I dont understand the optimism after an "almost win"?

Seymour

Reaction score
StoneCold":4ej7a9iz said:
Ramfan128":4ej7a9iz said:
Okay I have to ask you guys:

Would you rather watch the Seahawks/Cardinals game again or the Seahawks/Rams game again? You have to choose.

I get not believing in moral victories but IMO the Seahawks were a better team playing the Rams than they were the Cardinals. And while that doesn't show up in the win column, if it were me I would be at least somewhat encouraged.

For the life of me I don't understand how anyone can't see there are positive takeaways from that game.

There were plenty!

Just no moral victories or good losses.

A shitty loss we let slip away that showed promise on offense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
StoneCold":3dpxnhh3 said:
Ramfan128":3dpxnhh3 said:

Would you rather watch the Seahawks/Cardinals game again or the Seahawks/Rams game again? You have to choose.

I get not believing in moral victories but IMO the Seahawks were a better team playing the Rams than they were the Cardinals. And while that doesn't show up in the win column, if it were me I would be at least somewhat encouraged.

For the life of me I don't understand how anyone can't see there are positive takeaways from that game.

There are, and I've said in other threads I saw a lot of encouraging things.

Just not down with certain loser talk like "moral victory"........."almost win" or "good loss."

No such thing in pro sports. So yeah it's semantics, but it's important to differentiate between winner speak and loser speak.........and any coach or player would bristle at the term "moral victory."

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
What I saw that was the great take away was that Seattle, a team with an offense that has been a dumpster fire for years and nothing to brag about this year, played great in this game. Scoring 31 points on a Rams team that are a juggernaut on Offense and Defense. All Seattle's defense had to do was stop one of their scoring drives, or Fluker not to get a hold call and this is a Seattle win.

If Seattle's offense can come into every week like they did with the Rams then that is the positive outlook that I think everyone is referring too. A loss is a loss, no matter what, but if the Offense finally gets it act together and plays like they did then we're looking at a lot more interesting season for the Hawks.

Chapow

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":359ukifa said:
StoneCold":359ukifa said:
Ramfan128":359ukifa said:

Just not down with certain loser talk like "moral victory"........."almost win" or "good loss."

No such thing in pro sports. So yeah it's semantics, but it's important to differentiate between winner speak and loser speak.........and any coach or player would bristle at the term "moral victory."

Seems like it would be a real moral victory for you if we all learned how to differentiate between winner speak and loser speak on this here internet message board.

Anyway, please continue arguing fervently against a term nobody was using other than you and the OP. It's super weird at this point but also somewhat fascinating.

kobebryant

Reaction score
The prime example of a good loss that always comes to mind is the New York Giants losing 38-35 in the last week of the regular season to the juggernaut 2007 Patriots that went 16-0. Showed em that they could hang with them and knew they had what it took to beat them, even though they lost. A month later they beat them in the Super Bowl.

Seymour

Reaction score
Chapow":2r8rc9hk said:
Sgt. Largent":2r8rc9hk said:
StoneCold":2r8rc9hk said:
Ramfan128":2r8rc9hk said:

Seems like it would be a real moral victory for you if we all learned how to differentiate between winner speak and loser speak on this here internet message board.

Anyway, please continue arguing fervently against a term nobody was using other than you and the OP. It's super weird at this point but also somewhat fascinating.

Agree......very fascinating Bones!

740069587927033177900fa7d8a6f83b

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chapow":32dxom7n said:
Sgt. Largent":32dxom7n said:
StoneCold":32dxom7n said:
Ramfan128":32dxom7n said:

You're forgetting the voices in my head, there's at least 12-24 of those going depending on time of day.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
any coach would bristle at moral victory (which again, no one on here said).

But, while no coach would publicly say "good loss" any good coach can see the positives in a loss and go from there. if the Seahawks had loss to the Cardinals, for example, i'm not sure there's much "good" in that loss.

But in this one? I'd be hard pressed to believe PC is not looking at what his team did for 60 minutes with one of the best team's in the year's NFL and thinking he's got a lot of good to take from it... even in a loss.

Its semantics, sure...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3oh97ewc said:

But, while no coach would publicly say "good loss" any good coach can see the positives in a loss and go from there. if the Seahawks had loss to the Cardinals, for example, i'm not sure there's much "good" in that loss.

But in this one? I'd be hard pressed to believe PC is not looking at what his team did for 60 minutes with one of the best team's in the year's NFL and thinking he's got a lot of good to take from it... even in a loss.

Its semantics, sure...

Totally agree.........but like I said, only if it leads to wins and continued success with whatever Pete deems those positives were.

If we go 1-5 the next six games, no one's looking back on this game as a good loss, almost win or whatever backhanded superlative floats your boat.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1non1t3e said:
Uncle Si":1non1t3e said:

Its semantics, sure...

Totally agree.........but like I said, only if it leads to wins and continued success with whatever Pete deems those positives were.

If we go 1-5 the next six games, no one's looking back on this game as a good loss, almost win or whatever backhanded superlative floats your boat.

That's just crazy talk. This Morale boost will keep me going for 4 or 5 losses at least.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
Image the locker room after the Rams loss....enough said.

