Hawks should impose a deadline w/ Kam

Bobblehead

Reaction score
A Kam deadline would evoke the powers of murphy's law and come back somehow and bite the Hawks in their ass.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":tatfltlr said:
Send him a registered letter, return receipt required that says:

We want you back! Please report to camp by the end of preseason game 4 and all will be forgiven. If not, then at your option - report on any day after that date and bring your checkbook. If you don't report by that date, all fines accrued will need to be paid and a physical passed before we allow you on the field. Additionally, when you report, you will automatically be a backup SS until you compete and win your old job back.

There will be NO FURTHER COMMUNICATIONS on this topic until you report, pay your accrued fines and pass your physical. This action is necessary because you are in DEFAULT on the contract you signed and fully agreed to on xx/xx/xxxx. You are under Seahawk control & ownership of your playing rights until your entire contract is completed. IF you wish to continue playing football, it will only be with the Seahawks for the next 3 seasons as we will NOT renegotiate a players contract with 3 years remaining and set a team precedent.

The ball is then in Kam's court. The Seahawks can then proceed with the season as though he were on IR or something until he wakes up and smells the coffee. This may be seen as hard-lined, cold & mean but it's a business after all is said and done.

Pretty sure they could just call him or his agent on the phone. :lol:

Seafan

Reaction score
tdlabrie":1aoxvfcu said:
Seafan":1aoxvfcu said:
The Hawks can also put him on a list where he can't report and earn an accrued season.
Really? I did not know that. It's always been Week 11 when the holdouts give up, as they need 6 game to accrue a season. Did something change in the last CBA?

The rule states the reinstatement is up to the commissioner which likely means the team will make that determination. If Kam decides to show up for the last 6 games to just shave a year off his contract and the team doesn't feel they need him he could be forced to stay on the DNR list and still owe the Hawks three seasons. Let's hope it doesn't come down to that. There must be something going on. I find it interesting that Kam stated several times in the off season that he's the healthiest he's ever been since he's been in the league. Some may see this as just an act of desperation by someone who has zero leverage. If that's the case and money is the issue you'd think he wouldn't want to lose game checks. We'll see.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
kearly":aphizovh said:
After thinking this over a while, I think it would probably be wise for Seattle to impose a 'forgiveness' deadline for Kam. What that means is that after a certain date, if Kam is not back with the team, his fines will not be forgiven. These players hold out because they just expect the fines will be paid back once their hold out ends. So if the team communicates to Kam that his fine forgiveness will only go so far, it will certainly impact his thought process.

Seattle made an ultimatum with Lynch last winter and gave him a specific timeline to make a decision. Lynch waited until the last minute, but ultimately the deadline got Lynch to sign by the date that Seattle needed him to.

Kam's body has taken a ton of abuse, including some internal injuries and stuff that has required surgeries. I would completely understand if Kam's primary motivation is to miss practices and preseason games to preserve his body. For that reason, I'd be okay with having the deadline just after the final preseason game.

But if Kam is still holding out as the Seahawks prepare for the Rams in week one, that's the point where it's not fun and games anymore and he's breaking Pete Carroll's golden rule. The Seahawks would be wise to put as much pressure as possible on Kam to end his misguided holdout before that date.

I think this is resolved before the first regular season game . I just can't believe Kam would take it that far but I guess we'll see in a few weeks.

Largent80

Reaction score
If Kam is sending a message, he is doing it wrong. He should show up, honor his contract and try to remain injury free for a year and THEN ask to renegotiate.

Largent80

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2avcczfo said:
Largent80":2avcczfo said:
If Kam is sending a message, he is doing it wrong. He should show up, honor his contract and try to remain injury free for a year and THEN ask to renegotiate.

Good to have you back, Robert! :thirishdrinkers:

:th2thumbs: Looking forward to the Nov. 1st game !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Largent80":295pvajt said:
peachesenregalia":295pvajt said:
Largent80":295pvajt said:

Good to have you back, Robert! :thirishdrinkers:

:th2thumbs: Looking forward to the Nov. 1st game !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Good organizations continue to operate by their guiding principles, especially when adherence is most difficult. Hate the team all you want, but the Steelers are a great franchise. They've recently just come out with the same line: "We don't renegotiate existing contracts." Period. End of story.

Want a player that's underpaid to a FAR greater degree than Kam? Antonio Brown, and he's not being allowed to renegotiate. http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/08/21/pittsburgh-steelers-antonio-brown-contract

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Exittium":1jfyinmi said:
Ps. I think its amusing hes blocking people on facebook and twitter who call him out on this. I find is childish by him and by those calling him out. But he hasn't necessarily made an effort to publicy say or clear anything up either, he avoids it at all costs, or has friends like Mike Rob and his agent speak for him. Thats some coward crap.

Blocking on FB? Hell, he deleted his FB page all together. He is still on twitter but it must be easier to edit and delete/block people on there. I rarely ever go to twitter but I checked out Kam's page and there are people asking Dion Bailey to have Kam unblock them.

ivotuk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":23wipedz said:
While Kam's contract numbers look relatively light now,

you have to remember they gave him close to $8M up front ($5M bonus + base salary raise) in 2013 when he was scheduled to make just above $1M on his rookie deal. So, to say he's "only" making $5M or so this year isn't entirely correct.

That's his salary, but he got some money in advance, which was security for him. He's still probably making below market, but you could say that about a lot of players. If you want a market salary every year, you have to be willing to bet on yourself like Darrelle Revis. Players who get the security of early extensions and upfront bonuses shouldn't also reap the benefits of yearly adjustments.

