Has Cary Williams looked anything but average so far?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2im8mnib said:
We still have several games for him to pan out but the last thing we need to pee away the $11 million in the remaining years of his contract when we have so many guys we are going to be digging in the couch for nickels to keep.

If he doesn't produce by the final games of the preseaon?

Hell yes they should cut him.

He cost us 3.5 this season and it bumps up to 5, & 6 the years after.

But the question becomes cap hit. How much you save (because at this point I don't think you lose that much going with one of the guys like Simon or Lane or even keeping a raw guy like McNeil (spelling?) and hoping you can train him to be more.

On the field, Carry J hasn't flashed at all. Not once as a Seahawk but there are several games to be played.
(Then again sometimes when guys just don't live up to expectations they could be hurt, but I am pretty sure I have seen a few teams gut his coverage like a fish when he was an Eagle, so I am hopeful but not foolish enough to be optimistic here)

What does it cost if this is a mistake? What does it cost later if we wait?

To me the guy stinks of Jennings enough that I worry. If it was a rookie? maybe but a vet should have some ball instincts and he is not going to magically get them just because the uniform is a different color.

I don't like the sunk cost issue, because sunk costs just become larger costs over time when you go with a bad decision. Maybe you leave that time to pan out but sometimes you have to take a Harvin (ie cut a non-producer and take the cap hit in the near term), suck it up, and save cap room for paying guys like Kam.

We will see.
Stop already.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Ah, the weekly "cut Cary Williams" thread. Classic.

Someone should make a poll: who would you want to see cut more? Williams or Kearse?

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2nq9veb6 said:
He doesn't have the safety protection he will during the season. I am not too worried.
This.

Also I do not think anyone expected him to come in and kill it at his spot. I didn't notice any huge mistakes,, but I also wasn't focused on his play too much.

His gguarantees equates to him making the roster unless he has Percy lime issues, and we know that is not the case. He will be here starting or backing up.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
This is really just a one year deal and to a certain degree a hedge. I see Shead as the starter and CW a backup that's gone after the season.

Going into the season we had maxwell gone , lane hurt and the LOB in the hospital.

Tical21

Reaction score
I don't think it is feasible to cut Williams until after next season, unless he plays really poorly. They had to do it. They paid market rate for an average corner because otherwise they would have had to rely on Tharold Simon, which unfortunately they just don't have the luxury of doing.

jake206

Reaction score
Cary's too expensive to cut right now, maybe next year. He'll be our benchwarming slot DB, in near future.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Maxwell was average last year.

I dont know why peeps are complaining, Thomas has always been the key to the passing D opposite Sherman's side.

Williams has been playing with backups and honestly the only play ive seen that was completely bad was the miscommunication in zone coverage against Maclin. Maclin is a damn good WR who knows William's pretty well with thier time with the Eagles.

Im glad none of you haters are going to decide his fate. The dude is still learning to play Seahawks ball with the D not even close to being full strength. If you think, he's average now then its obvious that natural progression and a full strength secondary will bring his play up a notch.

The sense of entilism here is crazy... One mistake by a player in a meaningless game played to expose weaknesses that need to be worked on and its like the end of the world.

But I get it most of the people with a negative opinion are likely the ones who hated the signing and ofcourse they are going to tell us how much they are right and find every little thing to support thier claim.

Im glad the Seahawks dont work the way the fans do, half the team would be aborted, instead these dguys look at film and will coach these guys up and iron out the wrinkles like what Pre-Season is for... 3 weeks in and still 3 weeks away... Plenty enough time for these guys to get primed and gel together to start playing thier best ball.

RW92

Reaction score
jake206":zl7gepl3 said:
He's going to be replaced by midseason. Maybe used as occasional slot corner. But he has too many bad habits already. Younger DBs don't have that problem, easier to correct incorrect technique. My candidate to replace him Ty Smith.

I agree with you wholeheartedly my friend.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
In two preseason games (52 snaps), Cary Williams has allowed just one reception for 10 yards by Jeremy Maclin (zero yards after the catch), according to PFF.

He hasn't necessarily been great out there in coverage, but he also hasn't been terrible in coverage. People are overreacting after the loss of Maxwell and the fact that Sherman, Thomas, and Chancellor have not played.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
^ Thank you. People are straight being dumb with thier posts right now. One mistake and the sky is falling.

Heres a thought to the haters, about give a guy a chance and see how good he is with a full strength secondary and not gave knee jerk reactions off of one bad play against a very good WR after 2 pre-season games.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1vn8vbz3 said:
Are you basing that assessment on his actual plays or the performance of the defense as a whole? Genuinely curious. I saw him lose Maclin on a play near the endzone, but other than that, I'm not sure how often he's actually been tested; however, I've only seen the broadcast coverage so far.

Anyway, don't think there's much to take away regardless until we see him with Sherman, Earl and Chancellor.

Your assuming that Chancellor actually pulls his head out...

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":2e32noal said:
DavidSeven":2e32noal said:
Are you basing that assessment on his actual plays or the performance of the defense as a whole? Genuinely curious. I saw him lose Maclin on a play near the endzone, but other than that, I'm not sure how often he's actually been tested; however, I've only seen the broadcast coverage so far.

Anyway, don't think there's much to take away regardless until we see him with Sherman, Earl and Chancellor.

Your assuming that Chancellor actually pulls his head out...

Now who is being negative? J/K

You have to assume it, because the alternative of Bailey starting is too frightening to consider.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2edoz0bw said:
In two preseason games (52 snaps), Cary Williams has allowed just one reception for 10 yards by Jeremy Maclin (zero yards after the catch), according to PFF.

He hasn't necessarily been great out there in coverage, but he also hasn't been terrible in coverage. People are overreacting after the loss of Maxwell and the fact that Sherman, Thomas, and Chancellor have not played.

CUT HIM!

AVL

Reaction score
I'm taking the approach that he and his competition preform well and he and his contract are traded for some value to some obscure team before the deadline.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
AVL":3kjfg1yz said:
I'm taking the approach that he and his competition preform well and he and his contract are traded for some value to some obscure team before the deadline.

99% sure they wont cut him.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Keenan Allen toasted him a couple times. And Cary got bailed out by Keenan Allen dropping the TD.