Now re-imagine if we had attempted the FG, for the team, win or lose, you get a sense of "we gave it our best".

For the locker room it's the SB pass play all over again.

We always hear players talking about moving on to the next game but the atmosphere it creates in a locker room will linger on.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
We got our running mojo back again. Finally!

What's NOT to be optimistic about? If we can continue with this Ground Chuck mindset, I could care less about W-L this season. Of course I want the Hawks to make the playoffs and win the Superb Owl. But if that doesn't happen, then I'll settle for second best---that we have a dominating run game again. RB yac floats my boat!

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
The optimism comes from a resurrected running game with Carson and Davis breathing life into an offense that wasn't good at all . Carson is on pace for an all pro year and Davis looks great to so there's hope on offense for the first time in over a year. On defense there better than I thought they would be and have some good young talent in the D-line and in the secondary. Pete and John are on there way to rebuilding this thing it's on a good trajectory if they kill it next draft and avoid the dreaded first round bust.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1ayj6qek said:
The optimism comes from a resurrected running game with Carson and Davis breathing life into an offense that wasn't good at all . Carson is on pace for an all pro year and Davis looks great to so there's hope on offense for the first time in over a year. On defense there better than I thought they would be and have some good young talent in the D-line and in the secondary. Pete and John are on there way to rebuilding this thing it's on a good trajectory if they kill it next draft and avoid the dreaded first round bust.

Woah in a league with Gurley, Zeke, and Kamara, that's pretty bold.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":33ytvytd said:
Northwest Seahawk":33ytvytd said:

Woah in a league with Gurley, Zeke, and Kamara, that's pretty bold.

4.6 YPC that's elite if he can keep that going he will be in the conversation I never said he would be chosen just that he's playing at an all pro level and he is.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I checked last year's all pro team and it was Gurley and Lev, the former of whom had 2000+ scrimmage yards and 19 TDs with 4.7 ypc in 15 games and the latter had 1946 scrim yards and 11 TDs with 4.0 ypc. In 2016 it was Zeke (1994 scrim yards and 16 TDs at 5.1 ypc) and DJ (2118 scrim yards and 20 TDs at 4.2 ypc). Carson's got a good ypc number especially compared to DJ and Bell. He has to sustain that for more than two games though

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Aros":3a2j50n8 said:
Seymour":3a2j50n8 said:

Damn, I must have missed that episode!

That is cruel...I am gonna have to go back thru them all again. Hope my DVD player can handle it. Heck...that may be on Renegades.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
THE TABS":3ubx2ir2 said:
Aros":3ubx2ir2 said:
Because with all the warts, some that you listed, you can plainly see growth and what is to come. This team is no bottom feeder, cellar dweller. They are on the rise. The running game is back. That will allow Russ to be Russ again. The OL is showing a tenacity and toughness I haven't seen in years. The defense - while certainly no LOB Era - is full of young pups who are learning their way and I feel are going to be very, very good players.

Like I just watched on Good Morning Football, they said...

"Don't sleep on Seattle."

You're damn right. Even my girlfriend Kay Adams said something to the effect of how I feel which is why do I feel so good about Seattle after a loss?

Because you can see the beginning of what is to come. It's 2012 all over again.

2012? I’d say more like 2010.

This is a team clearly in transition, not uptrending, and that’s ON the field. On the sidelines is a whole different story. PC’s terrible game management issues cost us again, and schematicly speaking, we’ve become dinosaurs on both sides of the ball.

Now, offensively, we played pretty damn good yesterday. For once, we didn’t allow Aaron Donald to single handedly destroy our offense, which was nice to see. We got into 3rd and manageables and converted them. However, when we were in obvious passing situations, we did struggle, per usual. My worst fears about BS have been confirmed; this offense isn’t on par with the rest of the league.

Same with the defense. The scheme is stale and predictable, with a lot less talent than we’ve had in the past. We got destroyed on the intermediate routes all day. The Rams lost their top two receivers in the second half, but we couldn’t even force a punt! They executed without skipping a beat.

I feel like the league is passing us by, and that the changes we made this past offseason weren’t enough. Unless Pete is willing to give up some power, and I doubt he would, then it’s time to move on for him, for the betterment of the franchise, and bring in an innovative offensive mind to take back what we’ve lost.

It's funny how these same sort of things were said about us in 2013. Our defense was simplistic and we couldn't hold up to the best offence football had ever seen. Then 43-8 happened. And then everyone tried to build our "simple" defense.

The game has not passed the coaches by. We are and always will be a defense oriented team. That's Pete's specialty so he will build that kind of team. And those kinds of teams win in December. The Chiefs and Rams are built to win in September and October.

In the words of the great Aaron Rodgers R_E_L_A_X. Let Pete do his thing and evaluate the finished product before throwing him and the team under the bus.

adeltaY

Reaction score
We had the number 1 scoring defense the year prior and were popular picks to make the SB in 2013, along with Denver.

Saying the Rams and Chiefs are built to win in September and not the playoffs seems like rationalisation or hopefulness to me. They're the best teams in the league until proven otherwise. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them fell off though, it's certainly not a foreign scenario for the Chiefs

Latest posts