Has Cary Williams looked anything but average so far?

Hawks46

Reaction score
Yup, Allen had his way with Williams, and the sad part is that it was the same route every time. Allen also set it up exactly the same way with a shoulder fake to the outside, then an inside slant. Williams doesn't look good at reading a WR and knowing where he's going to go, he looks more like he's just reacting out there.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
He could be our Matt Flynn signing, big money don't even start, Simon can play opposite Sherman.

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Getting the whiff of Kelly Jennings with this guy again.

I think the book is going to get out that even if he is covering someone, he isn't a threat to tackle or pick the ball off.

Not sure we can do anything about it. If Simon can start opposite Sherman I guess we are OK, maybe with Burley or Lane playing slot - CJ gives us some insurance. But he isn't a threat to the other team.

Disappointing but hopefully our guys can fix things in time.

RussB

Reaction score
Would have rather kept maxwell, hes is going to be a great CB in this league. Cary williams isnt horrible and not bad either, hes average,. One of the corners like shead or tye smith might have even been better than him and cheaper to pay.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
He hasn't gotten beat over the top, but he's also not trusting his press skills. Other than the one time I did see him get really physical with a WR and got called for a PI, he's not really even getting his hands on WRs at the line either. He's been playing very soft in coverage. Those slants to Allen were really very easy due to that. Maxwell could probably challenge BB for strongest corner in the league so we're spoiled. Cary still has to toughen up and get his hands in there and battle though.

PS, there wasn't a choice to keep Maxwell. No point in saying it.

RussB

Reaction score
vin.couve12":v5gyzrnd said:
He hasn't gotten beat over the top, but he's also not trusting his press skills. Other than the one time I did see him get really physical with a WR and got called for a PI, he's not really even getting his hands on WRs at the line either. He's been playing very soft in coverage. Those slants to Allen were really very easy due to that. Maxwell could probably challenge BB for strongest corner in the league so we're spoiled. Cary still has to toughen up and get his hands in there and battle though.

There was a choice to keep him. They could have offered up some more cash because he really is a valuable CB that plays physical with recievers .I know the eagles offered him money he couldnt refuse but the seahawks could have atleast made some bigger offers

cover-2

Reaction score
Williams is stiff and doesn't have the feet, agility, or quickness for a CB, but neither did Brandon Browner. The difference between the two is Browner would disrupt his WR coming off the LOS by pressing him thus disrupting the WR route/timing of the route.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Interesting screen name when the Hawks generally only go cover 2 in the RZ and in short yard situations. Just interesting is all. Not being a smartarse.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Dude doesn't seem too natural at putting himself in position to make an immediate tackle against guys who run decent routes.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Any Philly fan would have told us this a few months ago. He was Philly's whipping boy.

I'm still holding out hope that Cary will be fine once the LOB is at full strength, but I have my doubts. I think there is a good chance Simon will have a chance to overtake Cary at some point this season.

On a side note, how did Blackmon do? I saw him get burned in the slot once (I think by Stevie Johnson).

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I still don't understand why they went after him hard and paid him so well. Seemed like a panic move at the time and it looks terrible now.

Brithawk

Reaction score
2Cool4School":1sg0rq1z said:
vin.couve12":1sg0rq1z said:

There was a choice to keep him. They could have offered up some more cash because he really is a valuable CB that plays physical with recievers .I know the eagles offered him money he couldnt refuse but the seahawks could have atleast made some bigger offers
So we'd have offered him money we couldn't afford. That's the way it's going to be from now on.

Stars & Scrubs basically, pay your all pros & bowlers. The rest can sign relatively cheap or they hit free agency so we get the draft picks which in turn let's is pick more cheap potential all pros.

@LRiddickESPN: Don't see it with Cary Williams. Never have.

massari

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":10cbq0et said:
I still don't understand why they went after him hard and paid him so well. Seemed like a panic move at the time and it looks terrible now.

I don't think anybody but JS understands why he got such a big contract.

I think after this season he's going to get released as he scheduled to have a 6.2 mill cap hit in 2016 and 2.3 mill in dead money.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Tical21":jcejldsh said:
They had to do it. They paid market rate for an average corner because otherwise they would have had to rely on Tharold Simon, which unfortunately they just don't have the luxury of doing.

Not sure about that. Peanut Tillman has a one year, $1.5 million cap hit, and Bears fans were crestfallen to see him go. He also had a spectacular INT of Brady in preseason game 3.

cover-2

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3mhzv1tc said:
Interesting screen name when the Hawks generally only go cover 2 in the RZ and in short yard situations. Just interesting is all. Not being a smartarse.

I didn't pick the name because I thought the Seahawks played this coverage, and I really don't like the cover-2 scheme. I just thought of something football related that was easy to remember. :th2thumbs:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Largent80":w5ub10nz said:
Simon outplayed him last night, hell, even the Gatorade guy outplayed him.

Who was Simon defending?

Who beat Cary Williams (all of two times)? Was it the best WR on the team?

I'll wait.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ctrcat":38qaiibw said:
Tical21":38qaiibw said:
They had to do it. They paid market rate for an average corner because otherwise they would have had to rely on Tharold Simon, which unfortunately they just don't have the luxury of doing.

Not sure about that. Peanut Tillman has a one year, $1.5 million cap hit, and Bears fans were crestfallen to see him go. He also had a spectacular INT of Brady in preseason game 3.

He's also 34 and coming off two consecutive seasons of having injuries end his year early. Charles Tillman at age 30 would have made bank on the open market.

Again, Keenan Allen had two good plays on him and this board acts like Keenan had 10 for 200 on him. We are so ridiculously spoiled by DB play that a WR getting a simple reception or two on a corner is the end of the world. :lol:

Byron Maxwell played the same way last preseason btw. But that's none of my business

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":88l8ksyo said:
Largent80":88l8ksyo said:
Simon outplayed him last night, hell, even the Gatorade guy outplayed him.

Who was Simon defending?

Who beat Cary Williams (all of two times)? Was it the best WR on the team?

I'll wait.

You're right, but that doesn't forgive Williams, it just discounts Simon. Williams is going to have to cover the best WR's in the league, and so far he's looked terrible.

Everyone said Williams was a budget/stop gap signing until we get guys healthy and ready..........and that appears to be a correct opinion thus far.

xkj1985x

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":lwuyhn89 said:
Any Philly fan would have told us this a few months ago. He was Philly's whipping boy.

Right here.

As bad as Cary was last year in Philly, he at least isn't Bradley Fletcher because THAT was Philly's whipping boy last year. Good lord is he terrible. Cary isn't much better as he's A) Just really not that good and B) Is prone to penalties for being a bonehead, had a number of those in Philly during his time there.

When I first saw the Hawks sign him, my initial reaction was that Pete would turn him into a monster just like the rest of that secondary but the more I've seen of him just tells me he isn't very good and that's it. He was a bit spoiled in Baltimore with an elite pass rush and that was exposed in Philly.

As some of you have said, when the LoB is back out there with him (Kam?) then maybe they'll mask his poor play up with their great play but man....I dunno. All I know is I am glad he's not on my team anymore while WTIII & Maxwell actually both look very good so far.