I think the Seahawks were sniped at 5

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Devon Witherspoon was one of two players they wanted at that 5th pick. Not sure it was a gut punch to land a top 2 player on your draft board.

It's only a gut punch to the people like the OP and others who think we liked AR.

See how that works. "Whatever happens, I can slide the outcome neatly into my own personal narrative that's not based on anything factual."

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You guys are trying way too hard. There's a reason Carter fell to 9. This is going to be a hell of a pick. Just because it's not who YOU wanted them to take, doesn't mean it's a bad draft pick. But minds have been made up. Meh
This team is going to be elite at CB, WR and RB.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Exactly. People literally making stuff up. EXACTLY how I thought it would play out on here. A graded draft, but it's not good enough.
How in the world do ANY of us know who they wanted and/or what was on their board? NONE of us do. None of us.
Definitely they were I'm pretty they wanted Anderson and plan 1B was Richardson but I'm so happy they finally figured it out and went BPA again that's the whole point of the draft. Never draft for need (Houston and Indianapolis) draft BPA (Philadelphia) fill needs by FA.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Definitely they were I'm pretty they wanted Anderson and plan 1B was Richardson but I'm so happy they finally figured it out and went BPA again that's the whole point of the draft. Never draft for need (Houston and Indianapolis) draft BPA (Philadelphia) fill needs by FA.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Also follow your process after Malik McDowell no was Jalen Carter a consideration at 5 and probably not 20 for us.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
I think we did the Sniping at 5, it appears the Lions were expecting to get Witherspoon at 6 and we disguised our interest really well so they didn't think they needed to trade up, having said that if they did we would probably have been able to get Anderson.

As an aside it looks as if the Lions were also sniped with their plan B when the Pats took Christian Gonzales.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
I think this was confirmed but they were hoping for Anderson, but Witherspoon was their 1b option. It was always gonna be one of them.

Mick063

Reaction score
I think this was confirmed but they were hoping for Anderson, but Witherspoon was their 1b option. It was always gonna be one of them.
If they knew that Hall would be available at 37, I think they would have swapped the Anderson pick to move down one slot and still take Witherspoon. They had a first-round grade on Hall. Actually, the draft worked out amazingly well for them.

chris98251

Reaction score
The Media was who was Sniped, John and Pete did like Richardson, but not at 5 nor a day one starter, they looked at every QB pretty much, but also a bunch of players that could help right away at different positions on the teams those QB's played for. Many of you need to see the subterfuge they use, either ignore completely seemingly, sending scouts to look at other players in the feeds to media, visit a higher media profile guy while looking at someone else under the radar, cloak and dagger stuff.

Jac

Reaction score
The Media was who was Sniped, John and Pete did like Richardson, but not at 5 nor a day one starter, they looked at every QB pretty much, but also a bunch of players that could help right away at different positions on the teams those QB's played for. Many of you need to see the subterfuge they use, either ignore completely seemingly, sending scouts to look at other players in the feeds to media, visit a higher media profile guy while looking at someone else under the radar, cloak and dagger stuff.
Who do you think they liked at #5 if Anderson/Witherspoon weren't there and the tradedown wasn't good enough? Somebody had to be on the draft board.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Don't think he was. Otherwise, it wouldn't have taken up so much clock to finally pick him. They fielded calls to trade down and didn't get the value they wanted. Witherspoon was their next best player. But not the player they really wanted with that pick.
But like the OP, isn’t this really just speculation/ your opinion?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Don't think he was. Otherwise, it wouldn't have taken up so much clock to finally pick him. They fielded calls to trade down and didn't get the value they wanted. Witherspoon was their next best player. But not the player they really wanted with that pick.
The NFL slows the pace of picks for the sake of the event on the premium days. Teams that don't need the time still take it.

Behind-the-scenes coverage from Boyle confirms they knew they were picking when Witherspoon made it.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Who do you think they liked at #5 if Anderson/Witherspoon weren't there and the tradedown wasn't good enough? Somebody had to be on the draft board.
Who we're the guys still on the board projected to go in that range?

Wilson
Carter
Gonzalez
Bijan
Skoronski

It could be anyone of those guys.

Last edited:

Okieseahawk

Reaction score
Since we are speculating and offering opinions. I’ve been watching the draft more years than most of you have been alive. Time will tell and ultimately separate fact from fiction. The hawks appear to have another very solid draft based on specific needs. No we didn’t get a future QB this year, but we addressed a lot of issues. Geno will do for another year or two. We are going to have a very exciting secondary. If DW turns out to be a Jack Tatum clone no one will remember who we didn’t draft. AR is a good athlete but so was Andre Ware.

seahawks08

Reaction score
AR was picked by Indy because of years of misery they faced after Luck retired. We are atleast not at that situation yet. If Geno and Lock doesn’t pan out, we would then become desperate and do something similar. Carter landed with a team who just was the best team in NFC. They could take the risk based on where they are talent wise. We couldn’t take that much of a risk that they could afford. It had his risk and high reward written all over it. Just my opinion though, not scientific or insider information access😂

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I’m sure Witherspoon was high on their draft board. He was high on many draft boards and the word is that we sniped him from Detroit.
Remember we did draft Earl Thomas high and he was small for a safety. A small CB is not a deterrent if he’s a baller.

Jac

Reaction score
Who we're the guys still on the board projected to go in that range?

Wilson
Carter
Gonzalez
Bijan
Skoronski

It could be anyone of those guys.
Could have been Richardson too. You're now using the operative word..."could". None of us know.