Has this ever been a fair unbiased QB competition?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
You'll be ok.
You think Geno is good. I don't. Why can't you just let it go? Have a good day
What a completely random deflection.

That's not even what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about the discussion in this thread.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I personally would have liked to see Lock have more reps with the starters so you can judge how well both of them fare with the starters in camp. His COVID diagnosis was a real bummer since the game against Chicago would have been his premiere chance to shine and pull away. I do believe Pete when he says that was the plan all along. Geno gets the majority snaps in the Steelers game and Lock would get the majority in the Chicago game. Meh. Life happens.

So it comes down to seeing how well Lock plays the majority of the game this Friday. Every snap counts. It's too bad we won't get to see him with the starters much since the final preseason game is always the main evaluation game to see who can make the 53 final and 16 man practice squad.

Unless Lock tears it up, puts up 4-5 TDs or something crazy, it looks like Geno will be the starter in 2022. For how long is anybody's guess. I have a feeling one way or another we will see Lock starting games for us this year.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Likely Aros is right on regarding this situation, Geno for a while then Lock. Lock's illness certainly screwed up the competition.

It'd not surprise me if they both suck badly enough that we see the team acquire another QB from elsewhere but that'd be a last ditch situation.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

Hell, this sounds MORE than fair to Lock, if you ask me. If you're going solely what's happened during the competition, Geno is ahead almost by default with Lock's lack of reps. This comment alone shows that Pete is clearly considering not just performance, but potential as well.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I personally would have liked to see Lock have more reps with the starters so you can judge how well both of them fare with the starters in camp. His COVID diagnosis was a real bummer since the game against Chicago would have been his premiere chance to shine and pull away. I do believe Pete when he says that was the plan all along. Geno gets the majority snaps in the Steelers game and Lock would get the majority in the Chicago game. Meh. Life happens.

So it comes down to seeing how well Lock plays the majority of the game this Friday. Every snap counts. It's too bad we won't get to see him with the starters much since the final preseason game is always the main evaluation game to see who can make the 53 final and 16 man practice squad.

Unless Lock tears it up, puts up 4-5 TDs or something crazy, it looks like Geno will be the starter in 2022. For how long is anybody's guess. I have a feeling one way or another we will see Lock starting games for us this year.
Very much this! I also believe we will see both of them starting games this season. I’m also of the belief that we might also see someone we don’t even know about yet start at least a game. Injuries, roster turnover etc.

m0ng0

Reaction score
I believe it was, Lock missed his chance by getting sick, I think his health has dug him a hole he won't get out of until/if Geno flounders.

nategreat

Reaction score
I believe it was, Lock missed his chance by getting sick, I think his health has dug him a hole he won't get out of until/if Geno flounders.
And Geno will certainly flounder. Likely even week 1. But I think Pete will give Geno (or Lock) at least 3 games before making a switch at QB. Unless he's doing so bad that they have to pull him after the 1st half of the 1st game.

chris98251

Reaction score
Lock competing will not win it, he has to go and take it much like Russell did when he was given time against Flynn. The KC Game was all he needed to open players, coaches and the publics eye to his talent and ability.

Same type of impact game will be needed for Lock to take a step and not look back.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Best case scenario for Lock is Geno starting the season.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Lock has had, and will continue to have, plenty of opportunities to make his case. I get why some of you really want him to start. He's the more unknown quantity, and there's still some small chance he could be a long-term solution whereas none of us think that's the case with Geno. Lock making a few mistakes doesn't even sound like a negative to many when they are thinking about our upcoming draft pick.

The difference between that public perception and our coaching staff's viewpoint is that our coaching staff is solely focused on which QB gives them the best chance to beat Denver. After that, they will be focused on which QB gives them the best chance to beat the 49ers and so on. Given the different focus, it's not surprising that the FO and some fans could have different opinions.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Can you expand upon what you mean by fair and unbiased within the context of this QB battle?

Geno having a year-plus of experience with the playbook and a connections with the starting WRs afforded him a hell of a head start. I'm not sure if that is necessarily unfair though, or just the way things go sometimes.

Drew getting Covid before his chance to start was certainly unfortunate and a really tough break, but I'm not sure I would classify it as unfair. Drew not setting the protection properly (especially given the tell on his right hand side) or throwing the hot route at the end of the Pittsburgh game is rudimentary stuff and was going to be tough to bounce back from without getting that 2nd preseason game.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Honestly, if it were up to me, I’d just play and interchange both as starters. It’ll make it a bit harder for opposing defensive coordinators to game plan. As well as keep the offense on its toes having to adjust to each QB. It wouldn’t be ideal in a game where simplicity of execution is gold but if we are hellbent on acquiring our next franchise QB in 2023, having an offense that can quickly adapt and adjust to the new QB has some future value.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I listed reasons. Geezus man, get over it. You're taking this message board stuff WAY too seriously. You're obsessed. Have a coke and a smile.
I'll gladly bow out. Go Hawks
He fancies himself a White Knight defending any and all Seahawks players from being slandered whether the facts support the opinion or not. Start complaining about player A and he will appear with cape on and a meaningless stat or two to defend the poor defenseless player from message board bullies. I’m considering just muting him at this point.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
what are your opinions on weather or not this has been a fair QB competition. Was it unbiased? Did Drew ever have a shot at starting? It’s hard to say but for me it hasn’t seemed like a legit fair QB competition, not that it really matters in the scheme of things. I understand Geno has been in this offense for a year longer, but at some point if it’s a legitimate fair QB competition don’t you have to give Drew more reps with the starters?
Not if he hasn't shown that he's gotten a better grasp of the Waldron system...It takes time to digest a totally different Offensive scheme.
Frankly, I believe Waldron trusts how well Geno has seemed to dial in on his schemes, and I believe he has Pete's ear on this whole Competition gig, just my 2 cents.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Honestly, does it matter?

They're stop gap players at best. I definitely won't be that interested in QB play this season, simply because there's just nothing going on to keep me intetested. We're watching "Who wants to be a millionaire backup QB next year?" The future isn't either player, not worth investing any time or thought into them, ha. Just my opinion of course.

I'll be watching the rebuilt Oline keep our "QBs" upright and opening lanes for some possible beadts at RB.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Especially when it comes to kickers apparently. We made space for whoever Bubba Bolden and Matthew Gotel are, but couldn't sign a UDFA kicker to push Myers, who hasn't played well enough to deserve that kind of job security.
All the more reason not to give a kicker a big contract after one career year. Hopefully a lesson is learned here and not repeated. They did bring Brandon Aubrey in (the Birmingham kicker In USFL) but I don't think he's a serious candidate since he didn't get any playing time so far in the preseason games.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
At this point, Lock is going to need to demonstrate something that sets him apart from Geno.
If he doesn't, he should be cut immediately. (j/k). He's safe because he seems to be the integral piece (outside the draft picks received) in the Wilson trade.