How do you guys feel about the 2015 team before FA/Draft?

AgentDib

Reaction score
Regarding trading up vs. trading down, consider a couple of options.

#1) DaVante Parker is still on the board at #18 and the Hawks are thinking about trading up to get him. The typical cost to move up would be their second round pick. They would end up with one player after the first two rounds, albeit a player that some here would be really excited about (others not as much).

#2) Hawks do the expected thing where they trade down to #40 and pick up a 4th round pick in return. They end up with Cameron Irving at #40, Nelson Agholor at #63 and David Johnson at #104. (Players selected only as an example).

How likely is it that one of those three would end up contributing more than DaVante Parker? If it is 50% or more than it isn't really a quality vs. quantity debate, but rather which is the method that will give you the best shot at quality.

two dog

Reaction score
AgentDib":1msjj9qe said:
Regarding trading up vs. trading down, consider a couple of options.

#1) DaVante Parker is still on the board at #18 and the Hawks are thinking about trading up to get him. The typical cost to move up would be their second round pick. They would end up with one player after the first two rounds, albeit a player that some here would be really excited about (others not as much).

#2) Hawks do the expected thing where they trade down to #40 and pick up a 4th round pick in return. They end up with Cameron Irving at #40, Nelson Agholor at #63 and David Johnson at #104. (Players selected only as an example).

How likely is it that one of those three would end up contributing more than DaVante Parker? If it is 50% or more than it isn't really a quality vs. quantity debate, but rather which is the method that will give you the best shot at quality.

Cameron Irving, Nelson Agholor, David Johnson ? Jeez, I'd be happy as hell with those three guys.

Our most important free agent get is Byron Maxwell. Having him would solve a lot of potential problems. Jeron Johnson
would be more than nice also, though the coaches seem to like Steven Terrell pretty well. I would rather have these guys than a big money (big ego, big expectations) prima donna free agent wide receiver.

The return of the wounded will be large for us. We finished the year with something like 15 guys on injured reserve.
A large part of our interior defense was out. We can hope for a return to health for those players.I've got a feeling that health will be a bigger than usual issue next year.

morgulon1

Reaction score
kearly":c17pgy7h said:
MontanaHawk05":c17pgy7h said:
We probably would have won it all if we'd had either of Brandon Mebane or Jordan Hill.

And if, you know, one play(call) had gone differently. Sorry, someone had to say it.

I get what you are saying Montana, but next year's team won't be 2014's team. Next year's schedule won't be 2014's schedule. I don't think you can really just look at last season and think next season will have the same feel. The franchise has a slight "unraveling" vibe to it right now. Doesn't mean a great offseason can't fix that, but for the first time in a while, I think Seattle could take a step back this year if they don't have a pretty strong offseason.

I get what everyone is saying, but this is a team that has been to the world championship the last two years and will be a
barring more injury, a pretty damn good team. That probably doesn't cut it with the 13's but it works for me.

Remember "win forever"?

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
morgulon1":1slpdhgu said:
kearly":1slpdhgu said:
MontanaHawk05":1slpdhgu said:
We probably would have won it all if we'd had either of Brandon Mebane or Jordan Hill.

And if, you know, one play(call) had gone differently. Sorry, someone had to say it.

I get what you are saying Montana, but next year's team won't be 2014's team. Next year's schedule won't be 2014's schedule. I don't think you can really just look at last season and think next season will have the same feel. The franchise has a slight "unraveling" vibe to it right now. Doesn't mean a great offseason can't fix that, but for the first time in a while, I think Seattle could take a step back this year if they don't have a pretty strong offseason.

I get what everyone is saying, but this is a team that has been to the world championship the last two years and will be a
barring more injury, a pretty damn good team. That probably doesn't cut it with the 13's but it works for me.

Remember "win forever"?

Also, winning forever doesn't mean "Mortgaging the future". Only trade up if you really really really have to and use the free cap space to extend your own Free Agents that are top priority.

grizbob

Reaction score
From where I'm sitting the Kool Aid is sweet as ever :179422: :179417:

Hyak

Reaction score
I think as is, they are a legitimate SB contender but I also think this offseason is very important in how they move forward after a crushing way to lose a championship game during their window of being an elite team.

