How much will Russell's contract be?

The Radish

Reaction score
And please remember endorsements is money the player takes with him anywhere Wilson could leave and Levi would continue paying him a million a year for wearing their jeans. Frankly I like the way his wife looks in those jeans. lol

And lets please not use our personal thinking to say what another person would do. Sure I'd stay here in the Northwest if I could but I'm thinkin Richard Sherman as much as I love him will say "Show me the money" and I can't truly blame him.

Other teams fanbase hating him? Bullroar, as soon as he puts on their uniform he's their newest bestest friend.

Years ago our local Hockey club took on a guy named Gale Holden. He had gone as far in school as he could in BC and was studying to be an attorney so came to Spokane to attend Gonzaga and play for the Spokane Flyers. His nickname was knobby because he was always instigating never still. If the team was being slow and sloppy he'd start hitting guys all over the ice and he was a little guy.

We had hated him all those years he played in Nelson but the minute he became a Spokane Flyer we loved him. All those things we hated about him as another teams player we loved as our teams player.

So moving wouldn't be so bad.

:les:

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1ise3unv said:
Penman96":1ise3unv said:
OK this is a little over the top, but let's say for example next time I have a job review and I get a choice to make between;

$15 million a year, for about 8 years, plus huge local endorsements
Live here where I'm loved and comfortable
Have a job I love where my boss is awesome
I'm on a "team" where my objective is usually achieved, where I'm a celebrated leader in the media
I get multiple rings from winning the biggest championship in sports
I'm a household name and HOF'er, and can make endorsements and run charities for the rest of my life when I retire

and;

$20 million a year, for 4 or 5 years, plus few local endorsements
Live in Cleveland where I have start over
Have an unstable job I don't know if I'll like, and I'm a goat in the media for not winning and costing too much
I'm on a "team" where I'm not winning and getting hammered
I win nothing ever again and retire in relative anonymity...

I'll just stay here :)

I didn't know Cleveland would be the only team to want to sign RW. I think there are about half the teams in the league that would drop their starting QB for RW (maybe more) and at a cost equal to Joe Flacco? HAHAHA!

He doesn't have to live in Cleveland.
He wouldn't have a more unstable job than here in Seattle.
What makes you think they would continue to lose with RW as starting QB?
He's already a Super Bowl champion, won't ever be anonymous.

He could also:
Join a team that is maybe a QB away from a championship.
Get paid millions of dollars every year more than your ridiculous idea of what to pay a SB winning QB
Get the same endorsements (plenty of national ones) and depending on the market might even be more notable.
He could turn an average franchise into a great franchise by being their leader.

RW isn't an idiot. Stop trying to suggest as much.

Let's not forget he could sign with a team that won't marginalize his stats by being a 'run-first' team.

Except this team allready IS built for a championship. Im not saying he should be paid peanuts but its really up to him what he wants his legacy to be. Ya sure he can take a few more million but I think his best chance to win multiple superbowls would be right here as long as John and Pete are here. Just by winning one superbowl he is on the cusp of a legend in Seattle and one of the best seattle athletes of all time. Getting another 1-2 would put him as godlike status in Seattle. I hope he realizes how good he has it in Seattle with this defense we have assembled.

Along with that all I hear is how great this franchise is with Pete, how they treat the players amazing. How they go above and beyond other organizations. How this is like a family and YOU KNOW the fans in Seattle are unlike any other fans in the entire country. We had tons of people line up after a LOSS last year to greet the team. That parade is going to be INSANE wednesday

Then of course his charity work that he is heavily involved in as well

Having said all that....I wont be upset with whatever he gets paid because I love the man. He brought home that Trophy and I think he is one of the best QBs in the entire league and he is STILL underrated it should be criminal. Wilson will ALWAYS be my favorite seahawk QB and I dont think anyone else will ever pass him up.

theascension

Reaction score
He will never ever take 20 a year. He will take a surprisingly large pay cut. Haven't any of you ever read twitter? He often makes posts of how little money really means to him. I'd say 10-12 possible even lower but it will be a very long (decade?) contract I think.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":2n13ai0c said:
Except this team allready IS built for a championship. Im not saying he should be paid peanuts but its really up to him what he wants his legacy to be. Ya sure he can take a few more million but I think his best chance to win multiple superbowls would be right here as long as John and Pete are here. Just by winning one superbowl he is on the cusp of a legend in Seattle and one of the best seattle athletes of all time. Getting another 1-2 would put him as godlike status in Seattle. I hope he realizes how good he has it in Seattle with this defense we have assembled.

