Hawks bring up Smith... Simon to IR

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
rideaducati":2rnxqwg3 said:
People wanting to cut Simon, yet they're in love with dead weight like Kearse and Tarvaris Jackson...I'll never understand some of you guys.
Kearse and Tarvaris are far from dead weight. The only issues people have with Simon is that he can't stay healthy.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2jap816y said:
rideaducati":2jap816y said:
People wanting to cut Simon, yet they're in love with dead weight like Kearse and Tarvaris Jackson...I'll never understand some of you guys.
Kearse and Tarvaris are far from dead weight. The only issues people have with Simon is that he can't stay healthy.

Boat anchors...both of them.

Basis4day

Reaction score
rideaducati":1desfojq said:

TJack is a backup. We like him as a backup. We don't expect a developmental guy to replace Wilson and we don't want to showcase a backup in any meaningful games because it means something bad happened to Wilson.

Fans really need to check Kearse's numbers this year because he is playing well.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Basis4day":20jbri5o said:
rideaducati":20jbri5o said:

TJack is a backup. We like him as a backup. We don't expect a developmental guy to replace Wilson and we don't want to showcase a backup in any meaningful games because it means something bad happened to Wilson.

Fans really need to check Kearse's numbers this year because he is playing well.

I know the numbers Kearse has this year and he is playing well. The problem I have is that Kearse is playing too much. He is a fourth wide receiver talent-wise and is starting. He should be like Obomanu was and we should only see him when there are injuries to the top few receivers. Obomanu played well when given the opportunity, but when better receivers were available, he went back to the bench where he belonged. Kearse now belongs behind several guys and should be expendable when Richardson gets back.

Kearse is a great guy, and he has made great plays for the Seahawks and I appreciate what he has done, but he isn't what the team needs on the field right now. The team needs guys that get open quick and/or create mismatches. Kearse does neither and playing him now is to the detriment of the offense. Opposing teams don't fear him and they don't need to. Kearse doesn't win one on one matchups very often and Russell only throws the ball after his receiver has won a matchup, so Russell ends up holding the ball longer than he should have to because Kearse can't get open... It's a viscious circle. The Seahawks have better options available that can get open quicker and provide better mismatches than Kearse offers and it is time to use them.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
I like this. Of course we all seen it coming.

No way Jackson makes it back in a week after that high ankle sprain. Simon and his toe problems is the odd man out.

I like the way Smith runs, albeit the sample size was pre season and against 2nd-3rd stringers, I liked the way he "high" steps through the line.

Drawback would be he's too willing to just step out of bounds than turn a shoulder into the defender for a yard or two more.

nategreat

Reaction score
Everyone thinks they're the best evaluators of talent. Well, you're not. Keep pretending like you know who should be cut though because... well... you're smarter than the guys running the Seahawks organization. Alright, rant ended- you can all go back to your Doritos and Coke now. :th2thumbs:

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
nategreat":19kromgl said:
Everyone thinks they're the best evaluators of talent. Well, you're not. Keep pretending like you know who should be cut though because... well... you're smarter than the guys running the Seahawks organization. Alright, rant ended- you can all go back to your Doritos and Coke now. :th2thumbs:

Dude, Had I been runnin' shit from the beginning? You and everyone else would be sooooo tired of Superb Owls parties. :th2thumbs:

kearly

Reaction score
I'm glad to see Smith called up, but I'm almost afraid of him having a nice game, because he'll probably get cut and PS'd again in the near future when Lynch and/or Jackson are ready to go. This game is his audition for the rest of the NFL. But if Smith kicks ass and makes the decision of who to cut difficult, I guess that's a good problem to have.

keatonisballin":ljydn3nj said:
Surprised Simon didn't just get straight cut. Apparently they can't let go just yet.

They definitely wouldn't cut Simon but even if they did, the injury settlement cost (which counts against the cap) would basically be the same as the cap cost to IR him given the long term recovery his upcoming surgery will require.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I think Simon is talented, but he is NEVER healthy enough to be on the field. Agree we have to get rid of him.

To the guy who can't understand this:
1.) Kearse is clutch when you need him to be, simon's toe doesn't work
2.)Daniels is a playmaker,grinder,winner. Simon is hurt on the bench.
3.)hopefully simon will get healthy and be back, but if not, a player who never plays won't be missed too much.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree that Smith could have a good game, get cut, and end up on another team.

I think he's good enough that they should just keep him on the active roster.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
ludakrishna":2bukhve5 said:
Does Steven Terrell have Craig Terrill's stash of dirty Paul Allen pics? I have yet to be impressed by him and he always makes the team.

Ace special teamer. Kind of in the same category as Lockette in that regard, only he's a HUGE liability as a DB. I agree. Not impressed with the 'depth' he provides.

peppersjap

Reaction score
12th_Bob":hm8ap824 said:
Yeah, I agree that Smith could have a good game, get cut, and end up on another team.

I think he's good enough that they should just keep him on the active roster.
This would be the same Rod Smith who did not start for his college team. I'm sure teams are just salivating waiting for him to be cut. If they wanted him they could have just signed him off our practice squad. I can not believe the value people put on pre season games!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Smith runs hard, and has size, I thought he looked pretty interesting in preseason. If he were to show well he'd very possibly be scooped by another team if waived to put him back on the PS. That would suck b/c he looks to be a solid developmental RB.

Simon was drafted in 2013 but was PUP'd that season, played in 10 games in 2014, starting in 5, then was available in just 1 game this season. He has some legit ability and excellent size, but all the talent in the world won't cut it if you can't stay healthy. His cap cost is close to $585 K., rookie contract. He's had foot (toe) and ankle problems all his pro career and is regularly on the injury report. At this point, by the end of this his 3rd season on the team, he will have been available to play 11 of 48 games. He will need to positively demonstrate he can stay healthy for him to make or stay on the team going forward. For him it is likely a close decision on what to do with him waive, or IR. Pete and John are sometimes loyal to a fault but I could see them moving on from Simon if he can't stay healthy.

hburn21

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1y4ivpou said:
Smith runs hard, and has size, I thought he looked pretty interesting in preseason. If he were to show well he'd very possibly be scooped by another team if waived to put him back on the PS. That would suck b/c he looks to be a solid developmental RB.

Simon was drafted in 2013 but was PUP'd that season, played in 10 games in 2014, starting in 5, then was available in just 1 game this season. He has some legit ability and excellent size, but all the talent in the world won't cut it if you can't stay healthy. His cap cost is close to $585 K., rookie contract. He's had foot (toe) and ankle problems all his pro career and is regularly on the injury report. At this point, by the end of this his 3rd season on the team, he will have been available to play 11 of 48 games. He will need to positively demonstrate he can stay healthy for him to make or stay on the team going forward. For him it is likely a close decision on what to do with him waive, or IR. Pete and John are sometimes loyal to a fault but I could see them moving on from Simon if he can't stay healthy.
Maxwell had plenty of issues staying healthy too, if we get one good season out of Simon next year the pay off is worth it because of how low his cap hit is.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Which toe is it? If not the big toe he may want to part ways with it to keep his checks coming.

Latest posts