The fascinating thing to me is how the team will approach FA and the draft knowing that there are only so many roster spots open. Do they add an impact FA in a need area? Do they move up in the draft to get an impact rookie or trade down to accumulate picks in 2016?

When I look at the roster right now, I see 52 spots with 13 TBA's where ironically more are on defense (7) than offense (5) and ST (1)

QB (2) - Wilson, QB TBA
RB (3) - Lynch, Turbin, Michaels
FB (1) - Coleman or Tukuafu
WR (6) - Baldwin, Kearse, Matthews, Norwood, Richardson/Lockette, WR TBA
TE (4) - Miller, Willson, TE TBA, TE TBA
OL (9) - Okung, LG TBA, Unger, Sweezy, Britt, Bailey, Lewis, Gilliam, OL TBA
DL (9) - Avril, Bennett, McDaniels, Mebane, Hill, Marsh, DL TBA, DL TBA, DL TBA
LB (6) - Irvin, Wagner, Wright, Pierre-Louis, LB TBA, LB TBA,
CB (5) - Sherman, Simon, Burley, Lane/Other, CB TBA
S (4) - Thomas, Chancellor, Shead, S TBA
ST (3) - Hauschka, Ryan, LS TBA

Having some injured guys returning will help the 2015 team but I also think they need to shore up some real weaknesses that perhaps were glossed over when they got rolling last year.

1. Pass rush - the attrition of depth on the DL was noticeable day 1 as the third DE role never got replaced. Avril replaced Clemons but nobody really replaced Avril's role of 2013. In addition, Hill took a while but he did look to be filling McDonald's role. One has to think this will be an area where they try to add some players in addition to getting Hill and Mebane back. The fact is that the 2014 defense was not great against good QB's.

2. Lead WR - not going to say a true #1 but much like DL, they need to add another WR to the mix or see Matthews or Norwood make big leaps. Kearse and Lockette would not be a 2 or 3 on hardly any other teams. The loss of Richardson for some or all of 2015 blows as he was coming on. The plus here is that the draft looks to be strong at WR.

3. CB - Given the probably loss of Maxwell, the injury to Lane, and the question mark of Simon, this is a big need.

4. OL - They may need to replace Carpenter and LT and C could be long-term needs.

5. RS - It was horrible in 2014. They have to find a guy who can be a Leon Washington/Golden Tate impact player.

LTH

Reaction score
I agree as well that getting to the SB will be more difficult in 2015... I think that the biggest thing will be getting past the SB Loss last year ...I think there is more conflict in the locker room than is being said over the loss... Pete has his work cut out for him IMO...

i'm thinking there is not going to be a starting RB to fall to the Hawks in the draft Although Gurley might be there but he is a med gamble... i dont see Seattle trading up... It could be a problem if they cant sign Lynch (who is starting to irritate me with recent comments)...that leaves FA...

I think the Hawks will make RW play out his rookie contract and that will give them some money for FA... I do see the Hawks making a splash in FA.. Although im not going to try to figure who... I guess when FA is done it will give us a better idea of what our draft will look like...

LTH

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
morgulon1":3r5ggic8 said:
kearly":3r5ggic8 said:
MontanaHawk05":3r5ggic8 said:

Remember "win forever"?

It's not that simple. Seattle's secondary is going to enter next season depleted and injured. We might lose Marshawn. Our receiver situation is a mess at present. Our special teams are so bad that we root for a fair catch. Our offensive line is... an acquired taste. The 2013 team was very close to being the perfect football team . The 2014 team was only slightly flawed. The 2015 team is looking like a significantly flawed team. That's why I'm saying a killer offseason would have a huge impact this year as there are some holes to fill that didn't even exist in 2013.

Seattle is still a good team, but if they aren't careful they could end up being a black and blue 10-6 team that needs help to get in the playoffs. I think PC/JS realize this, which is why we've heard so many rumors that indicate they will be active in FA this year.