Hawks should impose a deadline w/ Kam

beasthawk

Reaction score
I think Kam is hurt and does not think he will make it through next year. This why he is trying to get more cash upfront so he can open his wing stop like Syd the Kidd

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Back on topic, Kam is under contract to the team but has failed to report exposing himself to significant financial penalties and perhaps even the recapture of a % of his already paid signing bonus. If he stays out past 11 weeks the team can toll the remaining years of his contract ( 3 years) and keep his rights for those remaining years year to year. That situation could continue indefinitely. All this is pursuant to the CBA of which he's a party, and the contract which he signed.

His transparent gamble is he believes the team will re-jig his deal to give him more guaranteed money w/o fining him. The team has told him they won't redo his deal and really can't w/o inevitably opening up several other contracts they presently can't afford to re-open. This appears to be an absolute impasse and nothing is happening except that the team isn't carrying Kam's contract against the cap until he reports; and Kam is not getting paid until after he reports. Even then he could be paid a lot less than he expected because of his failure to report if the team were to enforce their rights under the contract and CBA.
few if any of us reasonably think that the team would enforce the penalties against him, but they certainly could and will claw back after the season starts if he isn't there by then.

In my mind there is very little leverage for Kam in this situation and a high risk he could find himself fined or traded elsewhere.

I love the guy but he needs to come to camp and to there continue his discussions w/o threat of the withdrawal of his services, maybe then some reasonable low key adjustments to the structure of his contract could happen. There isn't likely anymore he could get in terms of new money and his deal does pay him well but has little guaranteed money left, hence his concern.

His agent and he however agreed to this deal and it was considered to be a good contract for him then, he took the initial bonus happily. His position herein now seems unclear as to why the team should redo his deal.

Perhaps this is all obvious to most here and simply a restatement but Kam has little leverage to change anything except whether he shows up or not.

kearly

Reaction score
After thinking this over a while, I think it would probably be wise for Seattle to impose a 'forgiveness' deadline for Kam. What that means is that after a certain date, if Kam is not back with the team, his fines will not be forgiven. These players hold out because they just expect the fines will be paid back once their hold out ends. So if the team communicates to Kam that his fine forgiveness will only go so far, it will certainly impact his thought process.

Seattle made an ultimatum with Lynch last winter and gave him a specific timeline to make a decision. Lynch waited until the last minute, but ultimately the deadline got Lynch to sign by the date that Seattle needed him to.

Kam's body has taken a ton of abuse, including some internal injuries and stuff that has required surgeries. I would completely understand if Kam's primary motivation is to miss practices and preseason games to preserve his body. For that reason, I'd be okay with having the deadline just after the final preseason game.

But if Kam is still holding out as the Seahawks prepare for the Rams in week one, that's the point where it's not fun and games anymore and he's breaking Pete Carroll's golden rule. The Seahawks would be wise to put as much pressure as possible on Kam to end his misguided holdout before that date.

kearly

Reaction score
I also agree with Tsiz on why Seattle should NOT be shopping Kam. I think that sends the wrong message because rather than take it is a threat, a lot of players would see it as an opportunity to make more money with a different team, which would encourage future holdouts.

I wouldn't want to trade Kam anyway. At worst, Kam will report back by the accrued season cutoff date or else he'd still have three years left next year. I'd rather have 6 regular season games with Kam plus the playoffs than any realistic draft pick we'd get for him.

Exittium

Reaction score
Did the announcers say they spoke to mike rob last night or they played a clips of mike rob saying he spoke to kam and doesnt understand why or is causing kam to do this but he said kam is now thinking of taking this into the regular season?... If that is tho case and it does happen, talk about selfishness. Dudes willing to put the teams season at risk at his expense. Ill have absolutely no respect for him. What little I have for him now is dwindling away.

jake206

Reaction score
Hawks will cave before the end of pre-season. I think we'll be trading WR (Kearse or DBJ) to make up the money difference.

Rocket

Reaction score
jake206":257gmjwt said:
Hawks will cave before the end of pre-season. I think we'll be trading WR (Kearse or DBJ) to make up the money difference.
That would be the absolute wrong thing to do - sets a BAD precedent. They already messed up with the Beast, it's a bad idea to keep hammering on the wrong nail.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
jake206":3prl97jh said:
Thats not going to happen

netskier

Reaction score
Kam tore his MCL in hid last practice last year before the Superbowl when an unmanned Seahawks crashed into him, IIRC. He then played on that torn MCL in the Superbowl, risking additional damage to that knee. How selfish was that? For this reason I discount the theory that he is intrinsically selfish.

So why did he play on his freshly injured MCL? Did the FO give him a verbal promise that they would take care of him next year to mitigate his risk of additional damage? And then renege on it, perhaps over a disagreement as to exactly what it meant? For example, perhaps his knee is fine, but he hurt something else not covered by the verbal understanding.

Just thinking out loud here, while I struggle to make sense from this otherwise puzzling holdout.

Decimation

Reaction score
Rocket":l2tnlmxr said:
jake206":l2tnlmxr said:
That would be the absolute wrong thing to do - sets a BAD precedent. They already messed up with the Beast, it's a bad idea to keep hammering on the wrong nail.
This. If we give Kam any extra money, then players like Mike B will want more money too. We should ABSOLUTELY not cave to Kam's needs. He has a three year contract already in place and needs to be a man of his word and come back to the team.