Along with that all I hear is how great this franchise is with Pete, how they treat the players amazing. How they go above and beyond other organizations. How this is like a family and YOU KNOW the fans in Seattle are unlike any other fans in the entire country. We had tons of people line up after a LOSS last year to greet the team. That parade is going to be INSANE wednesday

Having said all that....I wont be upset with whatever he gets paid because I love the man. He brought home that Trophy and I think he is one of the best QBs in the entire league and he is STILL underrated it should be criminal. Wilson will ALWAYS be my favorite seahawk QB and I dont think anyone else will ever pass him up.

All this is wonderful 'rah rah' that's not based in reality. He can do charity work anywhere in the country. He can still be a great person who helps teams win championships and get paid what he deserves.

The fact is, Seattle is going to pay him what he's worth because he deserves it and you can't let him go.

Teqneek

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2li2dx0p said:
hieroglyphics":2li2dx0p said:
The question is, say Russell takes $13 million/year, saving the team money to spend on keeping defensive players, Seattle keeps winning, adding another SB or two, surely Wilson does better in endorsements each year winning more Superbowls than an extra $4 million/year in his contract. He could get Manning/Brady type endorsements, becoming a major public face for the NFL, in fact, he could be THE face of the NFL over the next several years with continued, sustained success. Manning made $12 million in endorsements last year, Brady made $7 million. Tony Romo makes $18 million a year in salary but takes home barely anything in endorsements, because he NEVER wins.

What I'm happy about is while Sherman and Wilson will get their pay day, they are smart enough to realize their image and in turn, endorsement deals, benefit from being on a successful team. Maybe each one makes $3 million more in endorsement deals than they would in their contract solely on being with a successful team.

You take the money when it's available to you. Sherman and Wilson both understand they could have a career ending injury tomorrow and all that hopeful endorsement money is gone.

..... Shermans already explained how to manage your money... UNderstand they could have career ending injury tomorrow so after the XX millions in money they get for the promised portion.. Man they will be so hard off.. I might have to give them to shirt off my back

This is why I root for this sport to the extent I can without being disgusted by most of the greedy ass americans in this game. Cuz after the season, these people mean nothing to me.

THey make millions to play an entertainment game.. no.. not a sport.. its an entertainment industry. So frankly, they can take their millions of dollars and go play for whoever they want. I don't honestly respect any of them.. period..

As a normal working joe they may be cool people, but the fad the world has with overpaying for some the dumbest jobs in the world, is beyond me

Penman96

Reaction score
My point (over the top, like I said) is Wilson would stay here for less short term money to be on a winner. I'm not suggesting Wilson is stupid, I'm suggesting he's smart. I'm suggesting he's not mercenary.

Brady makes about $13 million / year, he could probably make $10 million a year more. Do you think he's stupid? It happens with winning teams, and it will happen in Seattle given we have a SuperBowl win and seem have become a marquee destination.

Teams who are paying QB's $20 million / year are sacrificing too much money on a single player, and I hope we don't pay anyone that much. However, I think we will find a point where Russ can stay here, without taking so much of the cap it starts handicapping our team.

All will become clear in a year and a few months...

Teqneek

Reaction score
SonicHawk":vmgkndkc said:
WilsonMVP":vmgkndkc said:

All this is wonderful 'rah rah' that's not based in reality. He can do charity work anywhere in the country. He can still be a great person who helps teams win championships and get paid what he deserves.

The fact is, Seattle is going to pay him what he's worth because he deserves it and you can't let him go.

