I'd like to respond to a post...

chris98251

Reaction score
stock-footage-naval-mine-is-a-self-contained-explosive-device-placed-in-water-to-destroy-ships-or-submarines.jpg

We Navigate between these two aspects all the time.

523095553-icebergs-and-ice-crystals-on-a-black-beach-gettyimages.jpg

netskier

Reaction score
Kidhawk, the idea is to create a new, experimental forum, with new rules.

Have one forum for emotional ranting, and a corresponding forum for NO RANTING, and with the new rules.

You have read the large number of posters who state that they have gone inactive because of the pandemic negativity.

netskier

Reaction score
Rule 6. No labeling attacks on posts, not just name calling posters.

Attack the truth of the post, but do not label it as, for example, "ridiculous", because saying that implicit attacks the poster.

netskier

Reaction score
I am both a theoretician and experimentalist, and loved Field of Dreams.

"Build it, and they will come."

Let's find out. How hard can it be?

kidhawk

Reaction score
netskier":175in1x9 said:
Kidhawk, the idea is to create a new, experimental forum, with new rules.

Have one forum for emotional ranting, and a corresponding forum for NO RANTING, and with the new rules.

You have read the large number of posters who state that they have gone inactive because of the pandemic negativity.

It's my opinion (not as a moderator, but purely as a long time poster) that having a board that is highly censored will get very little activity over the long haul. People read message boards to get information, but people post because their opinion differs from that of others. Whenever you create a board where opinions are all closely similar, the board is rarely very popular.

I completely understand where you are coming from, and I have no say so in whether boards are created such as the one which you are discussing, so don't take my discussion as some sort of official rebuke or anything. It's simply my opinion and nothing more.

Sealake80

Reaction score
I love all the football talk and even especially sometimes the arguments about football. I learn a lot lurking here. Only thing that really gets my goat is when it's off season. Can a mod fix that for me please? :sarcasm_on:

Seriously though thanks to everyone who makes this place great. It's not always easy I'm sure. A lot of us are missing random thoughts. Maybe this season will be the best yet for .NET. I hope so. Can't wait to read everybody stepping it up. Lets all Win Forever eh? It is easy to for the most part lurk and enjoy. So thanks again for the knowledge.

I will try to just read things and not destroy anything for anybody except in the Smack Shack.

GO SEAHAWKS.NET

Go Hawks!

OH THANK GOD PRE SEASON IS FINALLY HERE.

Probably be way to much good stuff for me to read around here and no reason at all for me to post. Balance in the universe is restored. Thanks again!

Lurkng in 3, 2, 1...

Oh yeah if I could add a rule it would be no being a baby or taking yourself too seriously. :th2thumbs: :0190l: :les: :p :lol:

netskier

Reaction score
3. Forbid the personal pronoun "you" because it always refers to the other person, and is therefore always "personal". Being personal is where the trouble starts.

One goal of Elevated Discourse is to be impersonal. One never needs to say ," you", when one can just as easily say "one".

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Thanks, HH!

First let me say I'm no stranger to posting snarky remarks and insults...but rarely on this forum. IMHO: This forum is for 'Hawks discussions and not for personal insults, etc. To call someone else's opinion, stupid, moronic, ridiculous...is wrong...even if it is stupid, moronic, ridiculous. Calling someone a hater because you disagree is also wrong.

An opinion is an opinion; that's all. If you disagree, than disagree. Make your counterpoint and move on. No reason for insults and such.

I believe it was Billy Joel who wrote:

There ain't no good guys,
There ain't bad guys,
There's just you and me,
And we just disagree...

We all we got!

netskier

Reaction score
Kid, if you, a moderator, have no say in whether new boards are created, then who does?

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":b94ndifu said:
I never post here anymore...I come here strictly for links to news not found on Seahawks.com.

Too many aggressive people with bad attitudes, that don't know how to have civil conversations. Then they hide behind the fact that "we're all fans here, so it's just part of the experience." It's bullshit, haha. Threads here can be rally embarrassing at times because of it.

