected and trolled over his highly thought out posts. I've been lurking here since The Breda Report days, and to me losing the Random Thoughts posts was one of the real tragedies of this board. I mean really, it was a really, really bad black eye on .NET. Why not create a place where respect has been earned and will continue to be given?

Just a thought.

Rob12

Reaction score
Something like, "Kip's Corner." I have no idea... Just talking out loud at this point.

morgulon1

Reaction score
vin.couve12":37e1daef said:
There will be a certain percentage of people who have a problem with what you have to say. It is unequivocally inevitable.

I always make the comparison that, if Christianity were somehow real, Jesus Christ could come back and he would be nothing but ridiculed and in the end, homeless and ultimately likely in prison at some point, if not killed.

Hard to say, and I need to take my own advise, I'm sure; but you gotta try not to sweat it. For some folks the latter is easier....not true for everyone, despite what you might see or perceive.

What were we talking about again?

vin.couve12,

Christianity is in fact real. I am a Christian.

GO HAWKS !!! :0190l: Drinkin' the kool aid.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Rob12":zlznpbbn said:
Seahawk Sailor":zlznpbbn said:
netskier":zlznpbbn said:

Perhaps netskier and I are talking about two different things, but I was thinking more along the lines of having a forum that exclusively fosters positive, intelligent discussion about the Seahawks. A place where we wouldn't have to worry that Kip would get disrespected and trolled over his highly thought out posts. I've been lurking here since The Breda Report days, and to me losing the Random Thoughts posts was one of the real tragedies of this board. I mean really, it was a really, really bad black eye on .NET. Why not create a place where respect has been earned and will continue to be given?

Just a thought.
I think people with lofty ideas should try to create that change within the culture, rather than put up walls of exclusivity where a select few can thrive in a protected, elitist environment. That's not a slam or attack in any way. I agree with the ideas about elevating the general discourse above petty bickering and blatant disrespect. I don't think a separate, secret society is the answer.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I may get flack for this but I'd like to call the mods out a bit on something here.

The whole questioning of someone's fanhood which is verboten as stated many times:

SiouxHawk has spent the last several months constantly and endlessly doing just that every time someone brought up Bevell and that play yet he, to my knowledge, has never even been reprimanded by a mod publicly within a thread. I know you guys are going to miss stuff, it's inevitable. But in my opinion there's no way his endless beating of the "you're not a real Seahawks fan if you don't support the coaching staff" drum could have gone unnoticed. I simply have never understood how he was allowed to do so all summer long.

Look I know you guys don't have an easy job but in my opinion there are times you let stuff slide that shouldn't be allowed to slide and that's an example.

Check the Gameday Forum right now for a personal attacks as well. I'm wondering if there aren't enough of you that someone could've seen a post from Friday night @ 9:28 PM (9 hours ago as I type this) that is a blatant personal attack? Nipping this stuff in the bud might well go a long way towards putting a near halt to this type of thing and bring quieter posters with good viewpoints into the discussions.

chris98251

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":17xle0lg said:
I may get flack for this but I'd like to call the mods out a bit on something here.

The whole questioning of someone's fanhood which is verboten as stated many times:

SiouxHawk has spent the last several months constantly and endlessly doing just that every time someone brought up Bevell and that play yet he, to my knowledge, has never even been reprimanded by a mod publicly within a thread. I know you guys are going to miss stuff, it's inevitable. But in my opinion there's no way his endless beating of the "you're not a real Seahawks fan if you don't support the coaching staff" drum could have gone unnoticed. I simply have never understood how he was allowed to do so all summer long.

Look I know you guys don't have an easy job but in my opinion there are times you let stuff slide that shouldn't be allowed to slide and that's an example.

Check the Gameday Forum right now for a personal attacks as well. I'm wondering if there aren't enough of you that someone could've seen a post from Friday night @ 9:28 PM (9 hours ago as I type this) that is a blatant personal attack? Nipping this stuff in the bud might well go a long way towards putting a near halt to this type of thing and bring quieter posters with good viewpoints into the discussions.

Just because something is not seen in public does not mean that it has not been noticed or addressed, game day forum is separate and yes lots of things get said in there, but it's a game day forum where emotions run high, we give more latitude and try to keep up with what we can. Also where we have that forum we are also fans and watch the game as well, you typically don't have 12 staff members looking at every post on the fly to make sure it's all kosher.

Did you report the post in question?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
chris98251":2qedoxpt said:
hawksfansinceday1":2qedoxpt said:

Just because something is not seen in public does not mean that it has not been noticed or addressed, game day forum is separate and yes lots of things get said in there, but it's a game day forum where emotions run high, we give more latitude and try to keep up with what we can. Also where we have that forum we are also fans and watch the game as well, you typically don't have 12 staff members looking at every post on the fly to make sure it's all kosher.

Did you report the post in question?
A good and fair point about not everything being dealt with in public Chris. I just felt it went on an awfully long time with the guy.

As for reporting the situation in the Gameday forum, I wasn't involved so right or wrong I felt it wouldn't be my place.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Perhaps the Moderators would feel more comfortable if there were a Breathalyzer attached to each device as they post on .net? Face it, it's just a few posters that get a little "bent out of shape" when they are under the influence.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
Yeah, heavy criticism always here. I was attacked the other day for selling something the other person gave away, even though I gave the profit TO THIS SITE. :roll:

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
As many crazy left sided post that I've made my experience have been ok when it it comes to criticisms of them. People would look at my post and pretty much laugh it off which you know I'm ok with. I guess it depends on how each individual person handles the feedback. Your either going to have a tough skin or your going to have a meltdown.

I think the feeling is that even though we are loving the same team, there is still a divide, the members who's been a fan longer and the ones who believe they are more knowledgeable in football in general to the lesser known such as myself who enjoys the game and is still learning to be knowledgeable in the game.

I'm all for having a discussion but sometimes the discussions which I am guilty of myself, we get too emotional in the response. I respect everyone here even if I disagree with their opinions.

I think this year was crazy just because of the issues we have with Bennett and Kam asking for more money, the Wilson and Wagner contracts, it's been a wild ride and it's drained quite a bit of our positive energy.