What he deserves... this again why this whole subject is disgusting and laughable.... deserves? He DESERVES 20 million dollars? Really? WTF

SonicHawk

Reaction score
theascension":3n8obz6v said:
He will never ever take 20 a year. He will take a surprisingly large pay cut. Haven't any of you ever read twitter? He often makes posts of how little money really means to him. I'd say 10-12 possible even lower but it will be a very long (decade?) contract I think.

You're out of your mind.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Penman96":23vriwh2 said:
My point (over the top, like I said) is Wilson would stay here for less short term money to be on a winner. I'm not suggesting Wilson is stupid, I'm suggesting he's smart. I'm suggesting he's not mercenary.

Brady makes about $13 million / year, he could probably make $10 million a year more. Do you think he's stupid? It happens with winning teams, and it will happen in Seattle given we have a SuperBowl win and seem have become a marquee destination.

Teams who are paying QB's $20 million / year are sacrificing too much money on a single player, and I hope we don't pay anyone that much. However, I think we will find a point where Russ can stay here, without taking so much of the cap it starts handicapping our team.

All will become clear in a year and a few months...

His entire deal is basically guaranteed plus $30M signing bonus. Tom Brady took less money to have it all guaranteed. At his age that's a genius move. He's literally guaranteed a $10M paycheck until he's 40 years old

Peyton Manning gets paid 19.2M

$13M a year would literally be equal to the salaries of Sam Bradford. YOU ARE GOING TO PAY RUSSELL WILSON IN 2015 WHAT SAM BRADFORD IS BEING PAID IN 2013?

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Teqneek":1cnz6zqr said:
What he deserves... this again why this whole subject is disgusting and laughable.... deserves? He DESERVES 20 million dollars? Really? WTF

Yes, he probably deserves more. He has the #1 selling jersey in the NFL, he led his team to the Super Bowl and won --- The reason why he deserves $20M and we don't should be obvious to you.

MrCarey

Reaction score
The Radish":kzynggye said:
You folks really tickle me.

I just said in another string.

Peyton Manning got $17.6 million last season for LOSING in the same SuperB owl Russell Wilson JUST WON!

So he should take less money than someone he just out played? Get a grip. And if we win another next season? Then we're really up against it. His agent will say,,,,,,"I can get you A-Rod money if you go somewhere else. And I will guarantee you if that happens and he can get $25 million a year with 4-5 years of it guaranteed,,,,he's gone even if its Cleveland and he'd be stupid not to. He can move back to Seattle after 4-5 years and enjoy the rest of his life here.

He should get fair money for his value, home discount or no. It could very well be his last chance to make big money to last him a lifetime. I'm not going to ask he give it back to us just because of just because.

Tell you what,,,next time you're up for a job review tell the boss you don't need that extra money so why doesn't he just keep it and help someone else on the work team your working with.

And will everyone stop talking about how much money Paul Allen has. His worth has no effect on players salarys. Salary cap is salary cap.

Now I do think Paul Allen spends money on lots of people to be going to colleges watching players upcoming and seeing some that aren't on college radar. That's one of the ways Gonzaga finds silver rated players, they have a great scouting network. they have to do that because a gold player is visable to all teams and trust me almost to a man if a player has a choice between Gonzaga and say Duke, they will take Duke every time because Duke can do more for the player nationally. Mark Few would agree with me. that's why they have such a great scouting team in place.

Same with Seattle. To keep this going at this level Pete is probably going to have to find more blue chip players that other teams ignore like he did to make this team.

The most sensible post in this thread.

smerfy01

Reaction score
Russ is a smart guy. There are NOT that many teams out there where he would excel. He's a competitor more than anything and he has something to prove. He's a guy that wants to build a legacy.

He's getting paid no matter what, but the question is how much and from where.

I think he's gonna take a long contract here, probably 8 years and 100 million. A good 30 of that guaranteed with signing bonuses and performance bonuses in the contract.

He's not gonna want 15, 20 million a year because that means that his team will be that much less competitive. Not only that but he doesn't want to leave here. What other atmosphere could he go to and experience the love and support that he receives from not only us, but the entire organization?