Too much negativity for me, which sucks because there are a handful of great posters...it's just not worth it to spend time here.

GO HAWKS.

Yea I agree. I usually just post 1-2 line sentences because it's not worth the trolling . The last in-depth post I wrote and really my only one was before the 2014 season when I suggested that the Seahawks made a mistake trading for Harvin and letting Golden Tate leave . 6 pages of people calling me an Idiot really just had me fed up . Even though I made great points and eventually was right (as we traded Harvin a few months later ) it was still annoying.

Seems like since this team has become so dominant we have either a lot more trolls here or just regulars who forgot what it was like to be an underdog.

hawk45

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":tuz3iz99 said:
sc85sis":tuz3iz99 said:
One suggestion I would like to submit for consideration is a 24-hour rule on post-game ranting if the Seahawks lose (or just generally don't play well but still eke out a win). That doesn't mean discussion can't continue after 24 hours--simply that the more negatively-toned rants need to stop at that point and more constructive discussion commence.

How are the mods suppose to enforce that?

Isn't that why we come here, to let out our frustrations and do some ranting to blow off steam after losses?

Positive threads and posts are cool too, but so is having a place where as fans we can commiserate and rant.

Also, it seemed Chawker's complaint in the OP had to do with someone giving him the business for ranting on gameday. Enforced quotas on fan angst would seem to be likely to exacerbate the frustration of such a poster, not mitigate it. Let me add that sc85sis is a positive poster who I sense doesn't love negative fan rants, but that her way of handling it by generally continuing to post positively, instead of reacting violently in the negative, is my favorite way to handle things, even if I do disagree with a 24 hour rule.

To me it seems that this thread has become about attempting to eliminate behaviors that are intrinsic to message boards. Everyone shares their bad experience, and the mods are left with 50 different behaviors to address with solutions that will often be in conflict with the solution to a different bad behavior.

I don't like to hear about fans getting turned off by a board, but heavy-handedness in moderation will strangle a board quicker than anything, so it's to be looked on with a jaundiced eye.

I like and endorse the OP's point, before the mod suggestions started coming, which was to exhort board members to behave better themselves, and also to try to roll with the punches if someone else isn't behaving.

Because this board has one of the best balances of moderation vs. freedom of expression I've encountered. I think too much fiddling is making the perfect the enemy of the good.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Nice one, HH! :thirishdrinkers: Respect!

I agree with Popeye. Some negative aspects are just "internet culture" which is similar to actually interacting with actual people, but sometimes feels weird because of this keyboard/smart-phone filter thing between us.

And that segues into what Jerhawk said. I agree, some people can be rude, or brusk, or tactless in their comments. That's no different than almost any workplace, school, or public gathering. For me, lurking here a year before I signed up helped to kind of gauge individuals' personalities as best I could.

Assessing regular posters' vibe and unique ways of communicating has allowed me to let more things slide and not take those gray-area posts the wrong way. Sometimes people try to be funny and fail. I'm guilty of that. Cool thing here is that unless you say something truly horrible and egregious, the prevailing attitude is to deal with a topic in its due time and space then move on to the next one.

Even those instances when someone gets blasted for a ridiculous statement, if they roll with it and have a sense of humor it's really not that big of a deal. Again, kind of like face-to-face interactions. If someone has trouble making their point without name-calling, ask them to try again and leave out the insult next time. I've seen that technique work here.

I also agree with bigwrm.

And I feel akin to the sentiment of impacthawk. There's a great amount of variety here, with multiple fora and diverse population. It's totally possible to celebrate our differences while celebrating the Seahawks together. It starts with knowing yourself and doing your best to contribute to the parts of .Net you like while avoiding those you don't.

I'm 40 and starting to realize I am in fact middle-aged. It shows up when my knees hurt more, when I care less about how the beer is going straight to my torso's spare tire, and when I don't fully understand what the younglings are saying online. But I don't sweat it. I like this place for all it is, the good and the bad. Self-reflective threads like this are a big reason why this is ultimately a great meeting place. That goes double when I compare it to other football teams' message boards. *shudder*

I don't feel like I need to be anything other than myself here. I try not to take things too seriously, while maintaining respect for the posters and the work the mods do. It's more fun, entertaining, and informative that way. To paraphrase Guy Fleegman, I'm just jazzed about being on the site, man.

