Has this ever been a fair unbiased QB competition?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
If Lock plays well this week, the fans will be demanding he starts when Geno stumbles.
That, I agree with.

I'll have a pretty short leash in mind myself. As much as I think his play has been fine and even pretty good in the preseason - there's no upside to leaving him in to figure it out if he has a multi-game slide.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
That, I agree with.

I'll have a pretty short leash in mind myself. As much as I think his play has been fine and even pretty good in the preseason - there's no upside to leaving him in to figure it out if he has a multi-game slide.
If Lock doesn't play well this week, I'm sure there will be a lot more tolerance with Geno's future performances.

flv2

Reaction score
Wilson was traded March 8. Smith was re-signed on April 14. Difficult to believe that Smith has always been Plan A or that Lock didn't have a fair opportunity.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
It's quite possible that maybe, just maybe, Lock isn't nearly as good as people hoped. The guy seems to have trouble identifying the blitz and directing things at the LOS. He's extremely raw as a passer in his fourth year in the NFL. The players also seem to have an affinity towards Geno Smith. I heard reports of Geno practicing with the likes of DK and Lockett. I never heard such stories in the offseason about Lock.

In the end, hoping for Lock to be anything more than a journeyman was copium. This is a Charlie Whitehurst, Tarvaris Jackson deal that we've got going on. Carroll is likely hoping to catch a windfall next offseason. Maybe we could have gotten a veteran like Ryan or Mayfield -- but this team is not in a position to even make a playoffs game even if we did have an alright QB. We have a ton of holes and young talent that are unvetted and unknown. Huge gaping holes at positions like MLB, questionable depth at D-Line, a bunch of unknowns variables at CB.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Lock was never actually in contention for the starting job, if anything it was for show since QB competitions often give headlines and attention, even pathetically weak ones that Seattle is in.

Pete was always going to choose Geno, I believe Lock was never even considered. Pete picks his favorites and my god he’ll burn it all down for his choices. Pete likes Geno, Geno has been in the system longer and these are important qualifiers for Pete.

I think it goes without saying that Pete doesn't take real risks anymore. When he first arrived he had to take risks, try new things and experiment and things worked out and we know the history. That being said Pete is stubborn and just keeps trying to do the same thing over and over again hoping to strike lightening in a bottle twice.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Lock was never actually in contention for the starting job, if anything it was for show since QB competitions often give headlines and attention, even pathetically weak ones that Seattle is in.

Pete was always going to choose Geno, I believe Lock was never even considered. Pete picks his favorites and my god he’ll burn it all down for his choices. Pete likes Geno, Geno has been in the system longer and these are important qualifiers for Pete.

I think it goes without saying that Pete doesn't take real risks anymore. When he first arrived he had to take risks, try new things and experiment and things worked out and we know the history. That being said Pete is stubborn and just keeps trying to do the same thing over and over again hoping to strike lightening in a bottle twice.
But what leads you to believe this was a just an orchestrated competition?

I really find that hard to believe with rookies across the roster getting playing time and very fair shots at starting roles.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
My tin foil hat theory is that Pete / the Hawks don't want that direct comparison week 1 and have the guy who went the other way in the Russ trade starting in that game. Could be worried about Lock pressing to show Denver he was good and press, throwing picks.

Fade

Reaction score
It's old-school football thinking.

Start with the vet. Until he stumbles then you put in the kid.

If you start with Lock, and he face plants. Now what do you do? Go to Geno? Too late.

Geno gets first crack, but Drew Lock will end up starting more games, barring injury.

The better move though is to start Drew Lock a full 17 games, and see if the light can come on for him. If it doesn't, oh well, top 5 pick is your reward. Geno is a career backup, nothing more, a waste of time as a starter.

If Gene starts all 17 games, they will be in the the running for the #1 pick, AND you never truly gave Drew Lock a shot, which would also make no sense. So Drew will start eventually.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Yep exactly.

