I think the Seahawks were sniped at 5

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Also follow your process after Malik McDowell no was Jalen Carter a consideration at 5 and probably not 20 for us.

I don't think the Malik McDowell issue was at all on their minds when they took Carter off the boards. Clearly plenty of other teams had him off the boards as well. He had about a billion red flags. Philly with their deep roster could take the chance. If they don't grab him I suspect he falls out of the first round entirely.

BASF

Reaction score

ivotuk

Reaction score
Pete and John said that there were 2 players that they were looking at. The "other" player was Will Anderson, the guy Houston traded a king's ransom to get. imho, AR was NOT in the conversation, and the Colts are going to regret wasting a high pick on an Athlete.

They went to ARs Pro Day, but they went to every Pro day, even though they knew they had no shot at Bryce or CJ. AR was talking after his Pro Day, "I'm just here for my guys, to try and help them out." I don't think Pete or John were impressed with that comment. AR = Malik Willis.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Pete and John said that there were 2 players that they were looking at. The "other" player was Will Anderson, the guy Houston traded a king's ransom to get. imho, AR was NOT in the conversation, and the Colts are going to regret wasting a high pick on an Athlete.

They went to ARs Pro Day, but they went to every Pro day, even though they knew they had no shot at Bryce or CJ. AR was talking after his Pro Day, "I'm just here for my guys, to try and help them out." I don't think Pete or John were impressed with that comment. AR = Malik Willis.
I think AR is a much better prospect than Malik Willis to be fair.

The issue with Richardson, is his limited experience as a starter. 13 total starts in college. He needs to play. Plain & simple. There's no point in having him sit because he's not going to improve much by sitting on the bench. He needs live game reps. The only way he's going to get that is by playing. He'll get that opportunity in Indianapolis.

The team could have taken him, had he been available & had him sit for a year or two behind Geno. But again, it wouldn't have done much good. I think John, Pete & the FO realized this. Decided instead, to go with who they thought was the best player on their board. Someone who could help the team immediately & have an impact right away.

Ultimately, I think AR will be a good starting NFL QB. But he needed to go to a situation that would allow him to step in & play. As well as a team that would demonstrate patience. The Colts fit that description imo.

Trey Lance was a prospect that had less than two years of college starting experience, and we've seen how a lack of playing time over his first two years, has hurt his development. There have even been rumors that SF is all but ready to move on from him, despite the significant investment on their part.

In comparison, Russ had 50 college starts over a 4 year period.

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
You guys are trying way too hard. There's a reason Carter fell to 9. This is going to be a hell of a pick. Just because it's not who YOU wanted them to take, doesn't mean it's a bad draft pick. But minds have been made up. Meh
This team is going to be elite at CB, WR and RB.
We could be tempted if Carter was there at #20? Or we will make a louder statement by passing on Carter again at #20.

nepahawk

Reaction score
If they were sniped, then yes, I agree they should have moved up to get him. But, they decided not to force the issue. Now we still have no long term answer at qbotf. If they grab one in the middle rounds, that doesn't exactly inspire confidence either. And next year we will likely be picking in the 20's. So, not sure what their long term strategy is for qb. No idea whatsoever.
We still have Lock on the roster. We dont really know what they think of his future. He just might be the Qb of the future.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I really think the Seahawks were targeting Will Anderson or Anthony Richardson at 5. The Seahawks targeting a smallish CB at 5 is so far outside of the norm for this teams philosophy. (I'm not saying they don't really really like this guy obviously they do).
For me AR being taken by Indy was a real gut punch and I bet it was for the Seahawks as well.
The Lions were sniped. Witherspoon is the best football player in the draft

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
The Lions were sniped. Witherspoon is the best football player in the draft
The Lions were definitely targeting Witherspoon. I hope Witherspoon is great and just for context I made this post right after the first round.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I don't think the Malik McDowell issue was at all on their minds when they took Carter off the boards. Clearly plenty of other teams had him off the boards as well. He had about a billion red flags. Philly with their deep roster could take the chance. If they don't grab him I suspect he falls out of the first round entirely.
You have a point but like to think they have learned never draft for need go BPA and improve organically and do FA for upgrades to weak spots.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
IMO, Seattle had to generate buzz about their interest in Richardson to ensure that Indi would stay at 4 and take him. With two players targeted at 5 (Anderson and Witherspoon) and the assumption that picks 1 and 2 would be two QBs, Indi staying at 4 and taking Richardson guarantees Seattle gets one of their two players. That's my head canon for how this played out anyhow. 😎

Mad Dog

Reaction score
You have a point but like to think they have learned never draft for need go BPA and improve organically and do FA for upgrades to weak spots.

I hope they've learned that the first round is for BPA at premium positions, second round for BPA at non-premium positions and 3rd-4th round is for filling needs and 5-7th round is for getting special teamers, with he occasional lucky hit (Kam, Sherm, Woolen, Carson)

chris98251

Reaction score
Well they also use their notes to target guys when they become free agents or get cut as far as visits, so if he gets released at some point they have a baseline and can measure if he has shown growth.