Hawks First Round draft History 2011 to Present

kf3339

Reaction score
Largent80":2q4nmjh3 said:
The best decade plus of Seahawk football success yet people are ragging on the way things get done. Get your asses into the late 80's early 1990's all of you doubters.

I was there then as well. Doesn't mean there aren't issues with the regime today. To each his own.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Largent80":23sgpe5l said:
The best decade plus of Seahawk football success yet people are ragging on the way things get done. Get your asses into the late 80's early 1990's all of you doubters.

Yep. It just burned my a$$ to have to put up with the incompetence of Warner and Alexander.
We've had some truly great players. Just not enough of them at the same time.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2wjyf135 said:
The spoiled is strong in this group.

8 and 4.
8 as in the 8th best record in the NFL since 2000.
4 as in 4th best record in the NFL since 2010.

The Seattle Seahawks are one of the top 8 teams in the NFL for the past 20 years but are in the top 4 the past 10 years. But by all means let’s bitch and moan about the horrible job Pete and John have done assembling the team and keeping it competitive. Is it the same people complaining about the drafting that are the same people claiming that the game has passed Pete by? Can we not just enjoy the glory years of this team? Either their drafting sucks and Pete is a master coach or the drafting is great and Pete sucks. Maybe just maybe, they draft players that will succeed and run Pete’s system his way. Maybe that’s his winning formula and yes, it is a winning formula!!

You are absolutely correct Soulfish, that this fan base is spoiled. Maybe I’ve just been a fan of this team for so long that I remember being excited about 9-7 seasons never mind the out of my mind pride of a 10 win season.

I used to have a boss that said, “some people just need to bitch”. I think he was right.

There is a lot of wisdom in the old 80s song,...”don’t worry, be happy!”

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":fgh9yczg said:
SoulfishHawk":fgh9yczg said:

8 and 4.

The Seattle Seahawks are one of the top 8 teams in the NFL for the past 20 years but are in the top 4 the past 10 years. But by all means let’s b!@ch and moan about the horrible job Pete and John have done assembling the team and keeping it competitive. Is it the same people complaining about the drafting that are the same people claiming that the game has passed Pete by? Can we not just enjoy the glory years of this team? Either their drafting sucks and Pete is a master coach or the drafting is great and Pete sucks. Maybe just maybe, they draft players that will succeed and run Pete’s system his way. Maybe that’s his winning formula and yes, it is a winning formula!!

You are absolutely correct Soulfish, that this fan base is spoiled. Maybe I’ve just been a fan of this team for so long that I remember being excited about 9-7 seasons never mind the out of my mind pride of a 10 win season.

I used to have a boss that said, “some people just need to b!@ch”. I think he was right.

"some people just need to b***".

Isn't that exactly what you're doing right now? You're complaining about people complaining. Look, this thread is legitimate discussion. We have not had good first round drafting. Someone posted our draft history in the first round, and people are discussing the merits of trading down. If everyone had the same outlook this place would get very boring. This is especially a relevant conversation seeing as the NFL draft is coming up very soon.

Also, yes while we have won more often than we lost, we've had some issues over the years that are worth discussing.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2zlkl4h8 said:
oldhawkfan":2zlkl4h8 said:
SoulfishHawk":2zlkl4h8 said:

8 and 4.

The Seattle Seahawks are one of the top 8 teams in the NFL for the past 20 years but are in the top 4 the past 10 years. But by all means let’s b!@ch and moan about the horrible job Pete and John have done assembling the team and keeping it competitive. Is it the same people complaining about the drafting that are the same people claiming that the game has passed Pete by? Can we not just enjoy the glory years of this team? Either their drafting sucks and Pete is a master coach or the drafting is great and Pete sucks. Maybe just maybe, they draft players that will succeed and run Pete’s system his way. Maybe that’s his winning formula and yes, it is a winning formula!!

I used to have a boss that said, “some people just need to b!@ch”. I think he was right.

"some people just need to b***".

Isn't that exactly what you're doing right now? You're complaining about people complaining. Look, this thread is legitimate discussion. We have not had good first round drafting. Someone posted our draft history in the first round, and people are discussing the merits of trading down. If everyone had the same outlook this place would get very boring. This is especially a relevant conversation seeing as the NFL draft is coming up very soon.

Also, yes while we have won more often than we lost, we've had some issues over the years that are worth discussing.

Well said Spin doctor, don't be too hard on the cheerleaders, their pom-poms get ruffled easily.

pmedic920

Reaction score
It’s a great time to be a Seahawks fan.

It’s my opinion and my signature states it.

I remember the lean years.

I will not complain about how things have been recently.

Good information OP.

Conversation is interesting.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":32tu20kv said:
Great info. Not a lot of success in that sequence, for sure. They are allergic to making good picks in the 1st round, it seems.

I get that they want to constantly acquire more picks. But at some point, isn't quality more important than quantity?

By the way, this grouping is just terrible: DT Malik McDowell (No. 35), S Delano Hill (No. 95), S Tedric Thompson (No. 111), S Michael Tyson (No. 187). Complete whiff. Fortunately, the selection of Chris Carson made it somewhat bearable.

I heard from somewhere, maybe an interview, where JS and PC have a definite idea of what their projected 1st rounders would be. If they arn't available, the rest is a crap shoot and they do what they do since all their projections are off the board already.

