I dont understand the optimism after an "almost win"?

StoneCold

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2df2ukhi said:
StoneCold":2df2ukhi said:
What if we refer to it as a morale victory?

Be careful, you're going to get yelled at for being the only person who talks about this.

Check the spelling.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
StoneCold":a6l2quw9 said:
Sgt. Largent":a6l2quw9 said:
StoneCold":a6l2quw9 said:

Be careful, you're going to get yelled at for being the only person who talks about this.

Check the spelling.

I got the joke, both words are similar in meaning with what we're talking about. Carry on.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Thread title: "I dont understand the optimism after an "almost win"?"

Reply: Then it can't be explained to you. I'm sorry for your basic outlook on life, it must be hard to be like that.

toffee

Reaction score
GeekHawk":23h3sn6d said:
Thread title: "I dont understand the optimism after an "almost win"?"

Reply: Then it can't be explained to you. I'm sorry for your basic outlook on life, it must be hard to be like that.

This!!

Seahawk

Reaction score
StoneCold":1dj6f8g6 said:

This is what it was for me. I expected the Hawks to get owned by the Rams, but what I saw was really a boost for me as a Fan.

StoneCold word play FTW!

StoneCold

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1eijm3wc said:
StoneCold":1eijm3wc said:
Sgt. Largent":1eijm3wc said:
StoneCold":1eijm3wc said:

Check the spelling.

I got the joke, both words are similar in meaning with what we're talking about. Carry on.

I think the difference, while not great, is very clear. One is a worthless participation trophy, the other makes me feel better about upcoming games. Perhaps that's splitting hairs, but it seems relevant to the discussion of the value of a "good loss".

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
StoneCold":12e9g244 said:
Sgt. Largent":12e9g244 said:
StoneCold":12e9g244 said:
Sgt. Largent":12e9g244 said:

Check the spelling.

I think the difference, while not great, is very clear. One is a worthless participation trophy, the other makes me feel better about upcoming games. Perhaps that's splitting hairs, but it seems relevant to the discussion of the value of a "good loss".

I can't speak for the players themselves, but as a fan, I felt very different in this loss to the Rams than I did last year when we were blown out, and as has been said, our game against the Cardinals. The loss stings, but the growth of the o-line and running game speaks volumes about where we're headed.

We don't just have the "potential" to run the ball now, we are actually doing it. That matters. A lot. I don't know the stats, but it feels like we have more rushing yards from RBs already than we had all of last season. If Russ is a bit lame, just wait until he gets right, and can actually keep the RO! Then, a few bootlegs with TE passes. . . this team is actually fun to watch again.

Last year, we lost a number of close games, as well, but this team feels a bit tougher, more physical. Just listening to the players post-game interviews, they seem heartened. That means morale will indeed be higher, and they'll play better.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
StoneCold":3cyyj7kr said:
Sgt. Largent":3cyyj7kr said:
StoneCold":3cyyj7kr said:
Sgt. Largent":3cyyj7kr said:

Check the spelling.

I'll only agree to a "good loss" if it leads to good wins. Right now it's just a loss.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1nvunz3x said:
StoneCold":1nvunz3x said:
Sgt. Largent":1nvunz3x said:
StoneCold":1nvunz3x said:
Check the spelling.

I'll only agree to a "good loss" if it leads to good wins. Right now it's just a loss.

Are you in the bathtub? You sound like you have more soap in your hole than hope in your soul. :irishdrinkers:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
StoneCold":2erlk9nz said:
Sgt. Largent":2erlk9nz said:
StoneCold":2erlk9nz said:
Sgt. Largent":2erlk9nz said:

Are you in the bathtub? You sound like you have more soap in your hole than hope in your soul. :irishdrinkers:

I like a clean hole, what can I say.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2f7uwnwq said:
StoneCold":2f7uwnwq said:
Sgt. Largent":2f7uwnwq said:
StoneCold":2f7uwnwq said:
Check the spelling.

I'm actually with Sarge on this one. You don't mess with the word "victory" or even "good" when describing a Loss. That is what it boils down to for me at least.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Seymour":2f5x5vet said:
Sgt. Largent":2f5x5vet said:
StoneCold":2f5x5vet said:
Sgt. Largent":2f5x5vet said:

I'm actually with Sarge on this one. You don't mess with the word "victory" or even "good" when describing a Loss. That is what it boils down to for me at least.

I would expect nothing less than black and white thinking from a man with x-ray vision.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
There's been so much negativity around here for a couple years now, just let us enjoy our loss

Chapow

Reaction score
Ya know, after giving this a little more thought I think this was a really good loss and was a real moral victory for the team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chapow":1rumoav6 said:
Ya know, after giving this a little more thought I think this was a really good loss and was a real moral victory for the team.

I changed my mind too...........just saying the words "moral victory" makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Like everything's gonna be OK, no matter how many games we lose this year.

Cause we can always look fondly back on a game we almost won at home against a really good team. Ahh, those were the days lads! The good times! The day we were morally victorious!!!

SEA.............................HAWKS!
SEA.............................HAWKS!

Seymour

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1si90zq0 said:
You're right. We should all go drink poison now.

There is a JimJones on here somewhere. Possibly he could hook you guys up. Us free thinkers will take a pass and help with the arrangements. :179422:

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Okay I have to ask you guys:

Would you rather watch the Seahawks/Cardinals game again or the Seahawks/Rams game again? You have to choose.

I get not believing in moral victories but IMO the Seahawks were a better team playing the Rams than they were the Cardinals. And while that doesn't show up in the win column, if it were me I would be at least somewhat encouraged.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Ramfan128":3cms3tpv said:
Okay I have to ask you guys:

Would you rather watch the Seahawks/Cardinals game again or the Seahawks/Rams game again? You have to choose.

I get not believing in moral victories but IMO the Seahawks were a better team playing the Rams than they were the Cardinals. And while that doesn't show up in the win column, if it were me I would be at least somewhat encouraged.

For the life of me I don't understand how anyone can't see there are positive takeaways from that game.

Seymour

Reaction score
I would prefer to help with the refreshments at the Rams viewing. :D