That being said, I do feel for the guy as a player because I do think he means a lot to the team. More than what he's probably getting paid. Nevertheless, Seattle just can't afford to change course. That precedent can't be set, and you can't justify rewarding a guy for sitting out while ignoring those who showed up (i.e. Bennett). I don't really have an issue if he misses the rest of preseason. If he sits out real games, then I'd just view it like he's on temporary IR. Eventually, he has to show up to accrue his season. It'd be unfortunate if it came down to that, but it is what is.

The bolded part above. Listening to Brock this morning keep repeating "4.5 Million" is tiring. He's not being honest about what Kam is really making this year.

Basically Kam got handed 8 million dollars in 2013 deposited in his bank account. Now he has forgotten about that money.

"I'm only making 4.5 million" B.S.

"Kam Chancellor, 2015 average $7,000,502"

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/safety/

StoneCold

Reaction score
Kam doesn't think it's worth the wear and tear on his body to play for the amount he's being offered and he's OK with not playing. He has money. He doesn't need more, but if you want him to risk adrenal gland bleeding, you have to pay for it. This is the only explanation I can come up with that explains why he'd hold out with no leverage. He has to know the chance they won't renegotiate is very high. Means he'll be fine not playing this year.

From the Hawks side, is it really true they can't afford to set a precedent? What if they look at the finances for the next few years, knowing if they restructure Kam's deal, others will be in line next year and the year after. They then calculate what each of those players may want or deserve. If the money is there then they can restructure Kam's deal.

Where they could draw the line is with a player out performing his contract. If you out perform you might get a raise, but if you under or equally perform, no new deal. That way they'd only be paying for excellence.

Of course if the money ain't there it ain't gonna happen and we play without Kam. And I'm ok with that.

RussB

Reaction score
He blocked me on IG for calling him out. Like a true brat. You can tell he doesnt care that much about fans since hes willing to put the team in a bad position with no starting SS because his bratty ass thinks he needs a new contract

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
2Cool4School":1oaehre2 said:
He blocked me on IG for calling him out. Like a true brat. You can tell he doesnt care that much about fans since hes willing to put the team in a bad position with no starting SS because his bratty ass thinks he needs a new contract

Wow.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
2Cool4School":23wcpejp said:

Glad to know I'm not the only one he blocked, Haha! I was blocked on Twitter though, not IG.

My specific reason for being blocked was incredibly stupid though. I didn't even say anything related to football. In hindsight, I probably wouldn't have even reacted to his post if I knew he was in such a fragile state. Lol :stirthepot:

RussB

Reaction score
JAGHAWK":airve2pl said:
2Cool4School":airve2pl said:

Glad to know I'm not the only one he blocked, Haha! I was blocked on Twitter though, not IG.

My specific reason for being blocked was incredibly stupid though. I didn't even say anything related to football. In hindsight, I probably wouldn't have even reacted to his post if I knew he was in such a fragile state. Lol :stirthepot:
The thing is i wasnt even rude i just asked what the deal is pretty much. And then got blocked .whats his problem lol acts like a dbag to his fans

blkhwk

Reaction score
I've mentioned former Bears safety Todd Bell in a previous post regarding Kam. For those who aren't aware of this situation..... Bell was an all pro SS for the Bears in '84 who decided to hold out in '85 for more money. The Bears called his bluff, let him sit, played an unknown named Dave Duerson at SS. Bears win the SB, Duerson becomes an all pro, Bell never regains his starting spot, get traded and is never a pro bowl caliber player again (he ended up playing LB to end his career).

A second Bear, sat out also. Starting LB Al Harris also sat out for the year and Wilbur Marshall took over and also was an all pro player.

Nothing good comes from Kam sitting. Hopefully is he does, we have the same results as the '85 Bears! If the rest of the team stays healthy, they can absorb Kam sitting out if he desires.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
2Cool4School":356p337q said:

He's blocking everyone, even Brock Huard got blocked, lol.

I guess Kam's more sensitive than we thought. I get that he's frustrated and this isn't exactly going along as planned with his demands. But if you don't want to hear it from the fans, then stay off Twitter and IG.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":35kc66xz said:
2Cool4School":35kc66xz said:

He's blocking everyone, even Brock Huard got blocked, lol.

I guess Kam's more sensitive than we thought. I get that he's frustrated and this isn't exactly going along as planned with his demands. But if you don't want to hear it from the fans, then stay off Twitter and IG.

What's sad is, despite some of the comments that might have rubbed Kam the wrong way, I'll bet those fans have contributed a lot more to Kam in a positive way. But it seems like they never see that stuff. I saw Kam going back n forth with a gal on IG in bible verses. Passive-aggressive bible versing banter!! I was like... C'MON! Quit fueling these people! Just go away until you're not feeling so picked on. Watching it, it was so immature to me. People fighting with Jesus fists. Seems so counter-productive.

metwelve

Reaction score
[align=][/align]
rideaducati":28eqhvvs said:
Let Kam sit out the entire year. I don't see any other resolution on the Seahawks side that wouldn't have every player holding out for more money with three years left on their contract. This hold out makes no sense at all... even less than Russell's stance that he was going to play out his final year.

Kam sits out this season and then he still has to play for three more years on the same contract if he wants to play in the NFL at all. Good luck making up the lost millions later. I still think he may be hiding an injury.

I agree, This is the last year of the guaranteed side of his contract and his first significant injury.
IMO it has him thinking about long term financial security.