Makes sense, but.. still, keeps you wondering what if's.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Anyone who lived during the '89 though '04 years is just basking in these successful years. Remember when we weren't good enough for the playoffs yet not bad enough to get decent draft position? Man, that sucked.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
While it does seem that people are tough on the front office, it's no secret they've had some head scratchers. Especially in the 1st round. Shoot, I prefer they trade down in the 1st. They do their best work from the 2nd round on imo. They also have drafted some damn good players and should also get credit for that. My only point is it seems like blasting the front office, who has for the most part done a solid job since Pete and John took over, is the norm for some. Oh well, we all see it how we want. And I'm not gonna' lie and say they don't make me nervous in the 1st round. But their talent evaluation has been good over the years. Some guys work out, some just flat out don't. The Draft is a crap shoot. And so often the Hawks pick at the end of the 1st round. Big time crap shoot when you're down that far in the 1st round imo. It's easy for a team to hit on a top 5 pick, it's a hell of a lot harder to hit on a player when you're picking between 27-32 over and over again.
Shoot, a guy like Mcdowell had a ton of talent, how was the front office supposed to know he would slam himself in to a tree? Now guys like Thompson and Hill, while they have some talent, it just hasn't been good enough. But after what we saw in the LOB years, it's very hard to come close to what we had with that team top to bottom. Just because people say the front office has been good, that doesn't make them some kind of cheerleader. God forbid people have opinions. We don't all agree, and that's fine and the point of a message board. Can they do better in the draft? Absolutely they can. But so can the rest of the teams. This has been a hell of a ride since John and Pete got here. NOBODY is happy when they lose, nobody. The standard has become Super Bowl or bust, and that's a GOOD thing.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
This is incomplete. List all the players that were on the board when Seattle was slated to pick before the trade was made then and only then will you have a complete picture .The guys they passed on are just as important or more important than the trade itself and the players they ended up taking.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Look at it this way...in the last 9 years have you made any mistakes?

This is a draft the Seahawks need to get right. And the needs are obvious. Both lines, and an offensive play maker or two.

kf3339

Reaction score
Largent80":nmhdfc9a said:
Look at it this way...in the last 9 years have you made any mistakes?

This is a draft the Seahawks need to get right. And the needs are obvious. Both lines, and an offensive play maker or two.

The question isn't whether they or we have made any mistakes in the last 9 years. Of course we all make mistakes. That's just human nature. But this issue is the pattern over that period of time that hasn't been addressed. But that will be my last comment on this discussion.

But I will agree on your last comment, which has been the case on other threads. We need to focus on the lines first. Then a RB or WR would be nice. But first fix the lines.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Seahawker76":15d91m07 said:
The seahawks have had very little success trading down over the last many years. It's like they are at the carnival and greedily want every quarter they can get to toss and try to win a goblet or beer mug, but they keep winning ashtrays. They need to hold on their top three pics and get some value for once. But they won't will they? It's going to hurt watching them trade down and likely pass on a left tackle when D Brown is on his last legs.
I like JS and PC but dicking around and trading down has become their Kryptonite.
yer tripping. Last year they got a full first round pick of extra value by trading down.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
This is for anyone who thinks the Hawks should take somebody with their first-round pick instead of trading down:

"Go back to 2016: The Seahawks traded down from No. 26 to 31 and took Ifedi. They were able to trade back then traded up, landing Jarran Reed and Quinton Jefferson in the second and fifth rounds, respectively."

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/838831/c ... ay-trades/

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I have to say we have an atrocious record with our first round picks over the last 10 season. Not a signle on of these players was All-Pro, Pro-Bowl, or even considered a top tier starter except maybe Bruce Irvin who was the highest pick they made.

2011 - #25 OT James Carpenter
2012 - #15 DE/LB Bruce Irvin
2013 - No Pick (Traded for Harvin)
2014 - Trade Back to #45 Paul Richardson)
2015 - No Pick (Traded For Jimmy Graham)
2016 - #31 Germain Ifedi
2017 - Trade back #35 Malik McDowell)
2018 - #27 Rashaad Penny
2019 - #29 L.J. collier
2020 - #27 Jordyn Brooks

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3fawl8do said:
I have to say we have an atrocious record with our first round picks over the last 10 season. Not a signle on of these players was All-Pro, Pro-Bowl, or even considered a top tier starter except maybe Bruce Irvin who was the highest pick they made.

2011 - #25 OT James Carpenter
2012 - #15 DE/LB Bruce Irvin
2013 - No Pick (Traded for Harvin)
2014 - Trade Back to #45 Paul Richardson)
2015 - No Pick (Traded For Jimmy Graham)
2016 - #31 Germain Ifedi
2017 - Trade back #35 Malik McDowell)
2018 - #27 Rashaad Penny
2019 - #29 L.J. collier
2020 - #27 Jordyn Brooks

That's a bit disingenuous since the only first round pick we can evaluate since Irvin is Germain Ifedi who was a starter and was durable but not really great.
Penny, Collier and Brooks are a bit too recent to give a solid evaluation around. Penny was really starting to shine before that knee injury though.

Note that Irvin, Carpenter and Ifedi are still in the league which is more than you can say for many late first round picks. May not be stars but are players.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Since we make the playoffs almost every year in this regime. We pick in the last 10 spots. Since first round grades usually are 1-16 we get what we get.

Imagine trying to figure out who is the best fit for the team with this going on.