:th2thumbs:

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawk45":2t139r65 said:
Sgt. Largent":2t139r65 said:
sc85sis":2t139r65 said:
One suggestion I would like to submit for consideration is a 24-hour rule on post-game ranting if the Seahawks lose (or just generally don't play well but still eke out a win). That doesn't mean discussion can't continue after 24 hours--simply that the more negatively-toned rants need to stop at that point and more constructive discussion commence.

How are the mods suppose to enforce that?

Isn't that why we come here, to let out our frustrations and do some ranting to blow off steam after losses?

Positive threads and posts are cool too, but so is having a place where as fans we can commiserate and rant.

Also, it seemed Chawker's complaint in the OP had to do with someone giving him the business for ranting on gameday. Enforced quotas on fan angst would seem to be likely to exacerbate the frustration of such a poster, not mitigate it. Let me add that sc85sis is a positive poster who I sense doesn't love negative fan rants, but that her way of handling it by generally continuing to post positively, instead of reacting violently in the negative, is my favorite way to handle things, even if I do disagree with a 24 hour rule.

To me it seems that this thread has become about attempting to eliminate behaviors that are intrinsic to message boards. Everyone shares their bad experience, and the mods are left with 50 different behaviors to address with solutions that will often be in conflict with the solution to a different bad behavior.

I don't like to hear about fans getting turned off by a board, but heavy-handedness in moderation will strangle a board quicker than anything, so it's to be looked on with a jaundiced eye.

I like and endorse the OP's point, before the mod suggestions started coming, which was to exhort board members to behave better themselves, and also to try to roll with the punches if someone else isn't behaving.

Because this board has one of the best balances of moderation vs. freedom of expression I've encountered. I think too much fiddling is making the perfect the enemy of the good.

I couldn't have said it better myself (and I tried)

A board is the sum of all the posters. There will be negative, there will be positive, there will be the logical and the illogical, but in the end, it's all about having a place to talk Seahawks.

The old adage is true...you can please some of the people all of the time or you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time

Edit: I've also found a new signature now for the time being :th2thumbs:

chris98251

Reaction score
I also think that the posters have a responsibility, we have tools here to help them as well.

Agree to disagree and move on.

Use Ignore function.

Report a post.

PM a Mod or if you want Houston Hawk.

We have went from a small town to a city in terms of a Message Board, adjustments and more members create a larger proportion of perceptions and also generational influence as well. Many that were here in the beginning have seen the change and it may not always be comfortable, but change rarely is and things have changed with the amount of members, how our team has performed and the quantity of members., our age difference between our fans is growning broader daily as the team ages as a franchise, that brings a different posting style and mentality also.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawk45":1493n5tj said:
To me it seems that this thread has become about attempting to eliminate behaviors that are intrinsic to message boards. Everyone shares their bad experience, and the mods are left with 50 different behaviors to address with solutions that will often be in conflict with the solution to a different bad behavior..

I've been a member and moderator of a lot of boards over the past 10 years, and I can honestly say this is by far the best run board I've seen, sports or not.

There are general rules that the mods nicely enforce without being jerks.................... and there's the Shack if people want to really let off some steam. Perfect.

No need for new rules or new generalities about what is and isn't acceptable. If someone doesn't like or can't handle some of the negativity, then that's fine, this forum isn't for everybody. But we shouldn't be changing the rules or changing how the large majority of the members interact with each other because a small minority of members feel uncomfortable.

If they'd like a forum like that, hit up the "official" Hawks forum and they'll see just how stale a forum can get when it's rigidly policed.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":r0djo4c0 said:
I've been a member and moderator of a lot of boards over the past 10 years, and I can honestly say this is by far the best run board I've seen, sports or not.

I am a novice, but this is also my impression. They strike the right balance between allowing an open dialogue while discouraging ad hominem attacks.