Has Cary Williams looked anything but average so far?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
He'll look fine -- even pretty good, I suspect -- once he has two all-pro safeties behind him again.

As I received a TON of crap for when they signed him though (I thought they overpaid for a marginal talent at the top of the market and got absolutely lambasted for it), I think that's true of a fair number of players.

Long story short, once the season starts and ET and KC are back I wouldn't worry at all about Williams, but I still don't think he was good value.

I think PC took advantage of a market inefficiency (bigger CBs) when he first came to Seattle, but now that the league has over-corrected I think he has made a mistake by not adjusting and with Williams he overpaid to get the same height/weight/speed combos that he used to be able to underpay for at the position.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Look what Keenan Allen did to this DB! We should cut this DB on the spot! No excuse for this!

Screen-Shot-2014-09-14-at-6.19.08-PM.png

McGruff

Reaction score
massari":2uydal93 said:
Missing_Clink":2uydal93 said:
I still don't understand why they went after him hard and paid him so well. Seemed like a panic move at the time and it looks terrible now.

I don't think anybody but JS understands why he got such a big contract.

I think after this season he's going to get released as he scheduled to have a 6.2 mill cap hit in 2016 and 2.3 mill in dead money.

This is right. He basically signed a one year guaranteed deal. People compare him to Winfield, whoo we did cut, but Winfield was MUCH cheaper to cut. For better or worse we are stuck with Cary this year.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I believe he's actually looked below average on many plays. Seems very susceptible to slant plays. I want us to release him and give some of that cap money to Bennett and Kam.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3sderdev said:
Everyone said Williams was a budget/stop gap signing until we get guys healthy and ready..........and that appears to be a correct opinion thus far.

I just don't think $6million a year is a great 'budget' pick.

McGruff

Reaction score
xgeoff":2gd3x7w5 said:
I believe he's actually looked below average on many plays. Seems very susceptible to slant plays. I want us to release him and give some of that cap money to Bennett and Kam.

Cutting Williams this year actually costs us cap money. We would have less money for Bennett and Kam, not more.

massari

Reaction score
Cary Williams and Harvin are creating a $12,000,000 cap hit this season. :34853_doh:

AgentDib

Reaction score
That's like saying that there were 32,000.5 shark and vehicle related deaths in the US last year. Adding the dead money from a pouty WR not on the team with the current salary of a starting NFL CB should really replace "apples and oranges" as the gold standard for stupid comparisons.

I think you guys may need to re-adjust expectations a bit. We didn't think our youth would be ready to provide enough starting competition so we brought in an average caliber FA who happened to have the physical characteristics that we look for on the outside.

BMax received $25 million guaranteed from the Eagles while Cary received $7 million guaranteed from us, most of which he is getting this year. He may very well not be here in 2016 without a contract rework if Seisay, Simon, Shead or Smith can take the job. If they can't take the job who gets the brunt of your fan anger? Are you really questioning this FO's ability when it comes to evaluating and coaching secondary players?

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
AgentDib":3kq006up said:
That's like saying that there were 32,000.5 shark and vehicle related deaths in the US last year. Adding the dead money from a pouty WR not on the team with the current salary of a starting NFL CB should really replace "apples and oranges" as the gold standard for stupid comparisons.

I think you guys may need to re-adjust expectations a bit. We didn't think our youth would be ready to provide enough starting competition so we brought in an average caliber FA who happened to have the physical characteristics that we look for on the outside.

BMax received $25 million guaranteed from the Eagles while Cary received $7 million guaranteed from us, most of which he is getting this year. He may very well not be here in 2016 without a contract rework if Seisay, Simon, Shead or Smith can take the job. If they can't take the job who gets the brunt of your fan anger? Are you really questioning this FO's ability when it comes to evaluating and coaching secondary players?

I like the way you think regarding this situation. :th2thumbs:

massari

Reaction score
AgentDib":dhss24uv said:

Wait, so you're saying Cary Williams and Harvin AREN'T creating a $12,000,000 cap hit this season?

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'm saying that's a meaningless number, in the same manner as suggesting Cary Williams and Aaron Hernandez have been indicted for a combination of 3 murders. Or that AgentDib and Felix Hernandez have thrown one perfect game between the two of them. Or that massari and Golden Tate have combined for one Krispy Kreme crime. You can't add unrelated stuff together and then get excited or upset about your outcomes.

massari

Reaction score
LOL....I see your point but I'm just saying that the NFL has a 143 mill cap and 12 mill is going towards Williams(who many think is over paid) and Harvin(a guy who won't be playing for us/dead money), almost the same cap hit as JJ Watt has in Houston. Kind of a bummer for us.