His brothers need him. Heck, the whole team needs him. Whatever happened to "Love our Brothers" Kam..

netskier

Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more I think that this is a disagreement over principle, rather than principal.

jake206

Reaction score
Decimation":mljmtkcs said:
Rocket":mljmtkcs said:
jake206":mljmtkcs said:
This. If we give Kam any extra money, then players like Mike B will want more money too. We should ABSOLUTELY not cave to Kam's needs. He has a three year contract already in place and needs to be a man of his word and come back to the team.

His brothers need him. Heck, the whole team needs him. Whatever happened to "Love our Brothers" Kam..

As much as I'd like to sing Kumbaya, NFL is also a business. Many of the players have attested to this fact. If a team doesn't need you, they'll cut you. It maybe a bad precedent to cave, but its that or burn a year without Kam. I fully believe Kam will hold out all year. Guy has too much pride. He's not the type to come to the table with tail between his legs.

Veilside

Reaction score
What worries me the most about this whole thing is why Kam is being so desperate to do this so early in his contract. I get trying to get paid what your worth, but it's clear that he has very little leverage here unless the Seahawks start losing regular season games without him. If he does go that far then I will be really worried as to why he's being so desperate and it would look to me like he doubts whether his body will last till his time to renegotiate or hit FA. Hopefully he is just being cautious due to the history of hard hitters that wear out faster, and not over concerns of his current health.

I think it's time that we possibly consider that Kam may be on his last legs and we need to get used to the possibility of being without him sooner than we would like.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Kam is one of our best players and I want nothing more than having him back but we have some really legit back ups in Bailey, Martin and Shead who will do just fine playing alongside Earl and Sherman. That said, Kam is an amazing player but he isn't irreplaceable. If he doesn't honor his contract it's over. He can get his money in Cleveland or Oakland and never have a taste of relevancy again of simply come back and get a few more rings. It's up to him.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Basis4day":1dhimpy8 said:
Northwest Seahawk":1dhimpy8 said:
HawksFan81":1dhimpy8 said:
rideaducati":1dhimpy8 said:
I still think he may be hiding an injury.

I was thinking the same thing.

Apparently his agent has come out swinging this morning guys this is about money pure and simple.

The team knew he was hurt before the SB. He would have been evaluated during OTAs and all reports were that he looked and felt great. Assuming he got a new deal he would again have to pass a physical.

I don't understand the assumption that he is hiding an injury.

I'm not assuming he has an injury, I just think he might be hiding one. This hold out seems strange to me. He still has three years left on his contract and he just wants more money guaranteed? Seems a bit fishy. If he plays like he usually does, he will be kept around. Of all the cost cutting moves the Seahawks could choose to make next year, I think cutting Kam would be pretty far down the list. Where else are the Seahawks going to find such a good safety for that small cap hit?

rideaducati

Reaction score
Basis4day":5p6tzncp said:
Northwest Seahawk":5p6tzncp said:
HawksFan81":5p6tzncp said:
rideaducati":5p6tzncp said:
I still think he may be hiding an injury.

I was thinking the same thing.

Apparently his agent has come out swinging this morning guys this is about money pure and simple.

The team knew he was hurt before the SB. He would have been evaluated during OTAs and all reports were that he looked and felt great. Assuming he got a new deal he would again have to pass a physical.

I don't understand the assumption that he is hiding an injury.

I'm not assuming he has an injury, I just think he might be hiding one. This hold out seems strange to me. He still has three years left on his contract and he just wants more money guaranteed? Seems a bit fishy. If he plays like he usually does, he will be kept around. Of all the cost cutting moves the Seahawks could choose to make next year, I think cutting Kam would be pretty far down the list. Where else are the Seahawks going to find such a good safety for that small cap hit?

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
jake206":2hctqj42 said:
Decimation":2hctqj42 said:
Rocket":2hctqj42 said:
jake206":2hctqj42 said:

As much as I'd like to sing Kumbaya, NFL is also a business. Many of the players have attested to this fact. If a team doesn't need you, they'll cut you. It maybe a bad precedent to cave, but its that or burn a year without Kam. I fully believe Kam will hold out all year. Guy has too much pride. He's not the type to come to the table with tail between his legs.

He pulls that sh*t and he won't get his name in the Ring of Honor!

rideaducati

Reaction score
jake206":ohm8d1r0 said:
Decimation":ohm8d1r0 said:
Rocket":ohm8d1r0 said:
jake206":ohm8d1r0 said:

I think it's funny that people think the Seahawks could get ANYTHING by trading a WR not named Lockett. I also find Kam's holding out for more money and threatening to do so for the entire season amusing. I can't find anything in Kam's hold out that makes sense. He wants more money, but is willing to throw away over $5 million by sitting out for the entire season and then if he still wants to be an NFL player, he would still have to honor the contract he already signed.

He either retires, which he won't, or he plays for the money he already agreed to play for.

He will be back before week one.

King Dog

Reaction score
I love Kam, but I hope the FO just tells him "we'll see you when we see you." No covering his fines or anything like that. He has 3 years on his deal. This is ridiculous.