This organization believes in him. The fans believe in him. This whole area loves him and has loved him since the 2012 preseason. He's gonna get endorsement deals all over the place, but when it comes down to it...I just don't see him playing anywhere else and I don't think he does either.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
smerfy01":tb4kd9nt said:
Russ is a smart guy. There are NOT that many teams out there where he would excel. He's a competitor more than anything and he has something to prove. He's a guy that wants to build a legacy.

He's getting paid no matter what, but the question is how much and from where.

I think he's gonna take a long contract here, probably 8 years and 100 million. A good 30 of that guaranteed with signing bonuses and performance bonuses in the contract.

He's not gonna want 15, 20 million a year because that means that his team will be that much less competitive. Not only that but he doesn't want to leave here. What other atmosphere could he go to and experience the love and support that he receives from not only us, but the entire organization?

This organization believes in him. The fans believe in him. This whole area loves him and has loved him since the 2012 preseason. He's gonna get endorsement deals all over the place, but when it comes down to it...I just don't see him playing anywhere else and I don't think he does either.

You're right. Joe Flacco, Aaron Rodgers & Peyton Manning are selfish a-holes who took huge 18-22M a year contracts because they didn't care whether their team won or not. Russell Wilson would be beloved by any fanbase he goes to. You don't think they wouldn't adore him in Cleveland or in Jacksonville or Chicago? He's the top selling jersey in the league, he's loved everywhere. There's 30 teams in this league that would to have him as their starting QB and 32 fanbases that would love him as much as we do.

You think he's going to take millions of dollars less per year because he's a 'nice guy' and naive as well?

Paying Wilson will be something the Seahawks must and will do gratefully. We have the league's richest owner, we have a GM and coach who understand that at some point we will have to spend that money on RW.

You also aren't going to give him an 8 or 10 year contract. Why would you do that? Aaron Rodgers got 5 years, so did Matt Ryan Flacco (for some stupid reason) got 6. You don't give ANYONE a 10 year contract. This is football, people get injured, people fall off.

We just won a Super Bowl and we want to repeat and use the same core guys but it's just not going to happen. If we win next year it will be because of our ability to replace the men we've lost and be lucky the ones we keep continue to perform.

themunn

Reaction score
Wilson has made a point (many times) that he wants to go down as the best of all time.
He will be well aware that he needs to win (at least) 5 Superbowls for that regardless of performance aside from that, and that hamstringing the team for money can pretty much rule it out.

He is a smart enough guy to get PAID, but not greedy.
Remember, you've got guys like Eli and Ben who have more rings than any other QB of the last 20 years not named Tom Brady, on 90m and 97.5m over 6 years.

He's likely to get something similar. Remember, year 4 he is getting under 1m still, year 5 he can be franchised for around 15m and then again for 17.5m in year 6. All without the benefit of long-term security.

so if Seattle offer him 90m over 6 years instead, he would need to get OVER 60m over the first 3 years under the other contract in order to "break even" as such.
In all likelihood, given he is still young, after next year he'll be 26, Seattle offer him 100-110m over 7 years. He gets the 15m a year average for a top 10 QB (remember, the average in any given year for a top 5 QB is about 15m, even though the actual average salary for a top 5 QB is higher, due to the way their cap hits are generally structured), and we have our guy tied up for a long time.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
themunn":5pzzy3ht said:
Wilson has made a point (many times) that he wants to go down as the best of all time.
He will be well aware that he needs to win (at least) 5 Superbowls for that regardless of performance aside from that, and that hamstringing the team for money can pretty much rule it out.

He is a smart enough guy to get PAID, but not greedy.
Remember, you've got guys like Eli and Ben who have more rings than any other QB of the last 20 years not named Tom Brady, on 90m and 97.5m over 6 years.

He's likely to get something similar. Remember, year 4 he is getting under 1m still, year 5 he can be franchised for around 15m and then again for 17.5m in year 6. All without the benefit of long-term security.

so if Seattle offer him 90m over 6 years instead, he would need to get OVER 60m over the first 3 years under the other contract in order to "break even" as such.
In all likelihood, given he is still young, after next year he'll be 26, Seattle offer him 100-110m over 7 years. He gets the 15m a year average for a top 10 QB (remember, the average in any given year for a top 5 QB is about 15m, even though the actual average salary for a top 5 QB is higher, due to the way their cap hits are generally structured), and we have our guy tied up for a long time.