If you want Lock to have the best chance to succeed and be a long-term option? Start Geno.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score

Hell, this sounds MORE than fair to Lock, if you ask me. If you're going solely what's happened during the competition, Geno is ahead almost by default with Lock's lack of reps. This comment alone shows that Pete is clearly considering not just performance, but tial as well.

The only reason people are latching onto this unfair competition narrative that the media is perpetuating, is because they can't watch practice. All we get to see is the game reps. Fans have convinced themselves that Geno is so bad that the only way he isn't winning this job is because Pete is won't let him. As if there is any earthly incentive for Pete to do that.

From my perspective, you have to start with Geno ahead at the beginning of camp and see if Drew can take it from him. Any other way you risk losing the respect of the vets in the locker room. If they believe in Geno, they need to see him either fail and Locke replace him or see Locke clearly surpass Geno on the field. That is the biggest dynamic steering this QB competition in my opinion

Team Slapaho

Reaction score
what are your opinions on weather or not this has been a fair QB competition. Was it unbiased? Did Drew ever have a shot at starting? It’s hard to say but for me it hasn’t seemed like a legit fair QB competition, not that it really matters in the scheme of things. I understand Geno has been in this offense for a year longer, but at some point if it’s a legitimate fair QB competition don’t you have to give Drew more reps with the starters?
I’m fine with whoever Pete picks, as long as Pete is fired by the end of this season. I will not watch another game till Pete is gone. The product that He has put on the field has been trash since 2017, I will Not waste the time I have in this life watching that garbage.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
its the best way to tank, without looking like you are intentionally tanking. They want a QB in the next draft and are positioning for the best pick possible.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I’m fine with whoever Pete picks, as long as Pete is fired by the end of this season. I will not watch another game till Pete is gone. The product that He has put on the field has been trash since 2017, I will Not waste the time I have in this life watching that garbage.
Since 2017?

4 of the past 5 seasons have been winning seasons.

If you think the grass gets THAT much greener, it doesn't.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I think Geno is better than Lock, but they are both not starting caliber QBs. What a waste of a season.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
what are your opinions on weather or not this has been a fair QB competition. Was it unbiased? Did Drew ever have a shot at starting? It’s hard to say but for me it hasn’t seemed like a legit fair QB competition, not that it really matters in the scheme of things. I understand Geno has been in this offense for a year longer, but at some point if it’s a legitimate fair QB competition don’t you have to give Drew more reps with the starters?
Nope. Pete was starting Geno from the start. Pete’s loyalty is his biggest strength and biggest weakness at the same time. He doesn’t know when to cut bait when his favorites start to suck. See Bevell, Cable, Flowers as examples.

Reactions: PNW

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think Geno is better than Lock, but they are both not starting caliber QBs. What a waste of a season.
Respectfully disagree. It’s all a matter on how you’d like to give the ball back to the other team. Picks via Lock or 3 and outs/punts via Geno.
There isn’t a great option.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Nope. Pete was starting Geno from the start. Pete’s loyalty is his biggest strength and biggest weakness at the same time. He doesn’t know when to cut bait when his favorites start to suck. See Bevell, Cable, Flowers as examples.
Yeah but Pete sure did cut bait on Matt Flynn, who, given how much we paid for him, was being penciled in as the starter.

In the end, Flynn had all the markings of a backup QB. The problem we have now is we have 2 backup QBs, so we're in a lose-lose situation -- and that is not exactly a "competition" any team wants to find itself in.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Yeah but Pete sure did cut bait on Matt Flynn, who, given how much we paid for him, was being penciled in as the starter.

In the end, Flynn had all the markings of a backup QB. The problem we have now is we have 2 backup QBs, so we're in a lose-lose situation -- and that is not exactly a "competition" any team wants to find itself in.
Pete had very little time invested in Flynn. The relationship hadn’t developed yet vs how long Geno has been here?

Reactions: PNW