My guess would be somewhere around 6/110 if we're lucky. He will get top 5 money because he's a top 5 QB.

I don't know where you guys are getting this whole 'greed' comment from. He deserves to get paid like the elite QB he is. He's young, he hasn't made money like the other guys and led his team to a Super Bowl.

justafan

Reaction score
Players like Wilson and Sherman earned the right to ask for top dollar.They are not going to leave 20 or 30 million on the table because seattle is a cool place to play.
These players have an opportunity to change the lives and futures of their families for generations to come.You dont think Sherman wil think about where he grew up and where his future kids,grandkids or even great grand kids will live or if they will be able to go to college.They have a responsibility to leave a legacy for their family that is more important than their football legacy.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
SonicHawk":38jyod0g said:
Teqneek":38jyod0g said:

Yes, he probably deserves more. He has the #1 selling jersey in the NFL, he led his team to the Super Bowl and won --- The reason why he deserves $20M and we don't should be obvious to you.

Tecneek thinks RW (a top performing qb in history) deserves his current contract. :roll:
Good thing SonicHawk and the Radish are here to represent the smart reasonable folks.

Its not about greed when you are making 30x less than you guys like Flacco not to mention many of those players you are leading and motivating. He has hinted a desire to redo his current contract so to say he doesn't care about money is wrong.
Good thing John Schneider has a clue as to what RW really deserves. We got RW on a HUGE discount now and he is the most crucial piece moving forward. We paid good money for Harvin, Miller and Rice at their positions for doing substantially less. Many teams like Minnesota have suffered poor qb play and are desperate for a young proven leader who will bring his infectious optimism and smarts as well as his marketability.

McGruff

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":128vtum9 said:
$12/year?

Wonder if Seattle will do a deal where they guarantee a higher percentage of the deal in exchange for less per year.

You are dreaming. $20 million minimum.

6 years, 125 million.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
The Radish":34zlut4c said:
You folks really tickle me.

I just said in another string.

Peyton Manning got $17.6 million last season for LOSING in the same SuperB owl Russell Wilson JUST WON!

So he should take less money than someone he just out played? Get a grip. And if we win another next season? Then we're really up against it. His agent will say,,,,,,"I can get you A-Rod money if you go somewhere else. And I will guarantee you if that happens and he can get $25 million a year with 4-5 years of it guaranteed,,,,he's gone even if its Cleveland and he'd be stupid not to. He can move back to Seattle after 4-5 years and enjoy the rest of his life here.

He should get fair money for his value, home discount or no. It could very well be his last chance to make big money to last him a lifetime. I'm not going to ask he give it back to us just because of just because.

Tell you what,,,next time you're up for a job review tell the boss you don't need that extra money so why doesn't he just keep it and help someone else on the work team your working with.

And will everyone stop talking about how much money Paul Allen has. His worth has no effect on players salarys. Salary cap is salary cap.

Now I do think Paul Allen spends money on lots of people to be going to colleges watching players upcoming and seeing some that aren't on college radar. That's one of the ways Gonzaga finds silver rated players, they have a great scouting network. they have to do that because a gold player is visable to all teams and trust me almost to a man if a player has a choice between Gonzaga and say Duke, they will take Duke every time because Duke can do more for the player nationally. Mark Few would agree with me. that's why they have such a great scouting team in place.

Same with Seattle. To keep this going at this level Pete is probably going to have to find more blue chip players that other teams ignore like he did to make this team.

See above.

Penman96

Reaction score
SonicHawk":254x28a1 said:
We just won a Super Bowl and we want to repeat and use the same core guys but it's just not going to happen. If we win next year it will be because of our ability to replace the men we've lost and be lucky the ones we keep continue to perform.

I love our SuperBowl chances next year, we will indeed have pretty much the same team next year as we did this year. Bennett, Tate, and Breno are FA's but we have room to negotiate with Rice's contract and a few others.

This Wilson contract debate just our speculation, he's ours until after the SuperBowl in 2016 on his current contract.

Here's a summary: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... a/5185071/

Latest posts